GolfSpy STUDque

2018 OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW: ODYSSEY EXO PUTTERS

Exo Putters  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which Model of the EXO Putters would YOU play?

• Seven
    • Rossie
    • Indianapolis

This is getting super nit-picky (although on a forum comprised of equipment freaks it might not be too out of line), but the micro hinge face patterns appear to be different on the Indy compared with the other two models reviewed here. The Indy face pattern is wider—8 hinges across the top—compared with 6 in the other two models.

I can't imagine this does anything but it seems odd that they would have a different face pattern for only one of the models.

• Like 1

8 micro hinges is greater than 6 micro hinges

therefore

Indianapolis is better than #7 and Rossie

I think we can call this review pretty much over.

• Like 7

Good stuff so far 🙂 Can't wait to see how you guys get along with these cheese graters on the course!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Good start. For those testers looking to get to a specific number of putts per round please consider GIR vs non GIR. I’d really like to see something like a strokes gained number vs your current putter.

That's a good idea. I've been trying to come up with another way of quantifying this besides PPR.

I found this link for strokes gained putting:

https://www.golfrankingstats.com/strokes-gained-calculator/

This looks like it would give a measure of strokes gained based on current handicap.

• Like 2

I think I need to revise something I said in my stage 1. 

I implied that the crown on the Indy was carbon fiber but I am pretty sure that this is just some kind of light-weight carbon composite material. 

I would assume the weight difference between the composite and a carbon fiber resin is about the same and really this crown detail is more for looks than performance. 

I like the flat finish on the composite material of the EXO though. The Toulon model might use actual carbon fiber because you can see the fiber checkerboard pattern.

I am actually starting to like the all black of the EXO Indy. Both the blade and the crown have a clean look with very little details—no distractions.

• Like 1

Great Stage 1s so far everyone! Loving the pics... and the putters in those pics, too!

• Like 1

Feel free to ask any and all questions to help us continue putting these putters through the ropes everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with hitting putts off center.

I'm very impressed by the stability of the Indy. If your stroke path is true the putt is on line no matter where you hit on the face.

I don't have any prior experience with Odyssey or white hot, but putts actually feel GOOD when struck off center (particularly on the toe).

You can definitely feel the off center hits, but ball contact feels good with good energy transfer. Probably one of the more surprising things about my testinging so far.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 8:29 AM, cnosil said:

Good start. For those testers looking to get to a specific number of putts per round please consider GIR vs non GIR. I’d really like to see something like a strokes gained number vs your current putter.

Alright - For cnosil and the others interested in stats... Here we go.

After some 'getting acquainted time' and initial testing on the practice green, I've played 3 rounds now with the EXO Rossie. I went in and looked at the stats from my last 9 rounds recorded on the 18Birdies app and here are the numbers

EXO Rossie (3 rounds) - Total putts average 30.6 and putts per GIR average 1.33 (admittedly a smaller sample of GIRs than I'd like)

O-Works Fang 2-Ball (9 rounds) - Total putts average 32.2 and putts per GIR average 2.04

The latest round had some of the best putting I've done overall 29 total and 8 one putts (I mentally checked out of one hole early and 3 jacked that one). Just in general though, by the numbers it looks like the Rossie is gaining me about 1.6 strokes per round. The number that really jumps is the putts per GIR where the Rossie comes in at 2/3 of a stroke better. 

For me, I think the biggest positive difference between the two putters is visual. The alignment aid on the Rossie is more distinct and intuitive. The only negative difference for me is the feel of the Rossie on longer putts (30 feet-ish). The Fang feels just a touch heavier and firmer than the Rossie so it is taking me a little longer to adjust to the new putter on those. 

And it's almost as if I heard 75,000 voices all cry out at once "HIT MORE GREENS!!" 

• Like 7

Anyone use theirs to shred a block of cheddar for taco night yet?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Anyone use theirs to shred a block of cheddar for taco night yet?

I find this version of Odyssey putters even better as a cheese grater:

odyssey-works-versa-7-hero-2015_300x300.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, chemclub said:

ball contact feels good with good energy transfer

I can second that thought. This is especially noticeable on the longer putts. Although this is still very early on, my lag putt distance control seems to be improving. Last round played (9) I had 4 lag putts averaging 29' with an average of 2' left.

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

The only negative difference for me is the feel of the Rossie on longer putts (30 feet-ish).

This comment is interesting as this is where I am noticing the most improvement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just another lefty said:

I can second that thought. This is especially noticeable on the longer putts. Although this is still very early on, my lag putt distance control seems to be improving. Last round played (9) I had 4 lag putts averaging 29' with an average of 2' left.

This comment is interesting as this is where I am noticing the most improvement.

The EXO Rossie definitely feels lighter and less distinct at impact than the O-Works Fang. It seems so far like it is more noticeable on longer putts. Since the face/insert combinations are similar, my guess is it is more of a weight thing that will improve with more time/practice/testing. By the numbers the EXO is clearly performing better, and my lag distances haven't been grossly different. Even though I've left a few slightly shorter than expected, my make rate on the remainders is better.

On longer putts, how is everyone's distance control?  That was the one issue I found with the Microhinge is that it felt so soft that I felt like I needed to hammer it to get it to the hole.

Also, do you feel the ball is starting to roll quicker than your current gamer, or other putters that you've tested?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

On longer putts, how is everyone's distance control?  That was the one issue I found with the Microhinge is that it felt so soft that I felt like I needed to hammer it to get it to the hole.

So far, my distance control seems to be better. I'm leaving myself shorter putts from 20' and out. As for hammering the ball, it really seems to be the opposite for me. I've hit several long putts and immediately thought "That's gonna be short" because it does feel somewhat soft, only to see the ball roll out really nice leaving a short putt.

1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

Also, do you feel the ball is starting to roll quicker than your current gamer, or other putters that you've tested? 

It does seem to come off the face a little quicker, not a huge difference but enough to be noticeable. I've been a little bit surprised by how nice the ball comes off the face. It just feels a little bit better than what I've been using recently. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 6:06 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Great stuff so far guys.  Can't wait for the stage 2's to see how they stack up against your current gamers.

I know this completely off-topic of the thread but I can't help but point out to my fellow Iowan and obvious Hawkeye fan that Iowa State football is ranked 16th and Iowa is ranked...

I have to point this out because it is probably the first time ever that ISU ranks above UI in football. Glad there isn't a dislike button on here!

On 11/7/2018 at 6:06 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Great stuff so far guys.  Can't wait for the stage 2's to see how they stack up against your current gamers.

I know this completely off-topic of the thread but I can't help but point out to my fellow Iowan and obvious Hawkeye fan that Iowa State football is ranked 16th and Iowa is ranked...

I have to point this out because it is probably the first time ever that ISU ranks above UI in football. Glad there isn't a dislike button on here!

LOL No dislike needed. Our season seems to be a year of what-ifs. However ISU has found themselves a very good QB and would probably have beaten the Hawks had he been playing in that game.

Back on subject how’s the toe hang on the Indy? I play the mod 60 but have always liked the shaft of the Indy and need about 4 o’clock on the toe hang.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1