Middler

I won’t be leaving the pin in next year, will others?

I have been trying more and more to keep the flag in. Most of the articles I have read say there is an advantage to leaving it in. But when I get inside 10-15 feet I just seem to get distracted visually having the flag in. I will keep trying to make my way to having it in more often as I get closer to the hole. It will just take some time getting used to.

• Like 2

I sort of like having the pin in. It really gives me some better depth perception of where the hole is.  Now my aiming point is the flagstick instead of the hole. Works really well on longer putts, and for shorter putts I tend to “baby” them, having the pin in on the shorter putts gives me a bit more confidence to strike the ball with a  it more authority, and I am making a lot more shorter putts. I let may not work for some folks, and that’s okay,  a little communication to the members of the group and having the flag in/out is no problem at all. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've already gone back to taking it out. I tried and it gives me a bad visual of the hole.

Driver: Titleist 915D3 Diamana White XS
FW: Cobra Fly-Z 16.5 Adila Proto XS
Hybrid: Adams Boxer Proto Gold 19 Adila Proto XS
Irons: Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG X100
Wedges: Vokey 50-54-58
Putter: Odyssey Versa #7

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, chisag said:

What it does do is speed up play and it is just much more convenient. And as I have said earlier it stops the morons from sticking their putter in the hole and yanking the ball out, often doing damage to the hole. It also stops folks from dropping the flag and putting any marks on the green.

Seems to me those are all very good reasons to ignore all studies, and old habits, and just leave the flag stick in and just stroke your putt(s) and play on.

I'd also add occasionally one of those (people) damage the edge of the cup either when pulling the flag or when jamming it back in without looking....

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

I sort of like having the pin in. It really gives me some better depth perception of where the hole is.  Now my aiming point is the flagstick instead of the hole. Works really well on longer putts, and for shorter putts I tend to “baby” them, having the pin in on the shorter putts gives me a bit more confidence to strike the ball with a  it more authority, and I am making a lot more shorter putts. I let may not work for some folks, and that’s okay,  a little communication to the members of the group and having the flag in/out is no problem at all. 

👍

I think taking a dogmatic approach to this topic isn't good.  I think you need to look into how the flag is setting.  If the flag is leaning toward you, then you should probably pull the pin.  My approach will be solely dependent on what's going on around me.  uphill, downhill, windy, wet, etc.  I think more than not, i'll leave the flag stick in.  I also believe it will be dependent on my playing mates too.  I don't want to require someone else to have to put the flag in adding to time and what not.  

I definitely believe there's a lot of factors and definitely things to think about.  

• Like 1

[mention=42521]Kenny B[/mention][mention=291]chisag[/mention]  Adam & MGS have responded!  
  https://www.instagram.com/tv/BwZuALfHZ7g/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
Bwahahahaha!!!! I had a playing partner tell me about this article. I saw the first part that I responded about above, but part two, once i read it, made me cringe. It doesn't say anything that my buddy claimed it does, but the fact that he is a Professor made this the "authoritative" report on whether to leave it in or not.

I'm with Adam on this one. This study was full of so much nonsense that has nothing to do with an actual study on this that I am worried for the future of our country if our kids are being educated by folks like this.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I always pull it while putting. I don't know if it makes a difference but in my mind, if it bounces off the pin, I feel like it should have gone in (even if it wouldn't have). Actually, I would rather miss with the pin out than make it with the pin in. It feels like backstopping the ball to me. If I didn't hit a putt well enough, it shouldn't go in. 
Interesting thought. Idk, the rules are what they are. Might as well use them to your advantage. If you have to much speed and the pin slows the ball down then your are playing within the rules

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I play relatively often with the Assistant Pro at my home course. He and I leave the pin in. He and I both feel like it gives us a beacon at the end of our scene line for the putt.

• Like 2

I play relatively often with the Assistant Pro at my home course. He and I leave the pin in. He and I both feel like it gives us a beacon at the end of our scene line for the putt.

I thought the same thing and gave it a try. It just messes with me visually so I take the pin out. Lasted 5 rounds.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

I saw a rare thing at our course today, a 2 ball behind us pulling every pin for every putt. We didnt pull it once, even for short putts. We ended up getting further and further ahead of them. I'm convinced it helps to speed up play.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I thought the same thing and gave it a try. It just messes with me visually so I take the pin out. Lasted 5 rounds.

Take Dead Aim

I certainly do not think it is for everyone. We all have different preferences for life and golf. Do what makes us comfortable and keeps our heads straight.

• Like 2

These discussions that largely come down to personal preference are always interesting.  You get to see what others are thinking while they play. 

For years I've left the flag in because I play many rounds alone.  It helped to see the hole on long putts and it was quicker.  A good portion of the time I took it out though.  I would generally pace off my putt's distance and as I passed the flag would take it out and throw it down.  I still do this out of habit even though its not necessary and don't mind the flag in.  I understand many of the pros/cons to flag-in vs flag-out in terms of helping you hole more putts, but if I'm honest leaving the flag-in was mostly a matter of convenience (or laziness).  My gut tells me that unless you could guarantee you hit the flagstick dead on every single time then it is likely a push.  Flag-in or flag-out, you will win some and lose some.  For me, the rule change hasn't really changed how I play especially when alone.

A possible downside to this rule change is I can see how it might slow down a foursome's play if some want the flag always in and some want it always out. 

• Like 2

I like the rule change since I started leaving the flag in when putting last year to speed up time on the green.  It also helps with undulating greens where you can’t see the hole on long putts.

• Like 2

I'm am in the 'leave it in' camp here.  I  always left it in anyway on solo practice rounds, so it feels fairly normal for me.

Over the last few months I have noticed fewer players taking it out than did in January.  I think the feeling of it being 'new and different' is wearing off a bit now.

Edited by Pandaman
  • Like 1

Well, I've been in the "I don't care" camp, but today hit a really nice longer putt that hit the stick dead center and then careened off and didn't go in.  I don't think it was too fast, but there you go.  It was a scramble and the next putter also hit one going right toward the hole.  I pulled the pin and his hit the back of the cup and didn't fall in.  Go figure.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.