TESTERS WANTED! ×

Selecting the right club fitter

How do you decide if a fitter is the right one for you, if you don’t have a personal referral:

Obviously, credentials play a part.

Maybe they’re on the GD 100 Best Fitters list?

Or having the latest LM?

Being OEM agnostic makes sense – vs steering golfers to one brand or another.

Perhaps listening - especially when you say you’re on a budget?

What else comes to mind in your decision-making process?.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I would try to read reviews and see if anyone I know went to the fitter. It is tough to figure out if the fitter is good, just like determining if an instructor is good for you. I would also call or talk to the fitter to understand their approach to fitting based
on what I have learned about fitting and my expectations. Always ask questions; if they aren’t willing to answer they may not be the right fitter for you.

Ultimately it is like any service industry, everyone is different and what one person thinks is the best may be the worst for someone else.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We don't have many options here, but we have a local shop that is very knowledgeable and friendly. More importantly they take the time go out of their way to do things right for their customers. Bring them in a coffee and they are even happier!
Another important part is they carry all products and have no bias towards certain companies. Without a doubt the only place I go to buy clubs now and don't mind paying a bit more for the service and continued support they give if I need any tweaks it changes or just want to get some numbers in the LM.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

How do you decide if a fitter is the right one for you, if you don’t have a personal referral:

Here's a guy I think you might want to consider. He's located south of Columbus. Jim McCleery - McGolf. He's a forum member too. It'd be a 3.5 hour drive for you but I think worth it. My fitter is 4 hours from me.... and worth it.

http://www.mcgolf.net/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

5 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Here's a guy I think you might want to consider. He's located south of Columbus. Jim McCleery - McGolf. He's a forum member too. It'd be a 3.5 hour drive for you but I think worth it. My fitter is 4 hours from me.... and worth it.http://www.mcgolf.net/ 

Thx. I do recall the name - not sure who recommended him before.

Back to the original post - what criteria do you use to evaluate the fitter or decide between 2. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I either find a demo day because most reps are pretty good at fitting abd know their product plus are usually trained by the hq staff. If using a non demo day then it’s by references/reviews

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Honestly.... I interviewed 3 guys prior to my last fitting. It basically boiled down to who I thought I'd be most comfortable with I suppose. All three would have been most capable for sure. My fitter had the most experience and that might have swayed my decision some. I ultimately picked a guy that lives and breathes club fitting and most importantly.... club building. 30 years experience. He is meticulous and exacting. 

I've had a few emails or PM's with Jim. He knows my fitter too; as do most people in his profession. I also like watching Jim's YouTube vids. They're quite good.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Another thing is to make sure the fitter has multiple fitting carts and/or various heads and shafts and isn’t pushing one brand. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Another thing is to make sure the fitter has multiple fitting carts and/or various heads and shafts and isn’t pushing one brand. 

I was going to post something very similar.  Definitely make sure they are not tied to one brand and have the multiple fitting carts as RB mentioned. 

Also as others above said, ask questions don't feel you need to commit on your first visit or call, ask them them how they determine lie angle for example.   if he says a lie board, I'd be inclined to keep looking as that has become kind of an outdated method.   Just specific questions like that.   if you don't know the answers, you can always come back here and post his commnents and see what the general conscientious is. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Or having the latest LM?

There is a few things to consider while picking a fitter at least imo.
1. Are they a golfer?
Many golftec reps are not.
2. Do they listen to what you are looking for?
Maybe you know the shaft or weight you need.
3. Are they giving you suggestions?
Nothing worse than a fitter that lets you pick anything. Although you may love one brand but stats show you are 20% more accurate and hit 10+ yards with another.
4. I personally look for fitters that have their own bag as a mixed set. This shows they understand that one complete set isn’t necessarily the best for your game.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think it depends on what you’re looking for. I’ve done fittings at club champion which has almost everything but I’ve also gone thru an OEM fitter. Just all depends to me.

If my heart is set on one specific brand then going to someone who just fits that brand makes more sense to me. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 1 month later...

selecting a fitter is akin to selecting a swing coach.

If you are wondering about a fitting, call the fitter and ask them to explain their fitting process. If it makes sense to you then you are on your way to a good experience

Ask any other general question that might be important to you such as price, discounts, companies used etc.  If they address swing flaws.

If you have a good feeling about the fitter then schedule the time. IF not move along as chances are you will mentally fight the process and the experience will be poor.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 3 weeks later...
I was going to post something very similar.  Definitely make sure they are not tied to one brand and have the multiple fitting carts as RB mentioned. 
Also as others above said, ask questions don't feel you need to commit on your first visit or call, ask them them how they determine lie angle for example.   if he says a lie board, I'd be inclined to keep looking as that has become kind of an outdated method.   Just specific questions like that.   if you don't know the answers, you can always come back here and post his commnents and see what the general conscientious is. 

What are the other methods besides a lie board?

Watch a few of the TXG videos on youtube. They're a high end fitting studio in Toronto and Ian (their master fitter) does an excellent job of explaining the process in which he decides to fit people. You may even see a famous MGS forum member make an appearance. But he has a few about fitting mid or high-handicappers which are really good. 

That will give you a taste to the things a good fitter will do or ask you about. Most good fitters should have a conversation or interview with you before the fitting where you tell them what you're looking for (even if it's over the phone). But like others have said, if you talk with somebody and don't get a good vibe, move on. If you're apprehensive going into a fitting, it's not likely to go well. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

8 hours ago, Mizuno_fan said:

Launch Monitors should be able to tell where the ball is being impacted on the club and how the club was delivered when it hit the ground. That should tell the fitter what needs to be adjusted. 

Some will also use ball flight (or more accurately, starting direction) to make minor change. In reality, lie angle is probably the last part of your fitting and is just used to tweak for the best possible results. Even playing a club where the lie angle is not optimal will not impact your game a tremendous amount.

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

The best fitting I’ve ever been through was at Miles of Golf back home in Michigan. The one concept they used that has not been done since, was using video to get proper lie angle for my irons. They filmed me swinging, and on numerous swings, they “drew lines” to see what the angle of the shaft was at impact. By doing this, they figured out the lie angle for my irons, to a “T”, and didn’t have to worry about the inaccuracy of lie boards or other means. Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

This is something I've always struggled with. Outside of big box stores, I have a few places around me and have always had mixed results. I've been to some of Golf Digest's Top 100, and in that fitting he didn't even have me hit my current gamer. Ironically the one place I feel most comfortable with is our local Dicks Sporting Goods. I frequent there a lot after work and tend to hit quite a bit on the monitor, and after spending so much time there, I trust the guys there a lot. Good group, knowledgeable and will answer any of my questions that I have. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

7 hours ago, Champreilly said:

All you need is a launch monitor it won’t lie, and someone who can understand and interpret those numbers to you clearly. 

That’s an over simplication. There’s a lot more that goes into it and a good fitter uses the numbers as a way to show the golfer what’s going on and then the results after tweaking the setup. 

Getting the right setup based on what the golfer feels, what the fitter sees in the persons swing from how the shaft loads and gets delivered to impact. 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s an over simplication. There’s a lot more that goes into it and a good fitter uses the numbers as a way to show the golfer what’s going on and then the results after tweaking the setup. 

Getting the right setup based on what the golfer feels, what the fitter sees in the persons swing from how the shaft loads and gets delivered to impact. 

Agree 100%. The experience also to be able to suggest different heads, shafts, weights etc. to the golfer based on what you're seeing is invaluable. I can walk into any launch monitor, hit balls and make decisions based on what I see (I have seen them used enough that I have at least an average understanding of those numbers). Where I don't have the experience is what adjustments might make my numbers better, or more consistent. That's where the fitters make their money. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

9 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Agree 100%. The experience also to be able to suggest different heads, shafts, weights etc. to the golfer based on what you're seeing is invaluable. I can walk into any launch monitor, hit balls and make decisions based on what I see (I have seen them used enough that I have at least an average understanding of those numbers). Where I don't have the experience is what adjustments might make my numbers better, or more consistent. That's where the fitters make their money. 

The ping rep that used to be in my area before he was moved to Philly and eventually quit to work for pxg was that type of fitter. He would watch swing, ball flight ask question to the golfer about how the shaft felt, what they thought, etc. based on all that he would go grad a different shaft and then explain the change and what he was looking to accomplish based on the feedback. He put me in a couple shafts in my g20 driver and i20 4w that I would never imagined would be the one that worked and then he had me swing on the gc2 we could see increase in launch characteristics and see improve distance.  

I live in Florida - I have three fitters that worked on tour vans within 10 miles of my house and the club repair at my club is free.

The guy whom I go to is hardly brand agnostic you will get Ping, Callaway, Mizuno or TMag because that who he has Carts for. But within that family you will get what’s best for you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've only been to one guy and it was to do a bag analysis and get loft and lie adjusted. He was recommended by the PGA Professional at my home course. He does a great job, is a good player, and has a good range of club heads and shafts from a variety of manufacturers. When I worked with him, he was very informative, friendly, and honest. He normally charges $125 for that service, but we went through the bag so quickly and he didn't have to make too many adjustments so he only charged me $75. I will likely go to him again for the same thing and he'll be at the top of my list should I ever have money for a whole new set. The only issue I have with his current setup is that I can't hit off grass or see ball flight. It's just a mat and net. When we got to the driver last time I was in there it said I was only getting the ball 45 FEET in the air and only carrying 211 yards (the same as my 3-wood on that particular day). I've never had trouble getting the ball in the air like that and as soon as I left I had a brief conversation with my course pro before putting all the settings back to the way I had them previously.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 7:06 AM, tony@CIC said:

Or having the latest LM?

I asked the same questions in my response to @PMookienew driver thread and his not so good experience with the Taylormade rep/fitter.  What really makes a club fitter a fitter?  I chose a PGA Professional Fitter in Bozeman, MT and the experience was great.  He only had Ping, Mizuno, Taylormade and one other less known brand (don't recall name) and their respective modular fitting carts.  His LM was, by all accounts state-of-art.  I recall him saying he planned to add some additional mfg's. (he had just opened in 2017) and I plan to check back with him this spring when we get home.

While I did see some improvement in distance and accuracy, it hasn't moved me to ditch my current irons...close though 😄. Moreover, there are some other brands that have my interest; Callaway, Titleist, Wilson, Wishon and perhaps Sub70. It's mind-boggling looking at the drop down shaft selection lists on the mfg's. websites. If your fitter dosen't have these, how do you know they might not be the holy grail?  It sure would be nice to find a place that has a really full deck of mfg's, models, and options, a top notch (maybe "master") fitter, and see if I can be pushed off the fence. 

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/club-fitting-101-why-you-should-get-fit-and-what-you-need-to-know

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 1/20/2019 at 10:30 PM, Mizuno_fan said:

In addition to using a lie board, the fitter I used last summer also used the Foresight LM CAD images of my club at impact.

• 2 months later...

I want the guy in the Dick's Sporting Goods commercial to do an iron fitting for me.  Seriously, I wonder if he's the real deal or an actor?

That is such a great question. I'm a fitter, retired, and work for a "big box" golf retailer for fun, but it was important that I knew what I was doing. The store has ZERO training, and I spent my own money traveling to So CA and visiting several club manufacturers, a putting manufacturer, and a shaft manufacturer to learn about fitting and how to do it right! The general manager at my store is only interested in the sale, not the process...he couldn't care less and that is a shame! Believe it or not, our store is on the 100 best fitters list because of the sales volume, not quality of fitting, and McDonald hamburger employees are paid more than us! You need to ask the fitter what his background is and has he been trained directly by manufacturers, not on-line. If not, go to someone else. He may have been hired as a "body" with zero training, which is what so many companies, including mine, actually do! Pretty sad!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

29 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

That is such a great question. I'm a fitter, retired, and work for a "big box" golf retailer for fun, but it was important that I knew what I was doing. The store has ZERO training, and I spent my own money traveling to So CA and visiting several club manufacturers, a putting manufacturer, and a shaft manufacturer to learn about fitting and how to do it right! The general manager at my store is only interested in the sale, not the process...he couldn't care less and that is a shame! Believe it or not, our store is on the 100 best fitters list because of the sales volume, not quality of fitting, and McDonald hamburger employees are paid more than us! You need to ask the fitter what his background is and has he been trained directly by manufacturers, not on-line. If not, go to someone else. He may have been hired as a "body" with zero training, which is what so many companies, including mine, actually do! Pretty sad!

Word!   

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug