TESTERS WANTED! ×

THIS is why I love PING!

Mr. 82

Yesterday I was browsing the PING website and looking at the different irons they offer, as I was looking at loft degrees for a few different sets that I currently own.  And while I was there I looked at the page for the G irons that are currently in my bag.  I've had them over a year now, and it is what it is, but I've never been really thrilled with these irons, because on off center hits the sound is godawful.  The worst clacking sound you've ever heard.  And I suppose you could spin this by saying that the club is doing a great job in letting you know when you suck, so you can fix it for next time, but it's a hideous sound.  So I noticed a place for reviews of the irons, and I had never done one, so I went ahead and filled out an online review, being honest about hating the clacking sound, and that I'd probably wait 3 or 4 more years, because I just bought them, but I would look for something else.

I didn't think anything of it, because I leave reviews for different products and services all the time, and rarely if ever get a response from any company, except maybe an online reply of thank you or whatever.  Well, within a few hours I got an email from someone at PING saying that they read my review and that they wanted to see if they could get me refitted for my irons and possibly adjust the lie angle, or maybe replace the shaft with another one for free!  I mean, I bought the clubs, and it was my choice to put a stiff shaft in these irons, and I mentioned that I regretted putting in stiff, that I should have put in a regular shaft.  But now PING has offered to change out the shafts of my irons for free!

Honestly, I love their clubs, and would play them no matter what.  But to get an email like this right after a review is impressive, even for PING.  And to offer to fix the problem for free is unbelievable!  If I was hesitating about being loyal to PING before, they just made me a customer for life.  I mean, on a scale of 10, PING is a 10.  Fantastic company, fantastic customer support.

Just thought I'd share.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

That's pretty dang awesome.  It's clear they want their customer base to be satisfied with their products.  The few times I have made inquiries to them, they respond really quick and not just with some standard, generic answer.  I won't go as far as to say I'll only play Ping irons, but it will take something extraordinary to make me change. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I won't go as far as to say I'll only play Ping irons, but it will take something extraordinary to make me change. 

Ping's popularity is a good indicator of their equipment's quality.

Still, I have to wonder about the Ping players using red, orange, and flatter codes.

Ping iron models look very bouncy for players with flatter or more shallow swings.

The listed specs confirm it.

Still, I have to wonder about the Ping players using red, orange, and flatter codes.
Ping iron models look very bouncy for players with flatter or more shallow swings.

Did quick compare on a couple of irons. Standard ping lie is more upright than Mizuno standard. Can’t just use color code, Have to look at the actual measurements as there is no industry standard.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Well, it seems they wanted to offer a full spectrum of lies from the start. One must admit, the color dot system was a marketing genius; as it served both a functional and easily recognizable purpose. I was fitted in 1987 for green dot and just this year that same color code has been confirmed at a Ping Demo and at my iron fitting this summer.  So, it looks like I'll be a Ping green dotter to the end.  The question is whether my PE2's or another set of irons get buried with me. 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

49 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, it seems they wanted to offer a full spectrum of lies from the start. One must admit, the color dot system was a marketing genius; as it served both a functional and easily recognizable purpose. I was fitted in 1987 for green dot and just this year that same color code has been confirmed at a Ping Demo and at my iron fitting this summer.  So, it looks like I'll be a Ping green dotter to the end.  The question is whether my PE2's or another set of irons get buried with me. 🙂

That was what I was looking at actually.  Comparing my G irons to the PE2's.  I was actually contemplating going back to the PE2's before PING absolutely nutted this one out of the park in amazingness.

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I was fitted with the red dot.  I took a long hiatus from the game for a few years back, before my son died, and I was originally a blue dot.  So I was shocked to see my swing change that much.  But the red dot absolutely does work for me.  The main trend I see with it, compared to the blue dot, is that I favor a draw now, and sometimes bordering on hook, where when I played the blue dot I was fading or slicing all of my irons.

I've actually gotten pretty good at adjusting my swing plane on demand, depending on what type of shot shape I need to pull off.  But my go to swing favors the draw.

I don't usually consider myself a brand loyalist, but if I were, PING would be the brand I chose. If results for a fitting are close, I will pick the PING 10 times out of 10. Their customer service is unmatched, and when I order from them, the Specs are usually dead on, and if they aren't, PING will always fix them. It can be tough because I play Silver dot, to get clubs built to that spec from other comapnies. Most other companies will only bend 3° and stock is flatter than PING so they end result is too flat. 

Heck, maybe I am loyal to PING. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

I was fitted with the red dot.  I took a long hiatus from the game for a few years back, before my son died, and I was originally a blue dot.  So I was shocked to see my swing change that much.  But the red dot absolutely does work for me.  The main trend I see with it, compared to the blue dot, is that I favor a draw now, and sometimes bordering on hook, where when I played the blue dot I was fading or slicing all of my irons.

I've actually gotten pretty good at adjusting my swing plane on demand, depending on what type of shot shape I need to pull off.  But my go to swing favors the draw.

Going from blue to red dot definitely suggests going to a somewhat flatter, more draw-producing swing.

My swing was like that.

My problem with Ping irons was that the trailing edge of the soles was too much lower that the leading edge, i.e., too much bounce, and I'd suffer mis-hits because of it. 

This is a great tribute to Ping’s customer service - thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As a combat wounded vet, PING is known for outfitting severely wounded vets with gear for free. They do not advertise or mention all that they do

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

ALL of this is Ping Apologist APPROVED!👍

@Gswag, please keep us updated on your re-fitting for sure. Even as loyal as I am with PING, this just blows me away!!! If there was ever was a 6 or 7 or even 10--star rating to give anybody, it'd be to them...WOW!!!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

So I got home tonight from the day, and waiting for me by my front door were my irons back from PING.  It took all of a week to get them back.  I pulled them out of the box and they look brand new!  I don't know what PING uses to clean their irons but man, these are immaculate.  In fact, if anyone has any advice on how to clean clubs so that they look brand new again please fill me in.  I mean, the grooves on my irons are spotless now.  I use my groove tube to clean my clubs after every round, and I've never been able to get the grooves this clean.  And the bottom groove with the white line looks brand new!

I'll provide another report once I take these out and hit them, but so far I am loving the way this story is playing out.  Couldn't be happier right now.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, Glftips said:

As a combat wounded vet, PING is known for outfitting severely wounded vets with gear for free. They do not advertise or mention all that they do

I learned about this the other day. One of my playing partners came across a story and wasn’t sure if it was true and after searching a little found out it was. I think it’s awesome what they do with this program and that they don’t broadcast it. Class company imo 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived