Jump to content
jlukes

Titleist TS2 & TS3 Driver Thread

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

21 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

really wanted to like the Cobra, persevered with loft and weight changes and swing changes, the TS isn't perfect but I had a level of confidence with it going 'roughly' where I aimed, with the Cobra it could go left with a hook or high and very right..........which is clearly my swing error but it means the Cobra doesn't 'fit' with my swing.

Gutted as it's costing me hard earned cash

No doubt a good looking club but the profile for me doesnt suit my eye as much as the titliest drivers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I know lots of weekend hackers that control a slice to come back to the fairway.
Theres not a pro I know of that consider 15+ yards of movement either direction a fade or draw. They prefer 3-5 at the most. 
But like with all things golf there’s lots of ways to skin the cat and play this game at an enjoyable level 
Have you seen the Protracer curvature values on some of the pros shots!? Most play alot more curve than 3 to 5 yards..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jus1412 said:

Have you seen the Protracer curvature values on some of the pros shots!? Most play alot more curve than 3 to 5 yards..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
 

It depends on the shot but for the most parts anything more than 3-5 yards is rare. I watched Rory hit a bunch of straight billets off the tee this week on the euro tour.

ive been to several pga events and watched them on the course and on he range their balls barely move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still loving the TS2 .... probably the longest driver I've owned in a long time.

That is all!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found fitting numbers from Club Champion in 2018 and I’m looking st the TS2 numbers and seeing they were the best of the bunch. The issue was that I told the fitter I wanted nothing going left. Well, the smallest dispersion circle was with the TS2, but it was slightly left of center. The spin was too high as well, but the consistency of ball speed, smash, etc was best with TS2.
All the guy had to do was find a shaft and setting to get me down 400 RPMs and it would’ve EASILY stood out.
Hmm. Ponder...
IMG_0271.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Just found fitting numbers from Club Champion in 2018 and I’m looking st the TS2 numbers and seeing they were the best of the bunch. The issue was that I told the fitter I wanted nothing going left. Well, the smallest dispersion circle was with the TS2, but it was slightly left of center. The spin was too high as well, but the consistency of ball speed, smash, etc was best with TS2.
All the guy had to do was find a shaft and setting to get me down 400 RPMs and it would’ve EASILY stood out.
Hmm. Ponder...
IMG_0271.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TS2 is/was a beast for me as well. If I had a better fitting shaft in it, I probably wouldn't have bagged the Flash. My miss was way, way left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TS2 is/was a beast for me as well. If I had a better fitting shaft in it, I probably wouldn't have bagged the Flash. My miss was way, way left.

My fitter didn’t even try other shafts in it. One and done, the Devotion... In looking back, it wasn’t one of the better fittings I’ve had. I bet my “left biased” Rome and the lowest setting on the TS2 might be pretty good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Titleist came to my club 2 days ago, so took the opportunity to talk in detail to the fitter on what I feel and how I want a shaft to feel, as opposed to him just fitting me for 'X' shaft based on my SS.

He listened then put me in a heavy boardy shaft to 'see what I can do' lol Numbers were decent but I had no idea where the head was during the swing.

I persuaded him to try other shafts based on what I was looking for. He insisted the shaft doesnt make as much difference to the numbers as the head does, I questioned that but he insisted. He also said my SS was within 1mph for all the shafts regardless of weight and flex.

Anyway, he eventually said he doesnt think the shaft I'm looking for exists😂

Best numbers we got was from the Tensei shaft which according to Trackman was giving me an average 25yds extra carry over my norm.😮

So I'll try it on the course for a few days and if it stays like that I'd be foolish not to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Titleist came to my club 2 days ago, so took the opportunity to talk in detail to the fitter on what I feel and how I want a shaft to feel, as opposed to him just fitting me for 'X' shaft based on my SS.

He listened then put me in a heavy boardy shaft to 'see what I can do' lol Numbers were decent but I had no idea where the head was during the swing.

I persuaded him to try other shafts based on what I was looking for. He insisted the shaft doesnt make as much difference to the numbers as the head does, I questioned that but he insisted. He also said my SS was within 1mph for all the shafts regardless of weight and flex.

Anyway, he eventually said he doesnt think the shaft I'm looking for exists😂

Best numbers we got was from the Tensei shaft which according to Trackman was giving me an average 25yds extra carry over my norm.😮

So I'll try it on the course for a few days and if it stays like that I'd be foolish not to buy.

So many think the shaft is some magic wand. All the good fitters I know find head first and then use the shaft to fine tune. 

When I did my 917 fitting we went thru both d2 and d3 heads and 9.5 and 10.5 lofts. With some minor tweaks to the settings.

then we found 3 shafts that worked best and went with the one we both agreed had the swing  rhythm the best 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

So many think the shaft is some magic wand. All the good fitters I know find head first and then use the shaft to fine tune. 

out of interest how did they 'find' the head first?

Surely a light whippy regular flex on a guy swinging 110MPH with a fast transition will be a disaster on ANY head? Yes that's an extreme but surely the shaft plays a big part? Just asking for genuine interest. I have friends who cant even swing my S flex without topping or skittering it along the ground as they play heavy X flex.

Overall I think both are important and its finding the right shaft/head combo that suits a persons swing transition and speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

out of interest how did they 'find' the head first?

Surely a light whippy regular flex on a guy swinging 110MPH with a fast transition will be a disaster on ANY head? Yes that's an extreme but surely the shaft plays a big part? Just asking for genuine interest. I have friends who cant even swing my S flex without topping or skittering it along the ground as they play heavy X flex.

Overall I think both are important and its finding the right shaft/head combo that suits a persons swing transition and speed.

Yeah obviously there’s some bad fits for shafts as you mention someone with a fast ss and quick transition isn’t going to fit into a soft shaft.

in general there’s optimal windows of launch and spin for ss ranges (a starting point). Many times the fitter uses the current setup to get a baseline and an idea where to start with loft and possibly head size and overall design of the head. A low spin golfer that doesn’t hit the ball high probably won’t fit into a low spin head.

so based on the current club they pick a head to start wit and a similar shaft make up if not the same shaft to see what it does and then they go from there. Using golfer feedback, launch monitor numbers and ball flight (outdoor fitting) they adjust where needed. Once the head is settled on them there may be shaft changes to see if they can optimize it more.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

 Many times the fitter uses the current setup to get a baseline and an idea where to start with loft and possibly head size and overall design of the head. A low spin golfer that doesn’t hit the ball high probably won’t fit into a low spin head.

so based on the current club 

 

could be this, as I went in with no driver so he was starting from a point of discussion as opposed to what I already gamed.

 

I remember getting fitted for irons at Wentworth years ago (home of the current European Tour Flagship event on now) and the fitter there looked at my set and said I think we'll just put the same shafts in the new set!!!! Wow! lazy fitting or what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

could be this, as I went in with no driver so he was starting from a point of discussion as opposed to what I already gamed.

 

I remember getting fitted for irons at Wentworth years ago (home of the current European Tour Flagship event on now) and the fitter there looked at my set and said I think we'll just put the same shafts in the new set!!!! Wow! lazy fitting or what.

When I did my 917 fitting I didn’t hit my gamer. I told the fitter I wanted a titleist driver and knew what I was getting from my current driver and would know if we were right with the 917. I didn’t get too many numbers during my fitting since I didn’t want to alter swing to chase numbers. It took probably 30 swings before we settled on head then another 60-70 swings changing shafts and hosel adjustments. 

The iron fitting could be lazy but it’s a good starting point and if the numbers worked in the new heads no need to swap. My 718 iron fitting was that way. Used my current shaft and boom right in the numbers. Swapped shaft twice to see if anything changed. Px lz were no good for my swing and px 6.0 also worked. I went with what I had and was happy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that results will vary but I tried all the big names before I settled on the TS3.  I love this driver and many of my group have gone to it as well.  I never considered a Titleist driver before this issue.

Edited by Glftips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, Gijoe83 said:

TS2 is the driver choice for me!! Went in to a local Puetz golf store in Seattle with the intent to purchase a new driver, specifically the G410 or the Taylormade M6. After hitting both of these and not really liking the sound of either sweet spot hit - if it doesn't sound good, then homey don't play that! - the fitter handed me the TS2 to try out. I told him that I wasn't interested but he insisted, and I'm glad that he did! Numbers were off the charts: increased head speed by 6mph over the other two (102mph); dispersion was super tight; distance was on average better, with the long being 312yds; the spin avg was 2235; and, the sound was amazing! Needless to say, I walked out with the TS2 with the Tensei Blue stiff shaft. I've since upgraded to a UST Mamiya VTS Black in 6SX and my results are even better now than before! Love this club!!! FYI, did try the TS3 but set-up and feel weren't the same as the TS2.

I went to a fitting last winter for drivers, I agree with you, I liked the TS2 much better than the TS3.  Shape was more pleasing to my eye and it just felt much better.  That being said, I walked away with an Epic Flash Sub Zero...hahaha  TS2 was best feeling, numbers though were much better with the Sub Zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...