TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bunker Shots

fixyurdivot

Do bunker shots strike fear in your game?  This is probably one of the shots least practiced and perfected by most players.  Folks generally prefer to crush drivers, listen to balls sizzle as they rocket of an iron, and/or putt.  Plus, not as many courses offer practice sand traps.  Many years ago, I did focus on and practice bunker play, but not so much in recent years.  While I do pretty well out of most bunker situations, I must admit that this shot raises my BP more than most. They are responsible for a healthy percentage of my errant shots.  No doubt this is largely due to the fact that I don't practice these shots very much and because sand condition can vary a lot. One of the courses in Yuma has a monthly rate for unlimited access to the practice area; which includes some nice, 60+ yard chipping area and bunker practice green. I will be focusing more on sand trap play this winter. How much time do you spend on improving bunker play and do you use any particular routine?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely practice bunker/sand play. We don't even have a practice bunker at my home course. Ugh! I used to get out on the course more in the evenings and at those times I'd practice my sand shots some. But I haven't done that in months. Hmmm?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Bunker shots are exactly like riding bicycle, well doing bicycle tricks. Once you know how to do it you can always do it but, but pulling off great shots requires lots of practice to keep your skills sharp. 

The goal should be in 3 stages depending on your skills get it out, get it on and get it close. 

I dedicate one day a week for bunker practice and it’s always my favorite day of practice. lately my favorite club is the 64* pm Callaway, that thing is like a spatula and really versatile grind, I can really get aggressive with my explosion.  I also practice with other clubs like my hybrid, chipper(yes, you have no idea that you can legally cheat the game with this:))and putter, as well as different ways to get it out.  

When ego does not matter and you are faced with long bunker shot like 40 yards for a 3 skins carry over, chipping out can be an excellent option, hybrid and chipper are the go to club practice and you’ll see how useful it is  

I just started teaching my niece the dreaded bunker shots and I may have stumbled onto a drill to help out beginners, usually they like to take a long back swing and slam it to the ball and stop, same happened to my niece, I told her to reverse it. Take a backswing about hip high then finish at the shoulder height. She’s cured on the first tried and since.  No fancy openstance, just square it up and swing. 

If you are struggling with your bunker play give it a try, it might cure your problem. 

Take a backswing about hip high then finish at the shoulder height. She’s cured on the first tried and since.  No fancy openstance, just square it up and swing. 
If you are struggling with your bunker play give it a try, it might cure your problem. 

I like playing out of bunkers and prefer it to rough especially green side.

Your technique works well. But I would caution that it's a bit more complex than that. Soft sand is different from hard pan, fairway bunkers different technique than green side, a really deep bunker vs shallow, etc.

But it all comes down to practice and knowing which club to use when. For instance two scenarios where the bunkers are identical except for the type of sand, I might use my 56 vs 60 because of the difference in the bounce.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I really enjoy bunker shots. I just open my stance and open the face and swing over the top. The toughest thing is distance control. I just change how far behind the ball I hit for distance control. The shorter the shot, the more sand I take behind the ball. 

Edit: I always use a 58*. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My course I somewhat enjoy playing out of greenside bunkers because the sand is fairly soft and easy to control. Fairway bunkers I approach them all pretty much the same. Pick it clean, maybe just a half swing with the 3w to help not dig in.

I used to spend 30-45 minutes a week practicing usually only two or three shots in a session (explosion, lots of spin, plugged in the sand, different distances, etc.) when I'd be at the short game area. Playing around with the short game is definitely my favourite part of practice!

This season haven't been out much never mind had time to practice but my sand game hasn't been disappointing when I get myself in a bunker.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In the past I maintained a very flat swing which was beneficial for bunker play but made the rest of my game somewhat erratic. Finally, got the “normal” swing working on a better plane, but have lost almost all ability to hit the bunker shot like I used to. It’s definitely rattled my nerves a bit this year. Hoping to squeeze one lesson in before it’s too cold so I have something to work on in the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

20 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

In the past I maintained a very flat swing which was beneficial for bunker play but made the rest of my game somewhat erratic. Finally, got the “normal” swing working on a better plane, but have lost almost all ability to hit the bunker shot like I used to. It’s definitely rattled my nerves a bit this year. Hoping to squeeze one lesson in before it’s too cold so I have something to work on in the off-season.

Being able to practice long bunker shots is even more challenging - simply not many courses offer that in the practice areas.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Being able to practice long bunker shots is even more challenging - simply not many courses offer that in the practice areas.  

My home course has a couple of good holes to drop a few balls and work on that tricky 40 yard bunker shot (when it’s slow). If you’re talking about fairway bunker shots, that’s gotten better since changing my swing and I never practice those.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think, if you have no practice area, the easiest way to do this is to take a 7 or 8 iron and play a normal bunker shot. Just like how you would with a wedge around the green. Use an open face, open stance, and hit 2 inches behind the ball, but just with a 7 or 8 iron. 

I used to practice in the bunkers every time i would practice.Even took a few short game lessons and have a great technique and understanding.Sadly, after all the effort, I still have no idea how the ball will come out.Or a few times stays in the trap.For most cappers, sand traps are a true hazard 

Keep it in the short stuff

If I'm ever playing alone and the course gets slow ahead of me I always use that time to get a few practice sand shots in. It's the only opportunity I have to practice the shot.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:02 PM, GB13 said:

I really enjoy bunker shots. I just open my stance and open the face and swing over the top. The toughest thing is distance control. I just change how far behind the ball I hit for distance control. The shorter the shot, the more sand I take behind the ball. 

Edit: I always use a 58*. 

This is my approach as well. 

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

I am not afraid of any bunker shot I actually enjoy trying things. The problem is there is no place around me with a decent practice bunker, so results are always very mixed. Maybe because I have such low expectations it makes it kind of fun to try different shots.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Proper wedge has really boost my confidence as well as youtube vids. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I think that once you learn a reasonably bunker technique, it remains with you pretty well, at least for me.   I use a pretty standard technique, open stance, open club, maintain clubhead speed through the ball.  I'm consistently decent to good in reasonably firm sand, I struggle a little more in fine soft sand like I've seen in Florida.  I do think that you need to adjust your expectations a little, you really shouldn't take extra risk to try to get it close.  Out is good, always get it out, never leave it in.  If that means I hit the ball 30 feet past, or 30 feet short, fine, I'm putting.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I was about to start a similar post but will ride the coat tails of this one. I'm a very good bunker player but have ran into problems with wet sand on my last two outings that caused me to bullet the ball over the green. I looked some techniques up and had a chance to try them out in practice yesterday because the bunker was semi-wet. I'd love to hear any special things you guys do for
wet/hard sand. Thanks

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

13 minutes ago, Brewmaster said:

I was about to start a similar post but will ride the coat tails of this one. I'm a very good bunker player but have ran into problems with wet sand on my last two outings that caused me to bullet the ball over the green. I looked some techniques up and had a chance to try them out in practice yesterday because the bunker was semi-wet. I'd love to hear any special things you guys do for
wet/hard sand. Thanks

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Usually the problem with hard sand is, the club bounces off the sand, and skips into the ball causing a bladed shot. 

There are two solutions, 

1. (Recommended) I would make sure to have at least one wedge in the bag with low bounce, and it doesn't have to be your highest lofted wedge. The low bounce will stop the skipping and dig into the sand a little more. You can also rotate in this wedge if you know it is going to be wet, so you don't use a permanent spot in the bag. 

2. While moving through the impact zone, make a conscious effort to keep the club grounded to the sand to eliminate skipping. 

57 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Usually the problem with hard sand is, the club bounces off the sand, and skips into the ball causing a bladed shot. 

There are two solutions, 

1. (Recommended) I would make sure to have at least one wedge in the bag with low bounce, and it doesn't have to be your highest lofted wedge. The low bounce will stop the skipping and dig into the sand a little more. You can also rotate in this wedge if you know it is going to be wet, so you don't use a permanent spot in the bag. 

2. While moving through the impact zone, make a conscious effort to keep the club grounded to the sand to eliminate skipping. 

I've tried the less-bounce option, and don't really like my results.  When I'm in really firm or wet sand, I take my normal sand wedge, normal stance and swing, and really think about thumping the back edge into the sand behind the ball.  I don't consciously think about steepening my entry, although that's probably the result.  Even with the steeper entry, the bounce deflects the club so it goes on a pretty shallow path under the ball.  Its also important to keep the clubhead speed up, not be afraid of the thin shot.  This sounds pretty similar to GB's option 2 above.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Do sand bunkers strike fear in me, yea and a lot.    For some years, I had to live with the nickname, Priceless.   It was given to me by a Pinehurst caddie and was based on the credit card commercial:

Green fees:    $200

A dozen golf balls:  $50

Me in a bunker: .................

The pro at a club in which I was a member spend almost 2 hours with me in a bunker.   When over he said and I quote:  I have been teaching for 25 years and I have never seen anything like this before.   That same year, the course hosted what was then called the Futures Tour.   It was at the Wednesday night dinner, I was sitting at a rather large round table with some buds and some of the lady players.  Of course, the pro had to provide a commentary on my bunker lesson.   The laughter was so loud that it started to draw a crowd.  If nothing else, my bunker play is entertaining to others.

I’ve hit into them so often that they no longer frighten me. It just depends on if it’s rock, sand or dry creek bed consistency. Different swing for all

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Bunker shots are round killers for me. It’s not that I can’t get out it’s that I can’t save the par. I just have not learned the art of distance and direction control out of the sand. I recently played a round where I was in the bunker 13 times and shot an 85. The math is kind of obvious. Fairway bunkers are not as much of an issue. I just bang those out and recover nicely for the most part.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

There are two solutions, 

If we’re talking wet compacted sand, I just play it like a pitch with my most lofted club unless the lip is tall enough that such a shot is impossible. Otherwise, I just take a low bounce wedge and try to throw the sole of the club into the sand as hard as I can and let the bounce take care of the rest.

11 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Bunker shots are round killers for me. It’s not that I can’t get out it’s that I can’t save the par. I just have not learned the art of distance and direction control out of the sand. I recently played a round where I was in the bunker 13 times and shot an 85. The math is kind of obvious. Fairway bunkers are not as much of an issue. I just bang those out and recover nicely for the most part.

The solution to this seems pretty obvious....don't hit it in the bunker!

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Yea.....”sigh”...

I can get out most of the time, but distance control for me is hard. I never practice.

that pretty well explains my answer...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

IMO, the bunker shot is a whole other technique in itself. I used to be mortified of them mostly because I never figured out the technique and just kinda made something up every time I hit from one.. which hardly ever worked. I finally decided to spend some regular time practicing bunker shots and learning the proper technique.. well "A" proper technique as there are a few different ways to skin that cat. A few Youtube bunker practice videos and some repetition and now I no longer dread them.

Even if there isn't sand available to practice in, I'll find some fluffy grass similar to rough, make sure the ball's sitting on top and take the same swing as I would in the bunker. Club face wide open toward the target, body and stance turned out (open) about a foot, leading foot turned out nearly aiming at the target and 80% of my weight on that foot. Legs slightly more than shoulder width apart to lower stance and open face a tad more, ball in the middle or slightly back in stance, hands choked down to the bottom of the grip. Nearly vertical back swing and swing across my body and around my waist. On grass, I try to hit as little of the ball as possible. Maybe the top edge will give it a kiss to get it up in the air. 

Even in the Phoenix area where most budget course bunkers are literally like hitting off of concrete, as long as you have a good technique grooved, you can still slip that face under the ball for an up and down. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've been doing better out of bunkers this year, not because of practice, but because of the club I use.  I'm using the Callaway Sure-Out, but I'm sure that the Cleveland Smart Sole, XE-1, or any wedge with a big sole would probably work just as well for me. At least now I can get out of the bunker in one shot.  If I practiced more, maybe I can get the ball closer to the hole.

My biggest issue with bunkers is the inconsistency of the the sand in the bunker.  The pros don't play the same bunker game that I do simply because all of the bunkers they play from are basically the same; practice in the bunker and they have a good bunker game.  Bunkers that I play from vary from fluffy sand, firm sand, no sand, nicely raked, not raked, footprints, goose prints, you name it.  That's golf at a muni.  I suspect I would play better from the bunkers that pros play from, so I can't get too upset about my lack of ability to get up and down.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Finally got in for my lesson after rescheduling twice due to weather. Basically, my setup for bunker shots was just all wrong. Got that sorted and now I’d have to say I definitely have more confidence in my ability again. Still need to practice to get back where I was though.

For the first few years I played on a course that didn’t have any sand and when I started playing other courses I quickly decided to learn the shot. First had to practice off river bottom sand around our home, then started sneaking out to the private course my grandparents lived near when I could drive. Eventually got caught and worked out permission to use their practice area then spent a lot of time out there till I got the hang of the shot.

For practicing sand play I like to alternate targets and trajectory as frequently as possible to keep from going into autopilot. I’ll also place a club or alignment stick on the green a few feet before and after the target area and try to keep the ball inside this area just to add an element of pass/fail to things.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

For the first few years I played on a course that didn’t have any sand and when I started playing other courses I quickly decided to learn the shot. First had to practice off river bottom sand around our home, then started sneaking out to the private course my grandparents lived near when I could drive. Eventually got caught and worked out permission to use their practice area then spent a lot of time out there till I got the hang of the shot.

For practicing sand play I like to alternate targets and trajectory as frequently as possible to keep from going into autopilot. I’ll also place a club or alignment stick on the green a few feet before and after the target area and try to keep the ball inside this area just to add an element of pass/fail to things.

Something you might want to try on the practice green is a kids 'hula hoop'. It creates a nice target are about 3' in diameter.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel