TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to get to the golf course and away from the wife and kids

MWGolf23

Hi all,

Looking to see tips and tricks to get out of the house to golf without the wife giving you evil eyes and making you feel awful for leaving. This has intensified now that I have a 9-month-old son. Not a big deal in the winter here for me in Michigan, but the tension was always intense if I wanted to get out on the weekend for even 9 holes. I probably played a round of 18 on average 2 times per month in the season and about three 9-hole rounds. I feel like a round of 18 once a weekend is reasonable. Going into the spring, how do I make everyone happy? I'm sure there is probably nothing I can do. 😂

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

Being in Michigan I know how our season is and how you want to get in as much as possible when the weather is good. My wife always feels like I should be spending time with her instead of "chasing a stupid little white ball". I don't have any kids at home, but I tell her that for me golf is 1,)a better workout than a gym, 9 holes equals a mile and a half walk, plus the workout you get swinging the clubs. and 2,) it's how I decompress form all the crap I deal with at work.

Another way to get course time is to encourage her to have a "girls night" out with her friends while you babysit. Then that in turn gives you golf time.

Good Luck.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Hi all,
Looking to see tips and tricks to get out of the house to golf without the wife giving you evil eyes and making you feel awful for leaving. This has intensified now that I have a 9-month-old son. Not a big deal in the winter here for me in Michigan, but the tension was always intense if I wanted to get out on the weekend for even 9 holes. I probably played a round of 18 on average 2 times per month in the season and about three 9-hole rounds. I feel like a round of 18 once a weekend is reasonable. Going into the spring, how do I make everyone happy? I'm sure there is probably nothing I can do. 

I always thought about relationships like a bank account. You need to put lots of deposits in (re: girls night out, her having an aft of lunch
and shopping with her friends) before you make a withdrawal (golf).
Of course your son makes it that much more challenging.

FYI it does get better as your son gets older.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

When my kids were young I didn’t play much, and there were years when I put the clubs away tending to family, etc. However, when I did play when the kids were in the house I never got the guilt trip from the wife. She’s always been very supportive of my golf addiction with or without the kids around.

Every family and every situation is different so you’ll have to create your own rules with your wife. And honestly it sounds like you need to have a sit down with her regarding playing golf. I mean, you make it sound like she gets pissed whenever you leave the house. What is she, your parole officer?

I’d sit down with her and set some guidelines for what she agrees to with regards to golf. Then when you go play within those guidelines she can’t give you crap since she agreed to those terms.

Then again I’ve got a friend who mentioned golf to me in front of his wife and you would have thought I cursed at her or something as she said golf was a dirty word. That’s his deal and not mine. Every wife and family is different.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Schedule together time.  Set a date night, get a baby sitter and do something fun as a couple.  

Agree with your spouse that she should have her alone time.  What she does is up to her.  You are in charge of child care.  

Agree with your spouse that you should have your alone time.  What you do is up to you.  She is in charge of child care.  

Schedule your golf for times so that playing is as little of a burden on your wife as you can make it.  Get up early and out of the house before your child wakes up or during nap time.

When you get back from the course, give her a big kiss and say thank you.  And mean it.

Do nice things for her.  For example, next time she's tired and grumpy or feeling overwhelmed, go run a hot bubble bath.  Don't forget the Epsom salts.  Light candles in the bathroom.  Cut a cucumber and put on a plate near the tub (for her to use to rejuvenate her eyes).  Put on some soft music.  Pour her a glass of wine and lead her to the tub.  While she's in the tub, do the laundry.    

(I've been happily married for 37 years.  And I play a lot of golf.) 

what I did was get out at 5 am, start around 6 and be back by 11am.  my wife never minded that as it left the rest of the day with the family.

that early, the golf course I played didn't mind me being the first one out as I never held up the regular foursomes.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Outside of what everyone’s already said I’m the same with Har. I’ll go out and walk and be the first one out at 6 am. If I do 9 I can be back by 730. If I play 18 I’m home by lunch. Or if the girls are napping I’ll go out and walk a few holes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

So you have a kid together. Do you have a mortgage?

I’ll tell you the secret of marriage. Any free moment you have, don’t sit on your butt watching tv, instead, do something, anything, around the house.

Clean the bathrooms, clean up after dinner, give the kid a bath, Fix an non-working outlet, clean the gutters, paint a room, whatever.

Then you don’t ask to play golf, you tell her. No I’m saying that in an arrogant way, you just say, “I’m planning on playing golf on ____ at ____.” If she complains, you just tell her, “Listen, I’ve been working hard at work and at home and I’m gonna take some time playing golf and recharging.”

That’s it. Don’t beat around the bush, tell her direct and how you feel, your feelings should matter to her.

Now I ask if you have a mortgage, because if you got a kid and a mortgage, neither one of you are going anywhere. You are stuck together for the next 20 years, might as well be honest with each other (I’ve been with my wife since 2000 and this approach works best).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Great advice given already and I’ll add just a little to what has already been mentioned. Words matter. Many people will tell you effective communication is the key to a lasting relationship but I would argue how you communicate is just as important as effective communication.

It’s Wednesday evening and you are sitting on the couch watching TV. You tell your wife, “Saturday I want to play Golf and I want to hang out with you.” “I was thinking I’d could play golf in the morning then come home, take a shower, then we can head out for a nice lunch and maybe hit that festival downtown”. You stated you desires and let her know spending time with her is important to you. You’ve also made a recommendation rather than putting the burden on her to develop a plan. If she agrees then all is well. If she does not agree then let the negotiation begin. Everything in life is a negotiation until it’s not.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

There has already been good advice thus far but I would just say to invest significantly in your wife for the next 90 days. Communicate your love and appreciation for her in word and deed. Take time to find out how she is feeling or perhaps a better way to say it is find out how you playing golf makes her feel. Talk to her and listen. Find out what the actual problem and solve it and life will be better. I've been married 27 years and through the years golf has at times been a significant source of tension but no more. I will tell you that you are in a season of life that is difficult, wonderful and fleeting - this too shall pass and you will miss it :) If I could go back, I wouldn't play more golf. Hope things work out - enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

My wife understands my golf addiction because her Dad is a golfer. She also see's that after working 60+ hours a week I don't stop because I have to do stuff around the house, so she doesn't begrudge me going out for 4 or 5 hours on a Saturday or Sunday morning to whack a small white ball around.

I  have to agree with the other guys, make sure she gets time to do her own thing as well and I think you'll be golden.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

another great example of great members helping out another great member.

This forum is the best and it is because of you guys, the members.

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

I can remember fantasizing about getting away from the wife and kids.

Now, however, the kids are in their forties and we can't get to see them enough.

As for the wife, we have to spend time together whether we like it or not.

If we're together, MAYBE one of us will remember something that has to be remembered.

I'm fortunate to have a wife that actually encourages me whenever I want to do something I enjoy, and I did the same for her. It doesn't hurt that I'm part of the SuperSpeed review and I can be like "baby I need to go play today to check my swing speed on the course".

You could always do what my brother did every year before hunting season: buy her jewelry. He used to do it every year like clockwork.

I think it's important for each partner in a relationship to be able to get away from the everyday grind and decompress.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It’s a struggle. I usually give my wife 6 hours on Saturday to hang out with friends etc, then take Sunday early to play. Also get 9 holes after work here and there. Bottom line, you will never get enough time until the baby can play!

Luckily my wife understands how important golf is for me and to have my “me time”. Try to play early in the morning so the whole day is not golf and you are home for the rest of the day. Let her have a day for her to do what she likes. Be active in the household that helps a lot. When you come home from playing be in a great mood even if the round was bad, hey golf good or bad is better than doing housework right. When she sees how happy it makes you it gives her a better understanding of your reason for golfing. Doesn’t hurt if you bring home your winnings and take her out for a nice dinner

You could roll over in the morning and whisper, “golf course, or intercourse”?

my wife always says, wear a sweater!😂

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

My wife doesn't mind the golfing, it's the drinking that goes along with it that she hates.  

Lot's of great advice here and I don't have a lot to add in regards to the communication or deposit/withdrawal lines of thought.

Here's my one piece of advice.  Join a league.  Find a local course with a set league that plays once a week at a set time.  That way it becomes a commitment and part of the routine instead of randomly trying to get out to play every once in a while.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I’m living this right now. What’s worked for me is I haven’t made golf or time to myself a priority.

My time with my daughter, the dog and home life with my wife all come first.

She understands when I say I want to go that it’s not a big deal.

Life is all about balance.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

my wife always says, wear a sweater!

You should get a gas fireplace...nobody should have to have sex in their winter clothes 🤣

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 11/21/2018 at 1:30 PM, MWGolf23 said:

Hi all,

Looking to see tips and tricks to get out of the house to golf without the wife giving you evil eyes and making you feel awful for leaving. This has intensified now that I have a 9-month-old son. Not a big deal in the winter here for me in Michigan, but the tension was always intense if I wanted to get out on the weekend for even 9 holes. I probably played a round of 18 on average 2 times per month in the season and about three 9-hole rounds. I feel like a round of 18 once a weekend is reasonable. Going into the spring, how do I make everyone happy? I'm sure there is probably nothing I can do. 😂

Share with her the idea of investing in a quality launch monitor/virtual golf simulator.  Try selling it as a family fun, keep Dad close to home investment.  When she see's the price tag, you'll have no problems getting kitchen passes. 😀

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

18 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

my wife always says, wear a sweater!😂

you're bad

😂

Dexterity:

Joined a private club that has a beach club for the wife. Going into year four and never have been told I play too much golf.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

This is a tough one. And every answer has no wrong or right solution. At the very least maybe build an indoor simulator in your garage or even go to the extreme of building a small pull barn for it. Use it in the middle of the night and play as much as you want. True , it isn’t real golf. But better than nothing. I’ve read of a few doing this and even some have YouTube channels of year round simulator golf. 

We even have a local simulator golf shop that gives its members a key fab. You can access the simulators any hour of the day by swiping the door and checking in 

Keep it in the short stuff

I used to play golf 3x a week. Since my daughter has been born i have went out in a month. I’m thinking maybe 3 times since and she’s 3 months. I’m actually scared to see where my 8.5 index decides to go 

Sorry tO answer your question I haven’t figured it out yet. So keep me posted

Not a problem at my house.  My wife actually encourages me to go play...  go out with friends...  car shows... football games...  etc.  Mostly because I have a full time job, I work very hard (as does she) AND I do my part at home with chores, laundry, dishes, the dreaded vacuum, dusting, etc.     

Honestly, this should be established well before you say "I do."  Things like kids and other life changes will obviously change the dynamic, but ultimately, there should always be room for "you time" (this applies to both sides of the relationship).  How much do you help with household chores?  Do you ever do laundry?  Wash dishes?  Take the kids out and allow your wife time to decompress and relax?  Does your wife work or does she stay at home with the kids all day by herself?  Ultimately, those are all things you need to look at and examine for yourself and see if perhaps, you might need to step up your game at home.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

Archived