TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedges and matching to your iron set

Har in the Hat

I don't know why I didn't make this a priority before but my irons are +3/4" in length and 2 degrees upright with stiff shafts. I'm really shaking my head at why I haven't fitted my wedges. 

The question I want to ask is that I am looking at getting new wedges and would like to know how you guys make them fit into your existing set and flow from the iron's PW . Would you match the shaft length, lie and flex?

Would you need to match the flex as the wedges are played at a slower swing speed or just go with the wedge flex?

as anyone just matched the specs so they match the irons without a fitting and got good results?

The reason I am pondering all this is because of the testing I did with the i500 clubs and because of that testing, it got me thinking more about the clubs themselves instead of solely focusing on the golf itself.

thanks guys

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

All of my wedges from Pw-60 are the same length. Just how I’ve played them. Mainly because I like to take full shots with them but I also don’t have to bend over as much on the chips around the greens

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

My wedges are also all the same length and same shaft flex as my irons with the exception of my 60 which is still steel shafted and a bit heavier than the others (its the club that I rarely hit full.)

Wedges are hugely important - for me they are more important than irons and behind only driver and putter for scoring - I would argue that this is more than likely the case for the majority of golfers.  You should go to a fitter or do some experimenting to determine what sort of wedge set up works best for you.  Tons of variables that might impact your decision making including the course conditions that you normally play in.  Prior to switching to a V soled wedge which is very versatile, I had alternate wedges that would sub into my set when conditions changed or if I was playing a different course that required different types of shots (Being able to play year round is a blessing but courses are radically different in Florida from summer to winter/early Spring - you can see them transitioning right now - our rough is finally dormant and once cut won't be the issue it is in the summer months, the fairways are speeding up so that there is some roll but greens are getting firmer by the week - different shots are requires when greens are missed.)

At any rate, good question and good luck. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Only changes I make to my wedges is to keep them same lie or 1* flatter than I have my irons. Shaft weight and flex usually match my irons or go a tad heavier. I gap them off my pw usually for my gw and sw. I don’t fully swing a lw do that is either 58 or 60 depending on what I feel like gaming in that spot

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’ve been giving my wedges a lot of thought lately. I bought my Hogan Ft. Worth irons and matching TK15 wedges and put the same KBS C-Taper Lite shafts in all of them. Because the TK15 wedges are just a continuation of the Ft. Worth irons in head shape, I figured I’d build the wedges as similar as the irons.

I play my wedges in .25” increments and distances on full swings are 47*- 125yds, 51*- 110yds, 55*- 95yds, 59*- 80yds, and 63*- 65yds. Now with a head design that was very similar to the irons and the same shafts, full swings were easy with these wedges. Where things started to fall apart were around the green. The C-Taper Lites play stiffer than I like for around the greens.

I also don’t like having so many options. I like the 4* gaps in the irons, but in the wedges I probably had been happier if I’d gone 47*-53*-59*.

I’m building another set of irons, this time with regular flex shafts with a more active tip section, and plan on going with just two wedges after the PW with that set. Just want to simplify a bit, and I’ve been having some wrist and elbow pain increasing lately, so I’m hoping so softer shafts will help remedy that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I also soft stepped my wedge shafts.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I play my wedges with the same shafts and the same flex. I like the consistency across the bag. I do play my wedges 1° flatter than my irons to get a better fit around the greens. With a full swing, you create more shaft deflection which makes the lie angle at impact flatter, so you need to play your irons more upright to adjust for the shaft deflection. Around the green, however, you don't generate the same speeds, so you don't have as much shaft deflection to account for. Therefore, I play my wedges a little flatter. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

In general, wedges should have flatter lies than irons.  You are going to load and unload the shaft with wedges less than you do with irons, so there will be less natural shaft deflection.  

Continuing in the same vein, most guys on tour play half a flex less in their SW and LW because they are using those wedges for partial shots more often than not.

Aside from my PW which seems to be about 0.25" longer - all my other wedges (52*,56*,60*) are all the same length. I have the same shafts in all my irons Aerotech SF i80. Couldn't tell you about lie angles as I don't know where my spec/build sheet is at this time. But that doesn't matter as when I decide to get new wedges I'll get them from my fitter. He has the specs and knows how to build them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

22 hours ago, GB13 said:

I'm not sure why the sbove won't clear.

But thank you all for answering.

Lots of great feedback

And I'll say it again... To take the time to respond to my query...you guys are the best

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

My wedges are a mixed bag and each of the four of them have a different purpose in mind for what I use them for. The 54 and 50 degree are purely for full shots from 100-115 yards respectively so those two are the same type. My PW I use from 125-130, but also for chips around the green. My PW is completely different from all of my other irons as I need one that not only flies good on full shots, but one where I am confident around the greens with it. My 58 is unique in that I use it for a lot of different yardage from about 90 yards and in and from the sand. I swap out my 58 wedge more often than any other club and will get a new one when I lose confidence on those 60 yard half shots that are so crucial to scoring for my game. If I stop having confidence with that 60 yard shot I start looking to replace the 58. It’s a club that is hard for me to keep in my bag for very long. But my current Cleveland RTX mid bounce 58 has been really good to me for almost a year now, so we’ll see how long it lasts.

I’ve honestly never looked at the length in conparison for my wedges. I am thinking of the purpose of each wedge versus whatever length it is. As long as it works for it’s purpose, the length doesn’t matter to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

thanks guys for the responses.

I'll definitely look at getting fit and take my pw to get a comparison as I start. 

Dexterity:

My wedges are also all the same length and same shaft flex as my irons with the exception of my 60 which is still steel shafted and a bit heavier than the others (its the club that I rarely hit full.)
Wedges are hugely important - for me they are more important than irons and behind only driver and putter for scoring - I would argue that this is more than likely the case for the majority of golfers.  You should go to a fitter or do some experimenting to determine what sort of wedge set up works best for you.  Tons of variables that might impact your decision making including the course conditions that you normally play in.  Prior to switching to a V soled wedge which is very versatile, I had alternate wedges that would sub into my set when conditions changed or if I was playing a different course that required different types of shots (Being able to play year round is a blessing but courses are radically different in Florida from summer to winter/early Spring - you can see them transitioning right now - our rough is finally dormant and once cut won't be the issue it is in the summer months, the fairways are speeding up so that there is some roll but greens are getting firmer by the week - different shots are requires when greens are missed.)
At any rate, good question and good luck. 

Also different types of grass as well

On 11/24/2018 at 10:06 AM, deejaid said:

I’ve been giving my wedges a lot of thought lately. I bought my Hogan Ft. Worth irons and matching TK15 wedges and put the same KBS C-Taper Lite shafts in all of them. Because the TK15 wedges are just a continuation of the Ft. Worth irons in head shape, I figured I’d build the wedges as similar as the irons.

I play my wedges in .25” increments

Deejaid, why the .25" increments?. Is it because that gives you the distances you want or another reason?

Dexterity:

On 11/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, Mr_Theoo said:

I also soft stepped my wedge shafts.

What do you mean by this? And why?

On 11/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, GB13 said:

I play my wedges with the same shafts and the same flex. I like the consistency across the bag. I do play my wedges 1° flatter than my irons to get a better fit around ....

I was going to ask does this not affect the full swing but Jlukes reply I think answers this question

Dexterity:

18 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

I was going to ask does this not affect the full swing but Jlukes reply I think answers this question

With wedges, even with full swings, you generate less speed which causes less shaft deflection. Therefore the the lie needs to be flatter anyway so it doesn't affect the full swing much. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Deejaid, why the .25" increments?. Is it because that gives you the distances you want or another reason?

I did that just as a continuation of the design philosophy of the TK15 wedges. Terry Koehler advocates the different shape of the TK wedges is to allow for better ball flight on full swings, so, my thinking was that I should keep the 1/2” increments between wedges, just like my irons. With that many wedges though, I realized my 59* and 63* wedges would be getting pretty short if I went with the 1/2” increments so I decided on 1/4” increments.

As I said, in theory, it’s sounds smart to have as many lofts as possible in your wedges, but for me it just felt overwhelming. I had too many choices.

I’ve also tried playing my wedges all the same length before as well, didn’t like that at all.

Now I’m back to having my sand wedge (old Hogan Sand Iron, I believe it’s 57*) as my highest lofted wedge and I’m more confident in making multiple swings with one club, instead of one swing with multiple clubs.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

1 hour ago, Har in the Hat said:

In my wedges I have X flex c-tapers but instead of the wedge shaft I used the 8i shaft. Basically it makes it a spinner shaft. 

Generally with me no match. Most of the time I only carry 2 wedges. They will vary in flex and sometimes length. I experiment with wedges a lot. If I get one to feel and hit like I want it to then the shaft flex and length is un important to me. I do a lot of wedge tuning. Generally though I play a stiffer but softer tipped shaft in my wedges. Which gives me a good combo. Brands mostly I am fond of 588s and old 252 Vokeys--- Right now I am experimenting with a Callaway PM grind that I reground by hand filing the sole and reweighting. I am not really fond of KBS wedge shafts but in this head it seems to work fine. I did the regrind to mimic the neutral sole grind of a Macgregor wedge I have. Most of my wedges I have the lie at 65*

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

8 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

In my wedges I have X flex c-tapers but instead of the wedge shaft I used the 8i shaft. Basically it makes it a spinner shaft. 

Yep that is called "Tiger Stepping" Tiger made that famous. That thing will really kick and spin especially with a DG shaft. Basically that is a soft step x 2 or double soft stepping. I have not tried that trick YET with a KBS but you got the experimental train rolling I will try it soon

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I use C-Taper 130s in my irons. I’ve tried to use the S+ 125s before and they felt good, but I don’t think that it did much for the spin. In my last set I put KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 in the X flex and I noticed the softer tip, but not much more spin than before. I bought some RTX-4s with just the standard S400 Tour issues and they feel similar to the hi-Revs, but I’m definitely seeing more spin. That might just be the wedge head, but the difference has been noticeable.
I’m standard length on all my irons and wedges and I’m one up on the irons and standard on the wedges. I felt like I pulled fewer wedges when they were just a little flatter.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, deejaid said:

I did that just as a continuation of the design philosophy of the TK15 wedges. Terry Koehler advocates the different shape of the TK wedges is to allow for better ball flight on full swings, so, my thinking was that I should keep the 1/2” increments between wedges, just like my irons. With that many wedges though, I realized my 59* and 63* wedges would be getting pretty short if I went with the 1/2” increments so I decided on 1/4” increments.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:05 PM, Mr_Theoo said:

On 12/1/2018 at 8:14 PM, BIG STU said:

IRight now I am experimenting with a Callaway PM grind that I reground by hand filing the sole and reweighting. I am not really fond of KBS wedge shafts but in this head it seems to work fine. I did the regrind to mimic the neutral sole grind of a Macgregor wedge I have. Most of my wedges I have the lie at 65*

On 12/1/2018 at 8:17 PM, BIG STU said:

Yep that is called "Tiger Stepping" Tiger made that famous. That thing will really kick and spin especially with a DG shaft. Basically that is a soft step x 2 or double soft stepping. I have not tried that trick YET with a KBS but you got the experimental train rolling I will try it soon

Guys

The wealth of information that one can get from a forum and the intelligence within is amazing. You guys are 👩‍🎓👩‍🎓👩‍🎓

Dexterity:

On 12/16/2018 at 11:14 PM, Har in the Hat said:

Guys

The wealth of information that one can get from a forum and the intelligence within is amazing. You guys are 👩‍🎓👩‍🎓👩‍🎓

Thanks man-- To be honest mine I feel is from experience and piddling with clubs especially wedges over the years. I am a wedge ho--- Trust me I have had my Turkeys too and have a staff bag full of failed experiment wedges--- I am lucky that I do work for a metal recycling company and pick up a lot of clubs really cheap. Sometimes it takes me a while to get a club right unless I screw it up first. That before mentioned Cally wedge I have been messing with it on and off for a year

G

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 11:14 PM, Har in the Hat said:

Guys

Yes, this is all crazy good information.

As I'm finally paying attention to my golf game, I really went through a lot of studying before making my last purchase on wedges. My C300s stop at a 48* gap wedge, and after some conversation with jlukes in another thread, I decided to start with a 54* and 60* setup starting out. Someday I may go to 52/56/60, but I think for my purposes and goals this will work just fine.

The C300s are a little long to begin with (1/2", I think), but I looked up the specs for the optional SW (35.50") and had both the 54* and 60* built to that length by Golfworks, using KBS Hi-Rev regular shafts. I don't anticipate hitting too many full on shots, and somewhere I read Tom Wishon actually advocates going softer in flex for most wedges, so hopefully this all works out. I may need to tinker with some counterweighting as these wedges are going to come in around D8 swingweight, which is six points higher than the GW and all of the other irons in the set.

The idea of "Tiger stepping" seems like something worth experimenting with, and is certainly something I'd consider in the future.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

irons are Modus tour 105's in 'S'

wedges I chose as they are forged and I chose by loft. Shafts are Regular as they 'felt' better plus I dont swing as hard with wedges.

/disclaimer...I am cr*p with wedges 🙄 , have been for years. Just booked lessons to sort that out as it's costing me big time on the course

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I play my wedges with wedge flex shafts standard length but 1 degree flatter than my irons.  My irons are +1/2" and 1 degree flat.  Never considered putting the same shafts in the wedges as my irons but something to consider when I replace my SM6s.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

irons are Modus tour 105's in 'S'
wedges I chose as they are forged and I chose by loft. Shafts are Regular as they 'felt' better plus I dont swing as hard with wedges.

/disclaimer...I am cr*p with wedges  , have been for years. Just booked lessons to sort that out as it's costing me big time on the course
I'm playing the same shafts in my irons. Debating ordering some glide stealth wedges in modus 120 regular flex. Still contemplating lofts

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

There’s a bunch of pros who play x100 shafts in irons and s400 in their wedges. Others have one brand in their irons and a different brand and weight in wedges.  It really comes down to what each person wants to do.  As I contemplate going back to recoils I’ll have 110s in my irons and wedge proto 125s from gw thru lw

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

I have a funny setup that would make any club fitter's eyes roll but it sort of suits me. In my irons I play Nippon NS PRO 950GH whereas in my wedges (Cleveland RTX-3) I play stock DG S300 shafts which are almost 50% heavier than my iron shafts. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but as I said, I kind of like it. Wedges I play are basically blades and heavier shafts help me make better contact with the ball on full and shorter swings.

Also, stock wedge shafts that come with Cleveland RTX-3 are just 0,125'' shorter wedge to wedge whereas usually there is 0,25'' difference between wedges. It basically feels like swinging the same club regardless of the loft. 

I don't advocate replicating my setup at any means, just saying tastes vary from golfer to golfer. 

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

Archived