TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where is your putter shaft located and why?

StrokerAce

I've always used a heel shafted putter...probably because that was the most common...but have toyed with the idea of trying a center shafted model.

Anyone make the switch/try both and notice much of a difference?  Visually, it just seems that it might be easier to be consistent ...  I have a tendency to push when I don't close the toe enough and then I over-correct and pull because I close the toe too early.

Thoughts?  

BTW - I found a couple of cheap Odyssey #5 on flea bay for around 20-30 bucks I was thinking about.  One can never have too many!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've always had a heel shafted putter.  I've never tried anything else.  Food for thought.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

The location the Shaft would intersect the head influences the rate of rotation for the putter. Based on your miss pattern you can help to correct the miss with the shaft location and offset. This is generally related to the putters toe hang. This is not hosel type or where the hosel connects to the head. I am addressing the point where if you were to draw a line straight down the shaft from butt end to the head that the string would intersect the head.

Based on my tendencies, I need a putter that is close to heel shafted, minimal offset, and almost toe down. My stroke is left biased and I stand off the ball. because of this I need more toe hang so the putter is a bit open at impact.

Center shafted putters are interesting in the fact that they don’t generally have a rotation bias. The can rotate open as easily as closed. They are generally face balanced with Seemore being an exception to that rule.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know that where the shaft intersects the head is what matters but, I would much rather have a double bend shaft in the heel as opposed to a center shafted model. For whatever reason, it messes with my head and I hit it off the toe. I always think the shaft needs to be on heel. It seems like it would be easier move the face left or right, (even though it isn't). 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I know that where the shaft intersects the head is what matters but, I would much rather have a double bend shaft in the heel as opposed to a center shafted model. For whatever reason, it messes with my head and I hit it off the toe. I always think the shaft needs to be on heel. It seems like it would be easier move the face left or right, (even though it isn't). 

Perception of how the putter is acting during the stroke and how our vision impacts the stroke are two areas that people neglect. These feels are causing you to change your stroke. Not every putter works for everyone. I don’t personally think a center shafted putter provides much benefit.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Perception of how the putter is acting during the stroke and how our vision impacts the stroke are two areas that people neglect. These feels are causing you to change your stroke. Not every putter works for everyone. I don’t personally think a center shafted putter provides much benefit.

No benefit at all.  In fact, most top fitters steer customers away from them

don't get me wrong but isn't the idea behind putting to hit the ball with a square face on your intended line?  that may not guarantee a make - especially if your line is off - but at least if you can consistently hit the ball in the middle with a square face you have a good start.

now whether that happens with the shaft in the middle, in the heel, in the back, on the toe....whatever....as long as you can execute repeatedly what does it matter?

Like you said, not every putter works for everyone....the CS model helped Zach win some majors and a few tournaments.... but then that was just him; many others have done it other ways.

This is a blurb on CS vs heel...

Most putters are heel powered - that is, the motion is generated from the heel, which is where the shaft enters the putter head. Unless of course the putter is center shafted. This is pertinent because as the energy/power in a stroke dissipates (deceleration), the toe will have a tendency to continue closing. If there is too much acceleration through impact the toe will have a tendency to remain open and leads to missed putts to the right (speaking as a right hander). If you tend to accelerate (too much!) or decelerate through impact you might want to try a center shafted putter.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

don't get me wrong but isn't the idea behind putting to hit the ball with a square face on your intended line? 

My answer to that is that it depends on your stroke and ball position. For my stroke I need the putter to be slightly open to the intended line.

Face angle accounts for 83-90% of the balls direction, based on who you are quoting. The remaining percentage is putter path. Most people have a path bias slightly left or right. Because if this a square putter at impact will start slightly offline.

My choices would be to work on the perfect stroke or accept the bias and find a putter that is slightly open at impact. This concept is the same as is done with full swing clubs.

Lots of choices for a player to make, just need to understand the impact of the decisions you make and how well they hold up under pressure.

No benefit at all.  In fact, most top fitters steer customers away from them

Wasn’t trying to debate the merits of center shafted. I agree with that opinion but there are people that love them.

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

My answer to that is that it depends on your stroke and ball position. For my stroke I need the putter to be slightly open to the intended line.

Face angle accounts for 83-90% of the balls direction, based on who you are quoting. The remaining percentage is putter path. Most people have a path bias slightly left or right. Because if this a square putter at impact will start slightly offline.

My choices would be to work on the perfect stroke or accept the bias and find a putter that is slightly open at impact. This concept is the same as is done with full swing clubs.

Lots of choices for a player to make, just need to understand the impact of the decisions you make and how well they hold up under pressure.

And that is where offset comes in. The more bias you you need to correct for, the more offset you need. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

To say that there is NO benefit AT ALL is short-sighted and myopic....

Why Center Shafted Putters?

Center-shafted putters are exactly what you’d think they would be: putters with a shaft that connects in the center of the club head instead of on the side. This configuration has some advantages, especially if you’re right eye dominant. The best putters are the ones that increase your line of sight and help you putt better; for some people center-shafted is the ideal choice.

Most center-shafted putters are face-balanced, meaning that the weight is evenly distributed between the heel and the toe of the club. Face-balancing is best for a player who swings straight back and follows through with a straight stroke. The center-shafting allows a player to move their hands lower on the grip, moving the swing axis closer to the ball. This position gives a golfer better control and more feedback.

Center-shafted putters shine at allowing you to move into a position where you’re standing directly over the ball. With the shaft slightly behind the head and your eye right over the ball, missing your putts isn’t an option if you’re right eye dominant or lack an eye dominance. Left eye dominant players may still struggle for an ideal view of their ball, though.

Still, some players prefer the added challenge that heel-shafted putters provide. If you tend to swing in an arc, the center-shafted putter isn’t going to be the best option for you, since it typically demands a pendulum-style swing. Other players find that playing most of their game with heel-balanced clubs before switching to a center-shafted putter on the green is disorienting.

Next time you find yourself three-putting with a vengeance, consider adding a center-shafted putter to your bag. Not only will it give you more control by minimizing the need to involve your wrists when you putt, it’ll improve your visual on the ball, making those nifty alignment aids easier to use.

Share this:

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Wasn’t trying to debate the merits of center shafted. I agree with that opinion but there are people that love them.

Oh absolutely - options are great.  And I am sure there are people that putt best with a center shafted putter. But there's a reason that you almost never see them played on tour and most companies only have one or two in their lineup - they simply aren't the best performance option for the majority of golfers.

And that is where offset comes in. The more bias you you need to correct for, the more offset you need. 

From what I have been shown: if you start the ball too far right increase offset and too far left decrease offset.

You can also change shaft intersection point, weight, or grip style. It is all about finding the right configuration to work for all length putts.

Both of the putters I used this year are face-balanced, but one has a center shaft, the other a heel shaft. I feel like the center shafted putter has a tendency to rotate more easily, but probably has more to do with the lower MOI than my heel shafted putter. I go through good and bad phases with both of them but my stance at address feels more natural/comfortable to me with the center shafted putter. Does it all mean anything? I have no idea, but I continue to be a streaky putter.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

6 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Both of the putters I used this year are face-balanced, but one has a center shaft, the other a heel shaft. I feel like the center shafted putter has a tendency to rotate more easily, but probably has more to do with the lower MOI than my heel shafted putter. I go through good and bad phases with both of them but my stance at address feels more natural/comfortable to me with the center shafted putter. Does it all mean anything? I have no idea, but I continue to be a streaky putter.

Thanks Max!  Just what I was looking for.  👍

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

To say that there is NO benefit AT ALL is short-sighted and myopic....>

We all have opinions based on what we have learned. Center shafted may be perfect for you, I have just been taught that they cause more problems than they help. Find the putter that works for you center shafted or not but I don’t think my dismissal of center shafted is either short sighted or myopic. I have used center shafted, even center shafted with offset and after learning more about how my stroke works won’t go back to one.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

We all have opinions based on what we have learned. Center shafted may be perfect for you, I have just been taught that they cause more problems than they help. Find the putter that works for you center shafted or not but I don’t think my dismissal of center shafted is either short sighted or myopic.

..I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.  if you would have said it didn't have any benefit at all for you then of course...but to make a blanket statement that there is no benefit whatsoever is an opinion and not a fact.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

..I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.  if you would have said it didn't have any benefit at all for you then of course...but to make a blanket statement that there is no benefit whatsoever is an opinion and not a fact.

We will have to disagree on this. I am basing my statements on what I have been taught by a putting specific instructor who has done extensive research on the impact of shaft location

One of the guys I play with during the week has a center-shafted putter, and he does very well with it although I don't know why, but he sets up off the ball.  I've tried them and they don't work for me, but I set up with my eyes on top of the ball, and heel-shafted face-balanced putters work better; some a lot better than others though.  I probably need a high MOI putter because I am not looking at the ball when I make the stroke.  I suppose I miss exact center a little (not much), so the center-shaft putter would tend to twist a little more.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Max, the two way ease of rotation is exactly why center shafted putters are often not good fits for the the majority of golfers.

We will have to disagree on this. I am basing my statements on what I have been taught by a putting specific instructor who has done extensive research on the impact of shaft location
Every fitter I've worked with and the guys over at TXG would agree with you.

Every fitter I've worked with and the guys over at TXG would agree with you.

If we ignore yours and my statements, any change should be evaluated for what the person is trying to fix or accomplish. I just don’t see what a center shaft can help with that I can’t accomplish with something else and whatever you fix comes at the loss of face control which to me is a huge negative.

Here is a video of a putter fitting, and the fitter goes into explaining why he stays away from center shafted putters (starts at 30:19 of the video)

He actually calls center shafted putters "disaster zone" and TXG, one of the top fitting studios IN THE WORLD, doesn't even stock center shafted putters for fittings

This MGS or WRX??

I'm outta here...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

You said you close the toe too early and that you think a center shafted putter might help you.

You were provided with facts that show a center shafted putter is less stable and would be subject to further toe rotation, and thus would hurt you more.

Sorry for giving you information to help you?

I rotate in and out 3 putters basically every round I play. A Ping Tess, an Odyssey Versa #9 and a $40 Pinseeker center shafted. The Ping app suggested I use the first two given the strong toe hang. Although center shafted the Pinseeker has a lot of toe hang as well.

Best putting day of my life was with the Versa. Most consistent putter of all 3 is the Tess. The Tess is also the only of the 3 I look at the hole when I putt with it. But if I have a dead straight putt I will choose the center shafted Pinseeker all day long regardless of length. I have a golf trip next week and the Pinseeker is the putter making the trip mostly because I don’t have a ton of rounds with it but each round seems to get better.

I guess the point is who the hell knows what works best?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Heel shafted has always been my preference and matches my putting stroke. I’ve toyed with center shafted models but never committed to one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:29 PM, cnosil said:

You are dead on it about the stroke part of it. I have always been an arc putter and have always putted with heel shafted putters. Never could get my eyes lined up with a center shafted. The only time I successfully used a center shafted putter was when I was experimenting around with a B-90 I Ping ski pole putter. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 months later...

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading and a lot of speaking with someone in the puttermaking world and now I’m questioning everything about shaft position as it relates to anything. I do now own one of their putters and it’s the only one I know of that squares itself regardless of stroke type. The question he’s also asked is who determined what shaft position fits what type of stroke as it’s all just the person manipulating the putter not the putter working better for a stroke type.

Theres a LOT of intriguing info he’s been sharing and I’d love to see how their product would do in most wanted testing. They’ve said they’d submit for it but haven’t been asked. 

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived