TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra F9 Driver Thread

null

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

I get 160-162 at best right now, so it would be awesome to beat that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m at about 150 but a lot of that is due to having to time the epic up. I can’t swing as freely as I’d like and keep it on the planet

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

TS3 performance for me was better than the F9. Not by much, ball speeds, launch spin, were similar, F9 spun a little more but not much. Dispersion was significantly better with the TS3. Bottom line, the F9 is awesome, fun, a must try for anyone looking, but it did not beat the gamer. I was itching to buy, but Aloha golf is legit and told me it wasn’t worth it. They didn’t have the new pings or PXG heads in yet so can’t report on those. Titleist has a winner this year!

TS3 performance for me was better than the F9. Not by much, ball speeds, launch spin, were similar, F9 spun a little more but not much. Dispersion was significantly better with the TS3. Bottom line, the F9 is awesome, fun, a must try for anyone looking, but it did not beat the gamer. I was itching to buy, but Aloha golf is legit and told me it wasn’t worth it. They didn’t have the new pings or PXG heads in yet so can’t report on those. Titleist has a winner this year!

Were they able to offer shafts other than what is “stock” for the F9?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Were they able to offer shafts other than what is “stock” for the F9?

Yes, they had most aftermarket shafts available.
Best setup for me in the F9 was a 9 degree head with a 16 series TPT. I specifically asked to be fit into the TPT b/c I was curious on how they performed. Didn’t try any other high priced shafts. That said, it wasn’t too much better than the stock smoke or Atmos TS black. Was swinging average 103 mph, launching both drivers around 12-13, TS3 spinning ~2400 F9 slightly more at 2800, smash factors were almost identical at 1.46.

I 100% went in wanting to buy the F9. The numbers just were not there to justify.

9 minutes ago, djahubes said:

Yes, they had most aftermarket shafts available.
Best setup for me in the F9 was a 9 degree head with a 16 series TPT. I specifically asked to be fit into the TPT b/c I was curious on how they performed. Didn’t try any other high priced shafts. That said, it wasn’t too much better than the stock smoke or Atmos TS black. Was swinging average 103 mph, launching both drivers around 12-13, TS3 spinning ~2400 F9 slightly more at 2800, smash factors were almost identical at 1.46.

I 100% went in wanting to buy the F9. The numbers just were not there to justify.

I had a similar experience. I'm definitely going to give it another try in the swing. Would love to try it with a little heavier swing weight 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 12:45 PM, jlukes said:

I had a similar experience. I'm definitely going to give it another try in the swing. Would love to try it with a little heavier swing weight 

Did anybody place the 9* head down against the 10.5* head? I tried at the local shop but one was in plastic and couldn't get a visual on the shaping of the drivers. Are they the same or is the 9* a little more compact?

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

9 minutes ago, Brewmaster said:

Did anybody place the 9* head down against the 10.5* head? I tried at the local shop but one was in plastic and couldn't get a visual on the shaping of the drivers. Are they the same or is the 9* a little more compact?

Same shape.  Supposedly the internals are a little different that lowers the spin a little on the 9

... Just a reminder for those considering the F9 drivers. While there are some with high swing speeds that need to bring down their trajectory and spin, there are many more average players that actually need more spin to keep the ball in the air longer. Most average golfers do not play enough loft or generate enough spin to maximize their driving. So unless you have a negative angle of attack and hit the ball very high or of course generate a ton of speed and spin, loft and spin are your friends. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Great info from the Cobra Tour Van! Adding weight to the F9 crown keeps the ball speed and spin up for those shots that hit higher on the face. If I decide to buy one, I’ll be adding weight to the crown inside! Would make this driver even MORE ridiculous!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone considering one of these be aware of the loft on the model you're testing.

It's already been said, but just to expand on it, this is what @Tony Covey MGS article and he recently posted it on twitter:

f9.png

If the 10.5 isn't getting you what you want try the 9 degree!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Being a lefty is a pain.... can't find a F9 anywhere to try out! Not surprised it was rated so well in the Most Wanted test, Cobra has usually put out good products in the past few years. Quite interesting it came in as the most accurate. They had the 'twistface' before anyone else

Edited by JonMUSC08

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

4 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Being a lefty is a pain.... can't find a F9 anywhere to try out! Not surprised it was rated so well in the Moist Wanted test, Cobra has usually put out good products in the past few years. Quite interesting it came in as the most accurate. They had the 'twistface' before anyone else

I fall victim to auto correct with the best of them, but "moist" made me laugh. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

7 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I fall victim to auto correct with the best of them, but "moist" made me laugh. 

hahaha oops! Thanks for the catch. Must have fat fingered it.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 1 month later...

Anyone try the tour length version and care to comment on how it worked out for you?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

On 4/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

Anyone try the tour length version and care to comment on how it worked out for you?

Loaded question.  Some people can hit a 45"+ driver consistently in the center.  Most would benefit by getting to 44.5" or so.  My last few fitters said consistently that 44.5" is about the max people should play for consistency. 

With that said, I got an F8+ at 44.5" and absolutely loved it.  Hit the F9 vs my F8+ on a launch monitor, same exact shaft and got increased ball speeds (just a few mph which was equating to about +5 ish yards) but the more surprising was the consistency of strike and dispersion vs the F8+....and the F8+ was really really good during my 6 months with it. 

Just had a few range sessions with the F9 but I would say that it is incrementally better than the F8+ (for me) and was worth the cost to upgrade.  I felt that feeling the head during the swing was more vague in the F8+ vs the F9, even though actual head weight totals were identical. 

My son hits the F8+ and has much higher swing/ball speeds (in the 160+ ball speed area) - 44.5" for him as well.  He nuts it.

1 hour ago, Toro3150 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with differences between the Atmos TS Blue vs the Aldila NV 2KXV?  I'm kinda on the fence between the two.  F9 10.5 with SS of 93mph..., I'm looking at R flex, thanks!

... Keep in mind shafts can be very player specific and any individual can find a difference that is better or worse for their swing with the same shaft. The 2KXV is similar to the Atmos Blue in specs and performance. That said, I have found the TS Blue produces more ball speed and a little less spin. I have tried several shafts in my F9 and so far the TS Blue has performed better than any others for me. Ymmv 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I've hit both, the Atmos is the one I'd pick from those two, but I did want the Aldia to be better. 

Since your question is about what I'd pick, I can give you that answer, but which you should pick... Only a fitting could tell. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I've got to finish my fitting with the Cobra rep one day this week.  Based on the specs the Atmos is a little heavier and has less torque.  I've usually played stiff but with 93-95mph SS, the fitter wanted me to try regular.  I just don't like that "whippy" feeling of a regular flex.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, JonMUSC08 said:

Being a lefty is a pain.... can't find a F9 anywhere to try out! Not surprised it was rated so well in the Most Wanted test, Cobra has usually put out good products in the past few years. Quite interesting it came in as the most accurate. They had the 'twistface' before anyone else

According to Cobra's website, Edwin Watts or David Ayers LowCountry Custom Golf are Cobra fitters. Hopefully they have some lefty stuff for you.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 8:12 AM, Toro3150 said:

I've got to finish my fitting with the Cobra rep one day this week.  Based on the specs the Atmos is a little heavier and has less torque.  I've usually played stiff but with 93-95mph SS, the fitter wanted me to try regular.  I just don't like that "whippy" feeling of a regular flex.

Try the EvenFlow Stiff Shaft - I bought my F9 with it and love the performance I'm getting.  Just feels incredibly smooth.  I swing a similar speed, but can't stand the way the whip feels on a regular flex.  I just feel like I can't go after a ball.  

I've been gaming the F9 for a few months now (#Team Avalanche) and I originally had it paired with a Kuro Kage XD 70 S at 45", tipped 3/4" based on a fitting I had last year. I liked the way the shaft felt and performed, but I wanted to go a little lighter so I went to a Kuro Kage XD 60 S in the same specs. I took it out for the first time last Sunday and feel like the combo is going to help me find more fairways as long as I'm swinging somewhat competently. It has been awhile since I've gamed a Cobra driver, but the F9 SpeedBack is a bomber for me! 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

I've been gaming the F9 for a few months now (#Team Avalanche) and I originally had it paired with a Kuro Kage XD 70 S at 45", tipped 3/4" based on a fitting I had last year. I liked the way the shaft felt and performed, but I wanted to go a little lighter so I went to a Kuro Kage XD 60 S in the same specs. I took it out for the first time last Sunday and feel like the combo is going to help me find more fairways as long as I'm swinging somewhat competently. It has been awhile since I've gamed a Cobra driver, but the F9 SpeedBack is a bomber for me! 

SO you do like it? I have been looking into getting an F9 since January but I haven't pulled the trigger.  Most of the feedback I have seen on here and other places is that it is a beast for ball speed. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

1 minute ago, HeathS16 said:

SO you do like it? I have been looking into getting an F9 since January but I haven't pulled the trigger.  Most of the feedback I have seen on here and other places is that it is a beast for ball speed. 

Oh I definitely like it, but I think it's important to find a shaft you like to get best results. I know several people who have tried it with the stock shaft and they didn't see much of a difference. I switched from the Rogue with the same shaft, and I'm much longer based on the 'I hit the Rogue here, but I hit the F9 there' test. Sometimes I do wish I went with the 10.5 degree head, but I make the 9 played at 10 work. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 minute ago, mr.hicksta said:

Oh I definitely like it, but I think it's important to find a shaft you like to get best results. I know several people who have tried it with the stock shaft and they didn't see much of a difference. I switched from the Rogue with the same shaft, and I'm much longer based on the 'I hit the Rogue here, but I hit the F9 there' test. Sometimes I do wish I went with the 10.5 degree head, but I make the 9 played at 10 work. 

Thanks for the input, I am planning on getting fit here in the next week or two so I'll be sure to post what I end up with.  With the crazy wind here in Oklahoma I may be happy with a 9* 🙂 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I might need to revisit the F9. I did not give it much of a chance to stay in my bag. I could not get used to the stock grip when I first purchased it and instead of changing the grip I just took it back to Roger Dunn's. 

CA / 13.8 HDCP

Driver :taylormade-small: M3 9.5* with 44" Mitsubishi Tensei blue stiff shaft

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 3 hybrid 18* UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 graphite stiff

:callaway-small: Apex 19 5-AW with True Temper Elevate 95 stiff shafts

:titelist-small: SM6 54* and 58* wedges

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne Stealth 35"

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V One

On 5/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, Dg_sk said:

Try the EvenFlow Stiff Shaft - I bought my F9 with it and love the performance I'm getting.  Just feels incredibly smooth.  I swing a similar speed, but can't stand the way the whip feels on a regular flex.  I just feel like I can't go after a ball.  

No joke.  I went back for my follow-up fitting and didn't see this reply until today.  I was originally "quickly" fitted with Hzrdus Smoke 60g 6.0 and I was happy with it.  Carry was usually 210-215 and total would end up around 230-235.  At the follow-up fitting I ended up with the EvenFlow 65g 5.5 and OMG if I didn't experience it personally I would be skeptical if I were reading someone describing this.  My carry went up to 230-235 and the ball really rolls out too so total is now consistently in the 255-265 range.  I didn't believe those type of gains were possible.  It is a very smooth feeling shaft.  During the fitting it felt like I had to adjust my tempo as compared to the Hzrdus Smoke, I even commented to the fitter that it felt like I was swinging slower.  To my surprise, he told me my swing speed had actually increased with the EvenFlow.  So I'll repeat what so many others have said here, get fitted, and what's a fit for your buddy doesn't mean will be the fit for you. 

I had very similar experience - The Evenflow just rewarded me for getting my swing smooth.  I'm hitting it on average at least 20 yards longer, and now creeping closer to 30 yards now that I'm adjusting to it.  Very very happy with my purchase.

Well after seeing the high speed data come out today, I'm firmly convinced that the F9 is a real winner. Almost identical numbers to M5, but for much less $$.  Subjectively, the F9 feels/sounds so much better to me... The M5 was rather firm and hard feeling, especially on a miss hit. The F9 was extremely pleasing to strike, almost having some kind of 'softness' to it which I enjoyed. Lastly... there's just something really cool and edgy about the F9 that M5/M6 doesn't have. I think it's that the design of the M series is getting a little bit old. Cobra is keeping it pretty fresh.

F9 does seem to spin a little high but I think that's a problem one could solve with some addition of weight further up in the head. I believe Rickie Fowler stated he had to add a bunch of hot melt near the face to get the flight he needed. And besides, a little higher spin can benefit most of us as it really helps stabilize flight. Unless somebody is really hitting down on their driver, I've always found adding like 300 more RPM than "ideal" Trackman numbers helps me stay in the fairway.

One thing I'd love to see MGS do is to release the detailed data set for the testers. This test still looks like it was a summed up average of various skills and speeds, even for each sub set of swing speed.  I'm really curious how each driver performed under specific condtions in their testing such as guys around the 112-115 mph range, swinging up on the ball. Everything I've seen outside of this test looks to put the M5 in the extreme spin killing range, where F9 is toward the higher range. Epic SZ was also spinning much higher than I thought, too.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows