2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
Middler

I won’t be leaving the pin in next year, will others?

Nice there won’t be a penalty, but I don’t plan to leave the pin in under the new rules if I’m putting from on the green. If a putt is moving a little too fast, instead of dropping in, I suspect it’ll bounce off the pin and not go in. And on the courses I play, some pins aren’t perfectly straight up, so the ball might bounce off those leaning toward you when they’d otherwise go in. You? I don’t leave the pin in when putting/chipping from off the green if it’s leaning toward me now.

• Like 2

I always pull it while putting. I don't know if it makes a difference but in my mind, if it bounces off the pin, I feel like it should have gone in (even if it wouldn't have). Actually, I would rather miss with the pin out than make it with the pin in. It feels like backstopping the ball to me. If I didn't hit a putt well enough, it shouldn't go in. 

• Like 4

I leave it in now when playing alone just to save time but if I’m with a group i have no plans to leave it in
same for me.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I leave it in now when playing alone just to save time but if I’m with a group i have no plans to leave it in

I do the same if I'm solo I leave it in now if I'm playing with as much as one more it comes out. I will continue to do this also.

• Like 2

Long putts that currently need the pin tended I’ll probably leave the pin in, most others I’ll probably remove it. If my playing partners leave it in and make more putts I may change my tune.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I’ll most definitely be leaving it in when I play solo rounds.

• Like 2

I always take the pin out if I can see the hole.  I mark my ball then walk up to the flag (on the high side) reading the green as I go.  After taking the flag out, I take one look from the hole back to the ball, then walk back (on the low side) to my ball.  1 last read from ball to hole, place ball, 2 practice strokes to get my feel for distance, address the ball, and hit the putt.  Been using this routine for 2 years whether I am alone or with somebody and won't be changing anytime soon.

• Like 2

I do also.

I think there maybe times when I leave it in just as there are times when I leave it in when chipping. It all depends which will give me the best opportunity to make the putt or chip. Using the pin as a back stop on a uphill putt hit firmly intrigues me.

If I’m putting while looking at the hole I will leave it in unless it will slow down play with a group.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Go for the Crossfield Tap and Attend... 😃

Also, how am I going to use my Ping Fetch with the flag in?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bergtaur said:

Go for the Crossfield Tap and Attend... 😃

Also, how am I going to use my Ping Fetch with the flag in?

Ha, I don't plan on putting all season, I will hole out on every shot and shoot 36. 😄

• Like 3

I'll leave the pin in whenever I'm far enough away that distance control becomes questionable.  If the ball is going too fast to drop, hitting the pin will, on average, leave the ball closer than having it fly past.  Collisions absorb energy, leaving less kinetic energy (speed).  If a putt is off-center and going at lip-out speed, the pin may slow the ball enough to make it drop.  For putts at close to the right speed, things will even out.  A few will get captured only because they hit the pin, a few will be bounced out that otherwise would have gone in.   Exceptions will be for a pin that's getting blown around by the wind, or pins that are off-center or leaning the wrong way.  But from maybe 15 feet out, I'll leave it in most of the time.  I'll use backstopping, as long as its legal. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

+1.  Besides, under my rules of solo play, a "leaner" counts as a -1 stroke 👍.

• Like 2

I'm not sure yet.  I doubt it will make much difference for me, but I will evaluate it as the year goes by.  Like @WEDGIE, I look at the hole, so it might provide some value.  I wonder if the slope of the green is more evident with the pin in??  I rarely blast a putt by the hole, so I don't see it as much of a backstop issue.  We have a few hole locations of some of our greens that are near parts of the greens that go to another level.  I would not want to hit the pin and have it ricochet 20 feet away; the pin will be coming out then.  

• Like 2

When I go out alone I usually will pull the pin once I can see the hole and don't plan on changing.

Part of my preshot routine is to walk on the low side and read the elevation change on my way. Then read from the hole back to my ball.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 10/24/2018 at 5:54 PM, Mr_Theoo said:

Ditto

Rarely take the Flag Stick out now. Nothing is going to change.

I use the common sense rules of golf when practicing and playing alone.

• Like 3

Back to how we played in the 1950’s....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy