Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Stability putter shafts - hot or not?

cksurfdude

26 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah that is so much it! "Oh well no pro is using __(whatever)_ so why should I??"

But not considering at all that the pro they're referencing has been sinking putts since he/she was 3 y.o. and could barely walk straight.... 

A pro will practice with a putter until they are good with the putter.  That fact has no bearing on the fact that the putter that player is using may not be the best putter for their stroke.   Other pros will continue to change putters hoping to find a magic stick.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 4/19/2019 at 7:31 PM, cnosil said:

A pro will practice with a putter until they are good with the putter.  That fact has no bearing on the fact that the putter that player is using may not be the best putter for their stroke.   Other pros will continue to change putters hoping to find a magic stick.  

We may be saying similar things? ... eg. a pro is a pro _because_ they can sink putts with just about anything! I mean, you could put a 2x4 in almost any pro's hands and after a few minutes of getting the ranging for distance control they'll start dropping it in from all over.......

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

MGS article hit the blog this morning. Basically not a huge advantage to switching. Just like everything else you need to see if it will provide benefit for you.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

MGS article hit the blog this morning. Basically not a huge advantage to switching. Just like everything else you need to see if it will provide benefit for you.

Yeah, it was curious to me they chose not to put the LM on the 20 foot putts?

Any insight into that?

On the face of it, it just _seems_ to me that a longer putt - ie. with slightly more putter head speed and slightly more impact force - might expose larger differences, if indeed they do exist?

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Yeah, it was curious to me they chose not to put the LM on the 20 foot putts?
Any insight into that?
On the face of it, it just _seems_ to me that a longer putt - ie. with slightly more putter head speed and slightly more impact force - might expose larger differences, if indeed they do exist?

I didn’t decide the protocol, just went with what the told me to do. My guess is that at 20 you are avoiding 3 putt; at 10 you are still in trying to make.

I don’t personally buy the torque aspect especially when I read a comment asking how much your shaft twists when you grab the head and grip and twist. The twisting you can exert manually is far more than a toe impact and I don’t think I get any twist in the shaft.

I saw that this morning and read with particular interest since I am testing a Stroke Lab putter. Like @cksurfdude, I would think if the shaft were to provide a benefit, it would be more obvious on longer putts.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 6 months later...

Here is one mans feedback on the BGT stability putter shaft.

1. It is expensive, but when compared to an aftermarket driver shaft it’s well priced.
  2. I would not look at adding this till you have been fitted for a putter head that fits your stoke.
  3. If you have been fitted for your head it’s worth it to buy it and get fitted by BGT. For $350 they spend 2+ hours with you before and after the shaft on the quintec ball roll system (Trackman for putting) and I was shocked at the results and instant improvement in my putting.
  4. The stability shaft combined with my evnroll ER 1.2 has virtually eliminated 3 putts from my rounds and have taken me to a single digit handicapper.
  5. people spend hundreds maybe thousands on drivers and irons so $350 for an incredible fitting and something that will provide an instant improvement to me is a no brainer.

take it for what you will and while getting closer off the tee for better approach shots is very important the quickest way to lower scores is taking less putts per round.

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

18 hours ago, Brandon M said:

take it for what you will and while getting closer off the tee for better approach shots is very important the quickest way to lower scores is taking less putts per round.

The quickest way to take less putts per round is to hit is to hit approaches closer and to hit greens.  Unless you are a really bad putter (can't lag to inside a 3 foot circle and miss 3 footers or 3 putt a lot) you can't significantly lower your score with putting.   

Fill in some of the details for us on your fitting.  During the fitting did you  compare head with stability shaft to same head without?   how did you get fit for the putter head?   Most everything I have read is that the stabilty shaft is geared to help with heavier weight heads;  what is your headweight?   How did the results on quintic change from before to after?

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

The quickest way to take less putts per round is to hit is to hit approaches closer and to hit greens.  Unless you are a really bad putter (can't lag to inside a 3 foot circle and miss 3 footers or 3 putt a lot) you can't significantly lower your score with putting.   

Fill in some of the details for us on your fitting.  During the fitting did you  compare head with stability shaft to same head without?   how did you get fit for the putter head?   Most everything I have read is that the stabilty shaft is geared to help with heavier weight heads;  what is your headweight?   How did the results on quintic change from before to after?

Agree with cnosil that a few more specifics on the before vs after of a putter / putter shaft fitting would be very helpful. 

Taking "the other side", though, about how to improve your score -- if, yes: Big *IF* - looking at putting in isolation, if one could significantly .. over time .. reduce their incidence of 3-putts then shouldn't that have a positive impact on their scores?

Yes, certainly - better approaches can lead to less 3 putts, but then ... having a better number of better approach shots is reliant on hitting (more often) from the fairway ... which in turn is reliant on better tee shots, ie. more accurate .. and also hopefully longer at the same time.

So by that extended logic better putting is a consequence of better tee shots (but then whom amongst us doesn't want THAT?!?!). 

Again - looking at putting in isolation - IF the stability shaft helps a particular player (maybe not all players) putt more confidently and more accurately then that could be a positive for their scores.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 4 months later...

Have been thinking about installing the BTG Stability shaft in my Odyssey O works Black Versa 7.  Not sure if the newer tour version will fit since the putter I have has a double bend shaft in it.

Edited by Hoyoymac

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Have been thinking about installing the BTG Stability shaft in my Odyssey O works Black Versa 7.  Not sure if the newer tour version will fit since the putter I have has a double bend shaft in it.

It will fit. Essentially they cut the double bend and insert it into the end of the stability shaft.

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

It will fit. Essentially they cut the double bend and insert it into the end of the stability shaft.

Can you put one in your ER2.2 and let me know how you like it/get along with it? Thanks!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1 minute ago, yungkory said:

Can you put one in your ER2.2 and let me know how you like it/get along with it? Thanks!

You going to fund the purchase 🙂  I've compared the original stability to stock in a Bettinardi putter and probably wouldn't install in my own putter.  

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

You going to fund the purchase 🙂  I've compared the original stability to stock in a Bettinardi putter and probably wouldn't install in my own putter.  

I was hoping it might be in the back of your mind and that I could just nudge you over the edge without opening my wallet, haha!

12 hours ago, yungkory said:

I was hoping it might be in the back of your mind and that I could just nudge you over the edge without opening my wallet, haha!

I have toyed with the idea and it has been in the back of my mind,  but the likelyhood of my actually purchasing is pretty much zero unless the price gets under $100. 

Thanks.  Just ordered the Stability tour shaft.  Will install it myself.  By the way,  they are running a 25% off special right now.  Use coupon code: BETTER when checking out. Saw it on their Facebook page.

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I have gamed the stability shaft since pretty much the day it got announced. Not sure if it is placebo or not,  but I went from putting like garbage to being average

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

They are currently on sale for 25% off

Edit: I'm such a newb, two posts above with the same comment.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

If there was every a time to get one, now would be it.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the Stability Tour shaft on my Odyssey O-works Black Versa 7 tonight.  Put on a new Super Stroke Traxion Tour 3.0 grip as well.  Man does it look awesome.  Checked the swingweight on the putter before making any changes and was surprised to discover it was at E -8.  After putting on the new grip I put in a 75 gram Counter Core weight and that brought the swing weight down to D-9.  Eager to try it out tomorrow.

My golfing buddies have been telling me that I’m crazy to make any changes to my putter because I’ve been putting very well lately.  That is just more motivation for me to put the time in to dial everything in and practice so that I can get even better.

Once I’ve got some experience with the new shaft I will post a follow up.

Practiced a little with the putter before my round today.  They top dressed the greens at my course yesterday with sand and then rolled them.  They were a bit inconsistent.  Had three birdies and one 3 putt bogey plus a couple of nice par saves with the putter today.

Several observations: The stiffness of the shaft is very apparent.  Feels very stable and no wobble.  The swingweight change due to the 75 gram Counter Core weight is also apparent.  The head feels lighter and you can feel the weight in your hands more.  I found my putter stroke was more consistent with less jerkiness at the start of the swing.  On the few long putts, those over 20 feet, the results were by and large better than usual even with the inconsistent green speeds.

I did miss a few putts too.  You still have to read the putt and get the speed right. It’s too early to say how much the changes have helped, but I would say for sure it didn’t hurt my putting.

My buddies were really “raining on my parade” before the round.  They got quieter after I took their money on the side bets and birdie pool.  

5 hours ago, UCFGolfer23 said:

Has anyone been fit with them directly? They offer putter fittings & adjustments with Quintic & include a Stability shaft as part of the price. Would be curious to hear anyones experience with them.

Txg says that you do not have to be fit for the stability shaft,  it is more about if you like the feel.   That is different than being fit for the putter.  It was quickly brought up in the last txg live

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

1 hour ago, Hotdocta said:

Txg says that you do not have to be fit for the stability shaft,  it is more about if you like the feel.   That is different than being fit for the putter.  It was quickly brought up in the last txg live

Should have clarified, the fitting is with Breakthrough Golf in Texas who created the stability shaft. Would be interested to hear anyone's experience  with them.

Should have clarified, the fitting is with Breakthrough Golf in Texas who created the stability shaft. Would be interested to hear anyone's experience  with them.
@Brandon M posted in his WITB that he was fitted at BGT. Post over there or IM him to post his experience here

I have a BTG technologies stability shaft. I’ve had it for a couple months now and I can definitely see a difference in my distance control. I’ve always struggled really bad with lag putting, but as of late, it’s gotten a lot better. Plus they look awesome!!!!
C3E3435A-31F0-4B6B-B3DE-EED28F2DDAC1.thumb.jpeg.3849849f0f1af5fc3ee492b77f4bd0d1.jpeg

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

Here’s what my new Stability Tour putter shaft looks like fitted to my Odyssey O-works 7 black.

9BBD1153-E286-459E-9C22-6183DFBF4787.jpeg

F029AD2F-01E1-446C-9A66-EECDC5DFB96C.jpeg

004C34CB-BAC5-446B-98FC-FD10AECF9263.jpeg

0E684E6B-393C-49BF-82F1-F8227F0EA351.jpeg

11 hours ago, MALyons31 said:

I have a BTG technologies stability shaft. I’ve had it for a couple months now and I can definitely see a difference in my distance control. I’ve always struggled really bad with lag putting, but as of late, it’s gotten a lot better. Plus they look awesome!!!!
C3E3435A-31F0-4B6B-B3DE-EED28F2DDAC1.thumb.jpeg.3849849f0f1af5fc3ee492b77f4bd0d1.jpeg

Ouuuu someone who went from the KBS shaft to BGT!

Has the feel changed at all for you?

Hot or not? All I can say is I walked out of the house yesterday without my putter (yeah, go ahead and razz me, I deserve it). One my playing partners had a Stroke Labs Seven in the back of his car, let me use it on the back 9.

I was impressed. I missed three 3-4 footers, two for birdies , but also drained several 6-8ft par putts. Felt great, the look sitting by the ball gave confidence.

Guess what I’m shopping for today?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

33 minutes ago, toehold57 said:

Hot or not? All I can say is I walked out of the house yesterday without my putter emoji849.png (yeah, go ahead and razz me, I deserve it). One my playing partners had a Stroke Labs Seven in the back of his car, let me use it on the back 9.

I was impressed. I missed three 3-4 footers, two for birdies emoji22.png, but also drained several 6-8ft par putts. Felt great, the look sitting by the ball gave confidence.

Guess what I’m shopping for today?

Just so you are aware,  the stroke lab shaft and the stability shaft are two different things.