cksurfdude

Stability putter shafts - hot or not?

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

Taking my ER5B on the course today for the first time. i'll be posting my thoughts on the stability shaft as I get more rounds with it. Maybe do an unofficial review or something? I have a decent amount of stats saved up in Arccos to compare the data to. I was a big fan of the Odyssey stroke lab shaft, but the inserts in those putters are hot trash. The only insert I've ever really had success with is the Spider X, but even then.. I prefer a milled face.

Interested to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 5/26/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Nippon Zelos 7 Hybrid S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

31 putts today. Greens still aren't completely filled in, but much improved over two weeks ago. I average 33 putts and my goal is 30 or below so I'll take it. I just don't hit the ball close enough on average, and I'm admittedly not a great putter.

One 3-jack from like 45+ feet, just didn't hit it hard enough and it bounced a couple times, so it further accentuated me hitting it like a wuss.

Made a couple really long putts and scared the hole on a few others on my way to my third sub-80 round ever, so that felt good. The course we played at has shallow cups and one of my putts legit fell in and bounced out because only half of the ball goes below the lip. I am like 95% sure that would've stayed in a normal cup, but it is what it is, just happy to be giving the ball a chance to fall more often.

The feel is hard to describe. Can't tell you if I notice that it's more rigid or resists twisting, but I can tell you that there's a difference in feel for me over the KBS shaft that comes stock in the Spider X. More to come on Sunday!

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Y’all have me thinking about one factor that could result in better putting and NOT be the shaft: the putter actually fitting.
If one just buys putters off-the-rack, continually, the chance of getting one that really fits is minimal. Changing a shaft, or buying a new non-fitted putter with a different shaft and face, MAY help, but is it all just anecdotal since no fitting was made at the start, then having just the difference of the shaft itself?
Length, lie, grip size and weight, single bend, double bend, face insert vs none, milled face vs smooth face, etc, etc, etc.
I don’t know, I never did a fitting for the Stability shaft, but it just seems to me that one can’t truly see if the SHAFT is making the difference if all else isn’t equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Y’all have me thinking about one factor that could result in better putting and NOT be the shaft: the putter actually fitting.
If one just buys putters off-the-rack, continually, the chance of getting one that really fits is minimal. Changing a shaft, or buying a new non-fitted putter with a different shaft and face, MAY help, but is it all just anecdotal since no fitting was made at the start, then having just the difference of the shaft itself?
Length, lie, grip size and weight, single bend, double bend, face insert vs none, milled face vs smooth face, etc, etc, etc.
I don’t know, I never did a fitting for the Stability shaft, but it just seems to me that one can’t truly see if the SHAFT is making the difference if all else isn’t equal.

I've never been fit (hoping to change that in October but covid is trying to f*** that up) but I've tinkered based on my miss pattern over the years. I know that I putt better at 33" than longer, and probably could go shorter, but I didn't want to cut this shaft below a semi-common playing length just in case I have to toss it on the B/S/T forum. So in lieu of getting fit, I'm packing the old flat stick with as much tech as possible! 😂

• Like 2

I have been playing the Stability shaft since they came out and it has proved to be more consistent than others in the past. For me, it tracks the line chosen more accurately with better results. As with any club, if you don't trust it to do what you want then it probably won't work in that moment. This shaft has made a "believer" out of me.. My playing partners saw the improvement and switched their shafts as well. Now I am losing a bit of $$$. I should have told them that I had taken more lessons instead of just changing the shaft.. Looking forward to getting out to drop more putts soon.

• Like 2

Didn’t think I would actually purchase one, but I found what I considered to be a good deal on an Odyssey Ten S that included a Stability Tour shaft.
I’ve experimented with stability vs steel with same head and while I noticed some difference I can say I putted any better. Won’t be able to confirm whether performance is influenced by the head or shaft, but looking forward to doing more hands on evaluation.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Got my Odyssey #7 collection together and have started the head to head comparisons.  The three putters are the Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with the Stability Tour shaft and 75 gram counter core weight in the Superstroke Traction Tour midslim 3.0 grip.  The Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas with Strokelab shaft.  The final putter is the Odyssey Metal-X Milled #7 with the standard steel shaft.  All are the double bend shaft face balanced versions.

I will check the swing weights on all three next week. Shaft lengths all the same at 35.

Will probably have to change the pistol grips out on two of the putters.

The  head sizes are noticeably different .

3754E3BD-670C-4259-A554-9BB0F2ADE464.jpeg

EE027CB6-09E9-4916-8E9B-4F161EF94424.jpeg

91F43706-A3F0-4ED4-AA94-A27DE49BAE32.jpeg

B2A50929-2BC7-46A9-8421-2D4F49C4D74A.jpeg

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 5-48

Vokey SM7 54 & 60 10S

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Didn’t think I would actually purchase one, but I found what I considered to be a good deal on an Odyssey Ten S that included a Stability Tour shaft.
I’ve experimented with stability vs steel with same head and while I noticed some difference I can say I putted any better. Won’t be able to confirm whether performance is influenced by the head or shaft, but looking forward to doing more hands on evaluation.

Put it in the 2.2!!!!

Put it in the 2.2!!!!

If I don’t like the odyssey, that might be where it goes.
  • Love 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Putter arrived a couple of hours ago and since I am working from home I quickly opened the package and rolled some putts on the carpet. I like the looks and feel of the putter, just not sure about the shaft. I guess seeing nothing really noticeable about the shaft isn’t a bad thing. Definitely going to need to get it out on the course to see if the shaft has any magical properties.

• Like 5

Two weeks in on the stability shaft. Spend evenings working on start line by rolling the ball between gates and down a yardstick. Can I say the shaft has helped me putt better? The quick simple answer is no.

The reason I say no:
I bought the putter with a stability shaft I have no baseline for how I putted without the shaft.

Comparing to the feel to other putters, there doesn’t seem to be a changed in feel, but I don’t have the same grips, putter style, or head weight.

I don’t seem to have “more” success rolling the ball down the ruler or through gates.

The one area that may be an improvement, but I need to do more detailed evaluation, is distance control. Can’t really do this at home and need to get to a course to do more drills. The area I need the most help would be 25 feet and out since I don’t have a good feel for those distances.

I love the Odyssey Ten S so it will be staying in the bag. The stability shaft is a nice add-on but not sure I would pay the full cost for the shaft. While the price I paid is more than used Ten S putters are selling for it was significantly less than buying the putter and shaft.

• Like 3

Two weeks in on the stability shaft. Spend evenings working on start line by rolling the ball between gates and down a yardstick. Can I say the shaft has helped me putt better? The quick simple answer is no.

The reason I say no:
I bought the putter with a stability shaft I have no baseline for how I putted without the shaft.

Comparing to the feel to other putters, there doesn’t seem to be a changed in feel, but I don’t have the same grips, putter style, or head weight.

I don’t seem to have “more” success rolling the ball down the ruler or through gates.

The one area that may be an improvement, but I need to do more detailed evaluation, is distance control. Can’t really do this at home and need to get to a course to do more drills. The area I need the most help would be 25 feet and out since I don’t have a good feel for those distances.

I love the Odyssey Ten S so it will be staying in the bag. The stability shaft is a nice add-on but not sure I would pay the full cost for the shaft. While the price I paid is more than used Ten S putters are selling for it was significantly less than buying the putter and shaft.

Thanks for the update!

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

The reason I say no:

Great update, interested to see how the distance control tests go.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 5/26/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Nippon Zelos 7 Hybrid S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Had my lowest putts total in a round at 27 on Saturday in my way to my personal best score of +3 75. A chip in birdie definitely helped keep the putt total low, but I also had 7 1-putts which was likely another PB but I don't have that tracked anymore since switching apps from the grint to golfshot. 

Made multiple putts from 15+ feet which never happens. Hopefully it wasn't a one-time thing and I can channel this round in future rounds. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Have gotten a few more rounds in with the stability shaft and some comparison practice against some of my other putters.

Feel: This is obviously very subjective. I don’t feel much when it comes to weighting. What I look for is different feels across the face to know impact location. With my ten s I don’t get a lot of feedback from offcenter hits. Haven’t been able to compare against another ten s to see if the feedback is different. My Bobby Grace and evnroll seem to provide better feedback when I intentionally misshit. Nothing exceptionally positive or negative about the feel. Having compared identical putters except shaft (one with and one without a stability) the feel is different but can’t say one feels better than the other.

Startline: this is the area I work on most since it is the easiest to do indoors. I setup gates and roll balls down a ruler. I do well controlling face angle. No real improvement or loss when rolling through 1* and .5* error gates.

Distance control: distance control might be a touch better from longer distances. When comparing odyssey and evnroll. The Odysssey is 5gr lighter than the Evnroll so it provides the best comparison. I use my hands to move the grip end of the putter and I don’t try to move the head. Subtle difference, but from what I have learned heavy heads suit players that move and want to feel the putter head. Lower SW putters benefit players that feel the swing more in their hands. I thing my Bobby grace 350gr head allows me to control. distance a touch better.

Overall I think players that want the 360+ gram head may see some improvement in their putting stroke. For the sub 350 crowd not sure it is really necessary.

Overall nice shaft that may help a bit with consistency, but won’t dramatically improve your putting. IMO, The benefit comes from helping compensate for the heavy head. Personally, I wouldn’t buy this shaft to replace a shaft in a putter.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Overall I think players that want the 360+ gram head may see some improvement in their putting stroke. For the sub 350 crowd not sure it is really necessary.

Great info .. thx!

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Personally, I wouldn’t buy this shaft to replace a shaft in a putter.

But.. if you were to buy a heavy-head putter, you'd consider one that had this shaft in it?

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)

Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

...all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Great info .. thx!

But.. if you were to buy a heavy-head putter, you'd consider one that had this shaft in it?

Probably not.   I prefer the sub 350 variety and for me I don't think the possible performance increase is worth the price. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, PMookie said:

I never did a fitting for the Stability shaft, but it just seems to me that one can’t truly see if the SHAFT is making the difference if all else isn’t equal.

I know what you mean.  I have a used Scotty Pro Platinum that was just bought on a whim and luckily enough the toe hang and putter was a pretty good fit for me sans a few loft/lie adjustments made.  I putted another similar style with Stability shaft at Club Champion and can tell you my stroke just felt more solid.  I was more confident that I could start my ball online much easier and I had to "try" to make a bad stroke.  I've yet to pull the trigger because I still think it's an awful lot to spend on a putter shaft, but I could tell some difference in feel and confidence in the short time.

Also, I'm considering something with a little more alignment help so on the fence about spending money for current putter.

• Like 3

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

On 5/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, PMookie said:

This is exactly the point I made in the Stroke Lab test last year - we were trying to evaluate if the shaft was legit, but it was not a clean experiment since, in my case, I was comparing to a completely different putter. The only commonality was the grip (SuperStroke Slim 3.0).

In a perfect world, Odyssey would have sent us two putters - Stroke Lab and traditional shaft.

• Like 3

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Reviewing my Arccos caddie dashboard this morning.  20 rounds captured in the six weeks since I’ve installed the Stability shaft into my Odyssey O-Works Black #7 putter.  My Putting Handicap has improved by 1.6 strokes.  My Arccos Handicap and my GHIN index are also now the lowest of the year. All other stats remained pretty much the same, except for Driver Stats which got a little worse. The putter has been bailing me out.

I’m convinced that the Stability shaft has contributed to my improved performance.

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 5-48

Vokey SM7 54 & 60 10S

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX