Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
cksurfdude

Stability putter shafts - hot or not?

Hoping to be part of the official MGS testing of this shaft.  I keep picking up these putters and trying them when I am at headquarters and I have to say the more I try the stability shaft the more I like it.  It is really hard to describe the feeling or how the shaft impacts your stroke, but it does seem to provide some benefit. 

• Like 1

Hoping to be part of the official MGS testing of this shaft.  I keep picking up these putters and trying them when I am at headquarters and I have to say the more I try the stability shaft the more I like it.  It is really hard to describe the feeling or how the shaft impacts your stroke, but it does seem to provide some benefit. 
I wonder if if the benefits/performance of it is more apparent depending on the head weight of the putter
  • Like 1

Just now, jlukes said:
5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I wonder if if the benefits/performance of it is more apparent depending on the head weight of the putter

One of the things talked about in the description is that it was designed because of the heavier putter head weights.   I think the other aspect that should be considered is the players tempo.  I would think that with a slower tempo there wouldn't be as much benefit.   

• Like 1

I played with a guy yesterday that had a Stability Shaft in his SC putter head. (I think a Concept X) This same guy I've played with a few times over the past year. I can't recall or say whether he's a good putter or not. But he is a decent player generally. However, yesterday his putting sucked and I'm sure he'd admit the same. Do I accuse the putter/shaft combo or the player for his poor performance? I'd say the player. IMO it doesn't matter how much tech or fitting, etc is involved. If you can't square up the face of any club your results will be poor. I will also say there is probably something to the Stability Shaft. Barney Adams didn't dream this up as a con. Hardly. But it's not something I believe will noticeably benefit that many golfers. Putting is a strange animal and a very distinct part of the game. Apart from all other aspects of the game - driving, ironing, chipping, etc - putting is an enigma. For instance, how many very good players (0-5 hcp) have you known/played with who are really sharp/solid tee to green but once on the putting surface they struggle day after day year after year?  Or...how many weekend 6-pack players have you played with; always carding high scores but somehow putt good once they find the green? I've played with plenty of both. Putting is strange... you either have it mentally and or mechnicanically or you don't IMO. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I played with a guy yesterday that had a Stability Shaft in his SC putter head. (I think a Concept X) This same guy I've played with a few times over the past year. I can't recall or say whether he's a good putter or not. But he is a decent player generally. However, yesterday his putting sucked and I'm sure he'd admit the same. Do I accuse the putter/shaft combo or the player for his poor performance? I'd say the player. IMO it doesn't matter how much tech or fitting, etc is involved. If you can't square up the face of any club your results will be poor. I will also say there is probably something to the Stability Shaft. Barney Adams didn't dream this up as a con. Hardly. But it's not something I believe will noticeably benefit that many golfers. 

Putting is a strange animal and a very distinct part of the game.

Apart from all other aspects of the game - driving, ironing, chipping, etc - putting is an enigma. For instance, how many very good players (0-5 hcp) have you known/played with who are really sharp/solid tee to green but once on the putting surface they struggle day after day year after year?  Or...how many weekend 6-pack players have you played with; always carding high scores but somehow putt good once they find the green? I've played with plenty of both. Putting is strange... you either have it mentally and or mechnicanically or you don't IMO. 

Oh yeah, it is ... "the game within the game" some old guy once said 😉

Good comments, though - it will be interesting to see if this will garner any traction with the "weekend" crowd?

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh yeah, it is ... "the game within the game" some old guy once said 😉

Good comments, though - it will be interesting to see if this will garner any traction with the "weekend" crowd?

I doubt it. I think this is a equipment junkie thing. I just don't see your weekend joe buying a $200 shaft for his putter. He'd buy a new putter over a new shaft. Heck, weekend golfers mostly have stock regular shafts in their drivers, which they care about a lot more than putters. To them, Distance is king!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I doubt it. I think this is a equipment junkie thing. I just don't see your weekend joe buying a $200 shaft for his putter. He'd buy a new putter over a new shaft. Heck, weekend golfers mostly have stock regular shafts in their drivers, which they care about a lot more than putters. To them, Distance is king!

Yeah, that's definitely going to be a big part of it. 

Even though - as we know - you only hit your driver a max of 14 times per round .. vs 36+ times for your putter .. yet many players very eagerly pony up $500+ for a new driver every year.....................................

• Like 1

Going back and forth on this.  I'm an average putter and recently had a Club Champion fitting including getting on the SAM lab.  It was determined that my putting stroke was actually fairly good.  On the course, my main issue tends to be a misread or speed.  Most of the time, I'm getting the ball on my line that I've chosen.  

I've read some replies that this can help some with distance control, but what I find happens is that I will just lose my feel for distance after about 7-8 holes and then my confidence sort of goes with it. 

I've read some others are putting stiff iron shafts to help with stability.  Can anyone comment or even compare?  That would be a much cheaper way to go.

Going back and forth on this.  I'm an average putter and recently had a Club Champion fitting including getting on the SAM lab.  It was determined that my putting stroke was actually fairly good.  On the course, my main issue tends to be a misread or speed.  Most of the time, I'm getting the ball on my line that I've chosen.  
I've read some replies that this can help some with distance control, but what I find happens is that I will just lose my feel for distance after about 7-8 holes and then my confidence sort of goes with it. 
I've read some others are putting stiff iron shafts to help with stability.  Can anyone comment or even compare?  That would be a much cheaper way to go.

What do you mean you lose your feel for distance? What is your current approach to distance control and how off do you get? The shaft wouldn’t fix being off by feet, the theory would be that the face angle is more consistent so you are making better contact.

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you mean you lose your feel for distance? What is your current approach to distance control and how off do you get? The shaft wouldn’t fix being off by feet, the theory would be that the face angle is more consistent so you are making better contact.

Hard to explain it - i'll practice all sorts of drills for distance control and feel that I have them down pat, then out on the course I'll just lose it.  

I agree that contact and face angle do help and I had some adjustments done to my putter at club champion that I believe will help get the ball rolling more quickly.  Just psych myself out I guess.

If you haven't noticed the price is already starting to come down.  Several sources selling for $177.  Not that big a prices reduction, but maybe be an indicator of how well initial sales are going.

8 hours ago, juspoole said:

I really don't think this is what your looking for. I think you just need to keep in mind that, everyone goes through hot and cold spells with putting. If this is the route you decide to go, I'd go with a graphite hybrid shaft before an iron shaft though. 

Just wait until you get a chance to roll the Odyssey Stroke Lab shafted putters.

The Atlanta S is so badass. I have never, ever, had the speed control like I have with this putter.

I just don’t see a lot of promise in this, and believe me I hope I’m wrong like plenty of times before. I can miss as many putts with a hickory shafted putter as I do steel shafted one and it’s entirely the Indian over the arrow but maybe I’m that fella this new tech works for... when the price falls a tad...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1