TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stability putter shafts - hot or not?

cksurfdude

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Watched this right when it hit YouTube, and it REALLY has me thinking about a Stability shaft now! I was COMPLETELY surprised by the results.

I haven't watched the video yet,  but do you want to share the results?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Performed so well for Matt that Ian said it was the perfect shaft for Matt, and actually, the Cally putter head was the best head for Matt! Combining the Cally head and Stability shaft would be money. The Stroke Lab shaft was more about weighting than affecting the results of the ball’s intended direction. Matt had three consecutive putts that he would’ve made well over 10’. Crazy results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

19 hours ago, PMookie said:

Performed so well for Matt that Ian said it was the perfect shaft for Matt, and actually, the Cally putter head was the best head for Matt! Combining the Cally head and Stability shaft would be money. The Stroke Lab shaft was more about weighting than affecting the results of the ball’s intended direction. Matt had three consecutive putts that he would’ve made well over 10’. Crazy results.

They were all good from 20' that's pretty crazy. I wish there was a way to test this that was softer on the wallet.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

I just saw your WITB in your signature. Did you just confirm the Most Wanted blade before the official article release? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Haha!

57 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I just saw your WITB in your signature. Did you just confirm the Most Wanted blade before the official article release? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Haha!

Nope,  didn't confirm anything as I don't know the results. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I toyed with the Odyssey Stroke Lab shaft today before my Epic Flash fitting. Definitely a different feel. Not really sure how to describe it.

The putter was too long and the mallet head wasn't my favorite, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. The feel wasn't bad, I think I could get use to it.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to have my PXG Bat Attack/Stability Putter shaft combo by Saturday so I'll definitely be posting some thoughts when I get the new setup in my bag. Right now I just have the standard KBS putter shaft and I'm excited to see the difference based on everything I've read and watched about the BGT shaft. Pics and thoughts coming soon!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

15 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

I'm hoping to have my PXG Bat Attack/Stability Putter shaft combo by Saturday so I'll definitely be posting some thoughts when I get the new setup in my bag. Right now I just have the standard KBS putter shaft and I'm excited to see the difference based on everything I've read and watched about the BGT shaft. Pics and thoughts coming soon!

Nice! Curious to see your impressions. Did you test the shaft during a fitting?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Nice! Curious to see your impressions. Did you test the shaft during a fitting?

I did not. I read up on the shaft and watched the TXG review on it and decided to give it a go. I putt pretty well with my Bat Attack so I should be able to tell somewhat quickly if it’s going to work out for me!

Will be interested in hearing your thoughts. After watching the TXG video, I still am not sold. Tried to compare the stability shaft against strikelab. Putters were similar but not exact and they even said they accomplished different things. Needs to be two identical putters one with each shaft to be a good comparison. Even with that, the putters weight will still be different so that could influence the results as well.

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Will be interested in hearing your thoughts. After watching the TXG video, I still am not sold. Tried to compare the stability shaft against strikelab. Putters were similar but not exact and they even said they accomplished different things. Needs to be two identical putters one with each shaft to be a good comparison. Even with that, the putters weight will still be different so that could influence the results as well.

I agree 100%. While it's pricey for a putter shaft, I'm of the opinion if it results in me making more putts it was worth the upgrade!

Edited by mr.hicksta

15 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

While it's pricey for a putter shaft, I'm of the opinion if it results in me making more putts it was worth the upgrade!

Yeah.. that's the point, as I see it also.

Has been discussed earlier - it may be difficult to quantify but if you feel it helps you sink one more putt per round then it's probably worth it! (..especially compared to the $$$ of a new driver or driver shaft or a famous name putter that people readily pony up for..)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Alright, I got mine back today and if anything, it looks freaking amazing!

IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG

I’m going to practice tomorrow and will be playing Ko’Olina Sunday so I’ll have more real world feedback soon.

Also, the TXG video on the BGT Stability shaft vs the Stroke Lab is pretty damn good. Worth checking out if you have the time!

One of them did produce putts that would have gone in from 20’, the other didn’t.
The putters in the MGS test aren’t same length, same weight, same everything are they?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

@mr.hicksta dang, that looks good.

While you guys are discussing Stroke Lab vs. Stability... I can't make a direct comparison between the two since I don't have a Stability shaft, but I will say that the Stroke Lab definitely feels different compared to a traditional steel-shafted putter. Can't say that it feels more stable per se, but different -- definitely.

I took it to work (where I took my Birdie Ball) and was rolling putts with it today. It does feel like my stroke is more consistent, but that might just be a placebo effect from the marketing. I'll take it though, putting is 90% mental to me anyways.

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

One of them did produce putts that would have gone in from 20’, the other didn’t.
The putters in the MGS test aren’t same length, same weight, same everything are they?

I understand your point and that is one perspective to use. The MGS test is what works best for the largest percentage of players.    I view the TXG test more as a fitting.  In the scenario presented in the video,  combination with the TXG shaft was a better fit,  my personal results may have been the complete opposite.    I'd love to dig into my own numbers comparing the two shafts.  

12 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

Alright, I got mine back today and if anything, it looks freaking amazing!

Yah Mon! Like the P2 on it, too - I also have a React on an MLA that I may end up moving over to the EvnRoll I'm using now. Good luck with that bad boy!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I played with a guy yesterday that had a Stability Shaft in his SC putter head. (I think a Concept X) This same guy I've played with a few times over the past year. I can't recall or say whether he's a good putter or not. But he is a decent player generally. However, yesterday his putting sucked and I'm sure he'd admit the same. Do I accuse the putter/shaft combo or the player for his poor performance? I'd say the player. IMO it doesn't matter how much tech or fitting, etc is involved. If you can't square up the face of any club your results will be poor. I will also say there is probably something to the Stability Shaft. Barney Adams didn't dream this up as a con. Hardly. But it's not something I believe will noticeably benefit that many golfers. Putting is a strange animal and a very distinct part of the game. Apart from all other aspects of the game - driving, ironing, chipping, etc - putting is an enigma. For instance, how many very good players (0-5 hcp) have you known/played with who are really sharp/solid tee to green but once on the putting surface they struggle day after day year after year?  Or...how many weekend 6-pack players have you played with; always carding high scores but somehow putt good once they find the green? I've played with plenty of both. Putting is strange... you either have it mentally and or mechnicanically or you don't IMO. 

I'm back with more.... Opinion -  Two products discussed.

I've been seeing this shaft used more often with certain tour players. Both PGA and LPGA. But, I don't think the so called or statistically good or great at putting are using this shaft. Why is that? But , who knows; some of them might make the switch looking for any fractional advantage they can find. Can't blame them. However, a putter right off the rack are about as good as they can be these days are they not? Therefore guys like us buy them for the advantage they claim they can or should produce. Then we as players go even further by replacing the grip hoping that will improve our putting even more. We buy counterbalanced putters or buy an insert to balance our putters. Now "golf" is telling us we need a new and different kind of shaft in our putters.... a $200 one in fact; and then we'll become even better. Really? No.  I hate to break it to everyone but it's you.  Now, I'm assuming you already have a decent putter and perhaps even a fitted one. But that's not all that important either. Again... IMO. It's you.

Some people are good putters with almost any stick in their hands. You know them. Other players drive the ball well but putt terribly. Same with irons or chipping. For any one player to have the complete - solid package tee to green is rare. I'm talking about amatures. Forget the Pros. People like us simply need to learn to putt better. No amount of technology is going to "make" you better if you can't produce a quality and repeatable stroke. There's also the mental side of putting; and with this game in general. Some players are just better at reading greens and then translating that mental image into a good stroke with the right feel and pace on the ball. Again, some people are just better at it. True? I think a product like the Stability Shaft might be better suited to already good-consistent putters of the ball seeking a fractional advantage... if there is one to be had. And in that case I say go for it.

Here's a $25 product that I think WILL improve your putting. It's been awhile but I use it off and on sometimes. It helps promote muscle /stroke memory I guess. It's called The Putting Connection and I'll bet some of you have one or something similar. 

Now that I've climbed down off my soapbox I want to make an admission. Some of you forum members that have been around for awhile might recall me posting and commenting on another product. The Shotmaker $99 shaft insert. The product itself looks like a graphite straw about 12"-13" long and very thin. Feather light. It's inserted-dropped down/inside the driver or FW shaft and locked into position. The Shotmaker promises tighter shot dispersion. Having used this product in both my driver and 4w for years I believe it works. It certainly makes your club feel better - more solid. The Shotmaker was also reviewed by MGS back in 2011 and if you believe MGS testing they too determined it works. Now, if you aren't a good driver of the ball this product isn't going to make you one. But, like the Stability Shaft if you're looking to possibly shave a fraction off your already good driving accuracy and tighten your dispersion a bit then the Shotmaker will do it. But these two products will only be noticable - work - help if you are already good at putting or driving. Neither will cure a poor stroke made by.... You!

IMG_20190330_101036242.jpg

IMG_20190330_102006814.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

44 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Again... IMO. It's you.

Nahhhhh .... it's the clubs!
😉

Kidding .. thanks for the reality check.

Oh, PS:
That ShotMaker looks interesting but their website doesn't seem to work too well - keep getting the same homepage no matter which other page I try to go to....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Alright, I got my first round under my belt since having the Stability shaft installed and while I had my worst putting day in awhile, I blame that more on not practicing this week. I played Ko'Olina today and they're a few weeks out from the Lotte Championship, so the course was in superb shape as usual. My initial thoughts on my current setup are positive, but the thing that stood out most to me was the difference in weight. I have the 350g Bat Attack putter head, and the P2 TOUR React is 67g. The Stability shaft is 125g so I"m guessing that's at least a 50g increase over the original KBS shaft. I like a heavier putter though so it won't take me too long to adjust to it. So to address the obvious, here we go. 

Looks: Obviously going to vary from player to player, but I love the way the shaft looks with the Bat Attack. What can I say, I'm a fan of the two tone look. The shaft graphics are subtle enough, and while you can tell it's not a standard putter shaft, it doesn't scream 'LOOK AT ME!!'

Feel: This was the most obvious difference. For lack of a better way to put it, my putter feels much more stable in my hands now (I swear that's not a dad joke ;)), and most definitely doesn't twist as much. 

Performance: Overall, I feel like having this combo will continue to work out for me, but it remains to be seeing if having the Stability shaft will improve my putting performance. I agree with @PlaidJacket 100% about something like this not being a fix for crappy mechanics, but if someone is inclined to try it I don't feel like it can hurt. Ultimately, it will take a number of rounds for me to see if it has actually helped so I'll toss up some numbers once I get more miles on this setup!

On 3/30/2019 at 11:33 AM, cksurfdude said:

That ShotMaker looks interesting but their website doesn't seem to work too well - keep getting the same homepage no matter which other page I try to go to....

Their website does seem to be messed up right now. I tried both the link I posted and in another browser tab. It was fine the other day when I made the post above. They'll probably fix it eventually I guess.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

6 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

Ultimately, it will take a number of rounds for me to see if it has actually helped so I'll toss up some numbers once I get more miles on this setup!

Yeah, that's really it - will your putting stats generally trend better from here; ie. will the shaft "stand the rest of time"? Thx for the updates!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I think further use of the putter will be more revealing.  Putting can vary day to day with any putter at any level.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few rounds under my belt with the setup now and had 29 putts yesterday, which is the best I've done so far since making the switch. Since I had the BGT shaft installed, the additional weight has been an adjustment, but I was rolling it pretty well yesterday and I feel much more comfortable with my souped up Bat Attack now. My practice schedule has been kind of jacked up with the wife back on the mainland working, but once she's back I'm going to carve out more practice time. What I do know for sure, is I absolutely love the feel of the putter and I'm happy with the upgrade. And like I said before, it's going to take a number of rounds before I have some good data to compare to my pre-upgrade numbers. But all in all I'm happy with it, so I suppose that's all that matters anyway!

I think a lot of people don't like to believe in putter tech because they feel like they have more control over the result. People will often blame themselves for their putting, but blame the driver when they hit it OB.

That was more than 2¢ worth of ideas and comments! Some good thoughts in there, thx.

It is a tough thing to evaluate.

But... Just musing "out loud"... Many players will buy a whole new putter if they've got the idea in their head it's going to help them make more putts.

So... What if instead of a whole putter you took a player who has a properly fit putter and swapped in this shaft - into the current head and set to match their fitting specs...?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

2 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I think a lot of people don't like to believe in putter tech because they feel like they have more control over the result. People will often blame themselves for their putting, but blame the driver when they hit it OB.

People do seem to have differing thoughts when it comes to putters.   We see get fit for every club in the bag except putter,  that is strictly based on looks, feel, and/or confidence ;  or the putting stroke is too small for technology to help; or    X professional doesn't use putter tech so it doesn't matter.    

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

People do seem to have differing thoughts when it comes to putters.   We see get fit for every club in the bag except putter,  that is strictly based on looks, feel, and/or confidence ;  or the putting stroke is too small for technology to help; or    X professional doesn't use putter tech so it doesn't matter.    

Which is crazy considering we all use our putters for about 1/3 of our shots. Getting fit can be a game changer and is also eye opening!

19 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

about 1/3 of our shots

Nah..... Only about 1/2 for me... 😄😆🤣😄😆🤣😄😆🤣😀

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, newballcoach said:

Ain't that the truth!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

X professional doesn't use putter tech so it doesn't matter.

Yeah that is so much it! "Oh well no pro is using __(whatever)_ so why should I??"

But not considering at all that the pro they're referencing has been sinking putts since he/she was 3 y.o. and could barely walk straight.... 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg