Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Distance

jdlanier

Hey Folks! 

I recently got all my clubs re-gripped, my local pro recommended I get my driver shaft cut down an inch. Skeptical, I said alright and my next round I hit a bunch more fairways. I did notice a small loss in distance, however not anything concerning. My question is, is a new driver head going to help increase that distance again? I'm rocking a Ping G10, which is a bit older.... I mean, is the newer technology that much better?

Thanks for reading my rambling! 

Jimmy

Hey Folks! 
I recently got all my clubs re-gripped, my local pro recommended I get my driver shaft cut down an inch. Skeptical, I said alright and my next round I hit a bunch more fairways. I did notice a small loss in distance, however not anything concerning. My question is, is a new driver head going to help increase that distance again? I'm rocking a Ping G10, which is a bit older.... I mean, is the newer technology that much better?

Thanks for reading my rambling! 
Jimmy
That driver is old enough to I can say with full confidence that you'd definitely see some performance gains with a newer, properly fitted driver

Maybe, maybe not. Going shifted shaft usually helps make better contact and there are differing opinions around about maintains/gaining or losing swing speed depending on shaft length.

new heads and shafts compared to what you are playing imo will offer better ball flight characteristics that would lead to more distance. It’s about finding the best combonthat works for your swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I gamed a PING G5 driver for about 15 years, and bought a PING G400 driver last year.  I gained about 10-20 yards in distance with the G400.  The G10 isn't much different from the G5, so do with that information what you will.  Also keep in mind that results vary by golfer, and you should take what I came away with with a grain of salt.  If I gave advice to anyone on something like this, I would suggest taking the old driver in to a launch monitor and hit it 10-20 times and write down the average numbers.  Then do the same with the new driver and see if there is a difference.  My brother did this a few years ago and discovered that the 20 year old driver he was still using went further than any of the new stuff he hit.  So he saved himself $400 and kept on playing his old driver.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Hence the question: which has greater impact (no pun intended) on one's game: new driver technology or swing speed? My non analytical sense is that it's the latter, however,  in my case the newer technology benefited me with straighter drives. I use to game a G20 driver and just purchased a new Callaway GBB driver. While not the brand new technology of a G400 Max or the upcoming F-9 (which I'm coveting in yellow),  I only used it on 3 rounds before packing it away for the the winter, the 2 immediate benefits I saw were straighter drives. (moved the weight most of the way to a draw setting) and less side spin.  

Also my expectation was that I wouldn't be getting more distance initially with the new driver because I've slowed down my swing to correct my swing flaws. My winter objective will be working on SS  - so between that work, correcting the swing and the new driver I expect a dramatic increase in distance next spring.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

To the OP:

I’m sure if you were fitted to a new driver you’d find more yards simply from gains in ball speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

5 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’m sure if you were fitted to a new driver you’d find more yards simply from gains in ball speed.

And more than likely due to technology and materials better dispersion and less distance loss on mush hits

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

21 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I'd agree. Again in my case which is probably different from the OP, I intentionally  slowed down my SS, so initially not looking for distance but rather accuracy. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

18 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'd agree. Again in my case which is probably different from the OP, I intentionally  slowed down my SS, so initially not looking for distance but rather accuracy. 

Curious how much you slowed down SS and what prevented you from maintaining SS while improving accuracy 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Curious how much you slowed down SS and what prevented you from maintaining SS while improving accuracy 

I slowed SS down to about 80-82. My tendency was a fast back swing and using arms only resulting in a pretty big slice. My instructor had me working on a few things this fall, the slower SS allows me to embed those improvements (muscle memory?).  

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

34 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I slowed SS down to about 80-82. My tendency was a fast back swing and using arms only resulting in a pretty big slice. My instructor had me working on a few things this fall, the slower SS allows me to embed those improvements (muscle memory?).  

Interesting. Are you planning to ramp back up? 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting. Are you planning to ramp back up? 

That's my next step after embedding the swing mechanics. i will work on core muscle development over the winter and continue practicing the swing mechanics to ramp up the speed. I'd like to get it back into the low 90's.  I bought a SC200 a few months ago so I can see the improvements - straight and long - that's the goal. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

This year I was concerned that my driving distance just wasn't working for me. I was swinging a Ben Hogan CS-3. So somewhere about the first part of June when I was getting my game back under me from the winter break I went to the local range and tried several drivers. The Ping G400 felt the best to me. So the next day I went back to hit some balls on the simulator. First the Ben Hogan. I was rather surprised to find out I was only getting about 210 out of it. My first hit with the G400 I nailed one 256 yards. I about fell over. The extra yardage was due in most part to the increase in head speed at point of impact. I hit balls for an hour and consistently hit the Ping 40+ yards longer than the Hogan. My best with the Ping was 285 vs the Hogan at 214.

So to ease your mind get to a simulator with your current driver and a todays models, I know you will surprise yourself.

I did order the G400 that day.....couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

On 11/16/2018 at 10:29 AM, jdlanier said:

I mean, is the newer technology that much better?

In answer to your question and based on my experience, an emphatic YES.  I held off upgrading to a new driver for WAY TOO LONG.  Played a GBB up until last February when I picked up a used Callaway Razr-Fit.  It has resulted in 10-15 additional yards but more importantly is the forgiveness of mishits.   260 vs. 450 cc hitting area makes a really big difference.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've recently began to feel like I'm losing a bit of distance. (64) I'll admit that I've been somewhat lethargic or indifferent to my game recently. The weather has also cooled some too. But... I'm playing regularly. I'm still using my trusty and reliable 2014 SLDR by choice. This past year I toyed with upgrading a bit by trying a newer driver. As many of you know I tried to self-fit (heresy!) and bag a brand new 2015 3rd "Most Wanted" Cobra Fly-Z+. I tried several shaft combos and adjusted it endlessly. No luck and disappointed. It's a beautiful driver IMO. So, I purchased another new 2014 SLDR just like the one I play now. My thinking was to have a standby just in case. 

So here I am today saying..... Perhaps I should give a Ping G400, G400 LST or G400 Max a try. I'd also be interested in the testing the Cobra King F9 (yellowjacket), and the Wilson Cortex. I know a couple of Ping players with a G400 model of some flavor and their driving distances have improved. As for the F9 and the Cortex -  can't say really except that I like the look (photos) of both. I have to like the look of any club before taking the next step. I don't normally buy new releases so the F9 will probably be a non-starter. The Cortex is rather expensive but I think the price will drop quickly on this club. We'll see. And yes... I will get fit if I decide to make a change.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

57 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I've recently began to feel like I'm losing a bit of distance. (64) I'll admit that I've been somewhat lethargic or indifferent to my game recently. The weather has also cooled some too. But... I'm playing regularly. I'm still using my trusty and reliable 2014 SLDR by choice. This past year I toyed with upgrading a bit by trying a newer driver. As many of you know I tried to self-fit (heresy!) and bag a brand new 2015 3rd "Most Wanted" Cobra Fly-Z+. I tried several shaft combos and adjusted it endlessly. No luck and disappointed. It's a beautiful driver IMO. So, I purchased another new 2014 SLDR just like the one I play now. My thinking was to have a standby just in case. 

So here I am today saying..... Perhaps I should give a Ping G400, G400 LST or G400 Max a try. I'd also be interested in the testing the Cobra King F9 (yellowjacket), and the Wilson Cortex. I know a couple of Ping players with a G400 model of some flavor and their driving distances have improved. As for the F9 and the Cortex -  can't say really except that I like the look (photos) of both. I have to like the look of any club before taking the next step. I don't normally buy new releases so the F9 will probably be a non-starter. The Cortex is rather expensive but I think the price will drop quickly on this club. We'll see. And yes... I will get fit if I decide to make a change.

The sldr is pretty low spin and not a real forgiving driver. Upgrading to something with more spin and forgiveness imo would increase that driver distance. G400 or g400 max would be good. A 2016 or 2017 m2 would be a possible good option if not wanting to drop new release money. The cobra f8 (non + model) is another 

12 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The sldr is pretty low spin and not a real forgiving driver. Upgrading to something with more spin and forgiveness imo would increase that driver distance. G400 or g400 max would be good. A 2016 or 2017 m2 would be a possible good option if not wanting to drop new release money. The cobra f8 (non + model) is another 

I have found my SLDR to be just the opposite as far as forgiving is concerned. Most forgiving driver I've ever played. Go figure. I play a highly lofted driver (SLDR 14*) adjusted to a 12* if that's really true. I'd like to have the loft measured where it's set and see. One of the main reasons a highly lofted driver works well for me is due to my natural ball position. I do not play the ball as far up in my stance as we're all taught and preached to do. I play the ball back slightly from an ideal forward position. I am able to produce a mid to mid-high draw ball flight. When I look at drivers I'm always looking for ones that are 12*. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 11/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, fixyurdivot said:

In answer to your question and based on my experience, an emphatic YES.  I held off upgrading to a new driver for WAY TOO LONG.  Played a GBB up until last February when I picked up a used Callaway Razr-Fit.  It has resulted in 10-15 additional yards but more importantly is the forgiveness of mishits.   260 vs. 450 cc hitting area makes a really big difference.  

This^^^

Distance will come when you start hitting near the center of the face or sweet spot. Once you start hitting them flush you’ll start to get more relax and start whipping them good and hard. 

The biggest difference you’d see and feel is the forgiveness.  At impact larger volume head can deflect and turn to counteract the marginal shots and still keep them in play more times than not. Smaller heads even at the same mass can’t react the same way.

I play with 14* driver and have no issues hitting the ball off the deck, I notice that on off center hits they are more forgiving than 3wd of the same loft. 

I think when you talk distance you first have to start with mathematics. The furthest you can hope to carry a drive is 2 1/2 times your swing speed. If your swing speed is 90 mph your optimal carry on level ground with no wind would be 225. If you believe a new driver will push you past the mathematics you might be on a fools errand. However, if you are currently not measuring up to the mathematics then you could possibly benefit from a new driver.

If I were you I would get my swing analyzed. Are you setting the conditions to maximize your swing speed? If you have mechanical issues it won’t matter what you put in your hand. Ping cannot fix an inefficient swing. In my humble opinion the order of march should be FORM, FUNCTION followed by Equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:59 PM, tony@CIC said:

Hence the question: which has greater impact (no pun intended) on one's game: new driver technology or swing speed? My non analytical sense is that it's the latter, however,  in my case the newer technology benefited me with straighter drives. I use to game a G20 driver and just purchased a new Callaway GBB driver. While not the brand new technology of a G400 Max or the upcoming F-9 (which I'm coveting in yellow),  I only used it on 3 rounds before packing it away for the the winter, the 2 immediate benefits I saw were straighter drives. (moved the weight most of the way to a draw setting) and less side spin.  

Also my expectation was that I wouldn't be getting more distance initially with the new driver because I've slowed down my swing to correct my swing flaws. My winter objective will be working on SS  - so between that work, correcting the swing and the new driver I expect a dramatic increase in distance next spring.

I think it’s a combo. Proper sequencing will help increase the likelihood that one hits the center of the face and get better swing speed. New technology of face and head materials, shafts that brands are designing to pair up with the new heads to help maximize the design and improve both launch and spin as well as the better placed COG and better moi will all go into helping get some extra distance. Will it be a bunch? For some yes and for others not so much.

in my recent fittings I’ve seen most drivers over the last 3-4 years have very similar numbers. 2016 m2 took my carry numbers up from about 250 to 255ish, 917 kept carry in that area but improved dispersion then with some swing work I got a couple extra yards. Ping g400 with some more swing work added another couple yards carry. 

Just to add an interesting look at it comparing different models of Ping drivers over the years. Shafts are all the same because of the heads being designed differently. I like to think he is pretty unbiased towards manufacturers though. Youtube link below. Didnt see an embedded option for youtube on here. 

5 Year Ping Driver Test

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Pretty interesting video, especially since I have a G20 (now in the closet). Did Rick do a comparison across brands or just within the brands? 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

He has a few of these videos with different brands if you go on his channel.

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Pretty interesting video, especially since I have a G20 (now in the closet). Did Rick do a comparison across brands or just within the brands? 
He ended up doing the main 5 I believe. Really enjoyed the videos and was cool to see all the different heads over the years. Eventually would love to see him expand it into lower spinning heads and take the best performer from each year?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I see Rick is going to test the Wilson Cortex driver- the one he was on the judging panel for and chose this as the winner.

should be an interesting video and 'test'

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I see Rick is going to test the Wilson Cortex driver- the one he was on the judging panel for and chose this as the winner.

should be an interesting video and 'test'

I’m guessing it’s going to show good numbers, nothing that is significantly better than anything he’s tested and it won’t beat his g400

Rick will give an honest review and will point out what’s good and bad. He rarely slams a clubs performance and usually frames everything to let the viewer make their own decisions 

I’m guessing it’s going to show good numbers, nothing that is significantly better than anything he’s tested and it won’t beat his g400
Rick will give an honest review and will point out what’s good and bad. He rarely slams a clubs performance and usually frames everything to let the viewer make their own decisions 

What’s to slam? Each OEM has its own theory on what works and each golfer has his individual swing that will respond to differing head/shaft combos.

So what may work well for Shields won’t necessarily work as well for a 60 year old with a 90 mph SS. I give him credit for recognizing that and being good at pointing out strengths and weaknesses of different clubs.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

What’s to slam? Each OEM has its own theory on what works and each golfer has his individual swing that will respond to differing head/shaft combos.

So what may work well for Shields won’t necessarily work as well for a 60 year old with a 90 mph SS. I give him credit for recognizing that and being good at pointing out strengths and weaknesses of different clubs.

Nothing to slam but there been a review or two that he has done that either title or review somewhat slammed the brand. Iirc one was a TM release.

Archived