Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Favorite Putting Aid - Improved Stroke

txgolfjunkie

What's your favorite putting training aid to help with a consistent stroke?

I've seen a bunch of Euro pros using the Visio Mi Putting boards with a couple of gates to groove a consistent stroke. Anyone on this board used it and have any feedback? This winter I'd like to really focus on a consistent stroke (which I know will take a serious amount of on-going effort). My putting isn't my strongest aspect, but I'd like to think I miss-read a putt versus a good read with a bad stroke...that and I'd like to stop buying a new putter every 6-10 weeks. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I’m lucky enough to work at home most of the time. I have a 4” box sitting at the end of the hallway just outside my office (spare bedroom). While I’m on calls I putt to the box.

A 12ft run max. After a few putts you know the break and your brain knows how to line things up based on the surroundings. What your brain doesn’t know is how to make a repeatable stroke.

So I putt a single ball, pick it up, do it again. You can get a lot of putts in on a half hour call . An hour call is too much, the brain gets tired of trying to listen and make a good stroke.

It’s certainly helped my putting. The number of three putts is way down, almost disappeared in fact. I’m scaring the hole most of the time, lip outs are much more common now.

My tools, a simple 4” box and time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You probably already have a fairly consistent stroke.  The visio putting mats are popular on all tours and I think is probably a good tool for working on face angle.    That said,  face angle is probably more important that path when it comes to putting.   The face angle is what controls where the ball goes. Face angles is roughly 85% and the path is about 15%. 

Here is some more numbers on how important starting the ball online is:   if you have a 1 degree of error in your stroke,  you will miss a straight 10 foot putt,  at 20 ft,  that accuracy is .5 degrees.  

This is where I focus most of my attention.  You can buy gates (the visio mats have a place to setup gates) or something like the pelz putting tutor to practice this.  A dime at 16"  would be about a degree of accuracy or you can setup a gate at the following distances (the mm is how wide of a gate is needed):

50mm @ 17 inches requires less than 0.5 degree of error 
50mm @ 11 inches requires less than 0.75 degree of error

55mm @ 14 inches requires less than 1 degree of error
55mm @ 19 inches requires less than 0.75 degree of error 

60mm @ 40 inches requires less than 0.5 degrees of error

60mm @ 20 inches requires less than 1 degree of error

You can also setup a putter gate to help practice getting the ball centered.  Here is a nice putting station to setup:

I wouldn't worry about rolling the ball X distance in the house,  you will learn that putt and it probably won't benefit you.   But you should always practice different stroke lengths so that you can ensure you return the face to the correct angle on short and long putts.   

Hopefully that all makes sense. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That's some good stuff CNOSIL. I just followed that putting account you recommended and the wife is already getting nervous that I'm constructing various training aids in the garage to mimic the one in the video. 

The guy that created the Pill training aid was in my local PGA SS and he gave me one to try out at home. I never gave it much thought but I'll have to use that as well to give me some face angle feedback. 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

I don’t follow that account specifically, just thought he provided a nice training station. Today is actually the first time I have looked at all the posts. Couple of nice inexpensive ways to practice.

The information in my post actually comes from multiple sources, the distance and gate size comes from the Visio website.

Rolling the ball down a yardstick is also a good way to practice.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A TPI coach I went to for a few lessons used SAMM putt lab which was a great eye opener for my inconsistent stroke.

He sent me away with a drill to do at home - that he uses - where you tie a piece of string between 2 chair legs about 6" off the ground and putt with your eyes over the string to keep a SBST putting line. It obviously arcs slightly but its designed to stop me (and anyone else) starting outside the line and cutting across the path which is my major putting flaw.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

A TPI coach I went to for a few lessons used SAMM putt lab which was a great eye opener for my inconsistent stroke.
He sent me away with a drill to do at home - that he uses - where you tie a piece of string between 2 chair legs about 6" off the ground and putt with your eyes over the string to keep a SBST putting line. It obviously arcs slightly but its designed to stop me (and anyone else) starting outside the line and cutting across the path which is my major putting flaw.

You could also put an object, like a book outside the target line to ensure your putter doesn’t go outside. Your approach is great for someone that keeps their eyes over the ball, I don’t fall into that camp

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

You could also put an object, like a book outside the target line to ensure your putter doesn’t go outside. Your approach is great for someone that keeps their eyes over the ball, I don’t fall into that camp

Yes tried that, but it doesnt stop the pull across the line, in fact I found it actually promoted me swinging away from the book albeit slightly but enough to miss even a 3 foot putt.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I definitely have the same swing path with my putting. My understanding is that this is actually pretty common for those of us who aim for a SBST stroke.

I love putter training aids, so here are a few suggestions:

• I'm definitely seconding those who suggested either the Pill or the Putter Wheel. Both tend to be pricey (though cheaper than a new putter 🙂), but both can often be found cheaper on eBay. Like others were saying, face angle is more important that stroke direction. But both of these products do a good job exposing problems with either: if you cut across the ball, it will wobble. Biggest complaint with both: I'm actually really bad at lining these things up with my target.
  • I'm a big fan of the Putt-Out. The perfect putt target (on center, just past the hole) does a great job of increasing focus.
  • I'd add this: using the Pill with the Putt-Out is awesome.
  • Final gadget: go get something like this. Easier to use than string, though a cheap one (like the one I linked) needs a darkish room. As an added bonus, they make using the Pill much easier, as you can tell right away if you've lined it up properly. If you put the laser behind your putter, you can learn how to aim your putter, as the laser with make your alignment line glow red when aligned properly.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Yes tried that, but it doesnt stop the pull across the line, in fact I found it actually promoted me swinging away from the book albeit slightly but enough to miss even a 3 foot putt.

You can put something inside on the follow through

Not to derail, but missing a 3 footer isn’t path, it is face angle. I am a left biased player and my stroke goes out to in. I work on hitting my start line and just accept the out to in path; I just have to make sure I don’t go too far outside.

Point is that there are lots of ways to setup a practice station, just need to understand what you are working to manage.

I'll echo cnosil

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can get a metal yardstick at your local hardware store for 5 bucks or less.  Put the ball in the hole at one end.  If you can consistently putt it off the other end, without it falling off the side, your face angle AND path have to work together.  If you can consistently hit your line, you're ready to work on read and speed.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Ran across this on my twitter feed; here’s a video that shows how little the path influences the direction of a putt.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can put something inside on the follow through emoji16.png

Not to derail, but missing a 3 footer isn’t path, it is face angle. I am a left biased player and my stroke goes out to in. I work on hitting my start line and just accept the out to in path; I just have to make sure I don’t go too far outside.

Point is that there are lots of ways to setup a practice station, just need to understand what you are working to manage.

yes, I didnt want to put to much in my post but my face angle is also open 2* at address, so you are spot on.

Basically I suck at putting and need drills drills and more drills over winter 😂

Agree with cnosil and davep043. Using a metal yard stick is my go to. Those first 3 feet of roll are crucial to getting the ball started where you intend. Plus knowing you can putt a ball straight for 3 feet helps those par knee-knockers. Also if you come in too steep or too up on your putts the ball wont roll true and you can work on fixing that as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 8:06 AM, cnosil said:

I don’t follow that account specifically, just thought he provided a nice training station. Today is actually the first time I have looked at all the posts. Couple of nice inexpensive ways to practice.

The information in my post actually comes from multiple sources, the distance and gate size comes from the Visio website.

Ever since this post, I've rolled up the putting mat and just practiced with a 4' aluminum measuring stick I purchased from Lowe's for $6. It's been a fantastic aid. Thanks again for the recommendation! 

• Lefty

I took an online lesson from Potters Putting.  Found him on Instagram.  VERY skeptical before I tried it but it was early on so the price wasn't that bad.  I came away extremely impressed.  He helped me solidify my stroke and it was very simple.  I had a loop in my takeaway and in transition.  He had me setup with an alignment rod at the toe on my putter and use the alignment rod as a gauge (ala Jordan Speith) for the path of the stroke.  I have always felt I was a good putter but what this did was solidify stroke to where I only have to worry about speed.  With the right stroke I was putting the ball on the target line every time.  I can't say enough good things about Marcus Potter.  Guy helps everyone from PGA Tour pros to schmoes like me...

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Archived