What would be an ideal backswing

12 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Dave... when I think of a stable head that usually translates a sway with me. When my head is (fairly) stable i'm staying over the ball well and covering the ball.

I think the sway away from the target is most common, but I've seen people whose head actually moves towards the target.  I like @alfriday101's image of "centered", and the same for the hip rotation, remaining centered.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My personal checkpoints are making a good hip turn, don't be too flat (a bad habit when I start to get tired) and keep my head from pointing down too much.

I can't say much more than the fantastic points that have already been brought up by others, but if you and your coach are making progress I'd follow his plan!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

By stable, I mean it doesn't move a lot.  I dislike the image of a rigid fixed position, but I believe that if your head moves a lot, you'll be less consistent with contact.  A little bit of up and down is pretty common, even with good players, but you see very little lateral movement of the head for those good players.  A LOT of up and down would indicate , to me, excessive flex/extension of the knees.  A lot of lateral motion would indicate a sway, or reverse-pivot.  My image of a good swing is one that revolves around your spine.  Hips turn on an inclined plane, your body rotates around an inclined axis (spine), your shoulders rotate around your spine, while the spine (and your head on top) remain pretty stable.  

Thanks. I agree with your thoughts on what it means and wanted to make sure it was to keeep it still. Not sure if you watch amg but they talk about the head going up and down. 

While it’s not considered lateral movement there are several out there talking about and teaching head rotating in the transition/downswing to help get more open at impact especially for Gide sho don’t get proper hip/torso rotation. I think GG is on the far end of the amount of rotation

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Thanks. I agree with your thoughts on what it means and wanted to make sure it was to keeep it still. Not sure if you watch amg but they talk about the head going up and down. 

While it’s not considered lateral movement there are several out there talking about and teaching head rotating in the transition/downswing to help get more open at impact especially for Gide sho don’t get proper hip/torso rotation. I think GG is on the far end of the amount of rotation

I watch as little online "generic" instruction as I can.  By "generic" I mean those instructors who are just sending it out there for anyone to use, as opposed to instructions for a single player based on that player's video.  I'm pretty sure that way over 99% of us do NOT have the skills to diagnose the root cause for our swing faults, so I'm not a believer in searching through the internet for specific tips that will help to fix a problem when I've probably mis-diagnosed the cause.  With the wide range of philosophies, and the often contradictory advice to cure any specific fault, using that type of instruction is more likely to CAUSE a problem than it is to fix one.

That's all horribly off-topic.  I believe a steady head is important, because your eyes are your reference point for understanding where the ball is.  If your reference point, your eyes, is moving around, that makes it much harder to hit the ball consistently.  Watch baseball players, hockey players, football receivers.  The most successful generally have a still head (for baseball), or a head that remains pretty level (when they're running or skating).

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have always been told by my many instructors that what happens in the first move in the backswing dictates how well the rest will be.

I believe this so true. I know that with a very slow takeaway with the upper body moving as one, the rest just follows.

and I have also hurried up the start of the back swing and have had disastrous results.  

my thoughts anyways

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Your head moving up and down is quite natural depending on how you pivot.  When I swing in 'perpetuity'  with an external focus on throwing my clubface to a target or through an intermediate target , or 'cut dandelions' with the edge of the face, my head bobs up and down quite a bit . I never used to allow that for the first 25 years of playing golf due to some pre-conceived notion about mechanics of the golf swing (ie. got to keep the centre of the swing stable). Guess what ,  the research findings state there is no stable center of the golf swing , it moves all over the place (and a lot of the time it's moving outside of the perimeters of your body) based on various complex movements. Although the shoulder socket does become the center of the swing close to impact if you have any semblance of secondary tilt.

Check out this old Shawn Clement video because it changed my whole perception of the golf swing and imho I've been playing my best 'fearless'  strain-free recreational golf in the last 30 years .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn8CmDNi0UM

I just want Adam Scott’s swing. Cameron Champ’s would work too!!!!

Basically, we need one that’s on-plane!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

19 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I just want Adam Scott’s swing. Cameron Champ’s would work too!!!!

Basically, we need one that’s on-plane!!!

I wouldn't mind a year or two of Tiger's 1999-2005 swing!😁

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I wouldn't mind a year or two of Tiger's 1999-2005 swing![emoji16]

Heck yeah!!!!!

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1