TESTERS WANTED! ×

Airports and Travel

GolfSpy_APH

In typical air Canada fashion flight was delayed and missed my connection in Frankfurt (apparently two birds got sucked through the engine so we had to get a new plane) . I will give credit as they gave me some food vouchers. However I am now waiting for another 6 or so hours for my connection after going to 5 different counters to get it all sorted.

Unfortunately this isn't the first and I'm guessing won't be the last time something like this happens in my travels as I've been on more rerouted and cancelled flights then I can count.

Anyone else have similar stories or experiences?

Truth be told although it sounds as though I am complaining I'm really not that put out by it all. I don't need to be into Helsinki till tomorrow for work and although the delay isn't great because it means I'll get there at 1am it gives me plenty of time to run through MGS posts, maybe update my WIMB and watch a few movies while having a few beers and coffee later on... Really doesn't sound that bad does it! Now if only I could get into the lounge?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I just got back from Arizona trip a couple weeks ago and on way back I arrived 2 hours before flight, properly checked my bags in. Yet somehow my golf bag missed my plane. I’m waiting at the bag drop back home and once the conveyor belt stops I’m like what the F. Go in and sure enough it never made the flight. Now I’m thinking how is it possible my main checked bag made it but my golf bag didn’t. They had to have broken a club or something and trying to hide it. I fill out form and go home as next flight was 8 hours from then. Guy calls me with phone from 4 states away tell me he has my bag to deliver and wants to come now so I say ok. He pulls up to the house in non descriptive regular truck and out come my bag. Thank God everything was in it and nothing broken. Just strange it missed the plane but my other bag didn’t.

Glad they made it! Has me thinking of potentially putting together a backup set for travel. That way something goes missing or breaks I won't be as heart broken... Even if it was just driver, irons and putter that didn't go.

Although had they gone missing completely you may have had a chance to get a new set on the airline haha

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

6 minutes ago, Danbrook said:

Glad they made it! Has me thinking of potentially putting together a backup set for travel. That way something goes missing or breaks I won't be as heart broken... Even if it was just driver, irons and putter that didn't go.

Although had they gone missing completely you may have had a chance to get a new set on the airline haha

Hmmmh.  Backup set for travel...Maybe I need to look into that 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Commercial air travel has been a nightmare for quite a few years now.

I remember how easy it was when I was young.

No TSA,  no metal detectors,  none of that stupid stuff,

and they didn't try to cram in as many seats in coach as they do now.

You could travel in a suit, like a respectable human being, and not worry about belt buckles and what not,

and don't get me started about the f-ing shoes.

Also, no pay phones in most airports anymore.

In some airports like LaGuardia, my cellphone doesn't work.

I can't use their stupid wi fi because I use an old-fashioned flip phone.

I swear, the world is out to get me.

(My phone works fine in O'Hare, Chi.)

The worst thing for me, though, is that they're too lenient with carry ons.

If it's bigger than a briefcase, check the damned thing.

I can't say how many times I've wanted to strangle people screwing around with the overhead bins.

I've been able to keep it sown to withering glares,

but I can understand how people flip and go postal.

The wheels are turning aren't they! Haha
I have my backup set all set up other then the travel bag!

Hmmmh.  Backup set for travel...Maybe I need to look into that 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Lol. Do I have stories? Lol. I grew up in the airline industry as my Dad worked for the airlines when I was a kid. I’ve seen the airline slowly disintegrate into essentially being Greyhound with wheels. Nasty service, constant delays, nasty and ignorant selfish people with no intelligence or common courtesy. They lock you into a metal tube with 150-200 strangers of all shapes and sizes and treat you like criminals.

My last trip was to Nicaragua through Miami and I’ll spare you the details of that nightmare. Let’s just say that I played nursemaid to 5 college students who had no street smarts and no clue how to handle themselves when we missed our connection and had to spend an extra night in Miami.

The best way to approach air travel is to expect delays, expect lost luggage, and to expect to be treated like a criminal by TSA and the airline. That way when things go as planned you are actually in a good mood when you arrive at your destination.

I try to avoid flying at all costs. It’s just not worth the aggravation and stress you incur from the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

9 hours ago, Danbrook said:

This is why I always use Shipsticks. Have used them for two trips and will never ever try to lug my clubs through an airport! One of the teachers I work with just told me about her husband getting back from their trip to Myrtle and found his driver shaft snapped in half...though a backup set does sound fun....

8 hours ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Hmmmh.  Backup set for travel...Maybe I need to look into that 😎

Just grab that bag in the corner of your office 🙂 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

23 hours ago, Danbrook said:

In typical air Canada fashion flight was delayed and missed my connection in Frankfurt (apparently two birds got sucked through the engine so we had to get a new plane) . I will give credit as they gave me some food vouchers. However I am now waiting for another 6 or so hours for my connection after going to 5 different counters to get it all sorted.

Unfortunately this isn't the first and I'm guessing won't be the last time something like this happens in my travels as I've been on more rerouted and cancelled flights then I can count.

Anyone else have similar stories or experiences?

Truth be told although it sounds as though I am complaining I'm really not that put out by it all. I don't need to be into Helsinki till tomorrow for work and although the delay isn't great because it means I'll get there at 1am it gives me plenty of time to run through MGS posts, maybe update my WIMB and watch a few movies while having a few beers and coffee later on... Really doesn't sound that bad does it! Now if only I could get into the lounge?

Yup, I do have stories.  A two engine out, RTB, emergency landing on a C5-A at Anderson AB.  A hung main landing gear that would not rotate forward (tires at 90 degrees), that fortunately we were able to get straightened, and verified by tower, using manual procedures.  The remaining 1100 hours in this aircraft were, thank God, basically uneventful.  It's actually a really comfortable ride. In all the air travel I did over a 30 year period while working for Boeing, I had one RTB landing out of Dallas for a nose landing gear that would not retract.  The lady sitting next to me was freaked out, so I told her about my C5A experience and that having a gear stuck in the down position is a really good thing.  But what I had no idea of is whether it was over center and locked. 😀

I have not been on an airplane since retiring and honestly don't think I ever will.  I find air travel to be a PITA and have had plenty.  I'll drive thanks all the same.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

How about sitting in Russia on 9/11/2001 watching the planes smash into the towers?   We were scheduled to get back to the States later in the week, and several people in my delegation had visas that were going to expire before we could leave.  No, not mine... my visa was good for a year.  

Once they started letting planes fly, we took the Delta flight from Moscow to JFK.  However, as we were over Canada, they closed JFK again, so we had to land in Newark.  We got a shuttle ride to JFK (that had opened again), but missed the flight to Salt Lake City.  Although I always had checked baggage, I also carried a roll-a-board with 3 days of clothes just in case.  I learned that early in my travels when my luggage didn't make it to Moscow before I departed for Siberia.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I fly a ton for work and have found that sticking with one airline does wonders for consistency of experience (and frequent flyer miles). I use Delta, since I was living in Minneapolis and it was a hub, there really wasn't much choice. I can still get most anywhere on Delta flying out of Manchester, NH - but there's almost always a connecting flight (Boston is another option - Park n Ride makes it doable). They've done me well. Since the merger with Northwest, I can count on fewer than 2 hands the bad experiences I've had, and on less than one hand the experiences that were specifically Delta's fault ( and when it was their fault, they made good on it). I realize much of that is just plain luck, but I'll take it. Only two occasions when my clubs were either delayed or not sent, but in both cases I got them back quickly and without incident (they gave me a voucher to cover the cost of a rental set). 

I've never really had an issue with desk agents either (Northwest was a completely different story), so again, no real complaints with Delta. I've heard horror stories about American and United, and tried flying Spirit once but they had issues with getting a crew to show up, and they never did level with us - keeping us waiting for about 3 hours before telling us the flight would be cancelled. 

Stuff I've found helpful = if you travel a fair amount, TSA Precheck is the best $85 you'll ever spend. And if you travel a lot (and your airport is equipped) CLEAR is even better money spent (getting through security at Orlando in under 3 minutes? Priceless!). Also - if you travel a lot for business, spending the $$$ for Airline Lounge access is worth it - quiet, space, food and drink and free wifi can wind up being worth the annual dues. Only complaint - Delta used to let you bring up to two guests in for free - now you have to pay $29 per person. My wife ate and drank a lot when we went to Europe last year to make it all worth it!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

15 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I've never really had an issue with desk agents either (Northwest was a completely different story), so again, no real complaints with Delta. I've heard horror stories about American and United, and tried flying Spirit once but they had issues with getting a crew to show up, and they never did level with us - keeping us waiting for about 3 hours before telling us the flight would be cancelled.  

I think everyone would prefer that the gate/desk agents just be honest. Last spring on a return trip from Europe, our connection went through Dulles. Our flight to Cleveland was on again, off again for a variety of "reasons" and people were starting to get pissed, but finally one of the gate agents took it upon herself to tell us what the real issue was - they were trying to scramble and find another crew because delays up the line meant our intended crew was going to time out by the time they got to Washington. It seemed to calm people down because it is always nice to know what was going on. I was too tired to care considering how long I had been awake.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Way too many to mention. After spending five years of my career with 90% travel am digging not having to fly all that much these days. The highlight was Delta flying me JFK to Cleveland and cancelling my flight from Cleveland to Atlanta for a Masters trip. Nothing 14 hours in a car couldn’t solve.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived