Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What do you use to clean your clubs?

Mr. 82

After getting my irons back from PING and seeing them cleaned to basically mint condition, and my abject failure of achieving this on my own, what can one do to achieve what PING did in cleaning my clubs to mint condition perfection?

I looked online and saw where there were a lot of suggestions for a toothbrush with warm dishwasher detergent soapy water to clean.

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

That's all I do really. One club at a time in the sink with hot soapy water and a small old toothbrush that has a pick at the end. I simply soak each club for a minute or so and then scrub the snot out of it and dry off with paper towels. I have to do this "after hours" since the War Department freaks a bit cuz I do this in the kitchen sink. Clubs come out looking pretty darn good every time. I've also gotten into the habit of carrying 2 towels hanging on my bag. One I soak with water before the round and one I keep dry to wipe things off with. I try to clean each club off after each shot before is goes back into the bag-especially wedges. This keeps the sink-time down a bit, though I usually do full cleanings between every round.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

28 minutes ago, GSwag said:

After getting my irons back from PING and seeing them cleaned to basically mint condition, and my abject failure of achieving this on my own, what can one do to achieve what PING did in cleaning my clubs to mint condition perfection?

I looked online and saw where there were a lot of suggestions for a toothbrush with warm dishwasher detergent soapy water to clean.

What am I missing?

Also I bet PING has cool industrial buffing tools they used to really detail those. I 'd love to see some pics! Also please let us know how they swing & hit now with the new shafts! I hope that has all worked out and again, BIG "ups" to PING for totally taking care of you, and super quick too by all accounts!👍

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

I don't user anything special. Just water and a towel is generally all that's required IMO. During a round I keep a wet towel handy and usually clean the face before returning it to my bag. I also have a soft wire brush hanging on my bag to clean the grooves when needed. KISS. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

A toothbrush and Dawn soap for me

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Water with dish soap and a cleaning brush, rinse and dry immediately 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I always use eyeglass cleaner, and a brush. There seems to be something in the eyeglass cleaner that really breaks down the dirt particles. 

Also, big props to PING for taking care of you. PING really is a top shelf company. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

During the season I just use dishwasher soap with a hard nylon bristle brush. The grips are cleaned with the same solution

Off season - which is now for us - the irons get cleaned with Flintz which is a metal cleaner I use on stainless. I have a grinder on my work bench so I'm getting a buffing wheel to polish with the Flintz which should result in a more highly polished result.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I know it isn't the most sanitary way but I use spit, a wire brush, and a towel during the season.  At the end of the season the clubs are cleaned thoroughly with soap and water with a toothbrush then dried completely and put away.  I am hoping to get more sim time this winter but until I get my online classes completed that will have to wait.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Liquid Car wash with wax and a soft bristle tooth brush. Soak for 20 minutes to allow the soap to clean and the wax to bound. Wipe dry with a microfiber towel. Spray on liquid quick wash/wax works well for quick cleaning/polishing.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Also I bet PING has cool industrial buffing tools they used to really detail those. I 'd love to see some pics! Also please let us know how they swing & hit now with the new shafts! I hope that has all worked out and again, BIG "ups" to PING for totally taking care of you, and super quick too by all accounts!
What an incredible difference the shaft makes. I was striking these so freaking good. I am in love again!
IMG_2362.JPGIMG_2363.JPGIMG_2364.JPGIMG_2365.JPGIMG_2366.JPG

3 minutes ago, GSwag said:

What an incredible difference the shaft makes. I was striking these so freaking good. I am in love again! emoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.png
IMG_2362.JPGIMG_2363.JPGIMG_2364.JPGIMG_2365.JPGIMG_2366.JPG

OUTSTANDING!!!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

During the round I use a frogger brush, towel and some spit if I need it after every shot.

Before or after a round I use the automatic cleaner on my courses driving range.  Think of an old school shoe polisher like they used to have in hotels, It's to rotating barrel brushes over a big tank of soapy water.  One side is more coarse for irons, one side softer for woods.  

If you want an easy DIY for a club cleaning brush use this.  I made one to clean the grout in the shower and it works awesome on that, also found it works great on irons

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/homemade-scrub-brush-drill-cleaning-attachment/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

A fine brush and dawn dish soap. I clean mine frequently though since I use them a lot, seems to keep crusty stuff from forming...

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Dish soap with warm water, toothbrush and microfiber towel for after round clean up. I also wipe down my clubs after every shot with a wet and dry towel so not much cleaning to do after the round.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Liquid Car wash with wax and a soft bristle tooth brush. Soak for 20 minutes to allow the soap to clean and the wax to bound. Wipe dry with a microfiber towel. Spray on liquid quick wash/wax works well for quick cleaning/polishing.

Never heard that process before, may try it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I generally don’t have to spend any time cleaning my clubs because I use a wet towel and even a frogger brush during my rounds/range sessions. I wipe my grips with a towel that’s soaked with warm water and a bit of dish soap. That’s it. Maybe twice a summer they get in the sink with warm water and a little soap, but not often.
Keep them clean as I go and there’s no need to spend time cleaning later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Never heard that process before, may try it.

I admit it’s a little overkill to use the McGuire’s Liquid Car Wash and Wax but there is a bit of method to my madness. First of all I’m definitely not made of money. I paid right at $1000 for my irons so I try to take very good care of them. I hope to get 10 good years of use before I’ll succumb to new technology and shiny new toys. Secondly clean grooves spin the ball much much better than dirty rusty ones. Thirdly (is that a word?) I use the cleaning time as a chance to reflect on my round, think about fundamentals and course management successes and failures of the day. Last and most important, I believe in the liberating power of setting the conditions for positive karma. When I take care of the people and things I’ve been blessed with they tend to take care of me as well.

Oh by the way I am a little coco for Cocoa Puffs

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I admit it’s a little overkill to use the McGuire’s Liquid Car Wash and Wax but there is a bit of method to my madness. First of all I’m definitely not made of money. I paid right at $1000 for my irons so I try to take very good care of them. I hope to get 10 good years of use before I’ll succumb to new technology and shiny new toys. Secondly clean grooves spin the ball much much better than dirty rusty ones. Thirdly (is that a word?) I use the cleaning time as a chance to reflect on my round, think about fundamentals and course management successes and failures of the day. Last and most important, I believe in the liberating power of setting the conditions for positive karma. When I take care of the people and things I’ve been blessed with they tend to take care of me as well.

Oh by the way I am a little coco for Cocoa Puffs

Hey, I can get on board with that. During my baseball days, a big part of my pre-start routine was to give my cleats a real nice cleaning the night before. I actually made it a point to only do it the night before and not a day or more early. I used that time to mentally prepare for the game the next day and visualize my approach. Like you, I felt there was something to wiping the slate clean to a cosmic neutral.

For golf, I'm a little different. When I've got a big round coming up, I clean my irons up fresh but make it a point to knock the shine off before the round through a range session (preferably a few days prior). Anytime I take shiny clubs to a round, I spray it everywhere.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Like Studque I like to clean and polish the night before. Theres a great feeling when you pull out a pristine club the next day in the first few holes.

A bit like when your car seems to drive better straight after a wash'n'wax my clubs seem to perform better when lovingly cleaned (for a few holes anyway)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The flip side of these last few posts: there are times the clubs get a full scrubbing after an awful round, not to reward them, but to wash all that terrible play off.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

The flip side of these last few posts: there are times the clubs get a full scrubbing after an awful round, not to reward them, but to wash all that terrible play off.

Not sure if I shared this story before......

After an incredibly terrible round where I just could not seem to do anything right at all and just about shot my all time high I came home, stepped right in the shower with all my golf clothes still on to include my shoes and yes bag on my back. My objective was to wash all the hootie off everything I touched that day.

Not sure I’ve had a crazier moment but then again does crazy really recognize crazy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 11/13/2018 at 11:00 PM, SteddyGolf said:

Not sure if I shared this story before......

After an incredibly terrible round where I just could not seem to do anything right at all and just about shot my all time high I came home, stepped right in the shower with all my golf clothes still on to include my shoes and yes bag on my back. My objective was to wash all the hootie off everything I touched that day.

Not sure I’ve had a crazier moment but then again does crazy really recognize crazy emoji848.png

Holy smokes! How big was that shower?

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Holy smokes! How big was that shower?

Apparently big enough. Just be glad he wasn’t in a cart that Combe problematic

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

As a sort of update - I have a groove tube clipped to my bag.  When I filled it up the other day I added a few drops of Dawn to it.  Never tried using it with a soapy output, but man I'll tell you what - I sort of like it, and it seems to work really well.

Clean freak here, borderline OCD.  I hate having dirty looking irons and absolutely know they play better clean.  I use a nylon bristle scrub brush and a very light amount of Comet with warm water on my PE2's.  Since these do not have a bright chrome finish, the mild abrasive works great.  On my driver and chrome finish clubs, I've use 409.

I've thought about sending my PE2's back to PING for their restoration process.  Anyone know if they re-paint the number and dot color?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived