Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bunker Shots

fixyurdivot

I practice bunker shots about once a month. My club has two practice greens with practice bunkers - those bunkers have different sand in them so it’s nice.

I was in two bunkers today and got up and down once, the other was easy out, easy two putt bogey so mission accomplished from the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something you might want to try on the practice green is a kids 'hula hoop'. It creates a nice target are about 3' in diameter.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Done that but got tired of carrying the hoop. Now I use the rods since they’re already in my bag or I’ve even used string to make a circle.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 2 months later...

I've been experimenting with using my 8i to chip from shallower face traps.  One of the guys I play with does this frequently and with good results.  Anyone else use a club besides a SW? 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've been experimenting with using my 8i to chip from shallower face traps.  One of the guys I play with does this frequently and with good results.  Anyone else use a club besides a SW? 

I've been practicing bump-n-run shots from the grass with a 9i and even my 50*, so I could see the use of an 8i for that type of shot...not sure if I'd have the guts to pull it off though..!🐓

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've done it when there is very little or no sand in the bunker, but it's not something I practice.  With the wind here, certain bunkers are wind-blown until the superintendent adds more sand.

Not at my course, but I have also putted out of bunkers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've done it when there is very little or no sand in the bunker, but it's not something I practice.  With the wind here, certain bunkers are wind-blown until the superintendent adds more sand.

Similar conditions here in Yuma.  Some traps have more packed, less fluffy sand that can be hard to "splash" out of.  I tried my 8i a few times the last several rounds using the same bump and run stroke I use around the green.  It seems to cut into the harder sand more reliably, reducing the chance of having a SW bounce up and gut the ball.  Also, the bunkers on the courses we're playing here aren't really deep or on high slope - though some are and still require a SW.  

I'm telling ya, some of these older guys have some little tricks up their sleeve that, while perhaps not conventional, work quite well.

6 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I've been practicing bump-n-run shots from the grass with a 9i and even my 50*, so I could see the use of an 8i for that type of shot...not sure if I'd have the guts to pull it off though..!🐓

Try using your 8i for those bump n' run shots.  I recently switched from having used my 7i for these shots, for years. I'm finding the 8i loft just the right combination to lift them and control roll-out.  I've had many more chip in's (or damn near) since this change.

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Try using your 8i for those bump n' run shots.  I recently switched from having used my 7i for these shots, for years. I'm finding the 8i loft just the right combination to lift them and control roll-out.  I've had many more chip in's (or damn near) since this change.

Awesome, I will give that a go. Thanks Bud!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Similar conditions here in Yuma.  Some traps have more packed, less fluffy sand that can be hard to "splash" out of.  I tried my 8i a few times the last several rounds using the same bump and run stroke I use around the green.  It seems to cut into the harder sand more reliably, reducing the chance of having a SW bounce up and gut the ball.  Also, the bunkers on the courses we're playing here aren't really deep or on high slope - though some are and still require a SW.  

I'm telling ya, some of these older guys have some little tricks up their sleeve that, while perhaps not conventional, work quite well.

There are no greenside bunkers on my course that I could get out of using an 8i and stay on the green.  Maybe Seve could have, but not me.  😀

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 1/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, Kenny B said:

I am not above putting out of a bunker, but the lip cannot be curling back at you.  

My normal bunker shot is with the SW (54*).  On hard-packed sand, I'll use my 58* (less bounce) for shorter shots or the 49* (also less bounce) for longer shots.  I rarely leave it in the sand, but I don't get it as close as I'd like all that often.  I'm pretty much limited to the chunk and run; I can't get one to stop quickly.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I am not above putting out of a bunker, but the lip cannot be curling back at you.  
My normal bunker shot is with the SW (54*).  On hard-packed sand, I'll use my 58* (less bounce) for shorter shots or the 49* (also less bounce) for longer shots.  I rarely leave it in the sand, but I don't get it as close as I'd like all that often.  I'm pretty much limited to the chunk and run; I can't get one to stop quickly.

There is one bunker at my home course that I putt out of, depending on pin location. Can only do it if they haven’t been raked for a few days and become hard.

CobraConnectChallenge3

2 hours ago, robertson153 said:

There is one bunker at my home course that I putt out of, depending on pin location. Can only do it if they haven’t been raked for a few days and become hard.

Yeah, we have a few that are like that as well.  There's no shame in my game.  I'd rather look stupid by putting and getting on the green than look stupid by blading one 40 yards over the green.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 1/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Oh yeah! If it's really shallow / no lip and really close to the green - try the putter!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh yeah! If it's really shallow / no lip and really close to the green - try the putter!

We played Yuma Country Club today for the first time and their sand is powder compared to the other course in the immediate area. One in our group did putt from a bunker today, and nearly holed out from 30+ ft.  It's rare that I choose to try this approach, but beginning to think about trying it when the situation presents itself.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Do bunker shots strike fear in your game? 

Yeah..... This aspect of the game is still my nemesis and the weakest part. The taller and steeper, and closer, the lip is the worse I get. I know it's all mental but i just don't - yet - have that shot on command...

Trying to stimulate bunker practice in the garage by figuring out how to elevate the ball quickly. Still very low percentage of "makes". Gonna have to work on this with my instructor!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

59 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah..... This aspect of the game is still my nemesis and the weakest part. The taller and steeper, and closer, the lip is the worse I get. I know it's all mental but i just don't - yet - have that shot on command...

Trying to stimulate bunker practice in the garage by figuring out how to elevate the ball quickly. Still very low percentage of "makes". Gonna have to work on this with my instructor!

Club face to the sky...Swing faster.  😉

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You left out "hit behind the ball"... all of which are what we're generally trying not to do on other shots 😬.

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'm finding through my trial and error experimentation - subject to review with my instructor! - that a "feel" that seems to be effective for me is like snapping the right hand (for a RH'er) through faster and "under" (the left) at impact. 

I guess this adds a touch of extra clubhead speed at just the right time along with holding the face open.

Work in progress........

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 10/27/2018 at 6:37 PM, Rusty1885 said:

I may have stumbled onto a drill to help out beginners, usually they like to take a long back swing and slam it to the ball and stop, same happened to my niece, I told her to reverse it. Take a backswing about hip high then finish at the shoulder height.

THANK YOU!!!!! 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

You left out "hit behind the ball"... all of which are what we're generally trying not to do on other shots 😬.

Yep yet another mental hurdle to overcome (vs swatting *at* the ball)!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So, when in the sand... "hit behind the ball"?  Now that I figured that out, guess what I do in a fairway bunker?!  Arrrgh!  🙄

I love bunker shots and it is a strong part of my game. Then again I hit about 50 of varying length at every practice session.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

1 minute ago, Jmikecpa said:

I love bunker shots and it is a strong part of my game. Then again I hit about 50 of varying length at every practice session.

Nice! That's a big thing I'm missing - good short game practice areas. There's a club not too far from me that offers "Practice Only" seasonal memberships ... gonna go take a look...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Nice! That's a big thing I'm missing - good short game practice areas. There's a club not too far from me that offers "Practice Only" seasonal memberships ... gonna go take a look...

We have two nice practice greens and a practice bunker on the side of the range. Nice pet is you can hit short, medium or long bunker shots as well as practice fairway bunker shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I had a two today in green side bunkers that demanded a bit longer than normal shot.  The sand was more typical (fluffy) than a couple of other courses and I used my SW. Both came out nicely, but short.  This continues to be a challenge for me.  Time to head back to YT and look for a good instruction video on adding distance.

I have trouble with bunkers when Florida transitions it’s sand. That time is just about past now though - I really need to pick up a super high bounce sand wedge for this two month period.

Don’t want to give up my 60 as is at least while I’m at Bayou. Need that loft around the greens. And I don’t hit it in bunkers that often.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have trouble with bunkers when Florida transitions it’s sand. That time is just about past now though - I really need to pick up a super high bounce sand wedge for this two month period.

Don’t want to give up my 60 as is at least while I’m at Bayou. Need that loft around the greens. And I don’t hit it in bunkers that often.

I've never heard of a sand transition period down there. Can you explain what takes place? Do they just add new fill?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I had a two today in green side bunkers that demanded a bit longer than normal shot.  The sand was more typical (fluffy) than a couple of other courses and I used my SW. Both came out nicely, but short.  This continues to be a challenge for me.  Time to head back to YT and look for a good instruction video on adding distance.

What club did you use and was the face square or open?
I keep the face square for long bunker shots, half open for medium, and fully open for short. For longer than my sand wedge shot I pick a longer club

I fine tuned my approach after watching the skill code series with Cameron McCormick; they show it on the golf channel periodically.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, revkev said:

I went through a stretch where every bunker shot came out, and even when they weren't perfect, they were pretty good.  Then, as you saw, that went to pieces.  I'd love to blame it on the sand, but I'm not so sure.....

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What club did you use and was the face square or open?
I keep the face square for long bunker shots, half open for medium, and fully open for short. For longer than my sand wedge shot I pick a longer club

I fine tuned my approach after watching the skill code series with Cameron McCormick; they show it on the golf channel periodically.

Both shots were green side bunkers, but large greens with the flag in the back (~40+ feet).  I used my SW for both. My main focus is to just get out and onto the putting surface - not leave in the bunker or gut and send flying. I'm doing pretty good at not committing those goofs, but I really don't feel like I have much control on distance. 

As I mentioned in the opening thread, it's been hard finding a place to practice and experiment with bunker play.  There is a course here in Yuma that has a practice area that includes a bunker, but it's part of a chipping green and gets lots of use.  I wish more courses had better opportunities to practice bunker shots.

Both shots were green side bunkers, but large greens with the flag in the back (~40+ feet).  I used my SW for both. My main focus is to just get out and onto the putting surface - not leave in the bunker or gut and send flying. I'm doing pretty good at not committing those goofs, but I really don't feel like I have much control on distance. 

As I mentioned in the opening thread, it's been hard finding a place to practice and experiment with bunker play.  There is a course here in Yuma that has a practice area that includes a bunker, but it's part of a chipping green and gets lots of use.  I wish more courses had better opportunities to practice bunker shots.

If you are faced with a similar shot again, play it with exactly the same setup and swing, but use a 9 iron. It will make the ball go farther and run more, but won't change any of the key fundamentals you have in place.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived