TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stock Market

fixyurdivot

I'm beginning to think most of these cyclic swings are simply staged events.  Movers and shakers hoping to drive panic in the streets, force sell off's they can buy and subsequently gain from. The advent of day trading, by millions and millions as opposed to brokers of yesteryear has also changed market dynamics.  Certainly world events have always affected the markets, but it seems we're seeing more and more swings that aren't necessarily tied with those happenings.  The rather sophisticated algorithms used to leverage market trends may actually be part of the issue too.  Think for a moment about the myriad of investment strategies and tactics employed, all wrestling one another, which drive market dynamics.  The ability to monitor so much data, so quickly, and develop trends, is ever squeezing the shrinking opportunities - IMHO.

Hard as it is at times, I've avoided making changes when there is panic in the streets.  I don't do day trading but rather look for bargain prices on blue chip stocks; particularly those on the Dividend Aristocrat list. I would classify myself as a contrarian, low-moderate risk investor who is no doubt leaving money on the table being the tortoise instead of the hare.

What is your take on the stock markets and general approach to being invested in it?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

A fair amount of the volatility is due to machine trading along with simple profit taking. Wish we would resolve the China trade agreements - that would reduce the volatility somewhat as well. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've got a business degree and worked as a results accountant,

but I hate the field so much

that I pay some really smart broad to do my taxes

and this young Greek kid to handle my portfolio.

If I get a postcard from Brazil,

then I'll know that I'm screwed.

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

A fair amount of the volatility is due to machine trading

"Machine trading" is a good description.  When the machines start writing their own algorithms, I'm thinking I'm getting out 😱.  In retrospect, I should have probably just taken the advice offered from the older guys when I started with Boeing in 1986; just keep all your 401K in the S&P 500 fund and let it ride.  Looking at its net increase over that time is within a whisker of what I yielded - but with a lot less commotion. 

Beyond my 401(k) I don't pay any attention to it.  I also do not have the means to invest in the market.

One thing I am 99.9% sure of; and I'll say this without getting political or religious.  We're in for a HUGE correction very soon.  This much of a bull market for this long has to eventually correct itself.  And when the bear comes out of hibernation, watch out.

The thing that stands out to me is that unlike before, there are a lot of technology stocks driving this thing, and the likes of Google, Facebook, Amazon, et al are way too overvalued IMHO.  I'm conservative by nature, but if I had the means and the wherewithall, I'd dump my wealth into something that can't be touched by a US bank or the stock market.  We're (what?) $20 trillion in debt as a country?  That can't last forever.

Brush up on your Mandarin if I were you.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

4 hours ago, GSwag said:

Beyond my 401(k) I don't pay any attention to it.  I also do not have the means to invest in the market.

One thing I am 99.9% sure of; and I'll say this without getting political or religious.  We're in for a HUGE correction very soon.  This much of a bull market for this long has to eventually correct itself.  And when the bear comes out of hibernation, watch out.

The thing that stands out to me is that unlike before, there are a lot of technology stocks driving this thing, and the likes of Google, Facebook, Amazon, et al are way too overvalued IMHO.  I'm conservative by nature, but if I had the means and the wherewithall, I'd dump my wealth into something that can't be touched by a US bank or the stock market.  We're (what?) $20 trillion in debt as a country?  That can't last forever.

Brush up on your Mandarin if I were you.

Funny though that, in the past 3+ years, "the big bad bear market" has been predicted more times, by more so called experts in the field, that I've lost count.  Not saying your wrong - as I know you will eventually be right. 😉  If one would have followed Warren Buffet's doomsday forecast in 2016, they would have missed one of the largest gains in one year period on record. This is partly why I'm bringing up the thread; the markets just seem more unpredictable than ever before.  I like @tony@CICdescription of machine trading.  It's what I was trying to describe in my OP and probably did a bad job of doing so. 

Archived