TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing weight

Wedgie

If you play irons with a swing weight of D2 and 85 gram shafts would you be more prone to swing them faster than irons with the same swing weight but a heavier shaft?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm not a fitter, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but in my head it makes sense that you would generally swing an overall heavier object slower than and overall lighter object.

Since we are probably only talking about a max of 40-50 grams I'm not sure that would make a huge difference in overall swing speed though.  Better to find the proper weight that lets you make center of the face contact.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I seriously stayed at a holiday inn express last night and woke up still sucking at golf. Regardless I swing my D6 driver 3 MPH faster than any other driver I’ve tried. It has a 42 gram shaft. Maybe I answered my own question but does club weight matter more than swing weight in terms of swing speed?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I seriously stayed at a holiday inn express last night and woke up still sucking at golf. Regardless I swing my D6 driver 3 MPH faster than any other driver I’ve tried. It has a 42 gram shaft. Maybe I answered my own question but does club weight matter more than swing weight in terms of swing speed?

I believe swing weight matters - think back to high school days and learning about levers and pulleys and such. You’re trying to move a weight on the end of a pole as fast and as accurately as possible. Bit the speed and accuracy (ball strike) matter.

So while in theory you may be able to swing the club with the lighter swing weight faster the ability to strike the ball solidly is a significant factor. Through fittings I’ve found that I perform better with lighter shafts in my irons but a heavier shaft (relative to my driver SS) in driver. There’s no real difference in SS between a driver shaft at 50 grams and one at 70 for me but the little extra rate reduces spin which in turn adds distance and accuracy.

You should go get fit because different people will see different results.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Swing weight affects everyone differently. It's about finding the right swing weight that maximizes your speed while allowing you control the path and face.

A heavier swing weight can absolutely make someone swing faster if the feel it provides allows the golfer to sequence better, thus improving the efficiency of the swing.

I agree on all accounts that swing weight matters a lot.  Put me in a lighter swing weight with irons and I'm all over the map.  Bump it up to D5-D6 and my swing smooths out and I hit the center of the face.

The original question is interesting though, what's the swing difference (in consistency and club speed) with an 85g shaft at D5 vs a 125g shaft at D5?  

I recently acquired a set of differing weights for my driver and have done some experimenting. I think there is something to it honestly.

The stock weight that came from the factory was 7g. The stock Alta shaft I had originally weighed exactly the same as my current Aldila Extortion when compared side-by-side with grip & adaptor. I started with the standard weight and was "OK" but after a ton of playing around, I settled on the 9g. I can certainly tell the difference between weights especially at either end of the spectrum (3g up to 13g). 3 felt vey light and my swing seemed out of control. 13 was indeed heavier feeling and my swing felt "sluggish". The 9g seems to present the best results for me with this shaft & head. I wish irons had this option, though maybe some do now with that little mystery screw on the toe...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I recently acquired a set of differing weights for my driver and have done some experimenting. I think there is something to it honestly.

The stock weight that came from the factory was 7g. The stock Alta shaft I had originally weighed exactly the same as my current Aldila Extortion when compared side-by-side with grip & adaptor. I started with the standard weight and was "OK" but after a ton of playing around, I settled on the 9g. I can certainly tell the difference between weights especially at either end of the spectrum (3g up to 13g). 3 felt vey light and my swing seemed out of control. 13 was indeed heavier feeling and my swing felt "sluggish". The 9g seems to present the best results for me with this shaft & head. I wish irons had this option, though maybe some do now with that little mystery screw on the toe...

It's easy to increase swing weight in irons, harder to decrease it.  To increase just add lead tape to the sole or cavity until you hit where you like.  Then you can either leave it there, or take the tape off and weigh it.  Then put in matching tip weights or lead power.

Decreasing swing weight is harder on the iron head end as you have to somehow remove weight.  Or you can use heavier grips as a counterbalance to make it lighter.

4 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

It's easy to increase swing weight in irons, harder to decrease it.  To increase just add lead tape to the sole or cavity until you hit where you like.  Then you can either leave it there, or take the tape off and weigh it.  Then put in matching tip weights or lead power.

Decreasing swing weight is harder on the iron head end as you have to somehow remove weight.  Or you can use heavier grips as a counterbalance to make it lighter.

good stuff...two things I've heard about before, but never really put them together. It doing either or both of these more common than I am aware of?

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

good stuff...two things I've heard about before, but never really put them together. It doing either or both of these more common than I am aware of?

All three methods of adding weight are pretty common, just have different pluses and minus's.

lead tape - easiest but visible

tungsten powder - don't have to remove heads (but do need to remove grips), but can be messy and you need to glue and cork a plug to keep the powder in

tip weight - cleanest solution but you have to remove the heads which usually means a new ferrule

Archived