Opinions of Golf Fitness Training

26 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I totally agree, but from what I see in general, very few, if any, are interested in hard work or putting forth even minimal effort towards anything in life.  We're lazy, obese and highly medicated/drunk/high as a culture in general.  Just look at all the laws passed in the last few years allowing marijuana to be legalized in various states.  That should tell you all you need to know, regardless of your opinion on whether pot is harmful to you or not.

As an example, try hiring someone for a lower paying entry level job where manual labor is involved.  I bet you go through at least a dozen people before you find at least one person that meets minimal accepted standards for the job.  I work in such an environment, and I've lost count of the number of people, mostly in their 20's or younger who want the paycheck, but don't understand why they have to actually do the work to earn it.  The last few people that actually made it past even 30 days at my shop were married, with kids, and/or over 40 years old.

Agree on all parts. I see it everywhere I go. It used to be you could tell the ones who weren’t working hard/putting in effort compared to others and now it’s the opposite. The ones who are trying and dedicated stand out easy. 

Technology and instant gratification ruined a lot of things 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, GB13 said:

Taco Bell can make you lose weight in other ways... 

You were right 😨

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I hate to say it like this but I workout nearly 7 days a week. A couple of those are very light. But my main reason for working out is that I love playing amateur tournaments and showing up looking like a professional that has to keep their body in pristine condition for the season. But for me that's my desire and work ethic. I work a full time corporate job and still jump into a retail job once a week that I've held since college and still find time to workout. If someone puts that as their priority then they will find the time and get in the gym.

• Like 3

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

I hate to say it like this but I workout nearly 7 days a week. A couple of those are very light. But my main reason for working out is that I love playing amateur tournaments and showing up looking like a professional that has to keep their body in pristine condition for the season. But for me that's my desire and work ethic. I work a full time corporate job and still jump into a retail job once a week that I've held since college and still find time to workout. If someone puts that as their priority then they will find the time and get in the gym.

Your comments go back to a point I made in an earlier post - it's all about motivation.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

16 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Your comments go back to a point I made in an earlier post - it's all about motivation.

While I agree it’s about motivation but it’s more about commitment. Motivation can come and go and is usually what leads to the “i’ll skip today and make up for it tomorrow” where commitment pushes one to fight off that thought and they get it done 

• Like 3

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I agree it’s about motivation but it’s more about commitment. Motivation can come and go and is usually what leads to the “i’ll skip today and make up for it tomorrow” where commitment pushes one to fight off that thought and they get it done 

I think we all agree but are getting held up on what to call it. Lack of Motivation or Commitment, the end result is it leads to stopping and never starting again. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Good point. Guess motivation gets you going, commitment keeps you going.

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

47 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Good point. Guess motivation gets you going, commitment keeps you going.

Pretty much. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:44 AM, jturner7499 said:

A little bit of background about myself first. 23 yrs old, BS in Exercise Sports Science w/ Golf Fitness Specialization.

We can’t deny that most of not all tour pros do some sort of fitness training these days whether it is geared towards improvement or maintaining strength, stability and speed. Yet It seems amateur golfers are still divided on what the benefits are and if it is worth their time.

My big question is, What part is stopping more players from investing more in their fitness to improve their own performance? Is it time, money, education, or desire?

Feel free to comment and share your own experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

When it comes to hiring a personal trainer to maximize benefit, it's definitely a money issue for myself. Also, there's a lack of knowledgeable experts who specialize in golf in my immediate area. There used to be a guy in town who was Level 1 TPI certified, but he either moved on or didn't keep up with it. 

I feel like I know a thing or two about athletic training though (I played sports throughout junior high and high school as well as participated in strength and conditioning courses). I've also done a lot of independent study and have accumulated a variety of golf specific programs from various coaches throughout the past 5 years. So going it alone is certainly an option, but the biggest hurdle recently has been time and maybe a little bit of desire - not that I don't have a desire to be fit, but I don't have ENOUGH desire to prioritize the gym over other activities. 

I don't see education as being a huge deterrent for myself or for others. It could depend on how you're asking that question as well. Are you asking if people are hesitant due to a lack of information? Or, are you asking if people refuse help because they're over "educated" due to an abundance of information available online?

As it relates to golfers specifically, I also think it's important to ask whether or not people don't hit the gym because of stigma and misconceptions about the relationships between strength, flexibility, and mobility. People like to talk about people who are "jacked" and somehow limited in their flexibility or something. Ever heard of Jason Zuback? For that matter, look at Brooks Koepka, or even Gary Woodland (who I mistook for Koepka the first time I saw him in person because of his size). You can be strong AND flexible AND mobile. I think a lot of people still struggle with that.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Maybe me. But I totally disagree with a golf oriented fitness regime. I’m more about a total body fitness regimen.Cardio- core work out - weights - yoga - circuit training- dieting . What is wrong with focusing on a compete body make over. For me being healthy is a little more important then having a great P4 golf position.Any type of fitness will help your golf game. Even lifting heavy weights. And a fitness trainer is ideal for this. Anywhere from $500-$1000 every two months. But so worth it. And I get upset if I can’t go 4 plus times a week for an hour or more.

Edited by Big money

Keep it in the short stuff

23 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

Try standing on concrete for 10 hours a day physically working. Let me know how how you feel about working out 7 days a week after that. Desire has nothing to do with it when you physically WORK 6 days a week. Just sayin'.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Try standing on concrete for 10 hours a day physically working. Let me know how how you feel about working out 7 days a week after that. Desire has nothing to do with it when you physically WORK 6 days a week. Just sayin'.

Excellent point. Very true!

I would also raise the point that I did that for 5 years, worked three jobs all of them physical. At one point over 200 days straight of a minimum 12 hours, some days 16 hours. I still found a way to get to the gym everyday. Desire does play a major role.

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

8 minutes ago, silver & black said:

But that should keep you in decent shape so do you even need to go to the gym after working? In that case, it isn't a lack of desire, you are (basically) working out 7 days a week anyway. 

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

9 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

Excellent point. Very true!

I would also raise the point that I did that for 5 years, worked three jobs all of them physical. At one point over 200 days straight of a minimum 12 hours, some days 16 hours. I still found a way to get to the gym everyday. Desire does play a major role.

I routinely work 10-12 hours a day at least 5 days a week, usually 6. Sometimes 30+ days without a day off.

I competed in full contact karate (predecessor to MMA) for 5 years, so I'm not a stranger to working out...lol. When you get to a certain age, some things just aren't as important as they once were.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silver & black said:

I routinely work 10-12 hours a day at least 5 days a week, usually 6. Sometimes 30+ days without a day off.

I competed in full contact karate (predecessor to MMA) for 5 years, so I'm not a stranger to working out...lol. When you get to a certain age, some things just aren't as important as they once were.

100% your last sentence sums it up... That is desire and priority, those change as life changes

In my bag: