TESTERS WANTED! ×

Redesigned Cut Golf Ball

chisag

... Travis at CUT Golf tells me they will be bringing out a new 314 dimple pattern on their CUT golf balls. You can see a picture of them on their website. CUT hopes to have them for sale in the next two weeks which will be just in time for the Holidays. 

https://www.cutgolf.co/collections/golf-balls/products/the-4-piece

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

What a coincidence I just ordered a sampler of the 4 and 3 piece and a couple of sleeves of yellow and orange. 

Travis is super helpful. Hope the balls are as good as their service is. 

:callaway-small: Rogue 9* w. Hzrdus Green 55

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W 15* w. Project X Evenflow Blue 75

:callaway-small: Rogue X 3H 18* w. Project X Evenflow Black 85

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW w. Nippon 950 stiff

:mizuno-small: S18 55* and 60* w. Nippon 950 stiff

:nike-small: Method Matter B2-01

... Unfortunately you will get the old CUT golf ball, which is a pretty good golf ball, especially for the money. 

4 minutes ago, Peterpc2828 said:

How does Cut compare to the Kirkland’s?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... For me at least the Kirkland Peformance+ spins a little too much, so not a good ball in windy conditions for better players that don't need the extra spin. And I think the Kirkland original Tour Performance is one of the best balls I have played. A hair longer than other premium balls although other than that, it performs very similar to others for me. So both Kirkland balls separate themselves from the pack. Ymmv of course. But once you get past the glossy look of the Cut Blue, it performs similar to any premium ball I have played. I was distracted by the "cheap" look but shot a 66 using one, tying my carer low score, so obviously looks can be deceiving. If the performance of the revised ball is similar or better and it looks like other non glossy premium balls, I have to think they are gonna sell a ton of them. 

... For me at least the Kirkland Peformance+ spins a little too much, so not a good ball in windy conditions for better players that don't need the extra spin. And I think the Kirkland original Tour Performance is one of the best balls I have played. A hair longer than other premium balls although other than that, it performs very similar to others for me. So both Kirkland balls separate themselves from the pack. Ymmv of course. But once you get past the glossy look of the Cut Blue, it performs similar to any premium ball I have played. I was distracted by the "cheap" look but shot a 66 using one, tying my carer low score, so obviously looks can be deceiving. If the performance of the revised ball is similar or better and it looks like other non glossy premium balls, I have to think they are gonna sell a ton of them. 

Thanks Chisag, I am certainly going to give the new version a try, appreciate all the detail in your response!

What would suck me in for a try, were I still able to play, is a modern ball with the classic 336 dimple pattern that just about everybody used to use in the 1960s.

I loved and miss that look, although I'm sure there's some legit aerodynamic purpose for its disappearance.

Four piece cut with 314 dimples...can I assume this would give my Vice Pro+ a run for the money?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...

... Nothing yet. Hoping they come out before Christmas. I have stated the Kirkland Performance+ just spins too much for me, about the only ball I have played with that problem. 

... And speaking of Kirklands, I just did a comparison thru a magnifying glass of the Snell Black and Kirkland Tour Performance which is one of my favorite balls. Granted the Kirkland is a 4 piece ball and the Snell Black is a 3 piece ball but I was surprised that they dimple pattern "seemed" to be identical. I say "seemed" because even thought to the naked eye I can find no difference, OEMs do a ton of research and a few mm difference can change the ball flight. I have a feeling the covers are identical so Costco may have been able to combine the Snell cover and someone else's core and layers, which is pretty interesting since Dean Snell said this in his MGS interview:

Snell isn’t giving the full story on how the Kirkland ball came to be, but he does leave plenty of clues.

“In the factory, there’s a big learning curve,” says Snell. “There’s training they go through in the factory. The processing is more difficult; the tooling is expensive to do – $300,000 to $400,000 to tool it up. So if you’ve got cores and mantles that are sitting around and you want to sell them for half the price, or you’re going to scrap them and get nothing? That’s great; you can do that.

From that one can infer a few things. Nassau’s process for making cast urethane golf balls is expensive and involved, so one doesn’t simply turn the machines off and send your highly trained people home. You want to keep machines running and your people productive. And if you have extra stuff, well, that’s where Costco comes in.

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Nothing yet. Hoping they come out before Christmas. I have stated the Kirkland Performance+ just spins too much for me, about the only ball I have played with that problem. 

... And speaking of Kirklands, I just did a comparison thru a magnifying glass of the Snell Black and Kirkland Tour Performance which is one of my favorite balls. Granted the Kirkland is a 4 piece ball and the Snell Black is a 3 piece ball but I was surprised that they dimple pattern "seemed" to be identical. I say "seemed" because even thought to the naked eye I can find no difference, OEMs do a ton of research and a few mm difference can change the ball flight. I have a feeling the covers are identical so Costco may have been able to combine the Snell cover and someone else's core and layers, which is pretty interesting since Dean Snell said this in his MGS interview:

Snell isn’t giving the full story on how the Kirkland ball came to be, but he does leave plenty of clues.

“In the factory, there’s a big learning curve,” says Snell. “There’s training they go through in the factory. The processing is more difficult; the tooling is expensive to do – $300,000 to $400,000 to tool it up. So if you’ve got cores and mantles that are sitting around and you want to sell them for half the price, or you’re going to scrap them and get nothing? That’s great; you can do that.

From that one can infer a few things. Nassau’s process for making cast urethane golf balls is expensive and involved, so one doesn’t simply turn the machines off and send your highly trained people home. You want to keep machines running and your people productive. And if you have extra stuff, well, that’s where Costco comes in.

Played the K-Sig P+ today and you might be on to something, in the wind today 10-15mph it was losing good 30 yards from head winds. But I'm not seeing the zip back on wedges it still takes a hop and rolls out a little bit on chips for me (50 degree) I have no issues with this ball normally since there are rarely weather in AZ. But today I was seeing some huge performance drops and left and right turns with windy condition. Do you recommend snell 3 piece for a 97mph driver swing? 2300 spin on driver normally

... I have a 100mph swing and about the same spin numbers and the Snell Black works well for me. The only 3 premium urethane balls I have found that play differently for me than all the others are the TP5x/Kirkland Tour Signature. Both really good wind balls and are a little longer off the tee and with my long irons. And as stated the Kirkland Performance+  spins more with mid/short irons and off the tee, although around the green they produce the same spin as other balls. Ymmv. 

... I really like the Snell Black but also like the CUT Blue, Vice Pro+, Z Star, Chrome Soft-X and Prov1x. Although right now the Snell's are on sale for $25 a dozen on 2 or more and free shipping which is a helluva deal when you use BLACKFRIDAY18 at checkout.

Edited by chisag

Nice, thanks for the info. What would you say is better in wind and check up around greens? Cut blue or Snell Black, or vice pro+? I've been trying out all of those balls and they all seem pretty similar to me, vice pro+ being a little harder for putting, but I don't have many experiences with them in the wind. Had the first experience today with kirkland in the wind, it was an eye opener.

... We play in the wind quite a bit here in Chicago and  I haven't noticed any difference in performance with Snell Black, Vice Pro+ and CUT Blue, either in the wind or around the green. As shallow as it sounds, I just don't like the shiny cover on the CUT balls, which is why I was really looking forward to their new release. Of course the shiny cover doesn't effect performance, just aesthetics. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

... For those interested, Travis at CUT tells me the new dimple pattern will begin shipping the week of December the 10th! So you can order now and get the NEW ball when they ship next week. 

...  post deleted

Edited by chisag

UPDATE

... Let me start off by saying I love supporting the little guys. The website shows the new dimple pattern balls are available and Travis promised me the new dimple pattern would be shipping with all new orders. I have 12 dozen balls in the basement so I really didn't need any more golf balls but I wanted to get my hands on some to compare before Christmas. The new dimple ball is supposed to provide better wind performance and it does not have as shiny a cover, but still a little brighter than say a ProV1. 

... Like I said, I enjoy supporting the little guys. Especially when it is such a good deal. But after ordering the new dimple CUT Blue balls,  I received the OLD dimple pattern balls. This was really very disappointing. When letting Travis know, he said I could ship back the balls and get a refund or exchange them for the new balls when they arrive. I am not going thru the hassle and expense of driving to the PO and paying another $10 for return shipping on a $35 order with my $10 original shipping charges, so I will just give them away to family and friends and to say the least I was not pleased. Especially trying to promote CUT to forum members that may have also ordered the new CUT balls on my recommendation. 

... So I let Travis know I could no longer support CUT Golf. And in a move probably only a small company could make, I received a call from Dennis Chang the COO of CUT Golf. It was immediately apparent he really cares about his customers and was very concerned about the situation. He understands every customer is important for a young company and was very apologetic. He let me know the new CUT balls are stuck in port and they are just as frustrated as I am. He is going to send me the new balls as soon as they arrive but he does not have a time table. He assured me if anyone ordered from CUT expecting the new balls these last few days after I told them they are shipping but received the old stock, CUT will take care of them. 

... If you are interested in the new CUT Golf balls, I would call to make sure you are not going to receive the old stock balls. Dennis told me they are working on updating their website so it more accurately reflects the products they are shipping. And if you are looking for a real killer deal on the old stock of CUT Golf balls enter code LOOKGOOD30 for a 30% discount. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, Sen said:

Is that suppose to be better in the wind? For which covers? Urethane?

... Answering here as I was asked about the new Cut Blue balls again. I received the first batch and was pretty disappointed. I know these new balls were held up and perhaps Cut rushed them out without checking QC. But mine were unplayable. Some worse than others but I will share a few pictures of the worst ones. I really like the CEO and the company too, so I hope Cut gets this issue sorted out because I had no issues with the old version as far as QC. But I would call to make sure QC has been addressed before ordering any of the new balls. 

cut.jpg.5a3a0409e05f719fd1b736b3a31e54e1.jpg

cut1.jpg.d3c6c7c0820c492db325dfebebcbb535.jpg

cut2.jpg.064c07d4a668c783a458361351e63de4.jpg

21 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Answering here as I was asked about the new Cut Blue balls again. I received the first batch and was pretty disappointed. I know these new balls were held up and perhaps Cut rushed them out without checking QC. But mine were unplayable. Some worse than others but I will share a few pictures of the worst ones. I really like the CEO and the company too, so I hope Cut gets this issue sorted out because I had no issues with the old version as far as QC. But I would call to make sure QC has been addressed before ordering any of the new balls. 

That's unfortunate! That looks like something I'd expect from Walmart Nitros. I hope they get these QC issues sorted out because the prior generation Blue was a great ball. If they don't get this sorted out, they'll lose a good share of their client base. Bad reviews can really hurt a company.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... Yup, I was torn between posting here or just ignoring it because I know they rushed me the balls to arrive before I left for Phoenix. I am hoping it is a one time thing because I too liked the performance of the previous Cut Blue generation. These have a slightly duller looking cover so CUT addressed that, but obviously I don't know how they perform in the wind. I was gonna write a review but I don't wanna trash Cut if this was an anomaly and hope they get it together. Perhaps they already have! 

11 hours ago, chisag said:

Those don't look good at all.  I'm surprised they would let those out of the shipping door.  Perhaps I missed it in earlier discussion, but what is the connection between Cut, Kirkland and Snell? I've not played any of these - haven't even found any.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Those don't look good at all.  I'm surprised they would let those out of the shipping door.  Perhaps I missed it in earlier discussion, but what is the connection between Cut, Kirkland and Snell? I've not played any of these - haven't even found any.  

No connection to the companies themselves but Cut, Snell, and Vice are all saying they offer a direct to consumer high performance Tour level golf ball at 1/2 the price of the big boys. They are all small companies that don't pay the middlemen so they can provide lower prices to the consumer. Most of them offer a 3 and 4 piece urethane offering like Titleist PV1 series and a 2 and 3 piece surlyn ball. 

Kirkland is a little different, they are Costco's brand that turned out to be a high performance golf ball for really cheap. It wasn't marketed as anything special, and Costco certainly didn't expect them to take off like they did. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

...  I would add that while there is speculation as to exactly where the Kirkland and Cut ball design comes from and are they left over stock, Snell separates themselves from most others because Dean Snell was the designer of balls from the ProV1 to Taylor Made offerings and of course his current Snell Black and Red golf balls. He has certainly done his own R&D and you know exactly what you are getting from Snell, a premium ball Dean feels competes or even out performs all other balls on the market. Of course in the end, this may not make any difference to a given golfer depending on their skill level, but I like supporting Snell because he has put in the work for many years now and is not just ordering balls from a catalog or using left over stock and stamping his name on them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows if the quality issue has been resolved.  Thinking about giving the Greys a try.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on the production errors?

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

On 1/16/2019 at 11:48 AM, chisag said:

...  I would add that while there is speculation as to exactly where the Kirkland and Cut ball design comes from and are they left over stock, Snell separates themselves from most others because Dean Snell was the designer of balls from the ProV1 to Taylor Made offerings and of course his current Snell Black and Red golf balls. He has certainly done his own R&D and you know exactly what you are getting from Snell, a premium ball Dean feels competes or even out performs all other balls on the market. Of course in the end, this may not make any difference to a given golfer depending on their skill level, but I like supporting Snell because he has put in the work for many years now and is not just ordering balls from a catalog or using left over stock and stamping his name on them. 

This. I'd never buy golf balls from Cut or Vice because they are simply marketing and logistics companies - not golf companies. 

What rubs me the wrong way about companies like them is they act like a golf company and craft their words carefully to make is sound like they have something to do with the design of their respective golf balls when in reality all they are doing is slapping their name on it.