TESTERS WANTED! ×

(POLL) - Odds Scotty Goes To Nike?

GolfSpy_X

(POLL) - Odds Scotty Goes To Nike?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. (POLL) - Odds Scotty Goes To Nike?

• 10%
    • 25%
    • 50%
    • 100%
    • NO WAY IN HELL!

• SPY VIP

Moe do you think that he could make more money as an independent?

Seems like operations costs, advertising, and such would really be costly if he went it alone.

Marketing alone would definitely favor going with the OEM like Nike. Nike would be happy to dump tons of money into ads saying that Scotty was now making their putters. If Scotty wants to keep his market share constant or expand it, it seems to me that a big player associate is required.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Scotty's greatest market share is on tour, not retail. Odyssey is king there.

If Scotty wants a greater retail presence, then of course he'll need Nike. But if he wants to keep his Rolex/Rolls Royce "upper crust" image, he may be better off targeting a few key alliances instead.

Scotty's greatest market share is on tour, not retail. Odyssey is king there.

If Scotty wants a greater retail presence, then of course he'll need Nike. But if he wants to keep his Rolex/Rolls Royce "upper crust" image, he may be better off targeting a few key alliances instead.

What would be more profitable for Scotty, selling 5000 putters a year mainly through a website, or having a supply chain already in place with accounts opened throughout the world that would help him sell 50,000 putters?

Not only that, but how would he be able to afford to pay players tee up money to use his putters if he were independent? Doesn't it seem as though Nike is more suited to pick up that tab from a marketing budget standpoint?

And the whole debate as to whether or not Scotty would be better off being an independent is predicated on the fact he has a choice in the matter, but if the Scotty Cameron trademarks and patents get sold and he has a non-compete clause in his current agreement with Titleist then the whole discussion is irrelevant.

An interesting point I've read elsewhere: The name "Scotty Cameron" is trademarked by Achushnet and will likely be included in the sale of the Titleist brand. It is conceivable that a company could end up with the rights to use the name "Scotty Cameron" on a putter, but not have the man himself employed. That would be a very interesting scenario, IMO.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Rumor also has it that Titleist has had concern for how much time/money Cameron spends on his non retail ventures. He wanted a wine label and Titleist said no, knock it off. For the amount of money Titleist has spent marketing and pay for play they want retail sales - not $18,000 damascus heads that don't sell on ebay.

I spy with my little eye something...

Archived