Jump to content

2018 Official Forum Review-TrueGolfFit and Global Golf U-Try


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OFFICIAL MGS TRUE GOLF FIT AND U-TRY REVIEW Stage One - by GB13   First off, I would like to give a big THANK YOU to MGS putting this together and another thank you to CG2 for dealing G

First, I want to thank MGS for this amazing opportunity to take part in this review! Introduction: Hello fellow Spies!  For those of you who do not know me, my name is Mike.  I live in India

Stage 1: Official MyGolfSpy forum member review of               TrueGolfFit & Global Golf’s U-try Program   I want to give a shout out to Golfspy_CG2 for his persistence and time in ma

Posted Images

9 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

On a side note, I read recently that while the end cost for the U-Try program is $25, they take the full amount out of your account as a hold until they receive the club back.  Kinda disappointing for someone with what seems like less and less disposable income.

I'm with you there. 

  • Like 2

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8


Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0


God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Golfspy_CG2, can you please pin this so it's easier to find?

Great start so far, everyone! Looking forward to the rest.

  • Like 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Link to post
Share on other sites
I'll jump in. Since this was designed to be a review of TrueGolfFit and the U-Try system that is the focus of Stage 1.
 
Of course everyone wants to know if the recommended club worked. They have the flexibility to do so in the the format they see best fit.
 
So they will be reviewing the club in stage 2. It won't necessarily be the stage 2 you're used to seeing with scoring of different categories. And they will be sharing thoughts on the club as they go.
 
 
 
Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing


Thanks! I interpret that as a green light. So guys, how are the clubs selected treating you so far?


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

 

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 12:48 PM, GB13 said:

I usually try to play a fairly straight ball that falls a yard to the right. I have developed that shot after reading a MGS blog article that said, "missing fairways to the left are 0.2 strokes more penal". Therefore, I play to have a right miss. 

Grayson,

Great Stage 1, and it's enjoyable getting to know more about you and your game. I think I can speak for many of us here in expressing my respect for how you carry yourself on this forum.

Two comments: first, I loved the quote from your Stage 1 that I excerpted above. I literally laughed a bit, realizing you're totally in the right place if you think like this. Good stuff 🙂

Second, I'm not that old: I'll turn 40 next summer. Even so, watching your swing was one of the surest indicators that while I might not be old, I'm definitely not young. Impressive use of the ground!

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wedgie said:

 


Thanks! I interpret that as a green light. So guys, how are the clubs selected treating you so far?


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

I don't want to say too much just yet, but I will say that I have dropped the loft down to 8.5*.  Just to provide a little teaser, I hit last night on Trackman and recorded a swing of 108.7 mph swing speed producing 157.1 mph ball speed

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't want to say too much just yet, but I will say that I have dropped the loft down to 8.5*.  Just to provide a little teaser, I hit last night on Trackman and recorded a swing of 108.7 mph swing speed producing 157.1 mph ball speed


Okay, I see you boys are going to play hard to get. Is the club you received one you have tried before? If not is it a club that was on your radar?


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Wedgie

 

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BUMP!...Stage 1 is up

  • Like 4

WITB:

 

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

 


Okay, I see you boys are going to play hard to get. Is the club you received one you have tried before? If not is it a club that was on your radar?


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

 

TaylorMade M3 440CC 9 degrees driver...never in my thought, on my radar,or my dreams...maybe the 460 version or the m4 in a 10.5 -This is going to be interesting...

  • Like 2

WITB:

 

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wedgie said:

 


Thanks! I interpret that as a green light. So guys, how are the clubs selected treating you so far?


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

So far, I have really enjoyed the performance. It seems to be about 15 yards longer like TGF said and much more accurate. My spin numbers certainly seem to have dropped, so I think that accounts for most of the improvements. 

While it has no impact on performance, I am disappointed in the quality of the paint fill in the weights and WS logo. I haven't hit the ground while swinging but just the friction from the tee has chipped the paint fill. I do recall a problem with the paint fill in the WS C300 irons testing, so I am guessing it is a problem across the board for Wilson.

 

4 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

Grayson,

Great Stage 1, and it's enjoyable getting to know more about you and your game. I think I can speak for many of us here in expressing my respect for how you carry yourself on this forum.

Two comments: first, I loved the quote from your Stage 1 that I excerpted above. I literally laughed a bit, realizing you're totally in the right place if you think like this. Good stuff 🙂

Second, I'm not that old: I'll turn 40 next summer. Even so, watching your swing was one of the surest indicators that while I might not be old, I'm definitely not young. Impressive use of the ground!

Ha! Thank you for the kind words! 

I like that quote from Tony too. I found it very interesting that golf course designers, either consciously or unconsciously, cater to the fact that 90% of recreational golfers have a slice. But I figured, whether it was intentional or not, I'll use it to my advantage on the course.  😊

  • Like 4

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wedgie said:

 


Okay, I see you boys are going to play hard to get. Is the club you received one you have tried before? If not is it a club that was on your radar?


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

 

I apologize as I wasn't positive if I needed to hold anything back for a stage 2.  We have the green light!  On the shot that I teased about I only received 270 yards of carry.  I must have caught it a little higher on the face because it only had 1484 spin rate.  It just didn't have enough spin to stay in the air.

The thing I've notice about this club is that it's producing more ball speed than my Ping by a few mph, but it's not near as consistent.  I actually was not able to replicate the 300 yards as TGF stated on that Trackman session.  I'm launching it around the 14* - 15* mark, but the total distance seemed to stay around 285 - 290.

I did test the first Srixon driver, Z545, and found that consistency was a big problem for me.  I definitely would have tested this driver if I went through my full fitting process.

  • Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BUMP! STAGE 1 IS UP UP UP


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 4

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stage one fellas. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the drivers that were picked for you all.

  • Like 3

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8


Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0


God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job guys

This is an important review as trufit is something I’m recommending to friends.

Can’t wait for the stage 2’s


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Sunday everyone!  I went out to do a little more testing at my local PGA Superstore.  I wanted to be able to provide data better data behind my shots.  I really like that they allow you to email yourself the launch monitor numbers from your session!  

Looking at the data, it was interesting to see how close these drivers were.  Below I first put in the top drives with each club, and then I added a chart showing the averages of the top 5 drives with each driver. 

Club                  Ball Speed     Launch Angle     Backspin     Sidespin     Carry     Total
Srixon Z785       154.3                 16.5                   2215            -147          275.4    297.4
Ping G LST         156.2                 13.3                   2214            -622          270.3    291.1
 

Srixon vs Ping.jpg

The numbers show how close these drivers are when they are struck well.  The Z785 was producing slightly more ball speed and ultimately was a few yards further.  The story that the data does not tell is that it took close to 20 swings to get the top 5 drives my the Srixon compared to the 8 it took for the Ping.  The Ping so much more consistent than the Srixon.  The next round of launch monitor testing, I want to see if I cannot find a stiffer shaft to see if that might help.

  • Like 7

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Goaliewales - why stiffer?  16.5 launch and 2200 spin is pretty impressive.  Why not stick with what you have and practice with it some.  I'm guessing you told us somewhere but what is the loft of both of those drivers and what do you have them set for currently?  Have you ever messed with the loft on the Ping?  (I tried all 5 settings at a fitting and am at neutral currently.  My fitter wants me as low as I feel comfortable with to reduce spin. 

  • Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Happy Sunday everyone!  I went out to do a little more testing at my local PGA Superstore.  I wanted to be able to provide data better data behind my shots.  I really like that they allow you to email yourself the launch monitor numbers from your session!  

Looking at the data, it was interesting to see how close these drivers were.  Below I first put in the top drives with each club, and then I added a chart showing the averages of the top 5 drives with each driver. 

Club                  Ball Speed     Launch Angle     Backspin     Sidespin     Carry     Total
Srixon Z785       154.3                 16.5                   2215            -147          275.4    297.4
Ping G LST         156.2                 13.3                   2214            -622          270.3    291.1
 

Srixon vs Ping.jpg

The numbers show how close these drivers are when they are struck well.  The Z785 was producing slightly more ball speed and ultimately was a few yards further.  The story that the data does not tell is that it took close to 20 swings to get the top 5 drives my the Srixon compared to the 8 it took for the Ping.  The Ping so much more consistent than the Srixon.  The next round of launch monitor testing, I want to see if I cannot find a stiffer shaft to see if that might help.

Do you think it could be that you are used to the PING?

I know for me with the C300, I have found it much easier to make solid contact. It isn't really something I can quantify, but when I rated 10 strikes with each club on a scale of 1-10, the TM Aeroburner averaged a 6.5 and the C300 averaged a 9. I do think the extra 15 grams in shaft weight has helped immensely by being much more stable for my erratic swing. 

So far, TGF is proving itself to being an invaluable tool in fitting. 

  • Like 4

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, revkev said:

@Goaliewales - why stiffer?  16.5 launch and 2200 spin is pretty impressive.  Why not stick with what you have and practice with it some.  I'm guessing you told us somewhere but what is the loft of both of those drivers and what do you have them set for currently?  Have you ever messed with the loft on the Ping?  (I tried all 5 settings at a fitting and am at neutral currently.  My fitter wants me as low as I feel comfortable with to reduce spin. 

Great questions!  I want to go a little stiffer since the shaft feels very whippy to me.  Every time I load it, I feel like it's lagging behind quite a bit.  A few demo days that I have went to in the past just to try the new drivers, the fitters normally put me in a 75ish gram shaft and my dispersion really tightens up with those shafts.

As far as setups, the Srixon I currently have at 8.5* with the 6.5 HZRDUS Black 65 Hand Crafted shaft.  The Ping G LST I currently have at 10.5* with the Ping Tour 65X shaft.  I used to play around with the loft quite a bit, but I always kept coming back to the 10.5* from the fitting. (Insert "I told you so" from the pro shop). 🙂 

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Do you think it could be that you are used to the PING?

I know for me with the C300, I have found it much easier to make solid contact. It isn't really something I can quantify, but when I rated 10 strikes with each club on a scale of 1-10, the TM Aeroburner averaged a 6.5 and the C300 averaged a 9. I do think the extra 15 grams in shaft weight has helped immensely by being much more stable for my erratic swing. 

So far, TGF is proving itself to being an invaluable tool in fitting. 

It definitely could be the fact I'm used to my Ping.  I'm still playing around with it a bit to see what I can come up with and hopefully get everything dialed in.

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

great job all! Enjoyed the Stage 1's. Always enjoy reading posts that end up with someone choosing something they never would've thought of on their own. Some great thoughts so far! I'm excited to see how they compare to your previous drivers.

  • Like 3

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...