TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Specific Exercise Routines

Do any of you have a weight lifting/exercise routine that is tailored for golf?  For example exercise focused on extending range of motion, strengthening specific muscle groups that improve swing speed, etc.?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Well that’s kind of the point of SuperSpeed Golf that’s currently being tested by a number of us. It’s $199. Besides the sticks you get all kinds of help including warm ups and expert advice from their trainers. The program is more about training the brain than the body but there is certainly a golf specific training element to it.

If you don’t want to spend cash the Swingman Golf web sight has several stretches and exercise protons on it.

I know that there are Golf specific workouts available on you tube as well. I can’t speak to how effective they are though.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Fix, I own this book and while I don't use it that often since my fitness routine is nearly non-existent right now, if you're looking for a good base of golf specific exercises, this is a good spot to start. Good news, it's around $5 on Amazon. 

EDIT: I also recommend some kind of yoga/stretching plan as well. For me, that's DDP Yoga, which I need to get back into in the new year just for general fitness.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

This is a good question and there’s still some debate around whether there is such a thing as sport specific training. I lean towards the aspect of there isn’t.  Getting stronger is the best way to train along with practicing your sport.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Also Fix, not to pick on you, but this thread probably would have been better in the MGS University board than here.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

This is a good question and there’s still some debate around whether there is such a thing as sport specific training. I lean towards the aspect of there isn’t.  Getting stronger is the best way to train along with practicing your sport.  

Getting fit has to help.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

25 minutes ago, revkev said:

Getting fit has to help.

Not denying getting fit helping. Being in shape for any sport is never a bad thing. I’ve gone thru my weight loss journey a couple years ago and have been bouncing between periods of caloric deficit, surplus and maintenance cycle over the last 2+ years along with switching routines from bodybuilding type training to powerlifting and some in between. The changes have definitely helped to include some ss increase...I believe you saw some with your fitness journey and prior to the superspeed training.  Getting under a barbell and/or hitting the big 3-4 lifts tend to get a bad rap and many trainers and various level of athletes get scared of weightlifting. 

I think many see JT, D.J., Brooks, Lexi and others doing certain exercises using bosu balls or cable machines to do some exercises that resemble golf movements and think these will make them better or increase speed. They forget they are also doing the big lifts.

This is where the debate comes in about “functional exercises or sport specific exercises” and whether they are useful or not. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

fix

if you go into the  university section you'll see quite a few threads from me on golf specific routines.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

CrossFit and any other type exercise routine that builds strength in your core muscles while also maintaining your flexibility will greatly benefit most golfers. While strength, endurance, flexibility and body composition improvements will not make you a better Golfer those components will set the conditions for you to become a better golfer. More importantly they will make you healthier and more confident.

If you have an OrangeTheory fitness studio in your area I highly recommend their fitness program. It is designed to build usable fitness through exercise that combines both aerobic and anaerobic activities.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I was thinking more along the lines of maintaining or increasing range of motion and I should have mentioned exercises for the 55+ age group.  I consistently perform a pre-game stretch routine, but mostly in hopes of not throwing my self out of whack.  What I'd like to find are some exercises that help with upper body rotation; fighting natures on-going effort to reduce us to stone. Also, WTH does "Fix" mean?  I see a handful of folks using this in replies.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I had this guy send me some exercises for golf and there are a BUNCH!!! Good resource for ideas of what to do for core, mobility, stretching, and strengthening as well. You can purchase plans from him...
IMG_7158.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I was thinking more along the lines of maintaining or increasing range of motion and I should have mentioned exercises for the 55+ age group.  I consistently perform a pre-game stretch routine, but mostly in hopes of not throwing my self out of whack.  What I'd like to find are some exercises that help with upper body rotation; fighting natures on-going effort to reduce us to stone. Also, WTH does "Fix" mean?  I see a handful of folks using this in replies.

Fix is short for Fixurdivot. 

I really think yoga is what you are looking for. It will help become much more flexible and give you a better range of motion. And even though it doesn't use weights, it builds muscles and improves balance. As always, with any exercise routine, start slowly and give your body time to adjust.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You may be looking for something like this book? My wife had gotten this for me a few years ago...
IMG_20181122_213528402.jpeg

It's a well illustrated, common sense guide to many facets of health and fitness and how each pertains to golf. Each section is written by a doctor.

One of the more useful sections is "Strength and Flexibility Training" which contains a number of stretches and exercises to increase your "golf fitness".

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh and also agree with SteddyGolf above - overall fitness and well-being combines all of stretching and mobility, plus balance and movement, plus strengthening and conditioning ... plus aerobic exercise.

I also believe sport-specific training is a "thing", but - best done under the guidance of a qualified trainer who can guide you in using the proper form, to get the desired benefit and to reduce risk of injury or strain.

For example, golf is a highly rotational movement and so specific exercises that can increase your ability to rotate back and forth around your spine .. and help to enhance your ability to maintain that fabled spine angle throughout the swing .. can help your swing and your game.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 7:27 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Do any of you have a weight lifting/exercise routine that is tailored for golf?  For example exercise focused on extending range of motion, strengthening specific muscle groups that improve swing speed, etc.?  

I’m starting a group starting in New Years for these purposes exactly! I know there’s some people doing the SuperSpeed course which is $199. My plan for January will be $30 per person. If that sounds like something you’d be interested in, shoot me a message and we can go from there!

Archived