Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Over 50 Xbox question

chisag

... I would love to hear from those over 50, although as always everyones opinion is welcome. Here is my query: have you played Xbox with your "kids" or friends or just on your own? I have never played video games (other than pong, pac man many years ago) and my 27yr old is always telling me I would really enjoy it. I have a 75" TV and an audiophile sound system so with modern games, I can see where it would be pretty cool. I have watched him play Battleground and enjoyed watching, but there are so many buttons to control and it moves so fast I am wondering how long it took some of you "mature" MGS'ers to learn how to play. And is it worth the effort? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I’m 42, and grew up playing them, but quit when I was around 30... just lost interest. My wife (39) and daughter (4) play, and sometimes I help them with hard parts, but mostly I watch them. I agree about the buttons, there’s just too many. I grew up with them though, so when I started as a kid it was just a joystick and one button. Then they added a button. Then a couple more buttons. Then around 2000 they added a second joystick and a few more buttons. Maybe you should start with one of the NES Classic kits... it just has one joystick and a couple buttons, and it comes preloaded with a bunch of classic games. Then graduate to the more complicated setup. It can be a fun way to spend time with others, kind of like board games did back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

I’m 50 and have a HD projector running Xbox One on a 120 inch screen in full surround. Told the wife it was a setup for the 14 year old twins but the girl won’t play and my boy plays Nintendo Switch games. That being said forget about online games. The kids will crush you and make fun of you while they do it. If you want to blow off some steam and play a shooter it is a blast in single player mode. That being said if you grew up playing game like pac man it may be a tough transition. But, for a couple hundred bucks I say find out. You can play local games with your son and they are fun but I agree, getting used to the buttons takes time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

... Thanks Wedgie, I have no desire top play strangers online. Just my son and his friends and making fun of me would be the point. Kinda like Papi on Highly Questionable. 😜

... Thanks Wedgie, I have no desire top play strangers online. Just my son and his friends and making fun of me would be the point. Kinda like Papi on Highly Questionable. 

Haha, right. Get a shooter, grab a bazooka and be happy blasting your boy and his buddy’s once for every 20 times they get you. Kinda like golf, that one shot will keep you coming back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Start playing and the buttons will come naturally. They seem to many but once you start putting some time to it... my Dad beats me at Fifa and Pes, he started playing 2 years ago when he got retired and i played them all my life, i´m 36 so i already grew up with the controller in my hand.

Is it worthy... it all depends on your taste, we like soccer games at home, and i also like indiana jones gameplay like uncharted and tomb raider. I also play with a nintendo WII for family fun, bowling and fencing and other sports.

It’s just not my cup of tea.I own the Xbox -X that utilizes my 4 k tv.The Netflix - NBC- and espn apps look amazing streaming on it.On the gaming side, I’m just not into the current gen gaming.When the young relatives come over.They use it during holiday or get togethers for gaming.

Keep it in the short stuff

I don’t play myself, but a few younger guys at work are always talking about them. They get pissed off with them, because there are people out there who have figured out all the cheats in the game. It would be difficult to pick this games up and learn the controllers well enough to play . 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I’m 49. I play FPS Shooters on PS4.

It’s cathartic. The only problem I have is that because I’m old, my reflexes are slow, and I can’t keep up with the young kids.

Do it. It’s too fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I’m 48 and I have been gaming since the Atari days I have Xbox one and 2 PS4’s. My 19 year old son took the Xbox and PS4 off to college with him so I had to buy the a 4K PS4. I play on a 4K 70” Samsung curve. It’s amazing.
For Black Friday I bought the kid and I Red Dead Redemption 2 so we can play while he’s away.
I’m big into the Call of Duty games.
I even have a old school screen name Pitfall__Harry. The young kids have no clue who that is.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... I would love to hear from those over 50, although as always everyones opinion is welcome. Here is my query: have you played Xbox with your "kids" or friends or just on your own? I have never played video games (other than pong, pac man many years ago) and my 27yr old is always telling me I would really enjoy it. I have a 75" TV and an audiophile sound system so with modern games, I can see where it would be pretty cool. I have watched him play Battleground and enjoyed watching, but there are so many buttons to control and it moves so fast I am wondering how long it took some of you "mature" MGS'ers to learn how to play. And is it worth the effort? 

my son wanted me to join him in playing his xbox so I started and I sucked so badly that after a while he got so sick of me always getting killed or him kicking my ass all the time in football that he no longer wanted me to play with him anymore.  it has to be age and not being able to figure out all the buttons on the remote. He was so quick and me...as i said... i just sucked.  

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

As one of the younger guys here I say do it. Yea there are a lot of buttons but you will pick it up quicker than you think. Think of it like being a beginner at golf, if you suck who cares because no one is suppose to be good at it right away. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm 43 and I play PS4 almost daily. Not a lot, maybe 30 mins, but enough to just unwind and have fun. 

I'm a huge fan of the EA Sports NHL franchise, although I won't be picking up this year's version since not enough has changed from NHL 18. I'll still play Rory McIlroy Golf too, and my son is always challenging me to Star Wars Battlefront matches (I always lose). When the Final Fantasy VII re-release finally comes out, I'll be one of the first in line to grab it.

Games almost always have multiple difficulty levels, so it's easy to start on a beginner level setting to get your feet wet, and then ramp up the challenge the more you get comfortable with the game & controls. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm 47, we got my son an Xbox for Christmas last year and of course I've gotten a few games for myself. I like FPS like the COD stuff and Battlefront but the one I like the most is Forza 7 because I can race at Bathurst.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

13 hours ago, chisag said:

I have no desire top play strangers online

No telling how many weirdos you might run into online. Hmmm? LOL

I say get you one and get it out of your old system. I can almost bet you it will not be your thing; and in a fairly short period of time. Yes, I bought an Xbox and a handful of games several years ago. Initially, I was impressed and found it fun. But those feelings wore off rather quickly. Lucky for me, I purchased mine at WalMart and at the time they had a 90 day full return policy on the Xbox. (But not the games.) So, before the 90 day period expired I returned it. Whew!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

No telling how many weirdos you might run into online. Hmmm? LOL

I say get you one and get it out of your old system. I can almost bet you it will not be your thing; and in a fairly short period of time. Yes, I bought an Xbox and a handful of games several years ago. Initially, I was impressed and found it fun. But those feelings wore off rather quickly. Lucky for me, I purchased mine at WalMart and at the time they had a 90 day full return policy on the Xbox. (But not the games.) So, before the 90 day period expired I returned it. Whew!

... As stated earlier I have never played video games and imagine there is a very good chance they are not my thing. But I will be spending winter in Phoenix and it might be a good way to stay in touch with my 27yr old son. I do not expect to become proficient, just decent enough to share a game on headphones with him and maybe his friends. 

I’m about to be 50 and have played video games since I was in grade school. I played games like Splinter Cell, and a first-person shooter WWII game, but I pretty much only play sports games now since I only have 45min to an hour to play at one time. I enjoy them! They are fun, and the graphics via these new TVs are great! My son (15) is trying to get me to play Fortnite and Destiny with him, but I haven’t yet. I’ll spend some time with him during the holidays. He doesn’t play any sports games, so I’ll have to play his style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

59 and doin fine, I play XBox almost everyday. I play games and chat with my son but I never play online. Red Dead Redemption 2 is what I am ambling through at the moment. I’ve been playing since pong not hardcore gaming just to entertain the 12 year old in me.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... Thanks Wedgie, I have no desire top play strangers online. Just my son and his friends and making fun of me would be the point. Kinda like Papi on Highly Questionable. 😜

Do what I did, I practiced when he was at school so when he asked me to play he was like "Dad you're pretty good at this"........then he added "for a noob" 😉

Yes there are numerous buttons and I cant get used to it, but I've played PC games and they have as many buttons to use and I play pretty well, so I'd say persevere and you'll do just fine, its a laugh and the modern way to play with your kids.

Remember, you don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games!

have fun!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I’m about to be 50 and have played video games since I was in grade school. I played games like Splinter Cell, and a first-person shooter WWII game, but I pretty much only play sports games now since I only have 45min to an hour to play at one time. I enjoy them! They are fun, and the graphics via these new TVs are great! My son (15) is trying to get me to play Fortnite and Destiny with him, but I haven’t yet. I’ll spend some time with him during the holidays. He doesn’t play any sports games, so I’ll have to play his style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jump on Destiny. The Forsaken expansion has been quite good. There is always something to do, and both the PvP and PvE elements are great.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

53 and I was an arcade junkie as a teenager.  Played some of the consoles but never had the desire to get one.  Family decided to get a Wii when my daughter was a pre-teen and I played that a little bit.  When she hit middle school she wanted an x-box 360 that and purchased it herself.  WE played some games together when she wasn't playing with her friends.  A couple of years ago upgraded to the next version and I got the 360.  I played it a little bit,  but for the last year or so it has just sat on the shelf.  I think about playing some sports games, but I generally pick up my putter and roll a few instead.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've had an Xbox and now have a PS4. I am strictly a golf playing fool on them. Had the Tiger Woods Masters Edition, loved it. Now currently playing the Rory McIllroy from EA sports. In my opinion they are an awesome way to work on course management. And their just plain fun. They can be difficult if you turn it up to tour level. So go for it. You'll be glad you did.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

On 11/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, Flipper554 said:

59 and doin fine, I play XBox almost everyday. I play games and chat with my son but I never play online. Red Dead Redemption 2 is what I am ambling through at the moment. I’ve been playing since pong not hardcore gaming just to entertain the 12 year old in me.

My father who just turned 50 received an Xbox one for this very reason. He was a big western fan who he has been having fun playing through that. Not to mention with all of the applications on there it is easier to have all of them in one place, as well as having the ability to watch live television via the HDMI in the back. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I'm quite late to the party here, and my apologies in advance if this comes across as a threadjack, but here goes...

I'm 51, and tried XBox when my son was still alive, and I'm too impatient waiting for games to load, and spending so much time building games up that I lost interest after about 20 minutes. Tiger Woods PGA is a good example. How long do I have to wait to hit actual golf shots. I swear you can spend half your life building a profile and picking courses, and actually getting to the point where you are playing the game. Man, it's so slow.

All that being said, my son lived for XBox. He'd bury himself in his room and play that thing with friends online for endless hours. My last memory I have of my son before he took his own life was going to bed on a Tuesday night and checked on him in his room, where he was engrossed in a game on XBox, where I said, "I'm going to bed." His last words to me, where he didn't even stop playing the game, or look away from the screen were, "OK, Daddy."

The next day I came home to find him dead in his room from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Why do I tell you this? I share this with you because XBox has a deep seated hatred in my heart, and I partially blame video games for killing my son. It was all he wanted to do with his life, and he wouldn't engage with the real world. Just spent hours and hours on XBox, playing game after game after game. His best friend was a gamer whom he spent more time talking to over XBox then actually in person.

If I had it to do over again I would have never bought him a video game unit of any kind. And if I had know that his addiction to video games would kill him I would have ripped that machine out of his room and smashed it with a hammer into about 10,000 pieces.

There are a lot of better ways to engage with your children in real life. Video games are like a virus, or opiods. They are slowly killing (mostly) our boys, who get stimulation and rush out of games, instead of embracing real life. I've seen video games steal an entire weekend of someone's life, and without sleep. The rush from games slowly and surely takes your ability to process time or care about anything else. And if you try and take games away from an addict the after affects are not pretty. I honestly wonder how many twenty-something boys are locked in their parents houses who haven't taken a shower for 3 or more days, and are engaged in a video game marathon with their "friends" across the world, and they don't work a real job, and have no motivation to actually engage in real life.

Sorry if this is off topic, or just doesn't fit with the OP's thread. But hopefully you'll understand why this topic makes me emotionally unstable and irrationally angry.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

...  I cannot say anything to ease your pain and have no idea what you have been and continue to go thru. But I can give you an alternate scenario that may give you a different perspective about video games. We did not allow either of our boys to have Video games in the house. They could play at their friends house, but not at home. We insisted they play outside as much as possible although they did play some games on their computer. My youngest was an athlete and played football and I coached him in Little League baseball so he was either playing or working out year round. My oldest was not into sports and he has never forgiven us (me mostly as he thinks I influenced his mother) for not allowing him to have video games growing up. When he left home he played World of Warcraft with a vengeance, lost his job and eventually lost his apartment and lived on the street for awhile. 

... Ironically as someone that hated athletics, he found Jui Jitsu and it has become the most important thing in his life, training at the best facilities in San Jose, Atlanta, Miami and Los Angeles. I paid for his gym for a year to "make up" for not letting him play video games. He accepted but still will not completely forgive me for not allowing him to have a game at home when literally all his friends had them. If I could go back and do it again I would have let them own and play at home, but with restrictions on time. Every situation is different of course and I do not mean in any way to compare mine to yours. I just wanted to give you a different perspective from someone that did not allow my kids to play video games at home. 

@GSwag, I’m sorry for your loss!

Video games, guns, cartoons, hard rock, rap, the internet, cellphones, and fast food are not the devil.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I'm 59 and like you Chisag, i grew up on Pong and Pacman.

But I haven't owned a video game unit since the Atari2600. LOL

I simply don't have the time to spend hours in front of the TV playing. I already do that watching basketball, golf, football etc. If I tried to fit gaming into that, I'd be playing as a homeless guy in his car. Ha

That said I find the graphics on today's games such as Tiger, Rory and MLB spectacular and fun to watch.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived