Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Lee Westwood Rips PGA Tour New A-Hole!

GolfSpy_X

Very valid point by Westwood. But who actually votes in on the Rookie of the Year decision?

I have the same question, and, I will add, "What are the criteria?" Is there a minimum number of tournaments that Rory didn't meet, perhaps? Hard to argue that Fowler had a better year, so I'm trying to think of other explanations.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Let's see

Rory: won at quail hollow, had decent finishes in a few majors, played 11 tournaments on the PGA tour in 2009.

Rickie: first season playing on tour as a professional, had a lower scoring average than Rory, made more money than Rory, finished higher in the FedEX cup than Rory, had a higher average finish than Rory, had more top 10's and more top 25's than Rory.

Ryder Cup doesn't matter because both played on their respective teams and played well.

I'd take Rickie's year over Rory's any time. Sure Rory won once, but I think Rickie would rather win more money, play more consistently, and actually be a part of the Fed Ex Cup.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

This just makes me want Tiger to be back on top more than ever. This is very classless. I thought Westwood would have more sense than to do a stupid rant on the internet.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

• 1 month later...

Did anyone notice that Golf Magazine said that Rory was the Rookie of the Year?

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Westwood thinks because he is number one in the world he can say whatever he wants now, in my opinion he aint that special and should drink a nice glass of shut the hell up. He is fat, classless, major less, and stupid if he thinks rory honestly deserves it over Rickie.

Lee Westwood thinks because he is number one in the world he can say whatever he wants now, in my opinion he aint that special and should drink a nice glass of shut the hell up. He is fat, classless, major less, and stupid if he thinks rory honestly deserves it over Rickie.

Westwood talked regardless of his rank. Being world #1 gives him more weight when he does speak, though. I actually agree with him... it doesn't matter how much money you made, or how your FedEx cup standing is- a win's a win. Not only that, but 1>0.

Westwood talked regardless of his rank. Being world #1 gives him more weight when he does speak, though. I actually agree with him... it doesn't matter how much money you made, or how your FedEx cup standing is- a win's a win. Not only that, but 1>0.

However, Rickie Fowler is the PGA TOUR rookie of the year not eroupean tour rookie of the year (won by Matteo Manassero), Rory only played in 16 PGA tournaments and Rickie played in 28. Also, out of PGA not EUROPEAN tournaments they played in Rickie earned $2,857,108 and rory earned $2,554,280. Also, out of the PGA not EUROPEAN tournaments, Rickie had 7 top tens and 10 top 25s while rory had 5 top tens and 6 top 25s. $2,857,108 > $2,554,280. 7>5. 10>6. So ya maybe Rickie does deserve his PGA not EUROPEAN tour rookie of the year.

As there is the "tiger Fan Club" it seems there is a "Westwood Hater's Club" (probably conformed by all the people in the Tiggy's Club who can't see any other golfer but him on top).

He makes a good point about McIlroy though: winning. Aren't most Westwood haters against his No 1 rank precisely because he hasn't won a Mayor? No one believes he is the "best golfer in the world" even though statistics based on the PGA rank scoring say otherwise?

Isn't if funny then, when talking about the Rookie of the year, some of those No Mayor = No #1 are basing on statistics and not WINNING to make Fowler the Rookie of the Year instead of Rory?

I really don't care which one is it really, and I don't particularly agree with Westwood this time (I would have chosen Fowler), but he's entitled to an opinion, and I think he has enough good points for making it strong by itself.

Anyway, it is just an opinion, as Ian Poulter, Ricky Barnes, David Duval, Nick Faldo or any other tour golfer or ex-tour member is aloud to have.

Archived