Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Using a putter you dislike

GolfSpy MPR

The off-season has begun here, which means we're entering tinkering season. (Full disclosure: I'd be hard-pressed to tell you which I enjoy more.)

I'm prepping for this winter's putter shootout. I'm going with a more limited field this year:

MLA XDream with Flat Cat

Evnroll ER6

Cleveland TFI2135 Satin Elevado

Odyssey Toe Up #1

The last three either have or will have P2 grips on them. Along with the Flat Cat, I have personally found benefit from grips that tell my hands when the face is square.

If you're keeping score, you'll see I have three mallets and one blade. But the Toe Up is not your normal blade. Some of you have used one of these, and you know: it's an ugly putter. The hosel setup is really awkward looking. The broader aesthetics (little jewels on the sole? Really, Odyssey?) are cheap looking.

But it was my main gamer last year, and my strokes gained was better with it than with my Evnroll.

It's a MGS orthodoxy that your appreciation of a putter's looks has no relation to how you putt with it. But I'm wondering: how many of you regularly game a putter that you actively dislike the looks of?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I had been putting with my PING G5 B60 putter for 15 years, and honestly I loved the look of it, simply because I love the color blue. But when your Dad gives you a TaylorMade Ghost Spider putter that costs ??? you give it a shot. And I've had it a couple of years and just decided to give it a shot within the past few months. I've never been much of a fan of mallet putters not only for how they look but for how they feel, but this one seems to be helping my putting game a bit so I'm gonna stick with it for now. But do I like how it looks? Not really. I miss my blue buddy, but my putting was in need of a change of pace, so that is why I am where I am right now.

I have been eyeing those EVNRoll putters and the talk here on MGS about them, so I may go down that road eventually. We'll see.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Well, I have learned to tolerate my B60. I don't really like the look at address, but I putt really well with it so I am condidtioning myself to think it is the prettiest putter ever. It seems to be helping me to be confident over the ball and I am making more putts. When I was trying out putters, my to choices were down to: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 and the B60. The Betti was the prettiest by far but the B60 produced better results, so the B60 is in the bag. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

3 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

It's a MGS orthodoxy that your appreciation of a putter's looks has no relation to how you putt with it. But I'm wondering: how many of you regularly game a putter that you actively dislike the looks of?

Not me.  I guess I should feel blessed to have a stock Ping B61, with original grip, that not only putts great but looks smoking hot. 😃 Good luck with the testing/try out period. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

This year the ZB2 or Tyne 4 with a lamkin deep etch cord will be in my bag.

It’s already decided. I feel like I’m some spinster trying to find a husband the way I’ve been searching for putters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

But I'm wondering: how many of you regularly game a putter that you actively dislike the looks of?

Not me.

I have to at least like the way a putter looks. From address with me standing over a ball. To me that's all that matters as far as looks go. If I don't instantly like what I see at address then it's a non-starter.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

For me results matter more. I say this but when you walk over to the putter wall and you walk through endless amounts of putters, there's a reason you try a handful of putters. We gravitate towards the ones that suits are eye before anything. Although I agree with the concept that looks should not matter; They ultimately do. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I've been rolling the Toe Up #1 the last couple seasons. I want to hate it for the exact reasons you mentioned but my putting has improved!! Specifically my lags which were abysmal in recent years

Whether it's the tool or the operator is what I'd like to find out. Want to find some different putter designs to buy second hand and put them to the test.

Simply going for a proper fitting is boring anyways 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 10/27/2018 at 12:44 PM, mpatrickriley said:

I've been playing with the same putter for 15 years or more, and I like the way it looks just fine.  ut it seems to me that if I was putting really well with a different one, I'd like the looks of it pretty dang quickly.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a Cleveland Mezzo and a Evnroll ER2 CS that I bounce between. I love the look, the feel and the grip with the ER2 but for some reason the Mezzo always has the upper hand with fewer putts per round when I decide to play it. It's not that I dislike the Mezzo, I just don't get that excited using it. I really want to be able to putt as well with my ER2. 

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

I know I putt with putters other people may dislike looking at, that's for damn sure!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I putt with what works. I have references I like such as blade vs mid or full mallet. Mid mallet is better for me than full but with the right setup in length, shaft offset and weight I am able to putt well with my preferred blade shape 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Well, prior to actually purchasing my current gamer I thought the SC 6M was hideous. Once I started using the shop demo on the course and seeing putts pour in I kinda stopped caring so much. Best putter I've ever bought and I don't say that because it's Scotty Cameron (there are plenty of other brands just as good or arguably better), but simply because it works for me. That's all that matters right?

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

I just put an Edel E1 in the bag and honestly I hate looking down at it but it just works. I do like that it is blacked out and like the round grip but if I was picking a flat stick on looks this would not be it. The feel at impact is like butter which is why it is in the bag.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

For a while I was gaming a used (but in great condition) TM Nubbins. I honestly bought it out necessity rather than preference. I needed putter when I started playing a few years back and it was a CHEAP option at the local Play It Again Sports. I didn’t want to get committed to something when I was first starting out and just wanted to get on the course. My history with it was nothing consistent; made some impressive puts but also struggled with ones I felt were achievable. Not to mention I always felt the grip was too small but I wasn’t getting to put money towards it.
This past season I finally got a new Odyssey White Hot RX V-Line Fang Putter.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I’m a different kind of putter I guess. Doesn’t matter the name, brand, look, weight, feel, or even length I can putt with almost anything. Yes I have even tried putting left handed and still more or less same results. I had a Nike method by far my favorite putter but since it went up in flames I’ve been playing a ping anser 2 with no complaints. My buddies hate it in my hands, but I love it!!!

6 minutes ago, Mizuno_fan said:

I’m a different kind of putter I guess. Doesn’t matter the name, brand, look, weight, feel, or even length I can putt with almost anything. Yes I have even tried putting left handed and still more or less same results. I had a Nike method by far my favorite putter but since it went up in flames I’ve been playing a ping anser 2 with no complaints. My buddies hate it in my hands, but I love it!!!

That's really interesting! In theory there should be some putters that fit your stroke better and therefore make you putt better. Does your stroke change with each putter so it fits well? Just curious. 

Longer or shorter putters I will switch my grip to whatever feels comfortable, however my grip is more or less the same. We have actually tested this on a putting green for hours. Me hitting 20 different putters from locations and lag only or playing the break hitting it a little harder through the break it all just works for me. Idk how to explain it, but if you want to see me choke put me on a putt putt course.

1 minute ago, Mizuno_fan said:

Longer or shorter putters I will switch my grip to whatever feels comfortable, however my grip is more or less the same. We have actually tested this on a putting green for hours. Me hitting 20 different putters from locations and lag only or playing the break hitting it a little harder through the break it all just works for me. Idk how to explain it, but if you want to see me choke put me on a putt putt course.

That is really cool. You must just have a natural talent for putting if you can make anything work. I am really envious! 

It’s not as good as it sounds. I have my downfalls. I actually got to go on a sky track to practice putting and out of 20 putts 18/20 were read at face being 0.00 and the other 2 were at 0.01. But to hit indoors for some reason I can’t do it and feel like I’m going to hit something even though I know there is enough room. So I just putt🤣

Archived