TESTERS WANTED! ×

Play from any tee you want

perseveringgolfer

Why cant clubs and courses have tees of varying lengths that anyone can choose what tee they play from?

To be clear I don't mean for comps or medals but in social games why does a lady HAVE to play from ladies tees, gents from gents etc?

I've played with lady members who are far superior players to a lot of the guys I play with so maybe that lady wants to play the hole at it's full length then the closer tee on a par5 or whatever, guys can also do this.

So all courses already have different tee lengths so it's an easy change and might make games more enjoyable for most overall.

Just a thought. Can't see an issue with it apart from the rare occasion a newby or struggling player wants to play of the championship tees and holds everyone up.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I’ve played a few courses that allow youths and beginners tee off at the 200 yard makers or 150 markers.We even had a local rule that anyone over 80 could tee off from the beginning of the fairways.The secret is enjoying the game how you want it.Tee off from where it is playable 

Courses only care about you paying greens fees’good pace of play’and not damaging the faciltiy.A happy golfer will return and pass on a good review of the course with others 

Next year I’ll be playing from the right length tees recommended for hickory.

Anywhere between 5,000 - 6,500.

IDGAF what anyone says or thinks about me. I am not going to play from the back and have terrible rounds. Having 3 woods into par 4’s doesn’t sound fun at all.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

7 minutes ago, silver & black said:

They do..... back, middle and front. Also senior's and women's tees. Maybe I just don't understand what you're getting at?

I think he’s asking why can’t we move to a different tee box during a round. Like say most of the par 4s are reach able in 2 good shots for me but then the par 3s are way too far back why can’t I just move up a tee or 2 for those specific holes

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

12 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I think he’s asking why can’t we move to a different tee box during a round. Like say most of the par 4s are reach able in 2 good shots for me but then the par 3s are way too far back why can’t I just move up a tee or 2 for those specific holes

That makes more sense.  In response to that I don't think anyone cares what tee you play from except perhaps the group you're playing with.  Certainly the golf courses do not - at least the ones I've played.  The exception being folks who have no business playing from tee lengths that are beyond their capability - and for sure when it starts slowing course play.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I don't see an issue. My course we have 5 tees and and you can play whatever tees you'd like.

We've had women play with us from the white 6200 and men play the 5600 gold

Guys I play with are all for everybody playing whatever tees they like. Even moving a round during the round.

In the same round. I've played black, blue, white and Gold. Just to get different looks.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don’t hit the ball long enough to enjoy golf from the Championship tees but there are holes which I do enjoy the longer challenge. Unless I’m inconveniencing others I bounce around based on the hole distance and layout.

My golf group does a Red, White and Blue challenge monthly. The 6 hardest holes by handicap we play from the Red. Handicap holes 7 thru 12 we play from the white. Handicap holes 13 thru 18 we play from the blues.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

This is really the heart of the problem of the lengthy rounds of golf. For the last 25-30 years the goal of equipment companies have been focused almost entirely of distance gains. The problem with added distance is unless a shot is perfectly down the target line each yard added in distance is going to add more distance right or left. Now add in a 45.5” driver that most amateurs can’t hit straight and we have people playing tee boxes much too long for their skill level.

The entire reason metal woods were invented was for durability, not distance gains. Only once manufacturers started working with titanium did the heads of clubs grow, which led to longer drives; which led to longer courses; which led to 20 caps playing the tips because once a round they hit that driver square and put one out there 280 in the middle. The rest of the time they are in the trees.

I actually find it kind of funny that amateurs make so many decisions on their equipment or game based on what pros play or do. A 10 handicap is as far from a tour pro as a rec league hockey player is from the NHL, yet those 10 caps think they can play a 7000 yard course successfully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

In reading the OP and some of the following comments, I'm not 100% sure I understand the question. You eliminated competitive rounds and tournaments in the OP, but then someone asked about switching tees mid-round.

I will answer this based on posting a round for handicap. If you are scoring a round and posting for handicap, you need to stay at the same tees for the entire round. Well, you can play one set of tees on the front nine, and then switch to another set of tees for the back nine, and still be able to post for handicap that way. But honestly, if you are coming from this from the perspective of why can't a man play the front tees, or the senior tees even if they are 30 years old or whatever, well, it doesn't matter, as long as you are playing the same tees the entire round, if posting for handicap. You just need the slope and course rating from whatever tee markers you chose when starting the round.

I do know some clubs that offer split tees with course and ratings for their members. The most common occurence I've seen of this is where they split the regular and senior tees, depending on the hole, so that the old guys don't feel old and they are playing the regular tees for half of the round. It's a pride thing for some of them I guess or maybe they still feel like playing the regular tees, but can't hit it far enough on some of the longer par 4s and par 5s.

But if someone wants to go out for fun, and play the ladies tees for a few holes, and then play the tips on a couple of other holes and not post for handicap, do whatever you want, because no one will care either way.

Side note - I did play a round with a few college students last weekend, and I had a feeling they were not the best of golfers, and were just out to beat balls. I was playing from the tips, and I made it clear to them to keep playing those front tees, no matter what I did. I mostly didn't want to take them out of their comfort zone, as the round was already long enough with them hitting from the front tees. Ah the joys of muni golf life.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I don't see an issue. My course we have 5 tees and and you can play whatever tees you'd like.

We've had women play with us from the white 6200 and men play the 5600 gold

Guys I play with are all for everybody playing whatever tees they like. Even moving a round during the round.

In the same round. I've played black, blue, white and Gold. Just to get different looks.

This exactly. Heck, I've seen a lot of courses completely do away with having red colored tee markers in order to eliminate the stigma of up tees being for ladies.

I would expect that handicap recording would be the only problem with choosing the tee that you like hole by hole.

In my circle of recidivist scoundrels, that little consideration wouldn't deter anybody from turning in attested cards.

We're having fun, not performing neurosurgery.

I would expect that handicap recording would be the only problem with choosing the tee that you like hole by hole.
In my circle of recidivist scoundrels, that little consideration wouldn't deter anybody from turning in attested cards.

But slope and ratings are different for each tee. Shouldn't make a difference

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:
18 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

But slope and ratings are different for each tee. Shouldn't make a difference

If the computer can figure out what you did, that's really great.

I didn't know that.  Cool.

Sadly, I didn't have the probity and rectitude to worry about it, either!

Even at my very best, when I briefly carried a 7 and change index,

and most of the time it was only a little higher in the eights,

I was just a guy having fun more than a serious player.

You have to play with seriously competitive players to be one,

and I just played with my crew.

And my crew was pretty much what you're probably picturing right now.

Simply because there are not enough good and or mature players out there. I’m not talking about how long someone has played the game maturity but golf mentality maturity.   I’d say most male golfers wants to play from the tip of every holes regardless of their abilities that’s why there are campaign like “Tee it forward”. Ever notice some courses that put the red, white, and blue tees less than 5 yards from each other and people still tee off from the blue tees. 

As as far as the equipments goes, the similarities are pretty much only the brand and model numbers printed on the clubs, loft and length are definitely not the same. 

A popular thing for men walking our course is to play the whites but hit from gold(senior) on 4 or 5 holes, because the white tee was a bigger uphill walk. Also because the whites are longer than many blues elsewhere.  Anyway for this seasons scorecards, the club added the white/gold as an official option, and marked which gold tees to hit, and gave it a slope and rating.  It is still longer and higher rated than most whites.  :)

I'm 44, 19hc and I play the full gold.  If I ever shoot 79 I'll bump back to the whites.  :) play whatever tee you're comfortable on :)

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

This exactly. Heck, I've seen a lot of courses completely do away with having red colored tee markers in order to eliminate the stigma of up tees being for ladies.

We've thought about that (doing away with red) as we have many 80 plus seniors that play from there snd give it no thought.

As one of them told me a while back when talking about thst. “I’m 83 years old, i may only hit the ball 150 yards off the tee. But by god, I’m healthy enough to do this several days a week, can still see well enough to follow my ball. And i couldn’t give a bleep what someone says about me playing the red tees. I tell them playing the Red markers sure as hell beats, laying under any color marker”.

I just said. Here here. And i hope im half as healthy and energetic when im 83!!

I really enjoy talking to him about a lot if things in general.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So in California we are, let’s say , progressive , about 10 years ago all clubs stopped labeling men’s and ladies tees and just went straight to the colors. Blue, white, red, gold is typical. On top of that most courses have a set of combo tees. These generally consist of the par 3’s and par 5’s playing the longer tee and all the rest the the shorter of the set.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I do it all the time in casual rounds. Lots of courses in my area have responded to that by prayer biding blended tees as well. So for example my club has four sets of tees that are morphed into 7.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I'm out on the course it's frequently with my wife .. who's not a big hitter .. and likes playing the Forward tees so she has a good chance of hitting the fairway .. and so a good chance of actually enjoying her round!

All of our rounds are social ;-) rounds (I rarely keep score and do not maintain a handicap).

And I play up there with her .. I enjoy using different clubs off the tee, eg. 4W or 4H. As I am also working on hitting more fairways. I usually move 1-2 club lengths back, fwiw.

Occasionally if there's a hole that looks shorter or easier to us we may move to the White or whatever next tee back.

If we're paired with others (usually guys, who are usually making very dramatic practice swings with their drivers) we usually have plenty of time to walk to our balls and set up for our next shot while the guys in a cart are driving from side to side looking for each of their tee shots.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I don’t hit the ball long enough to enjoy golf from the Championship tees

Not picking on ya Steddy.... But I enjoy golf as much as ever playing the middle tee at my course. What I regret was hanging back on the Championship tee for about 2 years too long. But after I finally gave up the ghost a few years ago I've been playing and scoring much better. I hope the day comes when I move up to the Senior Tee. The alternative wouldn't be good.

I know a lot of guys around here like to get out on the course and jack around and play silly games, etc. And that's A-okay with me. I like having fun too - but fun to me is competition. Stroke play competitions and or match play formats mostly. That's all we ever play. We start on a particular set of tees and play the entire round from there. Like I've said a hundred times. We're always gambling and playing pretty seriously. It's our own way of having fun. But that style of play isn't for everyone. But we like it and that's what we do.  In golf I say whatever floats your boat. Swinging a club sure beats mowing a yard. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Not picking on ya Steddy.... But I enjoy golf as much as ever playing the middle tee at my course. What I regret was hanging back on the Championship tee for about 2 years too long. But after I finally gave up the ghost a few years ago I've been playing and scoring much better. I hope the day comes when I move up to the Senior Tee. The alternative wouldn't be good.
I know a lot of guys around here like to get out on the course and jack around and play silly games, etc. And that's A-okay with me. I like having fun too - but fun to me is competition. Stroke play competitions and or match play formats mostly. That's all we ever play. We start on a particular set of tees and play the entire round from there. Like I've said a hundred times. We're always gambling and playing pretty seriously. It's our own way of having fun. But that style of play isn't for everyone. But we like it and that's what we do.  In golf I say whatever floats your boat. Swinging a club sure beats mowing ba yard. 🏌️♂️

On our scorecard there's an option to play combination tees (6,000 yds). Depending on the hole you could be playing from the senior tees (5700 yds) and the whites (6200 yds).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

They all have slope and rating so that anyone can play from anywhere (if youre into maintaining hcp)  

Oh and ladies don't have to play reds either.  I've golfed with a few women who smoked me from the whites.  LPGA I believe is played from one tee forward of PGA tees, or same as where Champions tour tees from.  :)

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

The courses in my area all have what I would call a "Men's Tee", and it's White... except for our course.  I have no idea why our course decided to change up the color.  Our "Men's Tee" is Blue, and White is our "Senior Tee".  Actually, for our muni it works out pretty well.  Whenever I go to a strange course, I always look at the tee yardage to chose which tee to play.  Not everyone does that.  People that don't usually play our course head straight to the Whites, which is where a lot of them should probably play from anyway.  I've played with guys that headed to the Whites on the first tee.  I told them that I was playing from the Blues, but they were welcome to play from the Whites.  They usually move back with me because they don't want to play a shorter course than "an old timer".  LOL

A story about playing the correct tees...

Several years ago, my wife and I went to play a course here in town that we hadn't played in awhile.  It is one of two true "desert courses" in Washington State.  My wife went to the Forward Tees (not Red in color), and the tees were marked with flower pots with actual flowers blooming in them.  She said: "Oh, hell no!!"  So, she moved back to the senior tees, and played in the desert most of the day.  Lesson learned!  

On our course, my wife will play from the Whites once in a while depending on how she feels or if we are getting ready to travel where the Forward tees are longer than those at our course.  I've played the Whites many times and I can honestly say that my score is not really any different than playing from the Blues.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Whenever I go to a strange course, I always look at the tee yardage to chose which tee to play.  Not everyone does that.  People that don't usually play our course head straight to the Whites, which is where a lot of them should probably play from anyway.

I do the same - I generally like to play the tees = 6,000 yds. Different course seem to have different  colors to designate that. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart