Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
jlukes

Titleist TS2 & TS3 Driver Thread

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

I spent some time in the hitting bay at Golf Galaxy over the weekend - the TS2 really has me intrigued. I tried the 9.5* loft and the HZRDUS Smoke and Even Flow shafts (I hit about 20 balls with each shaft). I was averaging about 95 mph swing speed but backspin was very high (approaching 4000 rpm with the Smoke shaft and 3500 rpm with the Even Flow, IIRC). The guy at the store also told me my launch angle was pretty high, but I don't recall what it was. If you've paid any attention to the Bridgestone JGR driver thread, I have strong suspicions that the shaft was way wrong for me, but apparently my swing isn't helping much. To me, the main thing that came out of it was I need a lesson (or 6) to groove a swing. Apparently I have a tendency to hit pretty sharply down on the ball (which I wasn't entirely aware of), so I made some efforts to try to catch the ball more on the upswing. The few occasions this happened resulted in much lower spin (around 2000 rpm) and much more carry (250 versus 220).

I'm still very intrigued by the TS2, but need a couple lessons and for spring to come so I can hit some balls.

Spin in the upper 3's and a "high" launch angle would have me searching for a different launch monitor - especially since you say you hit down on the ball.

Hopefully when you get some lessons you can get a better understanding of your angle of attack and then you can find the right driver for you.  The TS2 is going to fit A LOT of people - just a very well rounded driver.  

• Like 1

I too have fallen under the TS bug, I went to Club Champion about a month ago and fell in love once fitted properly.  My overall game is decent, but driving always gets me in trouble and I tend to have around 2 penalty shots per round due to bad driving.  

With the TS3 and the right shaft, my dispersion both horizontal and vertical were fantastic.  Excited for the winter to retreat and bring more 45* and warmer days.  

image.png.86954f0b87afe0a5da81050de08681e3.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

I too have fallen under the TS bug, I went to Club Champion about a month ago and fell in love once fitted properly.  My overall game is decent, but driving always gets me in trouble and I tend to have around 2 penalty shots per round due to bad driving.  

With the TS3 and the right shaft, my dispersion both horizontal and vertical were fantastic.  Excited for the winter to retreat and bring more 45* and warmer days.  

Great stuff dude.  I see you tested the same setup with the TS2 head - what did the TS3 give you over the TS2.  Did it help you keep your spin down?

• Like 1

That's a really, really small circle!

I think I had the furthest drive of my life yesterday. Friend clocked it at 329 on his Garmin watch, I don't have one so I can't really keep track of my total distance when I feel like I smash one. I normally just zap the flag and subtract from the distance on the scorecard. When we caught up to the guys ahead of us, they were asking me about the TS2 after they saw my ball come to rest 50y from the green 🙂

Were any shots removed? That’s awesome!!! Nothing like seeing that at the end of a fitting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Great stuff dude.  I see you tested the same setup with the TS2 head - what did the TS3 give you over the TS2.  Did it help you keep your spin down?

Thanks alot, for me it was all about the weights in the TS3.  I tend to come over the top a bit with a slight shut face, so by pairing a heavier shaft with the weight in the toe for a fade bias assisted the club face staying open and me coming a bit more on path. My spin was actually pretty close with both.  Below are all my shots with both.  The shots tended to be pulls with the TS2 although I did get the highest ball speed from TS2.

image.png.b815ef9471e48eb07f7ac9c3a5cedd97.png

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

That's a really, really small circle!

I think I had the furthest drive of my life yesterday. Friend clocked it at 329 on his Garmin watch, I don't have one so I can't really keep track of my total distance when I feel like I smash one. I normally just zap the flag and subtract from the distance on the scorecard. When we caught up to the guys ahead of us, they were asking me about the TS2 after they saw my ball come to rest 50y from the green 🙂

Thanks!  329 is deep!  Especially in the cooler conditions.  Hopefully that continues as the year plays on.

16 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Thanks alot, for me it was all about the weights in the TS3.  I tend to come over the top a bit with a slight shut face, so by pairing a heavier shaft with the weight in the toe for a fade bias assisted the club face staying open and me coming a bit more on path. My spin was actually pretty close with both.  Below are all my shots with both.  The shots tended to be pulls with the TS2 although I did get the highest ball speed from TS2.

I am going to club Champion on the 18th for a driver fitting.  I have the TS2 but If I am optimized.  Going to try a boat load of shafts, as well as the TS3 and Cobra F9 heads

• Like 2

2 hours ago, juspoole said:

I had exactly the opposite results, TS3 was longer because the spin was absolutely killed. I was spinning on average 1800 with TS3, and my dispersion suffered. Just another great example of the importance of a fitting.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yungkory said:

I had exactly the opposite results, TS3 was longer because the spin was absolutely killed. I was spinning on average 1800 with TS3, and my dispersion suffered. Just another great example of the importance of a fitting.

Definitely agree.  I think the TS3 is the lower spinning of the two if I had to pick.  You can see my angle of attack is negative.  I still haven't quite figured out how to hit up on the ball as well as I should with a driver.  

Hopefully the TS2 continues to work well for you.

• Like 2

Definitely agree.  I think the TS3 is the lower spinning of the two if I had to pick.  You can see my angle of attack is negative.  I still haven't quite figured out how to hit up on the ball as well as I should with a driver.  

Hopefully the TS2 continues to work well for you.

Hitting up can be achieved at setup and with takeaway. Some spine tilt at setup, staying behind the ball and coming more from the inside than out to in. If you are into YouTube instruction me and mygolf did some videos recently on this as well as posts on Instagram and Twitter. 

Hitting up can be achieved at setup and with takeaway. Some spine tilt at setup, staying behind the ball and coming more from the inside than out to in. If you are into YouTube instruction me and mygolf did some videos recently on this as well as posts on Instagram and Twitter. 

I will add that hitting up requires more spine tilt than in would think. I worked on this yesterday and started at about .5 down and when I felt like I was tilting way back was only able to get to about 1.5 up.

Now if you could get me to hit the ball lower on the face that would be something. I can move the ball up in my stance and tee it lower and still hit the top of the face.

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I will add that hitting up requires more spine tilt than in would think. I worked on this yesterday and started at about .5 down and when I felt like I was tilting way back was only able to get to about 1.5 up.

Now if you could get me to hit the ball lower on the face that would be something. I can move the ball up in my stance and tee it lower and still hit the top of the face.

I’m no expert but I have seen where too much spine tilt is bad. It will vary by golfer.  How high on the face and how far of center?

I’m no expert but I have seen where too much spine tilt is bad. It will vary by golfer.  How high on the face and how far of center?

When I see the marks on my gamer when I am playing I am pretty close to center and launch mid to high. The high center happens when I am doing the indoor testing, We confirmed with tape last year that the GC quad was reading accurately. It is what it is, I really just need to work on my swing.

I agree on the spine tilt, You can overdo it so it is something to experiment with because it may cause other things to get out of wack.

Thanks guys.  Definitely agree with some of your sentiments.  I should have phrased it better. I do know some ways to get better with it, but when I try to really adjust and get that better attack angle with driver, my accuracy seems to suffer a bit.

Although, this could be a great time to really work on it since there are still a few months until the season really starts.  I've always been hesitant to make too many changes during the season because my enjoyment tends to fade since I'm not playing as well through that change.  Pair that with the fact that I can't get out to play/practice as much as I used to since I have 3 children that are 4 years old and younger.  Trying to get my 4 year old daughter into it as we speak.  Don't judge my bad garage set up. lol1609094667_ALgof.jpg.8993f9a62711ab1c3943550ab5c66551.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

When I see the marks on my gamer when I am playing I am pretty close to center and launch mid to high. The high center happens when I am doing the indoor testing, We confirmed with tape last year that the GC quad was reading accurately. It is what it is, I really just need to work on my swing.

I agree on the spine tilt, You can overdo it so it is something to experiment with because it may cause other things to get out of wack.

Sounds like you have what many of us have with the indoor swing vs outside swing. 

• Like 1

I hit the TS2 at PGA Superstore tonight. Right off the bat it was too closed at address. The first three shots went left, left, and left. Ball speed never got over 158. Yeah, not for me.

24 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I hit the TS2 at PGA Superstore tonight. Right off the bat it was too closed at address. The first three shots went left, left, and left. Ball speed never got over 158. Yeah, not for me.

I thought exactly the same about the TS3.

TS2 was fine for me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PMookie said:

It's amazing how two eyes can see something different. As someone who misses left I could never game a driver that looks closed to me. Love how square the TS2 sits to my eye 

• Like 3

It's amazing how two eyes can see something different. As someone who misses left I could never game a driver that looks closed to me. Love how square the TS2 sits to my eye 

But pretty much every driver I’ve ever played has always been 1*-2* open, even way back to TM Tour Burner TP. Anything that is square, looks closed to me. TS3 would be a better option for me to try.