Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Question #1

I would spend the first day at home with my family and cook a nice steak that night.  The second day I would play golf with my buddies and sit out on the balcony of one of their condos (two live on golf courses), drink scotch, smoke cigars, order a pizza and fight over sports and politics.  (I do this with them four or five times a year - some of my favorite nights.) 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 11/9/2018 at 2:36 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

If your job gave you a surprise three day paid break to rest and recuperate, what would you do with those three days?

I guess I can't enter whatever this is about.

I don't have a job.  There is no 3 surprise days off.  I can take 3 days and do anything I want, anytime.  I can take 5 days if I want...   if Martha lets me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Do you mean "What would you do after the heart attack you had after your employer gave you a surprise three day paid vacation"?

Depends on the weather, if it's nice I would definitely go play a round. I would probably spend the rest of the time relaxing at home with the wife and fur babies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 months later...

Spend the three days at my in-laws place in Northern MI.  Golf in the mornings, booze cruise around the lake on the boat in the afternoons, and enjoy a cigar around a bonfire in the evenings.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

3 days off??? Golf as much as I can and get some much needed work done around the house. Pretty much like any other days off. Give me a week or more and I'm off to Louisiana to visit family and play courses down there.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 11/9/2018 at 11:35 AM, DaveP043 said:

First of all, I would not rest, I'd do that when I went back to work.  I'd go play golf.  I might drive somewhere to play, Pinehurst is only 6 hours.  So if I was told this early in the day, I could drive down after work, play for 3 days, and drive back home.  And THEN I would rest.

Next time you are down in Pinehurst, you have to play Tobacco Road and Dormie Club!  Both are great courses!!!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

25 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Next time you are down in Pinehurst, you have to play Tobacco Road and Dormie Club!  Both are great courses!!!

You won't find any member on the board that knows more about pinehurst courses than Dave.  He has a second home down there and is a wealth of information on all things Pinehurst.

But you are correct, those are both great courses.  Tobacco Road is our must play course on the way out each trip.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

42 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

As @Golfspy_CG2 says, I've been going to Pinehurst for about 12 years, a couple of times every year.  Those are two of my favorite courses, along with Mid Pines and Pine Needles, and the two where I am a member, Talamore and Mid South.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As @Golfspy_CG2 says, I've been going to Pinehurst for about 12 years, a couple of times every year.  Those are two of my favorite courses, along with Mid Pines and Pine Needles, and the two where I am a member, Talamore and Mid South.  

Same!!!  I've been going for close to 20 years now.  More people need to go there, I don't think most people know how many GREAT courses there are in such a small area!  We always stay in the Talamore condo's.  I am a fan of the new Talamore layout/greens.  I am thinking about maybe purchasing a place down there and joining Pinehurst Country Club.  They have some good deals but the condo fees are very expensive.

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

47 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Same!!!  I've been going for close to 20 years now.  More people need to go there, I don't think most people know how many GREAT courses there are in such a small area!  We always stay in the Talamore condo's.  I am a fan of the new Talamore layout/greens.  I am thinking about maybe purchasing a place down there and joining Pinehurst Country Club.  They have some good deals but the condo fees are very expensive.

We looked at some of the Pinehurst condos around courses 3 and 5, thought they were much smaller than we wanted.  Our place at Talamore is close to 1400 square feet,.  On the other hand, the PH condos were less expensive 10 years ago than the one we bought at Talamore.  I don't know anything about whether Pinehurst will manage rental of condos for golf packages, but the folks at Talamore do a really good job.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

We looked at some of the Pinehurst condos around courses 3 and 5, thought they were much smaller than we wanted.  Our place at Talamore is close to 1400 square feet,.  On the other hand, the PH condos were less expensive 10 years ago than the one we bought at Talamore.  I don't know anything about whether Pinehurst will manage rental of condos for golf packages, but the folks at Talamore do a really good job.  

I've probably stayed in your place.  haha  I would love to pick your brain on this if possible.

9 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I've probably stayed in your place.  haha  I would love to pick your brain on this if possible.

Any time, probably a PM is best.  no need to bore the rest of the group

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Any time, probably a PM is best.  no need to bore the rest of the group

Maybe the rest of the group.   But me, I love listening and hearing any and all Pinehurst talk...LOL  But that's how I am about all televised golf.  One day SWMBO saw I was watching a Euro Tour event.  She said, i didn't think you watched the European golf.   I replied, I would watch the Jr. Club Championship from a muni in Iowa if it was televised..😄

I'll be back down there the middle of April.  

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Maybe the rest of the group.   But me, I love listening and hearing any and all Pinehurst talk...LOL  But that's how I am about all televised golf.  One day SWMBO saw I was watching a Euro Tour event.  She said, i didn't think you watched the European golf.   I replied, I would watch the Jr. Club Championship from a muni in Iowa if it was televised..😄

I'll be back down there the middle of April.  

Have fun, its a special place.  

I figured the discussion about buying and owning a rental condo in the area wasn't something that everyone needs to see.  Who cares about management fees, condo associations, replacing dishwashers, and all the  rest?  We get enough of that with our primary homes, at least I do.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

LOL..exactly right.   

But yeah it is a special place for sure.  Have made probably over a dozen trips or so over the past 20 years, and have never had a bad time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, THEZIPR23 said:

Quick drive to Monterey, Play Poppy, Pasatiempo and Blackhorse/Bayonet. And cruise 17 mile drive. 

Could have went the rest of the year without hearing about Fort Ord. In the early 70's had an older friend retired Air Force  officer  took us too Ord every Monday for at least a few years. Memory is bad but we played all day 54 holes and I think   started on Blackhorse because Bayonet had a reputation for having the US open qualifying before and was considered a      track, and everyone wanted to try it. However our first round on Blackhorse then Bayonet had thinned out and we would hit that then back Blackhorse. I think golf was around 10 bucks (?) for the day however we did buy "SIR" gas and chow. Long day but worth it.                                    sorry about the mistakes,wife went to bed and I can't fix  them.

"If your job gave you a surprise three day paid break to rest and recuperate, what would you do with those three days?"

I would play 36 holes on both of the first 2 days, then go fishing on the third day.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow
16 hours ago, Walkin said:

Could have went the rest of the year without hearing about Fort Ord. In the early 70's had an older friend retired Air Force  officer  took us too Ord every Monday for at least a few years. Memory is bad but we played all day 54 holes and I think   started on Blackhorse because Bayonet had a reputation for having the US open qualifying before and was considered a      track, and everyone wanted to try it. However our first round on Blackhorse then Bayonet had thinned out and we would hit that then back Blackhorse. I think golf was around 10 bucks (?) for the day however we did buy "SIR" gas and chow. Long day but worth it.                                    sorry about the mistakes,wife went to bed and I can't fix  them.

2 of the hardest courses I have played. Much better since they restructured them 10+ years ago but still very difficult. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 2 weeks later...

Easy decision.  I'd pack up the car and head to Southern Utah and Nevada for a whirlwind golf trip.  I love desert golfing and would hit Coral Canyon (UT), Conestoga (NV), and Wolf Creek (NV).

:taylormade-small: M1; 10.5; Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff

:cleveland-small: CG Gold 4-PW

:odyssey-small: White Hot Pro #9 35"

• 1 month later...

3 day trip to Vegas with my wife and try to talk a buddy and his wife into joining us.

BIG dinners every night! A show or two. 

Golf in the morning. Poker in the afternoon.

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

• 1 month later...

I am afraid that I would say thank you sir, I really needed the rest and proceed to find three highly rated golf courses within a few hours and go out and play! I'm thinking, The Home Course, Salish Cliffs and Gamble Sands. My mind would be at ease.

a. Titleist 718 CB Irons 3-PW AMT TOUR WHITE x100 (x-stiff, standard loft and lie)

b. Taylormade M3 440 HZRDUS YELLOW (9.5*/x-stiff)

c. Right Handed

d. Marysville, WA

e. 18 handicap