Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Gamesmanship

revkev

I just read an article on the ESPN website about Bill Parcells accusing Bill Walsh of "cheating" in a playoff game between the Giants and the 49er's.  The "cheating" consisted of intentional sabotaging their own (the 49er's) head sets so that the Giants couldn't use theirs.  Since the 49er's scripted their first 15 plays it gave them an advantage if both teams were down.  According to Parcells he told Walsh that he would call them on it if it happened again and that Walsh smiled and said something about a little gamesmanship.

Who knows how true the story is.  Walsh is dead and gone and so can't defend himself.  The Giants won the game in a rout.  It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

So why bring it up here?  Because golf is a sport that is known for its gamesmanship.  We had a rather lengthy and lively debate last spring about tour players marking or not marking their ball on the green in order to give their friend on tour an advantage while hitting a chip/pitch from just off.  That behavior could be considered a form of gamesmanship.  Here's the question though, when does "gamesmanship" become cheating?  If I'm jiggling coins in my pocket while my opponent is hitting or intentionally sharing false information (I nutted that 5 iron and came up shot of the pin - when it was a miss hit 6) is it cheating or gamesmanship?

I don't engage in gamesmanship anymore - there was a time when I did (when I was in my 20's) because that's what I learned to do - it was the way the game was played back then - it was the way any sport was played back then - push it to the edge of the rules and beyond and let the ref sort it out (only in golf there are no refs catching every play.)

I think it's cheating - rules are rules to make the fight fair for everyone - my goal when I'm in a competition is to play by the agreed upon rules and to assist my playing partners in doing the same thing - advising them before they commit an infraction - "Hey don't forget to put your ball mark back." rather than after the fact.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yeah I’m never going to screw someone Intentionally. Like if I see them cheating of course I’ll call them out on it. Also call them scum bags while doing said call out. But most of the time it’s honest mistakes. Nobody knows every single rule hell sometimes I screw them up also. If i make a noise and they screw up a shot I’ll let them take another. 

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I think it's cheating - rules are rules to make the fight fair for everyone - my goal when I'm in a competition is to play by the agreed upon rules and to assist my playing partners in doing the same thing - advising them before they commit an infraction - "Hey don't forget to put your ball mark back." rather than after the fact.

The first requirement for cheating to take place is to stipulate the recognition of rules.

If you bypass that step, the entire cheating possibility is off the table.

For a couple of decades, almost, the spiritual leader for sports in our area has been Bill Belichick.

He taught us all that if you're not cheating, you're not trying.

There’s still place for gamesmanship without cheating, more so in match play than stroke play. There’s ways to go about it without being a Richard.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There’s still place for gamesmanship without cheating, more so in match play than stroke play. There’s ways to go about it without being a Richard.

I could see that - the question is when does the line get crossed? I’ve played lots of match play the last couple of seasons. Give me a are what they are - I don’t have to ever give a putt and neither does my opponent. So I’m in on that kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 minutes ago, revkev said:

I could see that - the question is when does the line get crossed? I’ve played lots of match play the last couple of seasons. Give me a are what they are - I don’t have to ever give a putt and neither does my opponent. So I’m in on that kind of stuff.

Since you posted the thread I’ve been trying definite that line and it’s hard to. The jiggling change or items in the pocket, opening putter cover during opponents stroke, I wouldn’t do but probably wouldn’t be distracted by it either. 

For ne cheating is more about breaking rules, but I think being childish just so you could have a better chance at winning might be close to what I would consider the line of sportsmanship and being a Richard without really cheating 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I seldom play true tournaments anymore. Only the City Championship this year. But I do play competitive weekly at the club. That being we're always playing - gambling with various games/bets going on. We take it pretty seriously but still have fun. We also play by our own rules somewhat. ie... no returning to the tee, improved lies at times, etc. Gamesmanship? Yeah it's out there at times but usually in a good natured way. Sometimes very subtle. Personally I find saying nothing at all works wonders. Or perhaps just a low grunt after one of your opponents hits a low hook with 8 skins riding and two Nassau presses on the line. Gotta love this game!  

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have no idea why I was awake at 4:00 am thinking about this thread, but if I ever figure out what goes on in my head I'll let you know.

With regards to "gamesmanship" in golf, google isn't help me find the origin of this quote, but not long after I started playing golf someone told me, "golf is 90% mental, and the other 10% is between your ears."  Whether that is attributed to Lee Trevino, or someone else, I really am not sure, and cannot verify, but whomever coined it first, I've taken that to heart over the years and tried to remember it whenever the game of golf turns competitive against another individual in a match.

Let me start by saying that when I am playing a casual round of golf, and there are no stakes on the line, I generally am there to have fun with a buddy and won't try and fill their head with random thoughts that might take their game off track.  It's honestly all situational too.  I will do my best to stay out of your way, and to help you enjoy your round as best as I can.  Now, if you are getting on my nerves with behavior that bothers me, whether you realize it or not, that's a different story.  Example:  if you play really slow, and are slowing everyone down.  If you play like that, all bets are off, and I'll find a way to either speed you up, make you uncomfortable, or make sure I put thoughts in your head that will remind you that you are holding up the show.  And if you play bad because of it, good.  Slow play is my biggest pet peeve, and if you choose to play slow I am offended by it, no matter if it's your normal pace, or whatever the reason is that you play slow.

Now with that said, I will say that there are times when I will intentionally put myself in a situation where I know the pace of play will be slow.  Because if I can condition myself to play slower intentionally, when it is caused by outside influences out of my control, I know that the next tournament where it's slow I'll be in a better frame of mind to handle the slow pace, and perhaps it won't affect my game negatively.

Gamesmanship comes into play when I am involved in a match with someone else for any sort of stakes.  It could be a dollar for the match, a dollar a hole, or just playing to see who picks up the check for dinner.  What's amazing to me is how someone can play so poorly with nothing on the line, but then you bet them dinner and all of a sudden they are playing lights out.  How the gamesmanship comes into play is often subtle, and my competitor may not even realize that I am trying to get inside of their head.  As an example, if we are on a hole with bunkers, trees, or water and I am first on the tee, I may make a comment before hitting, saying something like, "man, I hope I don't hit it left into that lake."  Or I'll say something like, "geez, those trees on the right would be impossible to fly over to cut this dogleg."

You are pointing out hazards that your competitor might not have even thought of or considered, but now that you've mentioned it, it's in their head.  Next thing you know - boom, they hit it in the water, or bunker, or are playing Robin Hood in the trees.  I've seen it happen time and time again too.  There are a ton of things you can say along these lines to influence someone else.  As the match goes on or the longer you get to know someone, the easier it is to know which buttons to push to influence their golf game one way or another.

I've got a co-worker who is a golfer, and when I first started working here we went out and played a handful of times and he beat me every time.  He'd come back to the office and say, "You and Tiger Woods, baby." meaning that neither I nor Tiger Woods had ever beaten him.  Of course he's never played Tiger Woods, but that's his mentality.  Well, after hearing this for the better part of two years I finally went out and smoked him on the golf course.  I didn't have to say a word all round, but just kept making pars.  He'd make his pars, but by the 7th or 8th hole this was wearing on him mentally, and you could see his head spinning as I wasn't going away, and then he'd press and attempt some shot he couldn't pull off, and then walk off that hole with a double bogey.  That was all I needed, and I just kept pressing him with simple pars, and he was now forced to try and birdie something, which he couldn't do.  His other tactic was to wait until like the 14th hole and mention the score between the two of us.  He was assuming that I wasn't aware of our standing in the match, but he'd say something like, "wow, this is a really tight match.  I'm only two back of you."  After he employed this strategy a number of times to try and get in my head, I learned to reply by saying, "Yeah, you're two down now, but you'll be three down after I par this hole."  And so it goes everytime we play.  What's fascinating about this situation is that we play less and less now, because after I beat him the first time he hasn't beat me since.  And I've noticed that his invites to play golf with him have gone away or become very sporadic or minimal.  I have another friend who knows this guy and he says that my co-worker friend doesn't like to be beaten on the golf course, so that's why he doesn't invite me out to play with him anymore.  But yeah, if you're gonna talk trash at work about me never beating you, I'm gonna beat you to a pulp on the golf course, and going forward I've got that stupid expression in my head to remind me of why I need to kick your butt on the golf course everytime and show you no mercy.  We may not have any stakes on the line, but your trash talk is enough for me to want to go out and bludgeon you every time.

I've got another friend who plays with me all the time, and he's about a 15 handicap, and is about 9 shots or so worse than me.  We play every now and then and I know his goal is to beat me straight up.  Frankly, he should have beaten me a week ago when we played and I shot 96, but he was worse and shot 101.  But he should have beaten me.  This friend is mentally weak though, and there have been a few times when he's been neck and neck with me when I am having an off day on the course, and grinding out an 86 or something.  We'll get to the 16th hole and all I have to do is mention that he is even with me on the scorecard, and then he goes out and finished double bogey, double bogey.  I've seen that trainwreck finish a few times before, and that is honestly not my intention to get him to play bad, but just mentioning the score simply gets in his head and the pressure is too much for him.  Lately I've actually gone the other way with him and I actually do want him to beat me at least once.  But I've told him that and also have said that he's going to have to earn it and I'm not going to lay down and give it to him.  It's just real frustrating to see him struggle so much, but hopefully there will be a day when I'll be off my game and he'll be playing good and can best me on the course.  Only time will tell.

But yeah, in an overall situation, just mentioning someone's score during the round if they are playing really good can get in someone's head.  We were playing in a foursomes tournament against the eventual winners of the tournament who went out in 29.  On the 10th tee I mentioned that I had them for a 29 on the front, and you could see one of the guys in that group get pissed off, because he was in such a zone that he didn't want to know.  I sort of knew that, but I also said words of encouragement for them to keep it up as I'd like to see them set some sort of record.  But in the back of my mind I had no problem messing with these two guys, because they had the personality of a rock.  No personality whatsoever and they didn't say two words to us the whole match.  If you act like a douche on the golf course, you deserve to have your head screwed with, even in subtle ways.

Well, I'll end this by saying that overall I try to be as encouraging as possible in a round of golf.  I recognize that this game is incredibly hard in general, and we all need all the encouragement we can get.  But bet me something, and it's on baby.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I certainly understand the concept of "gamesmanship", especially when playing a casual round with buds.   In such a scenario, it may be expected and taken with the proper good nature as just fun among friends.  In other circumstances, my concern is that, while not cheating, "gamesmanship" can be counter to good "sportsmanship."    In most dictionaries, "sportsmanship" is defined as a conduct, a conduct based on fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing.  

From my perspective, "gamesmanship" may define one's reputation, while "sportsmanship" may define one's character.   It was John Wooden that said: "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."  

Currently, as it relates to golf and the effort to introduce the game to youngsters, good sportsmanship is important not only as a practice of good etiquette and respect but it also helps teach the young good behavior that carries over into other aspects or life. 

Perhaps, in the end, do you want to be remembered as a good "gamesman" or a good  "sportsman".

I certainly understand the concept of "gamesmanship", especially when playing a casual round with buds.   In such a scenario, it may be expected and taken with the proper good nature as just fun among friends.  In other circumstances, my concern is that, while not cheating, "gamesmanship" can be counter to good "sportsmanship."    In most dictionaries, "sportsmanship" is defined as a conduct, a conduct based on fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing.  
From my perspective, "gamesmanship" may define one's reputation, while "sportsmanship" may define one's character.   It was John Wooden that said: "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."  
Currently, as it relates to golf and the effort to introduce the game to youngsters, good sportsmanship is important not only as a practice of good etiquette and respect but it also helps teach the young good behavior that carries over into other aspects or life. 
Perhaps, in the end, do you want to be remembered as a good "gamesman" or a good  "sportsman".

Gamesmanship is done at all levels. Two players known for it are Tiger and Seve. There is a gray line when it comes to what should and shouldn’t be done, but I don’t think you will ever get rid of if.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Gamesmanship is done at all levels. Two players known for it are Tiger and Seve. There is a gray line when it comes to what should and shouldn’t be done, but I don’t think you will ever get rid of if.

Yeah it’s not going anywhere in any sport and the line is very grey. What might be crossing it to one person is nothing for someone else. 

Baseball has tried to eliminate it. Stuff I was taught to do particularly in American Legion Ball and college is now illegal - taking the middle infielder out with your slide at second, plowing into the catcher (I wish they had that rule when I was playing), hitting the next guy up after a home run.

Golf though is different - I’m with Plaid - the less said in competition the better. I’m not paying much attention to what’s said around me either (as it pertains to golf.)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

Baseball has tried to eliminate it. Stuff I was taught to do particularly in American Legion Ball and college is now illegal - taking the middle infielder out with your slide at second, plowing into the catcher (I wish they had that rule when I was playing), hitting the next guy up after a home run.

Golf though is different - I’m with Plaid - the less said in competition the better. I’m not paying much attention to what’s said around me either (as it pertains to golf.)

I’ve played in some club championships on a military base over the last 22 years and the formats changed a bit since I started. It was two rounds of stroke play with top 16 in each flight making it to match play which was then played each of the following weekends (both days for) as match play. If someone in a lower flight scored good enough to be in top 16 of the flight above they were moved up. I’m with you on not saying much in golf when playing against someone I don’t know. My very first match the guy was the #3 seed. He wanted to be like the pros, wore the pants and polo and walked. In this area it’s hot and humid in the summer. Combine that with the slow play and I didn’t have to worry about much, he pretty much broke him self worrying about pace of play and by 13 the match was over.

my normal group we play several games depending on if we are a 3 or 4 ball. We definitely razz each other in fun, and we may double down on a bet from the fairway or tee to mess with the other duo into possibly taking a sucker bet.  Golf is a gentleman’s game and I think if it gets approached from that perspective  the gamesmanship can be quite minimal and whatever is there isn’t anything I would consider cheating. 

So let's start working on defining where the line is. Here's a good place to start, in my estimation: anything done to disrupt a competitor during the swing (including the immediate pre-shot) is over the line. So I'd put coin-jingling on the wrong side of the line. For the same reason, purposefully being in someone's field of vision is over the line.

As for gamesmanship itself, we have to distinguish (and some have mentioned something like this) friendly gamesmanship vs. really competitive gamesmanship. When we're just playing with the guys, and yet there is still the desire to win, legitimate gamesmanship is a lot broader. Even here, I'd not want to endorse full-on deceit: for instance, lying about what club you used. But good-natured attempts to get in your opponent's head are fun, whether razzing him about hazards, or even talking about how great he's been putting all day.

The more that's on the line, the narrower the field of legitimate gamesmanship, in my opinion. And this can get slippery. I think the kind of legitimate head games you play with a buddy should probably stop if he's closing in on a personal best, for instance.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I once had a regular playing partner who had played major college football.  We were both recently out of college, working for the same company and shared a passion for golf.  Given his football career, he was ultra-competitive.  I just enjoyed playing the game as a release from the day-to-day stresses of adulthood.  I still find that to be true of myself today. 

He routinely attempted to needle me into one thing or another.  Needling is something I have never been susceptible to in any form or fashion.  I couldn't care less what someone else thinks of me and I am extremely comfortable with who I am.  I don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone at any time.  Evidently, this drove my playing partner crazy!

He couldn't understand why I would never "rise to his challenge."  His constant needling and "gamesmanship" never affected my play nor did I ever respond.  He could never grasp that in my opinion, his "challenges" and "gamesmanship" were more indicative of his own insecurities than some perceived fault of my own.    

He eventually began to find excuses to never play with me.  I haven't missed anything and hadn't thought of him until reading the first few posts of this thread.

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I once had a regular playing partner who had played major college football.  We were both recently out of college, working for the same company and shared a passion for golf.  Given his football career, he was ultra-competitive.  I just enjoyed playing the game as a release from the day-to-day stresses of adulthood.  I still find that to be true of myself today. 

He routinely attempted to needle me into one thing or another.  Needling is something I have never been susceptible to in any form or fashion.  I couldn't care less what someone else thinks of me and I am extremely comfortable with who I am.  I don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone at any time.  Evidently, this drove my playing partner crazy!

He couldn't understand why I would never "rise to his challenge."  His constant needling and "gamesmanship" never affected my play nor did I ever respond.  He could never grasp that in my opinion, his "challenges" and "gamesmanship" were more indicative of his own insecurities than some perceived fault of my own.    

He eventually began to find excuses to never play with me.  I haven't missed anything and hadn't thought of him until reading the first few posts of this thread.

Going meta: is immunity to gamesmanship itself a form of gamesmanship? 🤔

Full WITB with pictures

50 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I am ultra competitive like your college football buddy, but I don't think I would "needle" anyone. I enjoy and thrive on the competitive aspect of golf but if I won because I got into your head and made you lose, I didn't win. Personally, I think that while the rules may not prohibit it,  there is no place for gamesmanship. It feels like cheaing. If I have to bend the rules to win, I probably shouldn't be winning. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

43 minutes ago, mpatrickriley said:

Ha! I like the way you think. Overly analytical just like me.

Now, to answer your question, no, gamesmanship is usually defined as bending the rules for your advantage. Ignoring someone else's unscrupulous actions is not bending the rules, it actually reduces gamesmanship by rendering it ineffective. 

59 minutes ago, mpatrickriley said:

Interesting thought and very well played.  You have rendered me unproductive for the remainder of the day!

34 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Now, to answer your question, no, gamesmanship is usually defined as bending the rules for your advantage. Ignoring someone else's unscrupulous actions is not bending the rules, it actually reduces gamesmanship by rendering it ineffective. 

In the spirit of over-analyticalness, I'm going to have to contest your definition 🙂.

Some gamesmanship is, as you note, on the border of the rules. So if next year, Bryson insists on putting with the flag in just to mess with his playing partners, he's using the rules to get into his opponents' heads. But I think there are clear instances of gamesmanship that don't involve rule-bending. When I tell a guy, "Wow, you've really got some round going!", that's gamesmanship, but I don't see that as getting close to any rules.

So if I know that being unfazed by my opponent's gamesmanship will likely throw him off his game, and do it in part for that reason, isn't that also gamesmanship?

Full WITB with pictures

In golf I engage in a healthy dose of gamesmanship when I play events at my club.  Nothing over the top, but enough to get inside people's heads.  

When I played football I did anything I could to gain an advantage and lived by the rule that it was not a penalty until it was called.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

38 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I agree.  Moreover, over the year's, its my observation that most "gamers" are known to be "gamers", they typically fool no one.   There was a member of a club where I played that had the reputation of being a "gamer".   He played in most of the individual MGA events, but was rarely seen in two man or team events.  With his reputation, most other members thought he was a rectal opening and didn't want to play with him.  

I'm guess many use gamesmanship to compensate for their lack of playing ability, its the only way they think they can win.   When I recognize an attempt to get in my head (they don't know that I play empty headed because its best for me not to be thinking), it has an impact opposite of its intent.   I sometimes want to ask: do you really think you need to do that to beat me; do you really think I play that good.   Thanks, you've given me a bit more confidence.

33 minutes ago, mpatrickriley said:

In the spirit of over-analyticalness, I'm going to have to contest your definition 🙂.

Some gamesmanship is, as you note, on the border of the rules. So if next year, Bryson insists on putting with the flag in just to mess with his playing partners, he's using the rules to get into his opponents' heads. But I think there are clear instances of gamesmanship that don't involve rule-bending. When I tell a guy, "Wow, you've really got some round going!", that's gamesmanship, but I don't see that as getting close to any rules.

So if I know that being unfazed by my opponent's gamesmanship will likely throw him off his game, and do it in part for that reason, isn't that also gamesmanship?

Is telling someone that they have a great round going gamesmanship though? If it is merely a statement of fact that the player should be aware of, it shouldn't throw him off his game since he knows it already, therefore, it shouldn't be considered gamesmanship. 

Secondly, is the intent of not being fazed by gamesmanship to throw the opponent off his game. If not, it automatically isn't gamesmanship. If so, isn't the first person being affected by their gamesmanship as opposed to yours? If they hadn't used gamesmanship on you, they wouldn't be affected.

In case you can't tell, I love discussing semantics. I find them fascinating.  

Is telling someone that they have a great round going gamesmanship though? If it is merely a statement of fact that the player should be aware of, it shouldn't throw him off his game since he knows it already, therefore, it shouldn't be considered gamesmanship. 
Secondly, is the intent of not being fazed by gamesmanship to throw the opponent off his game. If not, it automatically isn't gamesmanship. If so, isn't the first person being affected by their gamesmanship as opposed to yours? If they hadn't used gamesmanship on you, they wouldn't be affected.
In case you can't tell, I love discussing semantics. 
In both cases, intent is essential. Making the observation that my partner has a good round going, and watching him subsequently blow it up, is only gamesmanship if I purposed to influence his play.

The same is true with being unfazed by another's shenanigans. If he's doing stuff and it just doesn't register with me, that's one thing. But if I notice he's trying to mess with me, and I want my cool response to rattle him a bit, I'm playing the game within the game.

Full WITB with pictures

There was a thread where a discussion was about golf being a venue where one could get to really know someone.   As I stated, I started playing golf because I perceived it to be a business necessity, but became addicted to the game.   Over my professional life, I continued to use golf as a means to get to know current or anticipated business associates.   On such occasion, if someone felt the need to use gamesmanship as opposed to relying on their skills, it would give me pause about entering a business arrangement with them.  

3 minutes ago, mpatrickriley said:

In both cases, intent is essential. Making the observation that my partner has a good round going, and watching him subsequently blow it up, is only gamesmanship if I purposed to influence his play.

The same is true with being unfazed by another's shenanigans. If he's doing stuff and it just doesn't register with me, that's one thing. But if I notice he's trying to mess with me, and I want my cool response to rattle him a bit, I'm playing the game within the game.

Yeah, I agree with that. Intent is the key. 

Permit me to ask: in a genuine competition as opposed to a casual round with buds, if one were to say to their opponent: there's water on the right, you do want to go there, or theres a bunker about 240 out, be careful.    Could that be considered giving advice and perhaps subject to a penalty.

10 minutes ago, TheWahoo said:

Permit me to ask: in a genuine competition as opposed to a casual round with buds, if one were to say to their opponent: there's water on the right, you do want to go there, or theres a bunker about 240 out, be careful.    Could that be considered giving advice and perhaps subject to a penalty.

100% that is giving advice and would be subject to a penalty. If it was intended to be gamesmanship, I would call them out on it every time. If not, I am usually fairly forgiving about rules in tournaments so I would probably let it slide. 

1 hour ago, TheWahoo said:

Giving distances is permitted. The other is a violation 

Archived