GolfSpy STUDque

2018 OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW: ODYSSEY EXO PUTTERS

Exo Putters  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which Model of the EXO Putters would YOU play?

• Seven
    • Rossie
    • Indianapolis

4 hours ago, chemclub said:

I think I will exchange with a super stroke or the evnroll gravity grip when they start selling

Is the gravity grip counterbalanced? Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Is the gravity grip counterbalanced? Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

It has 60 grams of weight running along the underside of the shaft. If can be used to counterbalance a putter, depending on weighting the grip you are replacing.

I have tried it and it is a nice grip. It is thin left to right and fairly thick top to Bottom. I will most likely end up with one on my next putter.

• Like 2

The gravity grip is supposed to give you better feel because that 60g rod of steel on the underside of the grip nestles into your fingers and allows you to feel the putter head and face position better.

I wonder if the concept is the same as the Forward Grips that MGS tested a few years back. Might give them both a try. I wonder how feel would suffer with the gravity grip because you have the weight of the grip plus the 60g rod - some reviews online say the grip is 120 g.

• Like 1

After looking into the Forward grips a little more I think I might go with them first instead of the gravity grip. The Forward grip is the same weight as the current one on the Indy (Lampkin 3Gen) so the putter will swing the same, which is what I want! Plus they are a Canadian company.

Found this article from the MGS main site really interesting.

https://mygolfspy.com/putter-moi-2019-odyssey-exo/

Firstly, it does contradict my own attempts at quantifying the MOI of the Indy back in post #69 based on Cure's numbers. Interesting to see that the 7 ranks higher in terms of MOI than the Indy and the EXOs rank higher than the TM Spider (at least according to Odyssey's numbers).

Of course, I don't know how much a difference of a few hundred g*cm^2 translates to feel and performance, but as someone who has really come around to the benefits of higher MOI, this is definitely a number I expect to see on any putter I will buy in the future. 

We are starting to thaw out in the Midwest so I expect to post some more thoughts on this putter soon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chemclub said:

Found this article from the MGS main site really interesting.

https://mygolfspy.com/putter-moi-2019-odyssey-exo/

Firstly, it does contradict my own attempts at quantifying the MOI of the Indy back in post #69 based on Cure's numbers. Interesting to see that the 7 ranks higher in terms of MOI than the Indy and the EXOs rank higher than the TM Spider (at least according to Odyssey's numbers).

Of course, I don't know how much a difference of a few hundred g*cm^2 translates to feel and performance, but as someone who has really come around to the benefits of higher MOI, this is definitely a number I expect to see on any putter I will buy in the future. 

We are starting to thaw out in the Midwest so I expect to post some more thoughts on this putter soon.

Interesting article. I have a great idea. Call all last year's EXO testers test this years models with the Stroke Lab shafts?  That would be fun!!

• Like 3

I think the point that the article misses or that I missed in my reading is that MOI also impacts speed of rotation which controls squaring face at impact. I tend to miss right with higher MOI putters because they want to stay open too much on the forward swing.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I think the point that the article misses or that I missed in my reading is that MOI also impacts speed of rotation which controls squaring face at impact. I tend to miss right with higher MOI putters because they want to stay open too much on the forward swing.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree. Just looking for clarification.

I would think that the squaring of the face is dominated by the toe hang as opposed to the MOI design of the head. The higher MOI reduces face twisting due to an impact (a la Newton) that twists the head about its center of mass. The MOI design itself doesn't maintain the direction of motion of the head through space.

I could see MOI affecting face squaring because MOI often implies a heavier putter head, so for the same toe hang, it would take more muscles to close it. But that effect would be the same for a high vs low MOI head design of the same mass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Is it MOI or is it the weight and the way it is distributed that causes this? My understanding of MOI is it shouldn't have an impact on rotation, but I am not sure. There may be something that causes this during construction to create higher MOI. 

I could see MOI affecting face squaring because MOI often implies a heavier putter head, so for the same toe hang, it would take more muscles to close it. But that effect would be the same for a high vs low MOI head design of the same mass.

Is it MOI or is it the weight and the way it is distributed that causes this? My understanding of MOI is it shouldn't have an impact on rotation, but I am not sure. There may be something that causes this during construction to create higher MOI. 

I was referring to face squaring. And it doesn’t imply heavier head just distribution of weight. Think figure skater doing a spin, arms in to go faster, arms out to go slower.
  • Like 1

Your figure skater analogy is a good one and seems to make intuitive sense at least.

Shouldn't this issue be addressed in a fitting though?

3 minutes ago, chemclub said:

Your figure skater analogy is a good one and seems to make intuitive sense at least.

Shouldn't this issue be addressed in a fitting though?

Yes,  it should be done as part of a fitting,  You have to return the putter to the correct spot or you can't start your ball online. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, GregB135 said:

Interesting article. I have a great idea. Call all last year's EXO testers test this years models with the Stroke Lab shafts?  That would be fun!!

I'll second that!

Hey guys! Just an FYI, I was NOT able to finish my stage 2 with the dwindling golf season here in Indiana last year, so stay tuned for my stage 2 now that golf courses in my area start to open again!!!! Definitely didn’t want to try and half a$$ a review with minimal experience to go by

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3