Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×

2 hours ago, robertson153 said:

There is one bunker at my home course that I putt out of, depending on pin location. Can only do it if they haven’t been raked for a few days and become hard.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, we have a few that are like that as well.  There's no shame in my game.  I'd rather look stupid by putting and getting on the green than look stupid by blading one 40 yards over the green.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I've been experimenting with using my 8i to chip from shallower face traps.  One of the guys I play with does this frequently and with good results.  Anyone else use a club besides a SW? 

Oh yeah! If it's really shallow / no lip and really close to the green - try the putter!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh yeah! If it's really shallow / no lip and really close to the green - try the putter!

We played Yuma Country Club today for the first time and their sand is powder compared to the other course in the immediate area. One in our group did putt from a bunker today, and nearly holed out from 30+ ft.  It's rare that I choose to try this approach, but beginning to think about trying it when the situation presents itself.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Do bunker shots strike fear in your game? 

Yeah..... This aspect of the game is still my nemesis and the weakest part. The taller and steeper, and closer, the lip is the worse I get. I know it's all mental but i just don't - yet - have that shot on command...

Trying to stimulate bunker practice in the garage by figuring out how to elevate the ball quickly. Still very low percentage of "makes". Gonna have to work on this with my instructor!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah..... This aspect of the game is still my nemesis and the weakest part. The taller and steeper, and closer, the lip is the worse I get. I know it's all mental but i just don't - yet - have that shot on command...

Trying to stimulate bunker practice in the garage by figuring out how to elevate the ball quickly. Still very low percentage of "makes". Gonna have to work on this with my instructor!

Club face to the sky...Swing faster.  😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You left out "hit behind the ball"... all of which are what we're generally trying not to do on other shots 😬.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'm finding through my trial and error experimentation - subject to review with my instructor! - that a "feel" that seems to be effective for me is like snapping the right hand (for a RH'er) through faster and "under" (the left) at impact. 

I guess this adds a touch of extra clubhead speed at just the right time along with holding the face open.

Work in progress........

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 6:37 PM, Rusty1885 said:

I may have stumbled onto a drill to help out beginners, usually they like to take a long back swing and slam it to the ball and stop, same happened to my niece, I told her to reverse it. Take a backswing about hip high then finish at the shoulder height.

THANK YOU!!!!! 👍

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

You left out "hit behind the ball"... all of which are what we're generally trying not to do on other shots 😬.

Yep yet another mental hurdle to overcome (vs swatting *at* the ball)!

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So, when in the sand... "hit behind the ball"?  Now that I figured that out, guess what I do in a fairway bunker?!  Arrrgh!  🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love bunker shots and it is a strong part of my game. Then again I hit about 50 of varying length at every practice session.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jmikecpa said:

I love bunker shots and it is a strong part of my game. Then again I hit about 50 of varying length at every practice session.

Nice! That's a big thing I'm missing - good short game practice areas. There's a club not too far from me that offers "Practice Only" seasonal memberships ... gonna go take a look...

Nice! That's a big thing I'm missing - good short game practice areas. There's a club not too far from me that offers "Practice Only" seasonal memberships ... gonna go take a look...

We have two nice practice greens and a practice bunker on the side of the range. Nice pet is you can hit short, medium or long bunker shots as well as practice fairway bunker shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk