Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Technique for short pitches on soft ground

cnosil

Biggest problem for me is hitting those 10-70 yard partial wedge shots when the ground is wet.  Typically I hit down on the ball trying to use the bounce like a bunker shot to make sure I get under the ball. Now that the ground is starting to remain a bit wetter I am going right under the ball and getting no distance.

How do you approach this distance?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Mid to high bounce lob wedge is a good start. Low bounce is harder because it’ll cut through the mush like a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My wedges have very little bounce, so I close the face a bit, aim a little more to the right, and I don’t try to cut under the ball, I play it more off the toe, club a little more upright. This makes sure I’m not fat, nor will I go under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

30 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Mid to high bounce lob wedge is a good start. Low bounce is harder because it’ll cut through the mush like a knife.

Should have said,  my 54 has 14* and my 58 has 12*.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Should have said,  my 54 has 14* and my 58 has 12*.   

Well nevermind then. You are already there.

It’s a delicate shot. I can tell you when I played at a tournament with extremely wet conditions you had to be extremely precise on all iron shots. My method under those type of conditions is to try and hit ball first and make solid contact.

I will tell you that in that tournament I shot 83, and won the gross flight. There were a lot of scores in the high 80s and 90s for that very reason. Mushy, mud pit fairways are extremely hard to score from.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Following, have had several instances like this. My grinds are somewhat aggressive which I "feel" makes the problem worse. That's from my own detective work on my game so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I'd use an 8 iron with a much shorter swing so you don't have the variance of a harder swing with a wedge. If it is very wet, the greens are probably pretty soft so stopping the 8 iron shouldn't be too big of a problem. It really take the pressure off striking the ball perfectly with a wedge. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

For soft conditions I have a 58* vokey K grind with 14* of bounce...the k grind is really nice for this type shots

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

This has me so frustrated I actually sought out internet video advice on YouTube. Basic assessment seems to be that it is hard and to swing harder or take a lower lofted club to make solid contact.

I avoid hitting down on wet grass with chip/pitches. I try not to take divots with these shots regardless of wet or dry. The closer to the green the less loft I use and as I move away I use bigger swings with ball middle to forward in the stance.

I am a fan of Andrew Rice. He has done good YouTube and social media videos talking about wedge play

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm assuming you're talking about the actual ground and not the grass correct? When the ground under the grass is wet and muddish (could be a word), I don't think that hitting down at the ball is a bad thing. A few others made comments about lower lofted clubs which does work and I'll use a 9i if I'm trying to bump and run across a long green. When the pin's closer and I want more control, I've always had success with a de-lofted 60* or 56*. 

Unlike a bunker shot, I'll stand up a little taller with my feet closer together (inside my shoulders) and place the ball inside my rear heel. 90% of the weight on your front foot. Apply the hinge and hold technique ala Phil Mickelson. Hinge the wrists to create the back swing and then lead with the butt end of the club to keep your hands in front of your body. Very light grip as you want to feel the heft of the club doing the work. ALWAYS be sure and connect with the ball first and taking a chunky divot after the ball is in the air isn't going to hurt you. Even though the ball won't go way up in the air, it will check up as you're creating extra spin and is a very controllable shot. 

This video is such a fundamental for the short game. Cheers!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I very rarely play in those conditions.  Turf around here is firm and dry.  If it wet just after a rain or when the sprinklers have been on all night, the grass is wet but the turf isn't soggy.  I usually play a low shot into most all greens, only using a high wedge shot when I have to.  I will play ala Steve Stricker with very little wrist set; a little more when longer distance though.

It seems to me that when feet are close together; weight on forward leg; ball just inside back foot; club fairly neutral; and minimal wrist set, there is not much to go wrong.  Club is shallow going through the ball, and distance is controlled by how big the swing is.  That's my usual technique.  Will that be a problem in wet conditions??

I know many of you guys back east play in these condition a lot, and I am following your techniques because when I travel, I do run into wet turf and I'm never sure about how to play that shot.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a believer in if you have good contact i.e hit the ball first it doesn't matter if it's wet, dry, soggy etc

The conditions mess with your head more than the contact 😏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm a believer in if you have good contact i.e hit the ball first it doesn't matter if it's wet, dry, soggy etc

I very rarely play in those conditions.  Turf around here is firm and dry.  .
It seems to me that when feet are close together; weight on forward leg; ball just inside back foot; club fairly neutral; and minimal wrist set, there is not much to go wrong.  Club is shallow going through the ball, and distance is controlled by how big the swing is.  

I'm assuming you're talking about the actual ground and not the grass correct? When the ground under the grass is wet and muddish (could be a word), I don't think that hitting down at the ball is a bad thing.
Unlike a bunker shot, I'll stand up a little taller with my feet closer together (inside my shoulders) and place the ball inside my rear heel.
ALWAYS be sure and connect with the ball first and taking a chunky divot after the ball is in the air isn't going to hurt you. 

The wet is the ground/dirt; just how fall/winter golf is where I play. Grass is usually pretty bare because the Bermuda goes dormant.

I guess I need to move the ball back. I typically play middle to forward and slide under, more bunker shot like. When I move too far back I start to hit it fat.
Sounds like I am trying the right things, just need more practice....or for the Bermuda to come back so the lies are a bit fluffier.

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The wet is the ground/dirt; just how fall/winter golf is where I play. Grass is usually pretty bare because the Bermuda goes dormant.

I guess I need to move the ball back. I typically play middle to forward and slide under, more bunker shot like. When I move too far back I start to hit it fat.
Sounds like I am trying the right things, just need more practice....or for the Bermuda to come back so the lies are a bit fluffier.

So it looks like a pretty good field sample of similar advice/practices. Keep us all posted if you have any breakthroughs that seem to work. 

I think that a big key is no matter what position the ball's in, keep most of the weight on your front foot. Even more so if you play the ball further forward. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I'm assuming you're talking about the actual ground and not the grass correct? When the ground under the grass is wet and muddish (could be a word), I don't think that hitting down at the ball is a bad thing. A few others made comments about lower lofted clubs which does work and I'll use a 9i if I'm trying to bump and run across a long green. When the pin's closer and I want more control, I've always had success with a de-lofted 60* or 56*. 

Unlike a bunker shot, I'll stand up a little taller with my feet closer together (inside my shoulders) and place the ball inside my rear heel. 90% of the weight on your front foot. Apply the hinge and hold technique ala Phil Mickelson. Hinge the wrists to create the back swing and then lead with the butt end of the club to keep your hands in front of your body. Very light grip as you want to feel the heft of the club doing the work. ALWAYS be sure and connect with the ball first and taking a chunky divot after the ball is in the air isn't going to hurt you. Even though the ball won't go way up in the air, it will check up as you're creating extra spin and is a very controllable shot. 

This video is such a fundamental for the short game. Cheers!

Thanks for the video. I had the same issue/question that cnosil described the last couple of weeks of our season. they say a picture is worth a thousand words - in this case a video. It was a simple and easy to understand tutorial on chipping.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Thanks for the video. I had the same issue/question that cnosil described the last couple of weeks of our season. they say a picture is worth a thousand words - in this case a video. It was simple and easy tutorial on chipping.  

and it's PM.. I don't think that anybody can argue his status in the short-game world. 

As simple as this is, it's helped me tremendously! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

and it's PM.. I don't think that anybody can argue his status in the short-game world. 

An even bigger plus - he's a lefty so I don't have to reconstruct the technique. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Phil is definitely one of the best.  He has a multitude of amazing shots, but he practices a lot more than most of us.  As I said, I like the Steve Stricker approach.  

My only difference from Stricker is that my feet are closer together.  The wider my feet, the more my tendency to mishit.  I have tried this shot with a little more wrist hinge, and I can do it... just not consistent enough to use it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My go-to. I do this all the time now. So easy, and reduces bladed shots, and fat shots.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/no-chunk-chipping-stand-closer-to-simplify-your-swing/amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Watched the Phil clip last night. Chipping really isn’t my issues, more if a pitching problem. I follow the approach that pmookie posted for chipping. Problem for me is that it stops working when I need more carry. Going to watch the video from Kenny tonight.

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Watched the Phil clip last night. Chipping really isn’t my issues, more if a pitching problem. I follow the approach that pmookie posted for chipping. Problem for me is that it stops working when I need more carry. Going to watch the video from Kenny tonight.

I still find that the technique is applicable all the way out to full shots. The only thing Might do differently on a pitch is widen the stance to about shoulder length and maybe neutralize the weight on both fee a bit.. maybe 60% pressure on the front foot. Would still place the ball in back half of my stance somewhere and lead with the handle. Hit the ball first as it will cause the ball to ride up the club face and you'll get some good height and not lose any distance. Regardless of whether or not this works for you, it looks like you're getting some really good variety of recommendations here. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 11/19/2018 at 5:52 PM, cnosil said:

Biggest problem for me is hitting those 10-70 yard partial wedge shots when the ground is wet.  Typically I hit down on the ball trying to use the bounce like a bunker shot to make sure I get under the ball. Now that the ground is starting to remain a bit wetter I am going right under the ball and getting no distance.

How do you approach this distance?

There's another video on youtube showing Stricker hitting a 69 yard pitch shot.  Exact same motion as his chip shot.  When I get to that distance, I have to hinge a little more.  I really haven't tried this under wet ground conditions, so if you do try it, I would interested in your results.

Today was really wet;  had about an inch of rain yesterday.   Pitches and chips were horrendous.  if I try to catch ball first I blade it otherwise I hit fat and go right under the ball.   Just can't seem to find a groove for these shots unless the ground is firm.   Wish it didn't get dark so early so I could head to the course and just hit shots for a few hours.  

Definitely play the ball a bit back in the stance, keep the club face square so that you catch it flush and try to accelerate through the ball.

You have to be precise - it’s hard and takes practice - I try to find a spot to practice off of tight down hill lies - a couple of shag bags of those from 40 or 50 yards often does the trick.

Ironically this time of the year is over for us.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

Definitely play the ball a bit back in the stance, keep the club face square so that you catch it flush and try to accelerate through the ball.

You have to be precise - it’s hard and takes practice - I try to find a spot to practice off of tight down hill lies - a couple of shag bags of those from 40 or 50 yards often does the trick.

Ironically this time of the year is over for us.

It will come down to practice and like you said  just need to go hit a couple of bags of ball.   It is interesting that I do okay on hardpan since I hit down to get under the ball to avoid the thin shot.  The wet ground is where the problems occur.  

Archived