Golfspy_CG2

25 More Yards or 3 Less Strokes Per Round

25 More Yards or 3 Less Putts Per Round  

26 members have voted

1. 1. If you could be guaranteed one of these every round, which would you choose on a permanent basis...think about your answer..it might not be obvious

• 25 yards more yards guaranteed on every drive during the round
    • 3 less strokes guaranteed on every round

So this was just a random off the wall topic today, that became quite an interesting discussion, with some sides and view points i didn't think of initially.  Say  the magic Golf Genie were to grant you ONE wish, you could have 25 more yards on every drive, or a guarantee drop of 3 strokes for each round.   Which would you choose, and most importantly why?

Remember to vote in the poll.  I guess app and TT users won't be able to see it. 

I'm going to go with the extra 25 yards, I play golf with my brother and usually beat him by at least few strokes, but lately he's been out driving me by about 10 or 15 yards, and that's just not right!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Can I say it depends on who I’m playing with haha. My head says I should take 3 Less strokes, especially since that would put me close to breaking 80...but my heart says I want 25 more yards per drive haha.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

My initial response would be the guaranteed 3 strokes less, especially if that has an accumulating factor over time.    Adding 25 yards to my drives still wouldn't be massive, so to speak, meaning I will still need to hit a good second shot.   So I would still be pleased to stay in the short grass off the tee, and enjoy what definitely  would be improvements to my short game and putting.

• Like 2

I would definitely choose the 3 less strokes. I hit the ball a reasonable distance already and I think 25 extra yards would put me at some awkward distances that I may not be able to hit closer than normal. Also, hitting it 25 yards farther doesn't guarantee lower scores and it also doesn't guarantee you'll hit the fairway. I am fine with 250 in the fairway as opposed to 275 in the woods. I do think that generally higher handicaps would take 25 yards because 3 shots isn't as many to a 20 HC and lower handicaps would take the shots because it'd mean a lot more to a 3 HC. 

• Like 3

I'll say the 25 yards as well.   I first thought the three strokes, but then realized if I can get 25 yards on some holes, I could go from hitting a hybrid to a 6 or possibly 7 iron, or from hitting a 8 iron to hitting a PW or GW, and might get more than 3 birdie opportunities.   And besides the confidence boost from those 25 yards might help the rest of the game.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'll say the 25 yards as well.   I first thought the three strokes, but then realized if I can get 25 yards on some holes, I could go from hitting a hybrid to a 6 or possibly 7 iron, or from hitting a 8 iron to hitting a PW or GW, and might get more than 3 birdie opportunities.   And besides the confidence boost from those 25 yards might help the rest of the game.  

Same thought process for me.

• Like 1

Three fewer strokes? BOOM! I'm at a 3 handicap, beating the goal for a 4 by a full stroke! Heck yeah!!! 

Folks may discount the 25 yards right off the bat, but that's a 2 club gain on approach shots. Going from an 8 iron to a PW, or possibly a 7 iron to a PW, is huge! It doesn't guarantee a reduction in overall average scores, but that would help for sure!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Three fewer strokes? BOOM! I'm at a 3 handicap, beating the goal for a 4 by a full stroke! Heck yeah!!! 

Folks may discount the 25 yards right off the bat, but that's a 2 club gain on approach shots. Going from an 8 iron to a PW, or possibly a 7 iron to a PW, is huge! It doesn't guarantee a reduction in overall average scores, but that would help for sure!

That was my thought behind, increased chances for possibly more than 3. 

7 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I'm assuming if you choose the yardage that you can still drop strokes?

yes, if you earn the dropped strokes, by hitting it closer.  Se PMookies reply above, which was the reason I went with that option. 

25 yards with the same accuracy? If so I would take the 25. I am relatively long now. 25 yards would put me in reach of most par 5s in two with less than a 3 wood and most par 4s with a wedge. I think I could make up the 3 and possibly more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

25 yards. If I don't make up for the 3 strokes with that gain in 25 yards then I should retire. 

• Like 5

I'll take the 25 yards.  Carrying the driver over 300 would be fun and it would force me to focus even more on my wedge game, which could definitely drop my scores more than 3.

Now if you said drop my handicap by 3, I'd take that.

• Like 2

How do you suppose you’re going to gain 3 strokes?

somethings going to magically change isn’t it?

somethings going to get better. So obviously you will have other chances to go even lower too. But just 25 more yards is only one aspect. 3 strokes can be putting better, chipping, whatever.. take the 3...

• Like 2

Does my 25 extra yards translate to any other parts of my game? Will I hit my irons a little further was well?

• Like 2

No question in my mind - I'll take the 3 strokes over the 25 yds.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I am taking the 3 strokes without question.  The only way I would be enticed by the extra 25yds. is if the 25yds is also guaranteed to be in the fairway.  Hitting from the trees is the same even if it is closer to the hole.

• Like 1

I only hit 22% or GIR now.  25 yards for me.  That will more than make up the 3 strokes.  It might mean an extra birdie chances, par saves, or eliminate those bogeys or worse.

• Like 1