TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stability putter shafts - hot or not?

cksurfdude

So I've been curious about this - and had suggested on #AskMyGolfSpy to test putter shafts - and received this email from Breakthrough Golf Technology (copied in below) about how their Stability shaft can lead to better putts.

They also link to a review from TXG...

https://youtu.be/bIuUHrnUDiU

So...

• Anyone tried one of these?

• Did you see a difference in your putting?

-----

-----

Which is Better to Lower Scores, Driver or Putter?

Seems like golfers won't hesitate to spend $500 on a new driver. But in reality, the best way to shoot lower scores is with your putter.

The putter shaft is the engine of all putters. Putting is 46% of the game, so most golfers will save significantly more strokes with improved putting vs. how many fairways they hit. In fact, the fastest way to lower scores is to have a putter shaft that will produce consistent results every time you putt.

The truth is that there hasn't been any technology or innovation in steel putter shafts for over 50+ years. It's a simple steel pipe. Over the years, head designs for putters have evolved and gotten dramatically heavier. This has resulted in shafts that are not stable enough to keep these heavier, advanced putter heads from oscillating, twisting and turning.

Your steel putter shaft can actually miss a putt; even with a good stroke. And practicing with a steel putter shaft will have you reacting to its flaws rather than your stroke. This is regardless of your brand or style of putter, skill level or how much you practice.

The Stability Shaft removes inconsistencies that current putter shafts have and helps compensate for mistakes golfers make. It limits unwanted movement by stiffening the shaft by 25% without abolishing feel and reducing torque by almost 50%, to deliver the club face squarer at impact. 

Stability will help unleash your full putting potential. In fact, industry putting expert, Jim MacKay states that it's "impossible not to putt better with the Stability Shaft.”

Watch the TXG Tour Experience Golf Review HERE

Fastest growing putter shaft on the PGA, Champions, web.com & LPGA Tours

90% of golfers say Stability had a more solid feel

56% immediately experience an improvement in putting

-----

-----

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Yea I have definitely been intrigued by this shaft, especially after watching the TXG video a few weeks ago 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I think putter shafts are an untapped technology area and when they are marketed they have 2 problems. The first is that they are generally cost prohibitive. The second is that most people don’t think a putter or much about the putter can be improved with technology. There are some truths to both of those statements but for putting I think I the benefits are more long term than individual shot based which makes it hard for people to see a true benefit.

With other clubs we see increased distance, better launch conditions, or better control. Selling better distance control or better start line is a hard think to show without thinks like a Puttlab; which most places don’t have available.

The think that makes sense is that for heavier heads, there may be some variation in how the putter squares at impact with this shaft versus a traditional shaft The question is how consistent is that variability across putts.

If the stability shaft helps return the putter to the correct position at impact with better speed control, it will definitely improve performance long term. Reasoning: if I am better at controlling speed and starting the ball on line, I will improve my green reading over time because I have a better result to evaluate the next putt. This is why I say it isn’t an immediate improvement; my historical knowledge is still referencing putts that don’t start on the correct line which impacts my read.

The follow on question would be can you find a less expensive putter that allows you to control line and speed better. I yes, the shaft isn’t worth the cost.

Just my $0.02

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think putter shafts are an untapped technology area and when they are marketed they have 2 problems. The first is that they are generally cost prohibitive. The second is that most people don’t think a putter or much about the putter can be improved with technology. There are some truths to both of those statements but for putting I think I the benefits are more long term than individual shot based which makes it hard for people to see a true benefit.

With other clubs we see increased distance, better launch conditions, or better control. Selling better distance control or better start line is a hard think to show without thinks like a Puttlab; which most places don’t have available.

The think that makes sense is that for heavier heads, there may be some variation in how the putter squares at impact with this shaft versus a traditional shaft The question is how consistent is that variability across putts.

If the stability shaft helps return the putter to the correct position at impact with better speed control, it will definitely improve performance long term. Reasoning: if I am better at controlling speed and starting the ball on line, I will improve my green reading over time because I have a better result to evaluate the next putt. This is why I say it isn’t an immediate improvement; my historical knowledge is still referencing putts that don’t start on the correct line which impacts my read.

The follow on question would be can you find a less expensive putter that allows you to control line and speed better. I yes, the shaft isn’t worth the cost.

Just my $0.02
That was more than 2¢ worth of ideas and comments! Some good thoughts in there, thx.

It is a tough thing to evaluate.

But... Just musing "out loud"... Many players will buy a whole new putter if they've got the idea in their head it's going to help them make more putts.

So... What if instead of a whole putter you took a player who has a properly fit putter and swapped in this shaft - into the current head and set to match their fitting specs...?

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

24 minutes ago, jlukes said:

There is definitely something to say about the technology.  I think it comes down to price point and tour adoption at this point.  

Also, isn't Odyssey releasing their new line of putters with their take on a more stable putting shaft?

That is at least the assumption with the Stroke Lab line

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

I went through a SAM lab “confirmation” for my Edel fitting at Club Champion and we talked about this shaft. General feedback from the fitter was did this cure the ills of a person putting to the point it’s s worth the cost? That comes down to personal choice. For me, no way. It doesn’t make THAT much of a difference for me to justify it. It’s how I view putters and their cost, generally. It’s like all things, some will swear by it and justify the cost, others won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Watched the video... Lack of comparison to another shaft is a fail.

Buddy of mine put one in as soon as they can out, supposed to be the best, at 200 bones it better be good, I tried it a couple times, it seemed like another putter shaft. After trying it a couple times, there’s no way I spending that kind of cash on a putter shaft that isn’t really all that. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

That was more than 2¢ worth of ideas and comments! Some good thoughts in there, thx.

It is a tough thing to evaluate.

But... Just musing "out loud"... Many players will buy a whole new putter if they've got the idea in their head it's going to help them make more putts.

So... What if instead of a whole putter you took a player who has a properly fit putter and swapped in this shaft - into the current head and set to match their fitting specs...?

It is tough to evaluate and if you are a putters shouldn't cost more than $100 a $200 shaft isn't going to make sense.  I would love to try one and see what it can do.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The main reason for this shaft is to be more stable right? Why not just cut down a X-stiff driver shaft like BD? That will take all of the instability out of it. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On 10/25/2018 at 6:00 PM, PMookie said:

Which has been my main issue with those two guys on TXG.  They could easily have made putts with a standard steel shaft and that head and then the CF shaft and compared the results.  Yet they go on and on for 30 minutes talking about something that could be done in 10 minutes.  I so much want to watch them but too much yap, yap, yap.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

The main reason for this shaft is to be more stable right? Why not just cut down a X-stiff driver shaft like BD? That will take all of the instability out of it. 

There really isn’t a lot of info on the shaft but my guess would be the feel would change with a graphite shaft. ACCRA makes graphite putter shafts that you select based on tempo. They have been around for a while and are $100. The limited reviews I have read on the shaft are pretty generic and non descript.

I am also interested in learning more about the new Odyssey shaft that is on their new stroke lab putters. Supposed to be similar in concept to the breakthrough technology shaft.

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is tough to evaluate and if you are a putters shouldn't cost more than $100 a $200 shaft isn't going to make sense.  I would love to try one and see what it can do.  

I am wanting to try one too but want to see a couple more tests. If it does close to what they claim then I'm all in and throwing this in my ER2 with a P2 grip to create a Cheat Stick!

I went through a SAM lab “confirmation” for my Edel fitting at Club Champion and we talked about this shaft. General feedback from the fitter was did this cure the ills of a person putting to the point it’s s worth the cost? That comes down to personal choice. For me, no way. It doesn’t make THAT much of a difference for me to justify it. It’s how I view putters and their cost, generally. It’s like all things, some will swear by it and justify the cost, others won’t.

Good point - I think your comments kinda dovetail with cnosil's eg. it's hard to quantify .. even within a putter fitting .. the value, or not, probably has to be _carefully_ tracked over time / over many rounds...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I'm not sure, just guessing, but are putter shafts heavier and have less taper?
(If so you'd end up with something very different than intended.)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Agreed.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone saw the below MGS Tweet,  but was at the lab doing some testing so I thought I would give the stability shaft a try.  After reading other reviews I thought there had to be more to it since they were pretty generic.  MY take is that they are generic for a reason, it is hard to describe what or if the shaft is doing anything.  I tried rolling short and long putts and felt like my results with each were the same.  They do feel different but really hard to describe how they feel different.  Maybe more solid is a good description.  After hearing some of the background about how this was designed because heads have gotten heavier my thought is that the benefits may be realized more for quicker tempo strokes where a normal shaft may have more deflection.  Would I put one in one of my putters,  sure,  but not for the $200 price tag.  

Yeah, just not going to pay for one. Could I make a putt instead of lipping-out if I used this shaft? Maybe. I’d rather get an 3X-Stiff shaft and do the same thing for a LOT cheaper....

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the video. I am very intrigued by this! 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Hoping to be part of the official MGS testing of this shaft.  I keep picking up these putters and trying them when I am at headquarters and I have to say the more I try the stability shaft the more I like it.  It is really hard to describe the feeling or how the shaft impacts your stroke, but it does seem to provide some benefit. 

Hoping to be part of the official MGS testing of this shaft.  I keep picking up these putters and trying them when I am at headquarters and I have to say the more I try the stability shaft the more I like it.  It is really hard to describe the feeling or how the shaft impacts your stroke, but it does seem to provide some benefit. 
I wonder if if the benefits/performance of it is more apparent depending on the head weight of the putter

Just now, jlukes said:
5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I wonder if if the benefits/performance of it is more apparent depending on the head weight of the putter

One of the things talked about in the description is that it was designed because of the heavier putter head weights.   I think the other aspect that should be considered is the players tempo.  I would think that with a slower tempo there wouldn't be as much benefit.   

• 1 month later...

I played with a guy yesterday that had a Stability Shaft in his SC putter head. (I think a Concept X) This same guy I've played with a few times over the past year. I can't recall or say whether he's a good putter or not. But he is a decent player generally. However, yesterday his putting sucked and I'm sure he'd admit the same. Do I accuse the putter/shaft combo or the player for his poor performance? I'd say the player. IMO it doesn't matter how much tech or fitting, etc is involved. If you can't square up the face of any club your results will be poor. I will also say there is probably something to the Stability Shaft. Barney Adams didn't dream this up as a con. Hardly. But it's not something I believe will noticeably benefit that many golfers. Putting is a strange animal and a very distinct part of the game. Apart from all other aspects of the game - driving, ironing, chipping, etc - putting is an enigma. For instance, how many very good players (0-5 hcp) have you known/played with who are really sharp/solid tee to green but once on the putting surface they struggle day after day year after year?  Or...how many weekend 6-pack players have you played with; always carding high scores but somehow putt good once they find the green? I've played with plenty of both. Putting is strange... you either have it mentally and or mechnicanically or you don't IMO. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 1/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I played with a guy yesterday that had a Stability Shaft in his SC putter head. (I think a Concept X) This same guy I've played with a few times over the past year. I can't recall or say whether he's a good putter or not. But he is a decent player generally. However, yesterday his putting sucked and I'm sure he'd admit the same. Do I accuse the putter/shaft combo or the player for his poor performance? I'd say the player. IMO it doesn't matter how much tech or fitting, etc is involved. If you can't square up the face of any club your results will be poor. I will also say there is probably something to the Stability Shaft. Barney Adams didn't dream this up as a con. Hardly. But it's not something I believe will noticeably benefit that many golfers. 

Putting is a strange animal and a very distinct part of the game.

Apart from all other aspects of the game - driving, ironing, chipping, etc - putting is an enigma. For instance, how many very good players (0-5 hcp) have you known/played with who are really sharp/solid tee to green but once on the putting surface they struggle day after day year after year?  Or...how many weekend 6-pack players have you played with; always carding high scores but somehow putt good once they find the green? I've played with plenty of both. Putting is strange... you either have it mentally and or mechnicanically or you don't IMO. 

Oh yeah, it is ... "the game within the game" some old guy once said 😉

Good comments, though - it will be interesting to see if this will garner any traction with the "weekend" crowd?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh yeah, it is ... "the game within the game" some old guy once said 😉

Good comments, though - it will be interesting to see if this will garner any traction with the "weekend" crowd?

I doubt it. I think this is a equipment junkie thing. I just don't see your weekend joe buying a $200 shaft for his putter. He'd buy a new putter over a new shaft. Heck, weekend golfers mostly have stock regular shafts in their drivers, which they care about a lot more than putters. To them, Distance is king!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

56 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I doubt it. I think this is a equipment junkie thing. I just don't see your weekend joe buying a $200 shaft for his putter. He'd buy a new putter over a new shaft. Heck, weekend golfers mostly have stock regular shafts in their drivers, which they care about a lot more than putters. To them, Distance is king!

Yeah, that's definitely going to be a big part of it. 

Even though - as we know - you only hit your driver a max of 14 times per round .. vs 36+ times for your putter .. yet many players very eagerly pony up $500+ for a new driver every year.....................................

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Going back and forth on this.  I'm an average putter and recently had a Club Champion fitting including getting on the SAM lab.  It was determined that my putting stroke was actually fairly good.  On the course, my main issue tends to be a misread or speed.  Most of the time, I'm getting the ball on my line that I've chosen.  

I've read some replies that this can help some with distance control, but what I find happens is that I will just lose my feel for distance after about 7-8 holes and then my confidence sort of goes with it. 

I've read some others are putting stiff iron shafts to help with stability.  Can anyone comment or even compare?  That would be a much cheaper way to go.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Going back and forth on this.  I'm an average putter and recently had a Club Champion fitting including getting on the SAM lab.  It was determined that my putting stroke was actually fairly good.  On the course, my main issue tends to be a misread or speed.  Most of the time, I'm getting the ball on my line that I've chosen.  
I've read some replies that this can help some with distance control, but what I find happens is that I will just lose my feel for distance after about 7-8 holes and then my confidence sort of goes with it. 
I've read some others are putting stiff iron shafts to help with stability.  Can anyone comment or even compare?  That would be a much cheaper way to go.

What do you mean you lose your feel for distance? What is your current approach to distance control and how off do you get? The shaft wouldn’t fix being off by feet, the theory would be that the face angle is more consistent so you are making better contact.

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you mean you lose your feel for distance? What is your current approach to distance control and how off do you get? The shaft wouldn’t fix being off by feet, the theory would be that the face angle is more consistent so you are making better contact.

Hard to explain it - i'll practice all sorts of drills for distance control and feel that I have them down pat, then out on the course I'll just lose it.  

I agree that contact and face angle do help and I had some adjustments done to my putter at club champion that I believe will help get the ball rolling more quickly.  Just psych myself out I guess.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"