TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is the best Sand Wedge Ever? (Green side bunker shots only)

Sen

Like title says, I'm finding out after 10 rounds or so I only ever use my 54 sand wedge like twice in 10 rounds. Since I'm only ever using it in the bunker, I wanna see if I can optimize that spot. I do not need anything for pitching/chipping/versatility. Purely for sand magic, whether it is stiff bunker from cheap courses or soft bunkers from the snooty ones, what sand wedge will you always rely on and never sell? Let me know, please. 

My Dad has one that had a “sand paper-like” face on it! Hilarious! Talk about SPIN! Only had to replace your ball after every OTHER shot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My favorite sand wedge ever was a Cleveland 900 gunmetal 58*

Best wedge ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Ping Eye 2 for me

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Here is a great MGS article on the best specialty sand wedges: https://mygolfspy.com/nfomercial-wedge-test-mygolfspy/

According to the article, the best specialty sand wedge is the C3I with Cleveland Smartsole following closely behind. A traditional wedge and the Callaway Sure Out finished in a distant 3rd and 4th respectively. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

For me it's the Cleveland Smartsole. Money for me out of a greenside bunker.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

... Since you never hit the ball on the face the only thing that matters, other than looking good to your eye of course, is the sole grind. If you get that right for your swing, any wedge will be sand magic. The fly in the ointment happens when you play in different regions than you do at home. Some Florida courses use very soft sand and the more bounce the better. Then in Phoenix most courses have little if any sand, so the less bounce the better. I have additional travel wedges I use to address those situations. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I can't say what's the best ever. I'd imagine each of us have or have had a few during our careers. Our wedges tend to change often too. At least as far replacement is concerned. I play what might be considered mid or low-bounce wedges. In my area I mostly play on firm bermuda turf and tight-firm bunkers mostly. However, there are two holes on my home course where the green and surrounding bunkers were redesigned a few years ago. The bunkers were poorly designed for starters and the sand.... well imagine this - you gouge-out some holes around the greens and then back up a dump truck and fill them with sand. It's like walking on sand dunes!! The sand will cover your shoes. It's ridiculous. I probably should buy myself a C3i wedge for these two holes only. Fortunately I rarely find my ball in them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I find it truly amazing that of all the frequent contributors to our forum,

I seem to be the only one to have a serious preference for a very curved leading edge in the sand.

Maybe age had something to do with it.

The old sand irons back in the day were oval-faced clubs.

Then people started hitting those higher lofted irons/wedges from the grass,

because they were now playing to stop the ball instead of running it up,

and the leading edges straightened out to accommodate that.

Most didn't want to take up a space in their set for a sand-specific club, but even at that,

somebody must have noticed what a curved leading edge does in the sand.

This must have changed long enough ago that most modern players never used a round sand iron.

Interesting convos, those with a bigger sole and "cavity back" like smart sole. Do you think you had more issues controlling the distance out of the bunker? How about spin? I'd think the design makes it spin a lot less? 

4 minutes ago, Sen said:

Interesting convos, those with a bigger sole and "cavity back" like smart sole. Do you think you had more issues controlling the distance out of the bunker? How about spin? I'd think the design makes it spin a lot less? 

... Sen again, out of the bunker the cavity back design is irrelevant. Since the only thing touching the sand is the sole on a standard sand shot, the determining factor for spin is technique, speed and how close to the ball you make contact. The cavity back comes into play on full swings as well as chips and pitches. 

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

.. Sen again, out of the bunker the cavity back design is irrelevant. Since the only thing touching the sand is the sole on a standard sand shot, the determining factor for spin is technique, speed and how close to the ball you make contact. The cavity back comes into play on full swings as well as chips and pitches. 

Totally skipped what you mentioned earlier, this makes a lot of sense. Like you mentioned earlier though, AZ has many hard bunkers with the consistency of what I would say..."mud" on them. The ones that makes your club skids and spews out mud splatters instead of sand shots, do you think the design is a little more important? I too carry a relatively low bounce (6) for sand in AZ, anything bigger just make me think it'd kick up and blade the thing across the green or worse, ride the lip back and hit me in the face 🙂

... Sure, if you are picking it clean and mishit the ball out of a hardpan lie in a Phoenix bunker, the cavity back might help some. But it is such a short shot the effect will be minimal. And of course if it is a thin layer of wet sand, you are digging with the leading edge so again the only thing hitting the ball is the wet sand and the cavity design is irrelevant. 

The best sand iron is the one you practice with.  As in you need to practice to be a good sand player regardless of the wedge that you use.  No "magic" about it.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I find it truly amazing that of all the frequent contributors to our forum,

I seem to be the only one to have a serious preference for a very curved leading edge in the sand.

Maybe age had something to do with it.

The old sand irons back in the day were oval-faced clubs.

Then people started hitting those higher lofted irons/wedges from the grass,

because they were now playing to stop the ball instead of running it up,

and the leading edges straightened out to accommodate that.

Most didn't want to take up a space in their set for a sand-specific club, but even at that,

somebody must have noticed what a curved leading edge does in the sand.

This must have changed long enough ago that most modern players never used a round sand iron.

I really wouldn't know, Nifty. I started playing golf at 40. I'm 59 now. All I have ever played... and still do, is Vokey  wedges.  I use a 54* in the sand the majority of the time.

1958  Wilson staff or older 588 Clevelands---- I am also a fan of several older Hogan Sand wedges---- The problem around here is the consistency of the sand even on the same course and sometimes between the bunkers on the same green. Lately I have been carrying a NOS Macgregor LRA 56 which is an older wedge but mine is brand new. It has basically a neutral sole grind and low bounce. Most versatile wedge I have ever seen.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I go back and forth but the CBX is fantastic for greenside bunkers. The only reason I take it out sometimes is bc of utilization. I prefer a more traditional wedge for chipping, etc. if I’m playing a heavily bunkered course, my 58* CBX will always be there

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’ll second that. The CBX has been great out of the sand for me as well. That is coming from a guy who only hits bunker shots during a round.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

13 hours ago, silver & black said:

I really wouldn't know, Nifty. I started playing golf at 40. I'm 59 now. All I have ever played... and still do, is Vokey  wedges.  I use a 54* in the sand the majority of the time.

I started playing at fourteen and I'm seventy-two, S&B.

So yes, I guess the oval sand irons were definitely before your time.

The reduced sand resistance was the thing. The curved leading edge cut a groove through the sand.

It splashed a rooster tail of sand instead of a huge cloud, whether the face was square or laid open.

So while the Rev is absolutely correct about practice being the key, the modern, all-purpose wedge makes it a lot easier

to leave your shot in the bunker if you don't.

It's not just about sand saves.  It's  about putting on the next shot.

Many seniors simply cannot practice much.  If they do, they've nothing left to actually play.

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Many seniors simply cannot practice much.  If they do, they've nothing left to actually play.

Hmmm I hope some of our members don't see this. We have several in their late 70's that are on the range almost every day then will go out and play 18. We also have s a 94 yr old who not only practices almost every day and plays 9 - but also take lessons as well (now there's an optimist).  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

39 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Hmmm I hope some of our members don't see this. We have several in their late 70's that are on the range almost every day then will go out and play 18. We also have s a 94 yr old who not only practices almost every day and plays 9 - but also take lessons as well (now there's an optimist).  

I believe you, Tony, but....

many seniors simply cannot practice much.  If they do, they've nothing left to actually play.

Anyway, the point is that if you're willing to use up one of your  fourteen allotted  clubs

for a sand-shot-specific club,

the old-fashioned oval-faced sand iron is still the easiest club to use for purely structural reasons.

These Edel wedges are ridiculous. They sand off all of that heel that EVERY other company has on their wedges, and by doing this, one can lay-open the wedge and get it the flattest to the ground I’ve ever seen! No leading edge halfway up the golf ball! They’re so versatile, probably the most in the market. I love mine, and this is my second set of them.

No need to send a wedge off for grinding and pay extra, you can buy it this way!!!!IMG_7129.thumb.PNG.488570894efeff37c0837bc6eb9f6f6a.PNG

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

These Edel wedges are ridiculous. They sand off all of that heel that EVERY other company has on their wedges, and by doing this, one can lay-open the wedge and get it the flattest to the ground I’ve ever seen! No leading edge halfway up the gold ball! They’re so versatile, probably the most in the market. I love mine, and this is my second set of them.
No need to send a wedge off for grinding and pay extra, you can buy it this way!!!!IMG_7129.thumb.PNG.488570894efeff37c0837bc6eb9f6f6a.PNG

There is an Edel fifty 6 in the most wanted wedge testing. I was impressed when I tested this club. I am not sure what grid it has, but it did sit flat on the ground. Very noticeable compared to the others and it also had more of a rounded leading edge.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

These Edel wedges are ridiculous. They sand off all of that heel that EVERY other company has on their wedges, and by doing this, one can lay-open the wedge and get it the flattest to the ground I’ve ever seen! No leading edge halfway up the gold ball! They’re so versatile, probably the most in the market. I love mine, and this is my second set of them.
No need to send a wedge off for grinding and pay extra, you can buy it this way!!!!IMG_7129.PNG

Nooooo, now I need new wedges!!!

That is a seriously good idea. I always struggle opening my wedges up really far without hitting the heel into the ground and twisting the face closed. This will solve that problem. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

Best sand wedge is the one that gives you the most confidence to hit the shot.  The wand must match the wizard.

... That is just awesome and I am gonna steal that line Shankster! 

Just saw these Harry Taylor Wedges from MGGOlf.com.....

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-wedges/

Has anyone tried them?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder