TESTERS WANTED! ×

Opinions of Golf Fitness Training

A little bit of background about myself first. 23 yrs old, BS in Exercise Sports Science w/ Golf Fitness Specialization.

We can’t deny that most of not all tour pros do some sort of fitness training these days whether it is geared towards improvement or maintaining strength, stability and speed. Yet It seems amateur golfers are still divided on what the benefits are and if it is worth their time.

My big question is, What part is stopping more players from investing more in their fitness to improve their own performance? Is it time, money, education, or desire?

Feel free to comment and share your own experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

No stopping me. As I got older I noticed a definite reduction in both strength and flexibility. So earlier this year I started a program focused on both. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 hours ago, jturner7499 said:

My big question is, What part is stopping more players from investing more in their fitness to improve their own performance? Is it time, money, education, or desire?

Time? Got plenty of it.

Money? I do alright.

Education? Got it.

Desire? Got that too.

But you forgot one other important item. Laziness. And I'm including me in that category. Why aren't I exercising now instead of sitting here pecking on a keyboard? Good question. But here's my answer. I just finished playing golf a few hours ago and don't feel like it.

What I've said recently in another Post is that I need to get back on my Roger Fredericks stretching program. I also want to give the SuperSpeed Golf training a go. I'm almost 64 with a 5 hcp. So I play a decent game. But if I don't start helping myself my game is going to start sliding. And I don't want that. So...

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 11/24/2018 at 4:58 PM, PlaidJacket said:
Time? Got plenty of it.
Money? I do alright.
Education? Got it.
Desire? Got that too.
But you forgot one other important item. Laziness. And I'm including me in that category. Why aren't I exercising now instead of sitting here pecking on a keyboard? Good question. But here's my answer. I just finished playing golf a few hours ago and don't feel like it.
What I've said recently in another Post is that I need to get back on my Roger Fredericks stretching program. I also want to give the SuperSpeed Golf training a go. I'm almost 64 with a 5 hcp. So I play a decent game. But if I don't start helping myself my game is going to start sliding. And I don't want that. So...

Motivation is probably the single biggest factor for many people. In the past I found it was tough starting a program but three or four days into it motivation becomes much less of a factor especially if one sticks to a schedule.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I'd 100% say laziness. Most of us have the time, exercise doesn't cost money, education, we all know exercise is good for us, and desire, we all want to improve our golf games. I could be doing an exercise routine right now, but the fact is, I don't really want to. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

A little bit of background about myself first. 23 yrs old, BS in Exercise Sports Science w/ Golf Fitness Specialization. We can’t deny that most of not all tour pros do some sort of fitness training these days whether it is geared towards improvement or maintaining strength, stability and speed. Yet It seems amateur golfers are still divided on what the benefits are and if it is worth their time.

As you grow older and take on more of life’s responsibilities your priorities change. A good number of people utilize golf as a way to get away from work and unwind. While they want to get better and enjoy talking about equipment and getting better, time and desire is just not on their side. If you start adding activities that make golf seem more like work than play then it loses it desired effect.

For professionals and aspiring professionals a strategically developed fitness plan is necessary to achieve optimal performance. Their job is their bodies so to reach that peak performance they must take advantage of any and all activities that will provide them an edge. Again, in contrast to the aforementioned workman’s attitude the overwhelming majority of Golfers are of the weekend variety and they just want to get away with their buds (and Bud) to enjoy themselves.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Time? Got plenty of it.
Money? I do alright.
Education? Got it.
Desire? Got that too.

I let my game slide because of a lack of fitness so since February I’ve been working on that. Enrolled in a program through work and have dropped over 40 lbs. through diet and exercise.

The next month will be challenging as there will be goodies galore sitting on the table in the staff lounge - it’s already started and I’ve avoided it but it will only get worse. There’s also the ongoing temptation to let go and drink too much because it’s the holiday season.

I would say it’s desire - it doesn’t take much beyond that to stay in shape.

Good luck to the OP on his career.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

All of these post have given me some insight.
As a general notion the hardest part is getting someone to commit to a program. Once they are in it and start to see results it should be relatively easy from there. Continue to tweak and adjust to their personal needs and preferences.
But the key is always getting them started.

As a general notion the hardest part is getting someone to commit to a program. Once they are in it and start to see results it should be relatively easy from there. Continue to tweak and adjust to their personal needs and preferences.

I think started and past the first hurdle (whatever that might be for them).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

13 hours ago, jturner7499 said:

I think once they start, and start seeing results, they'll be in for the long run. 

14 hours ago, jturner7499 said:

43 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I think once they start, and start seeing results, they'll be in for the long run. 

Maybe.  It's easy to get started in anything, but harder to stick with it.  Read the last few posts in the SuperSpeed Golf testing thread.  We all saw reasonable results through Level 1, but there is a plateau that we all reached.  We knew that going in, but it's still tough to keep it going.  Being part of this test as a group is helping, but many people would probably stop after a couple of weeks of no improvement.  It's a process, just like a specific fitness program for whatever you want to achieve.

It's easy to find an excuse to not do a session; I'm a little sore today, I'll feel better tomorrow; the weather is awful, it will improve by tomorrow.  Many of us don't recover once we skip a session or two.  It's procrastination.  

"I was going to join the Procrastinator's Club, but I kept putting it off." 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm 62, heading towards 63 in the near future, but am fairly fit as I've made it a life-long goal to maintain my health and ability to participate in outdoor activities.

Over this past year - following a hip replacement and all the associated PT - I decided to continue not only the hip exercises but start a new PT program with a trainer for golf-specific exercises.

In combination with several lessons by the end of the season I made a lot of progress with my game.

So along the lines of what others have already mentioned, it's a multi-part process to get people involved, eg....
1. Build awareness of a golf specific workout and its benefits;
2. Get them in the door to get started;
And
3. Keep them engaged by showing them they're making progress with both their fitness and flexibility AND in their golf swing .. eg. better core rotation.
* Helps to have an indoor simulator to hit balls after each session.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Maybe.  It's easy to get started in anything, but harder to stick with it.  Read the last few posts in the SuperSpeed Golf testing thread.  We all saw reasonable results through Level 1, but there is a plateau that we all reached.  We knew that going in, but it's still tough to keep it going.  Being part of this test as a group is helping, but many people would probably stop after a couple of weeks of no improvement.  It's a process, just like a specific fitness program for whatever you want to achieve.

It's easy to find an excuse to not do a session; I'm a little sore today, I'll feel better tomorrow; the weather is awful, it will improve by tomorrow.  Many of us don't recover once we skip a session or two.  It's procrastination.  

"I was going to join the Procrastinator's Club, but I kept putting it off." 

Imo when it comes to fitness/health many have a “I want to see results now” mentality or don’t understand realize the amount of effort that goes into getting in shape. Look at diets. Everyone’s looking for the new fad diet or magic pill that’s going to drop all their extra weight. From Atkins, beach body, keto, liquid only, etc. some see quick results then plateau and in many cases add all the weight and then some back on.

Anyone interested in improving their diet, health or fitness has to approach it being a lifestyle and not a diet. To me diet is your daily routine of eating. Some have a good one, some a bad one and some in between.  When a person looks at it from a lifestyle change and mentality it becomes much easier. Depending on ones goals you will either be in a deficit to lose weight, maintenance to keep what you have or surplus to add some mass.  

Many don’t want to make the sacrifices needed to do what it takes. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 hours ago, jturner7499 said:

Getting people to commit to anything in life is next to impossible, depending on what it is.  I may go off the deep end here, but here are some of my random thoughts on this topic.

I was an avid fitness person growing up and in my 20s.  I was on the swim and golf team in high school, and ran some cross country and played soccer and baseball growing up.  So staying in shape for me when I was young wasn't even a thought, but merely a way of life.  I loved being active and outside, so that is what I did.  Then I joined the Marine Corps out of high school, and they made it mandatory to stay in shape.  Granted, with my cross country and soccer background I had no problem doing the running and staying in shape for that.

After my 4 years in the Corps I kept running and kept swimming, and basically kept going with that.  I entered a few 5k and 10k races, and had a goal to one day run a marathon.  I also found some guys to play racquetball with, which I found to not only be great fun, but fantastic exercise.

Then I got married, had kids, and my exercise and fitness regimen came and went with my moods.  I'd get motivated to run, or do something, but then I'd get distracted with family or whatever and that would go away.  Somehow though I managed to keep running over the years on and off.

About 5 years ago I was playing racquetball at the local club when my back went out.  I've been seeing a chiropractor ever since, and while he was able to put me back together and make me functional, I am now forever aware of the condition of my back, and I am actually afraid that running again might cause my back to go out.  I swim on and off now, but my motivation to do it is minimal, which means that if anything gets in the way of me getting to the pool I don't put up a fight.  The local pool for me is the Florida State University aquatics center, which means that the general public are last on the pecking order of available time to swim there.  So if the team, or other clubs are using the pool, you can't use it.  I've tried another health club locally that has a pool, but I found that getting a lane at that pool at almost anytime I was available was next to impossible.  So the limited access to a pool has definitely caused me to lose motivation to swim much, if at all.

I guess I'm actually really lucky in that I have a high metabolism which means I have never had to worry about my weight.  I've been skinny all my life, and eating junk, and whatever I want doesn't seem to affect my weight at all.  So for me, losing weight has never been a consideration for fitness.  I just did it because it came naturally to me.  But now with my back out I have really scaled back and limit myself to just golf basically for exercise.

With regards to motivating people to do fitness, it's all priority to whomever you are talking about.  Me personally, I can sit at home and watch 5 hours of TV and think nothing of it.  But running for even 15 minutes doesn't cross my mind.  For others, I'll use my Saturday as an example.  I spent about 5+ hours tailgating with friends for a football game, and there was about 10,000 other people out there cooking, and drinking, and partying, etc, and the amount of time and money everyone spent on the tailgate for that one day would probably be enough for to pay for whatever fitness regimen you were looking into doing for a year.  Not picking on anyone, but as a society we've become incredibly lazy and entertainment centric.  People will tailgate and spend 22 hours of a Saturday towards a college football game, but you can't get them to spend 5 minutes working out...ever.  It's the same thing with money as well.  Lots invested in entertainment and the fun stuff.  But ask them to commit to working out, and no one will show up.  We've got a ton of recreational time available to us and honestly I think everyone just wants to have fun and party, and not think about anything seriously.  It's not being critical of what I see, but merely an observation.  

I'll end this post with one other observation.  We talk a lot here about the state of golf and how the numbers are down with regards to golf courses and rounds played.  I was with friends in Atlanta this past weekend and we looked into going to Top Golf on Friday night.  By the time we tried to book time there, the soonest we could have gotten in was 11:00 pm.  I mean, that's past my bedtime.  So whether you poo poo Top Golf and/or don't consider it part of real golf, evidently those people have found a niche that works, and sells.  Again, they are mixing the entertainment aspect of our culture with a golf-themed activity.  People that won't step foot on a golf course are going to Top Golf.  Is there fitness in that?  Probably not.  But our culture is buying entertainment and fun right now, and Top Golf is one outlet to experience that.  Fitness in and of itself does not fall into that category.  How you win people to fitness is by making it part of the entertainment culture.  I'm sure some creative minds will come up with ways to profit off of that idea.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Imo when it comes to fitness/health many have a “I want to see results now” mentality or don’t understand realize the amount of effort that goes into getting in shape. Look at diets. Everyone’s looking for the new fad diet or magic pill that’s going to drop all their extra weight. From Atkins, beach body, keto, liquid only, etc. some see quick results then plateau and in many cases add all the weight and then some back on.

Anyone interested in improving their diet, health or fitness has to approach it being a lifestyle and not a diet. To me diet is your daily routine of eating. Some have a good one, some a bad one and some in between.  When a person looks at it from a lifestyle change and mentality it becomes much easier. Depending on ones goals you will either be in a deficit to lose weight, maintenance to keep what you have or surplus to add some mass.  

Many don’t want to make the sacrifices needed to do what it takes. 

the culture just wants to have fun and be entertained.  You will get people to lose weight when you entertain them and make it fun in the process.  But based on general observation, no one has figured out how to do that yet, as it's a good thing that body mass, and obesity don't affect the earth's rotation, as the USA is certainly disproportionately overweight.

Should I have not been eating a Taco Bell lunch while I was reading this thread 🙄

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Should I have not been eating a Taco Bell lunch while I was reading this thread 🙄

Taco Bell can make you lose weight in other ways... 

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

I'm 62, heading towards 63 in the near future, but am fairly fit as I've made it a life-long goal to maintain my health and ability to participate in outdoor activities.

Over this past year - following a hip replacement and all the associated PT - I decided to continue not only the hip exercises but start a new PT program with a trainer for golf-specific exercises.

In combination with several lessons by the end of the season I made a lot of progress with my game.

So along the lines of what others have already mentioned, it's a multi-part process to get people involved, eg....
1. Build awareness of a golf specific workout and its benefits;
2. Get them in the door to get started;
And
3. Keep them engaged by showing them they're making progress with both their fitness and flexibility AND in their golf swing .. eg. better core rotation.
* Helps to have an indoor simulator to hit balls after each session.

Well, I'm 71 and halfway to 72, and I am far from fit.  I used to be fairly fit.  Like @GSwag I did all of the sports and I started running in the late 70's to lose weight.  I was probably in the best shape of my life in 1983 when I ran a marathon.  Once I did it, I quit running.  Remember Jim Fixx??  Look him up.  I used his book as the plan for running the marathon.  He died 9 months after I ran the marathon at the age of 52.  

When I turned 50, I had many aches and pains, and that only made exercise that much more difficult to start.  I wanted to play golf, but if I exercised, I hurt enough that golf was not as much fun as I wanted it to be.  As you get older, it's more difficult to start and keep on a program; plus, the weight keeps piling on.  

I know that if I exercise more, my golf game would get better, but my body ignores my mind.  This SuperSpeed Golf testing program is the longest golf exercise activity (yes, I consider it exercise as well as training) that I have done in years.  I hope I can keep doing it even after the testing period is over.  I am should be committed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, GSwag said:

the culture just wants to have fun and be entertained.  You will get people to lose weight when you entertain them and make it fun in the process.  But based on general observation, no one has figured out how to do that yet, as it's a good thing that body mass, and obesity don't affect the earth's rotation, as the USA is certainly disproportionately overweight.

That may be part of it but I see people in the gym that seemed to be entertained in the various group classes that look exactly the same week after week and I’ve been in my current gym regularly for 3+ years. Golfers are entertained when they play but without the desire, discipline, dedication and commitment to get better nothing will change 

Many are good mon-fri and then over indulge on the weekend.  One has to make the choice to accept that getting/staying healthy is a lifestyle and not something that come easy or without work 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Many are good mon-fri and then over indulge on the weekend.  One has to make the choice to accept that getting/staying healthy is a lifestyle and not something that come easy or without work 

I totally agree, but from what I see in general, very few, if any, are interested in hard work or putting forth even minimal effort towards anything in life.  We're lazy, obese and highly medicated/drunk/high as a culture in general.  Just look at all the laws passed in the last few years allowing marijuana to be legalized in various states.  That should tell you all you need to know, regardless of your opinion on whether pot is harmful to you or not.

As an example, try hiring someone for a lower paying entry level job where manual labor is involved.  I bet you go through at least a dozen people before you find at least one person that meets minimal accepted standards for the job.  I work in such an environment, and I've lost count of the number of people, mostly in their 20's or younger who want the paycheck, but don't understand why they have to actually do the work to earn it.  The last few people that actually made it past even 30 days at my shop were married, with kids, and/or over 40 years old.

26 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I totally agree, but from what I see in general, very few, if any, are interested in hard work or putting forth even minimal effort towards anything in life.  We're lazy, obese and highly medicated/drunk/high as a culture in general.  Just look at all the laws passed in the last few years allowing marijuana to be legalized in various states.  That should tell you all you need to know, regardless of your opinion on whether pot is harmful to you or not.

As an example, try hiring someone for a lower paying entry level job where manual labor is involved.  I bet you go through at least a dozen people before you find at least one person that meets minimal accepted standards for the job.  I work in such an environment, and I've lost count of the number of people, mostly in their 20's or younger who want the paycheck, but don't understand why they have to actually do the work to earn it.  The last few people that actually made it past even 30 days at my shop were married, with kids, and/or over 40 years old.

Agree on all parts. I see it everywhere I go. It used to be you could tell the ones who weren’t working hard/putting in effort compared to others and now it’s the opposite. The ones who are trying and dedicated stand out easy. 

Technology and instant gratification ruined a lot of things 

19 hours ago, GB13 said:

Taco Bell can make you lose weight in other ways... 

You were right 😨

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I hate to say it like this but I workout nearly 7 days a week. A couple of those are very light. But my main reason for working out is that I love playing amateur tournaments and showing up looking like a professional that has to keep their body in pristine condition for the season. But for me that's my desire and work ethic. I work a full time corporate job and still jump into a retail job once a week that I've held since college and still find time to workout. If someone puts that as their priority then they will find the time and get in the gym.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I hate to say it like this but I workout nearly 7 days a week. A couple of those are very light. But my main reason for working out is that I love playing amateur tournaments and showing up looking like a professional that has to keep their body in pristine condition for the season. But for me that's my desire and work ethic. I work a full time corporate job and still jump into a retail job once a week that I've held since college and still find time to workout. If someone puts that as their priority then they will find the time and get in the gym.

Your comments go back to a point I made in an earlier post - it's all about motivation.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

16 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Your comments go back to a point I made in an earlier post - it's all about motivation.

While I agree it’s about motivation but it’s more about commitment. Motivation can come and go and is usually what leads to the “i’ll skip today and make up for it tomorrow” where commitment pushes one to fight off that thought and they get it done 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I agree it’s about motivation but it’s more about commitment. Motivation can come and go and is usually what leads to the “i’ll skip today and make up for it tomorrow” where commitment pushes one to fight off that thought and they get it done 

I think we all agree but are getting held up on what to call it. Lack of Motivation or Commitment, the end result is it leads to stopping and never starting again. 

Good point. Guess motivation gets you going, commitment keeps you going.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

47 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Good point. Guess motivation gets you going, commitment keeps you going.

Pretty much. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:44 AM, jturner7499 said:

A little bit of background about myself first. 23 yrs old, BS in Exercise Sports Science w/ Golf Fitness Specialization.

We can’t deny that most of not all tour pros do some sort of fitness training these days whether it is geared towards improvement or maintaining strength, stability and speed. Yet It seems amateur golfers are still divided on what the benefits are and if it is worth their time.

When it comes to hiring a personal trainer to maximize benefit, it's definitely a money issue for myself. Also, there's a lack of knowledgeable experts who specialize in golf in my immediate area. There used to be a guy in town who was Level 1 TPI certified, but he either moved on or didn't keep up with it. 

I feel like I know a thing or two about athletic training though (I played sports throughout junior high and high school as well as participated in strength and conditioning courses). I've also done a lot of independent study and have accumulated a variety of golf specific programs from various coaches throughout the past 5 years. So going it alone is certainly an option, but the biggest hurdle recently has been time and maybe a little bit of desire - not that I don't have a desire to be fit, but I don't have ENOUGH desire to prioritize the gym over other activities. 

I don't see education as being a huge deterrent for myself or for others. It could depend on how you're asking that question as well. Are you asking if people are hesitant due to a lack of information? Or, are you asking if people refuse help because they're over "educated" due to an abundance of information available online?

As it relates to golfers specifically, I also think it's important to ask whether or not people don't hit the gym because of stigma and misconceptions about the relationships between strength, flexibility, and mobility. People like to talk about people who are "jacked" and somehow limited in their flexibility or something. Ever heard of Jason Zuback? For that matter, look at Brooks Koepka, or even Gary Woodland (who I mistook for Koepka the first time I saw him in person because of his size). You can be strong AND flexible AND mobile. I think a lot of people still struggle with that.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Archived