Technique for short pitches on soft ground

cnosil

and it's PM.. I don't think that anybody can argue his status in the short-game world. 

As simple as this is, it's helped me tremendously! 

Watched the Phil clip last night. Chipping really isn’t my issues, more if a pitching problem. I follow the approach that pmookie posted for chipping. Problem for me is that it stops working when I need more carry. Going to watch the video from Kenny tonight.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Watched the Phil clip last night. Chipping really isn’t my issues, more if a pitching problem. I follow the approach that pmookie posted for chipping. Problem for me is that it stops working when I need more carry. Going to watch the video from Kenny tonight.

I still find that the technique is applicable all the way out to full shots. The only thing Might do differently on a pitch is widen the stance to about shoulder length and maybe neutralize the weight on both fee a bit.. maybe 60% pressure on the front foot. Would still place the ball in back half of my stance somewhere and lead with the handle. Hit the ball first as it will cause the ball to ride up the club face and you'll get some good height and not lose any distance. Regardless of whether or not this works for you, it looks like you're getting some really good variety of recommendations here. 

• Like 2

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 11/19/2018 at 5:52 PM, cnosil said:

Biggest problem for me is hitting those 10-70 yard partial wedge shots when the ground is wet.  Typically I hit down on the ball trying to use the bounce like a bunker shot to make sure I get under the ball. Now that the ground is starting to remain a bit wetter I am going right under the ball and getting no distance.

How do you approach this distance?

There's another video on youtube showing Stricker hitting a 69 yard pitch shot.  Exact same motion as his chip shot.  When I get to that distance, I have to hinge a little more.  I really haven't tried this under wet ground conditions, so if you do try it, I would interested in your results.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Today was really wet;  had about an inch of rain yesterday.   Pitches and chips were horrendous.  if I try to catch ball first I blade it otherwise I hit fat and go right under the ball.   Just can't seem to find a groove for these shots unless the ground is firm.   Wish it didn't get dark so early so I could head to the course and just hit shots for a few hours.  

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Definitely play the ball a bit back in the stance, keep the club face square so that you catch it flush and try to accelerate through the ball.

You have to be precise - it’s hard and takes practice - I try to find a spot to practice off of tight down hill lies - a couple of shag bags of those from 40 or 50 yards often does the trick.

Ironically this time of the year is over for us.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

Definitely play the ball a bit back in the stance, keep the club face square so that you catch it flush and try to accelerate through the ball.

You have to be precise - it’s hard and takes practice - I try to find a spot to practice off of tight down hill lies - a couple of shag bags of those from 40 or 50 yards often does the trick.

Ironically this time of the year is over for us.

It will come down to practice and like you said  just need to go hit a couple of bags of ball.   It is interesting that I do okay on hardpan since I hit down to get under the ball to avoid the thin shot.  The wet ground is where the problems occur.  

• Like 1