Sen

What is the best Sand Wedge Ever? (Green side bunker shots only)

3 hours ago, chisag said:

I think it just comes down to personal preference, at least from the sand but onset from a rounded leading edge on chips and pitches is something most better players would not find optimal and poor players should avoid at all costs. 

But if it were a sand dedicated club,  chips and pitches wouldn't be a consideration.

Again, I refer to the rooster tail of sand being displaced (as opposed to a giant cloud) because of an onset curved edge.

You can see that rooster tail on sand shots in ancient, sepia colored film.

But chisag is definitely right in that even seeing it with my own eyes and experiencing it in over fifty years of golf,

I'm still talking about my own game, not his far superior one.

I always included the sand iron with the driver, driving iron, and putter---shot specific  or "one-trick-pony" utility clubs not included in the set's overall linear loft progression.  I didn't play a chipper or run-up iron, but that could go into that group as well.

But what I really get out of this is that,  despite having silver hair,  chisag learned to play in the sand with a Tommy Armour 845 W4!

To me, that club falls into the "modern club" category,  so that's how old I am.

The 845 was one of those "tumble finish" clubs popular at the time.  It was a huge seller.

I remember  that guys with Eye 2s and Wilson 1200GEs added an 845 lob wedge to their bags because they cosmetically matched as far as finish and didn't have excessive offset for a lob wedge (as Ping's did once they offered one).

They later came out with a more conventional finish toward the end of their long run.

The Tommy Armour brand was a renaming of the old "PGA" brand of clubs

which itself was historically named "Victor,"  I believe.

For a short time, they were owned by the same company that owned Ram.

They somehow acquired the Tommy Armour brand from MacGregor which had made it famous.

I know this is out of left field but for my money and purely out of bunkers, the old Pure Spin diamond face wedges were money.  Not my favorite anywhere else though.  

I use a Wilson Sandy Andy. I’ve had this club for quite a while. It’s actually the third one I’ve owned and used. This is a 64 degree loft (stamped on the sole) with 4 degree bounce (also stamped on the sole). The club has a curved leading edge that really fits my eye. This is a club designed for sand, probably green side more so than anything else. If I really try and catch the ball pure from a fairway lie, I can get 60 yards tops, which is fine by me. I love hitting this club in green side bunkers because I know what to expect. I practice in my basement during the winter hitting little lofted chips at a target. This has resulted in me being able to pop a short sided shot over a bunker to a cup 6 feet on the green with no fear. It’s a result of the Sandy Andy and practice. Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland Smart Sole S. It's like magic. Absolutely worthless for pretty much any other shot, but amazing in the sand.

• Like 1

One of these...

usually the 54°/12°, but sometimes the 58/10 for those steep deep walls to a close pin. Or even the 50/10 for a longer throw. That’s probably not the way a “pro” would do it, but I don’t know any better...

sub70’s wedges have really been good 

02306248-7D16-4FE5-82BC-9D44D0F7146B.jpeg

On 11/17/2018 at 6:58 PM, tony@CIC said:

Ping Eye 2 for me emoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Oh sure, the one I opted not to buy with the set. Honestly I cannot recall why I didn't include that wedge but it may have been sticker shock - PE2's weren't exactly cheap at that time.  When my Dad passed away in 97, I began using his McGregor SW - what I was using prior to that I don't remember.  Yikes, it's starting 😱.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:19 AM, deejaid said:

I think maybe, and this is just my opinion, that before, sand wedges were thought of as merely specialty clubs and were designed to function better from specific lies, I.e. sand, heavy rough.

Now, sand wedges are used for full swings from the fairway many times as the modern game has become driver/wedge, so they made sand wedges more of an 11 or 12 iron as opposed to a specialized club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting.  I alway wondered what made a SW and SW.  Was there something unique to their design that made them better in sand than turf?  For instance, does the "SW" in a G410 series of wedge have a special geometry that makes it less playable on turf?

Use to just use the general purpose club marked SW for just getting out of bunkers because that's what it says it's for but it seems a waste just using a club for bunker shots which for me is maybe 1 shot a round. I evolved long ago to using a 56' wedge which has a bounce of 14'. This in most cases is enough to get me out of the bunker successfully. It is also a 100yd full shot, 60yd half shot and I use it to chip around the green. Open the face for a flop as well. I'm currently using Cleveland RTX 3.0 

The Tommy Armour Over n Out in 62* has been pretty spectacular for me so far- slightly curved leading edge, a bit of a v-sole, and with good heel and toe relief. It's surprisingly versatile as well- I've never been quite able to teach my sweetie my patented flop shot, but with this, she really doesn't need it.

Best SW EVER?

Is there any other option than the Wilson Sarazen R20?  That was on of the best clubs ever made (and had the retail life to prove it) and would be one that I would still be bagging if they still made them. I think they even did a copper head model at a few different points in history that gave an even softer feel to an already soft design. The only issue with them is that they tended to bend a bit if you used them too long, so you'd have to have the lofts and lies checked every season or two if you were really worried about that sort of thing back then.

For me it has to be the Nike vr x3x toe sweep!

Unique grind (although inspire I'm certan from Ping Eye 2) that is versatile outside the bunker and yet super easy to use the sand. Not even necessary to open the face. Ball pops right out!

Plus they can still be found new and for cheap!