Approach, Gap, or Utility?

GolfSpy MPR

Approach, Gap, or Utility?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What name do you use for the wedge between your pitching wedge and sand wedge?

• Approach wedge
    • Gap wedge
    • Utility wedge
    • By its loft

I will typically say my 50 degree rather then gap or utility. I have the i210 which has the U and find it a little odd to call it a utility. Sounds more like a hybrid to me so I stick with 50!

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

15 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I call it a "gap wedge" for the worst of reasons.

It reminds me that the manufacturers screwed up the numbering system to a fare thee well.

I'm reminded of speaking foreign languages.

If you're good at it, you think in the language that you're speaking.

If you're a novice, you think in English and translate in your head.

I'm like the latter with modern golf clubs.

If it's a "player's cavity back" or near blade, a gap wedge translates to a pitching wedge.

If it's a full-blown GI iron, a gap wedge translates to a 9-iron.

Maybe an eight.

I've reached the point, however, where I could happily put together a modern set if I could play.

Thanks to the comments and suggestions of my friends here, I wouldn't t have to play with vintage sticks anymore.

I've got a bunch of playable new sets in my imagination.

I play with the vintage stuff because that is what I like to play. Back in our era we had only 2 wedges to choose from and most bounces or soles were the same unless you took a file to one. I learned to utilize what I had in all sorts of ground conditions. For a while I did carry 4 wedges but found out there were too many decisions for me to make. Went back to 2 and made things easier for me. Like I have said many times before it all has to do with what era one learned the game in and the equipment you had to work with in that era 

• Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

Always been gap for me because it was filling the gap between pw and sw

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... I have always played with 6* gaps between my wedges. Traditionally a 48*-54*-60* but when switching to Cobra Amp Forged quite a few years ago I bent my pw to 46* and to keep my gapping at 6* I dropped to a 52*-58* which actually worked out better for me. This thread about what you call a specific wedge is something I had really never considered because like several others have already stated, I use my 58* from the sand more than my 52* and neither would be considered a traditional "sand wedge". I have always referred to my wedges by loft. If someone asks what club I used on a particular shot I always respond with "my 52 or my 58". 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... I have always played with 6* gaps between my wedges. Traditionally a 48*-54*-60* but when switching to Cobra Amp Forged quite a few years ago I bent my pw to 46* and to keep my gapping at 6* I dropped to a 52*-58* which actually worked out better for me. This thread about what you call a specific wedge is something I had really never considered because like several others have already stated, I use my 58* from the sand more than my 52* and neither would be considered a traditional "sand wedge". I have always referred to my wedges by loft. If someone asks what club I used on a particular shot I always respond with "my 52 or my 58". 

Usually the only one that will ask me specifically is my buddy Bear and when I tell him he knows exactly what I am talking about as in "Turned up56" Or " knuckeled down 56*" he knows on that first one I had the face open or on the second one I had the face hooded some and delofted. I also have a terminology I use with the 48 PW " open flop PW" which he knows I had the face open on the 48 making it like a 52 or 54. I also hit what I call a "high flip float" with the 9 iron where I flip it open some and hit a high soft cut.

• Like 1

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Always been gap for me because it was filling the gap between pw and sw

Same thing for me right here. 

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I little rally just called it my "A" wedge. In a sentence it sounds like "I just hit that Ayy gap wedge into the water, I'm done with this hole."

• Love 1

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I call mine my A well because that's what is stamped on it. No other reason. I will however call other peoples a gap.

Same here. 50* “A” wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Always been a gap wedge to me

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Since I started using the SCOR wedges, I only refer to them by their loft. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As different companies use different nomenclature, I thought I'd ask: which label do you favor for this club? I have my own hunch which name is most popular; I wonder if the name will ever end up standardizing across manufacturers?

50 degree wedge...

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!
  • Like 1

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Mine is stamped with a 'G' so I call it a gap wedge. My normal playing partner's club has an 'A' stamped on his and we've always called it his "All" wedge because he uses it for all types of shots. 3/4 swing for 100 yards or full swing for 130 or so yards and some shots around the greens for a chip and run.  

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I generally refer to it as a piece of S***...  but sometimes that's gets confused with my other piece of crap or my piece of garbage.  Basically, they are all interchangeable and depending on the quality of my shot (or lack thereof), the name will change for the club.  This is true of all clubs in my bag.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero
  • 3 wood:  Cobra F9
  • 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 4 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • 5 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • Irons 6 - AW: Callaway CB 2021
  • SW 52* Smithworks
  • LW 58*: Vokey SM8
  • Putter:  Big Oak Havana

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I just go by the numbers on mine. That or call wedges - after pitching wedge from my set I have 48, 52, 56, 60. I hit them 112, 98, 86, 75 respectively if I’m hitting them full which I rarely do. I also have a number if they are gripped down an inch and another number if they are gripped down two inches.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I’m guilty of calling it both. Some days it’s a 52, other days a gap.

I’ll usually temper it to my audience and their abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I just go by the numbers on mine. That or call wedges - after pitching wedge from my set I have 48, 52, 56, 60. I hit them 112, 98, 86, 75 respectively if I’m hitting them full which I rarely do. I also have a number if they are gripped down an inch and another number if they are gripped down two inches.

... Being an artistic kinda guy, I have always played be feel. I tried doing the 7-8-9-10 o'clock shaft position for chips and pitches but that kinda approach just doesn't click for me. I have always been a little jealous of players that can make something like your grip down 1" or 2" for specific numbers work for them, especially on shots were I can't see the landing area which always throws me off a little. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

On 11/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, ga_pike said:

I generally refer to it as a piece of S***...  but sometimes that's gets confused with my other piece of crap or my piece of garbage.  Basically, they are all interchangeable and depending on the quality of my shot (or lack thereof), the name will change for the club.  This is true of all clubs in my bag.  

Sorta off topic but I describe most Hybrids as "Little Funkys" because they all look "funky" to me

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Sorta off topic but I describe most Hybrids as "Little Funkys" because they all look "funky" to me

Time to get Funky

• Like 1
  • Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero
  • 3 wood:  Cobra F9
  • 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 4 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • 5 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • Irons 6 - AW: Callaway CB 2021
  • SW 52* Smithworks
  • LW 58*: Vokey SM8
  • Putter:  Big Oak Havana

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

27 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Like Mark Crossfield, who calls the hybrid his "rinky-dinks."

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0 [CURRENT MGS FORUM TEST]
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures