Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Stability putter shafts - hot or not?

cksurfdude

Two weeks in on the stability shaft. Spend evenings working on start line by rolling the ball between gates and down a yardstick. Can I say the shaft has helped me putt better? The quick simple answer is no.

The reason I say no:
I bought the putter with a stability shaft I have no baseline for how I putted without the shaft.

Comparing to the feel to other putters, there doesn’t seem to be a changed in feel, but I don’t have the same grips, putter style, or head weight.

I don’t seem to have “more” success rolling the ball down the ruler or through gates.

The one area that may be an improvement, but I need to do more detailed evaluation, is distance control. Can’t really do this at home and need to get to a course to do more drills. The area I need the most help would be 25 feet and out since I don’t have a good feel for those distances.

I love the Odyssey Ten S so it will be staying in the bag. The stability shaft is a nice add-on but not sure I would pay the full cost for the shaft. While the price I paid is more than used Ten S putters are selling for it was significantly less than buying the putter and shaft.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Two weeks in on the stability shaft. Spend evenings working on start line by rolling the ball between gates and down a yardstick. Can I say the shaft has helped me putt better? The quick simple answer is no.

The reason I say no:
I bought the putter with a stability shaft I have no baseline for how I putted without the shaft.

Comparing to the feel to other putters, there doesn’t seem to be a changed in feel, but I don’t have the same grips, putter style, or head weight.

I don’t seem to have “more” success rolling the ball down the ruler or through gates.

The one area that may be an improvement, but I need to do more detailed evaluation, is distance control. Can’t really do this at home and need to get to a course to do more drills. The area I need the most help would be 25 feet and out since I don’t have a good feel for those distances.

I love the Odyssey Ten S so it will be staying in the bag. The stability shaft is a nice add-on but not sure I would pay the full cost for the shaft. While the price I paid is more than used Ten S putters are selling for it was significantly less than buying the putter and shaft.

Thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

The reason I say no:

Great update, interested to see how the distance control tests go.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Had my lowest putts total in a round at 27 on Saturday in my way to my personal best score of +3 75. A chip in birdie definitely helped keep the putt total low, but I also had 7 1-putts which was likely another PB but I don't have that tracked anymore since switching apps from the grint to golfshot. 

Made multiple putts from 15+ feet which never happens. Hopefully it wasn't a one-time thing and I can channel this round in future rounds. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

Have gotten a few more rounds in with the stability shaft and some comparison practice against some of my other putters.

Feel: This is obviously very subjective. I don’t feel much when it comes to weighting. What I look for is different feels across the face to know impact location. With my ten s I don’t get a lot of feedback from offcenter hits. Haven’t been able to compare against another ten s to see if the feedback is different. My Bobby Grace and evnroll seem to provide better feedback when I intentionally misshit. Nothing exceptionally positive or negative about the feel. Having compared identical putters except shaft (one with and one without a stability) the feel is different but can’t say one feels better than the other.

Startline: this is the area I work on most since it is the easiest to do indoors. I setup gates and roll balls down a ruler. I do well controlling face angle. No real improvement or loss when rolling through 1* and .5* error gates.

Distance control: distance control might be a touch better from longer distances. When comparing odyssey and evnroll. The Odysssey is 5gr lighter than the Evnroll so it provides the best comparison. I use my hands to move the grip end of the putter and I don’t try to move the head. Subtle difference, but from what I have learned heavy heads suit players that move and want to feel the putter head. Lower SW putters benefit players that feel the swing more in their hands. I thing my Bobby grace 350gr head allows me to control. distance a touch better.

Overall I think players that want the 360+ gram head may see some improvement in their putting stroke. For the sub 350 crowd not sure it is really necessary.

Overall nice shaft that may help a bit with consistency, but won’t dramatically improve your putting. IMO, The benefit comes from helping compensate for the heavy head. Personally, I wouldn’t buy this shaft to replace a shaft in a putter.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Overall I think players that want the 360+ gram head may see some improvement in their putting stroke. For the sub 350 crowd not sure it is really necessary.

Great info .. thx!

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Personally, I wouldn’t buy this shaft to replace a shaft in a putter.

But.. if you were to buy a heavy-head putter, you'd consider one that had this shaft in it?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Great info .. thx!

But.. if you were to buy a heavy-head putter, you'd consider one that had this shaft in it?

Probably not.   I prefer the sub 350 variety and for me I don't think the possible performance increase is worth the price. 

On 5/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, PMookie said:

I never did a fitting for the Stability shaft, but it just seems to me that one can’t truly see if the SHAFT is making the difference if all else isn’t equal.

I know what you mean.  I have a used Scotty Pro Platinum that was just bought on a whim and luckily enough the toe hang and putter was a pretty good fit for me sans a few loft/lie adjustments made.  I putted another similar style with Stability shaft at Club Champion and can tell you my stroke just felt more solid.  I was more confident that I could start my ball online much easier and I had to "try" to make a bad stroke.  I've yet to pull the trigger because I still think it's an awful lot to spend on a putter shaft, but I could tell some difference in feel and confidence in the short time.

Also, I'm considering something with a little more alignment help so on the fence about spending money for current putter.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

On 5/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, PMookie said:

I don’t know, I never did a fitting for the Stability shaft, but it just seems to me that one can’t truly see if the SHAFT is making the difference if all else isn’t equal.

This is exactly the point I made in the Stroke Lab test last year - we were trying to evaluate if the shaft was legit, but it was not a clean experiment since, in my case, I was comparing to a completely different putter. The only commonality was the grip (SuperStroke Slim 3.0).

In a perfect world, Odyssey would have sent us two putters - Stroke Lab and traditional shaft.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Reviewing my Arccos caddie dashboard this morning.  20 rounds captured in the six weeks since I’ve installed the Stability shaft into my Odyssey O-Works Black #7 putter.  My Putting Handicap has improved by 1.6 strokes.  My Arccos Handicap and my GHIN index are also now the lowest of the year. All other stats remained pretty much the same, except for Driver Stats which got a little worse. The putter has been bailing me out.

I’m convinced that the Stability shaft has contributed to my improved performance.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I am trying to decide which of my numerous putters that I want to try the Stability shaft with. To date I am using an Odyssey TT #10 with its stock version of shaft (I have only upgrade the grip/weight).

Several years ago I started taking SAM putt lab fittings with different putters (I.E. mallets and blades). Hands down one of the best investments I made was that type fitting as it showed me the angle/path of face through impact with my putting. That data directed me to improving my stroke arc / putting motion.

I have worked heavily with one of those putting stick / stroke boards and the old standard 3 ft ruler (bad strike and ball falls of side of ruler before rolling out). I am convinced the heavy weight under grip/mallet putter combo and this practice is what has contributed to my success not so much the shaft but I could be wrong....  

My putting stroke with traditional, lighter blades was more of a strong arc. With a heavier mallet (I like weight under grip vs heavy putter head weight) my stroke is much more compact and square to square like with more consistency regarding 10, 20 footers. 5 ft and in I am equal blade vs mallet. 

I am curious as to whether the Stability shaft could improve my blade / strong arc putting path angles. Now I just have to decide which of my blade putters to test with.