tony@CIC

Selecting the right club fitter

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s an over simplication. There’s a lot more that goes into it and a good fitter uses the numbers as a way to show the golfer what’s going on and then the results after tweaking the setup. 

Getting the right setup based on what the golfer feels, what the fitter sees in the persons swing from how the shaft loads and gets delivered to impact. 

Agree 100%. The experience also to be able to suggest different heads, shafts, weights etc. to the golfer based on what you're seeing is invaluable. I can walk into any launch monitor, hit balls and make decisions based on what I see (I have seen them used enough that I have at least an average understanding of those numbers). Where I don't have the experience is what adjustments might make my numbers better, or more consistent. That's where the fitters make their money. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Agree 100%. The experience also to be able to suggest different heads, shafts, weights etc. to the golfer based on what you're seeing is invaluable. I can walk into any launch monitor, hit balls and make decisions based on what I see (I have seen them used enough that I have at least an average understanding of those numbers). Where I don't have the experience is what adjustments might make my numbers better, or more consistent. That's where the fitters make their money. 

The ping rep that used to be in my area before he was moved to Philly and eventually quit to work for pxg was that type of fitter. He would watch swing, ball flight ask question to the golfer about how the shaft felt, what they thought, etc. based on all that he would go grad a different shaft and then explain the change and what he was looking to accomplish based on the feedback. He put me in a couple shafts in my g20 driver and i20 4w that I would never imagined would be the one that worked and then he had me swing on the gc2 we could see increase in launch characteristics and see improve distance.  

• Like 1

I live in Florida - I have three fitters that worked on tour vans within 10 miles of my house and the club repair at my club is free.

The guy whom I go to is hardly brand agnostic you will get Ping, Callaway, Mizuno or TMag because that who he has Carts for. But within that family you will get what’s best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've only been to one guy and it was to do a bag analysis and get loft and lie adjusted. He was recommended by the PGA Professional at my home course. He does a great job, is a good player, and has a good range of club heads and shafts from a variety of manufacturers. When I worked with him, he was very informative, friendly, and honest. He normally charges $125 for that service, but we went through the bag so quickly and he didn't have to make too many adjustments so he only charged me $75. I will likely go to him again for the same thing and he'll be at the top of my list should I ever have money for a whole new set. The only issue I have with his current setup is that I can't hit off grass or see ball flight. It's just a mat and net. When we got to the driver last time I was in there it said I was only getting the ball 45 FEET in the air and only carrying 211 yards (the same as my 3-wood on that particular day). I've never had trouble getting the ball in the air like that and as soon as I left I had a brief conversation with my course pro before putting all the settings back to the way I had them previously.

On 11/26/2018 at 7:06 AM, tony@CIC said:

How do you decide if a fitter is the right one for you, if you don’t have a personal referral:

Obviously, credentials play a part.

Maybe they’re on the GD 100 Best Fitters list?

Or having the latest LM?

Being OEM agnostic makes sense – vs steering golfers to one brand or another.

Perhaps listening - especially when you say you’re on a budget?

What else comes to mind in your decision-making process?.

I asked the same questions in my response to @PMookienew driver thread and his not so good experience with the Taylormade rep/fitter.  What really makes a club fitter a fitter?  I chose a PGA Professional Fitter in Bozeman, MT and the experience was great.  He only had Ping, Mizuno, Taylormade and one other less known brand (don't recall name) and their respective modular fitting carts.  His LM was, by all accounts state-of-art.  I recall him saying he planned to add some additional mfg's. (he had just opened in 2017) and I plan to check back with him this spring when we get home.

While I did see some improvement in distance and accuracy, it hasn't moved me to ditch my current irons...close though 😄. Moreover, there are some other brands that have my interest; Callaway, Titleist, Wilson, Wishon and perhaps Sub70. It's mind-boggling looking at the drop down shaft selection lists on the mfg's. websites. If your fitter dosen't have these, how do you know they might not be the holy grail?  It sure would be nice to find a place that has a really full deck of mfg's, models, and options, a top notch (maybe "master") fitter, and see if I can be pushed off the fence. 

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/club-fitting-101-why-you-should-get-fit-and-what-you-need-to-know

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:30 PM, Mizuno_fan said:

What are the other methods besides a lie board?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In addition to using a lie board, the fitter I used last summer also used the Foresight LM CAD images of my club at impact.

• Like 1

I want the guy in the Dick's Sporting Goods commercial to do an iron fitting for me.  Seriously, I wonder if he's the real deal or an actor?

That is such a great question. I'm a fitter, retired, and work for a "big box" golf retailer for fun, but it was important that I knew what I was doing. The store has ZERO training, and I spent my own money traveling to So CA and visiting several club manufacturers, a putting manufacturer, and a shaft manufacturer to learn about fitting and how to do it right! The general manager at my store is only interested in the sale, not the process...he couldn't care less and that is a shame! Believe it or not, our store is on the 100 best fitters list because of the sales volume, not quality of fitting, and McDonald hamburger employees are paid more than us! You need to ask the fitter what his background is and has he been trained directly by manufacturers, not on-line. If not, go to someone else. He may have been hired as a "body" with zero training, which is what so many companies, including mine, actually do! Pretty sad!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

That is such a great question. I'm a fitter, retired, and work for a "big box" golf retailer for fun, but it was important that I knew what I was doing. The store has ZERO training, and I spent my own money traveling to So CA and visiting several club manufacturers, a putting manufacturer, and a shaft manufacturer to learn about fitting and how to do it right! The general manager at my store is only interested in the sale, not the process...he couldn't care less and that is a shame! Believe it or not, our store is on the 100 best fitters list because of the sales volume, not quality of fitting, and McDonald hamburger employees are paid more than us! You need to ask the fitter what his background is and has he been trained directly by manufacturers, not on-line. If not, go to someone else. He may have been hired as a "body" with zero training, which is what so many companies, including mine, actually do! Pretty sad!

Word!