TESTERS WANTED! ×

Attention all golfers

Let me start by saying I searched to see if there was a topic like this and couldn’t find one and I put it here due to the relevance if it needs moved let me know and I will move it.

With that out of the way let me start with a few questions.

Did you buy your clubs from an auction site?

Did you walk into a local store and buy them off the wall?

With a driver is your swing speed more than 90?

With irons more than 70?

If you answered yes to any of these questions let me tell you how you may be hurting your game more than helping.

This is in no way bashing any store that sells clubs in any way. These are just random facts that the average consumer does not know.

The average golfer is 52-63 with swing speeds ranging from 60-85. These are mostly retired men and women that get to golf more often than the average joe working 40 hours a week. Which is where we all want to be right? Retired and on the course!!! I can’t wait!!!!

Companies that put their clubs in these stores target the “normal” golfer. Meaning their shafts, flex, and even weight is based on that average information of golfers. So when you buy those beautiful clubs off the shelf that you hit the 7 iron crisp and you think it’s an amazing feel and you are so eager to go play..... but then when u do you can’t seem to perform the way you did on that simulator you blame it on an adjustment period, but could the problem be they are wrong for you?

Please get fitted, spend the extra money, make the right choice for what’s going to be in your bag so you are not dropping money on irons left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think there are a lot of responses to posts about clubs stating that you should get fit. MGS forums are very fitting aware and we always recommend fitting. You are definitely correct that fitting is important, but I would say that it is recommended for all golfers and not based on ability or swing speed. You will also find that some people don’t care about performance and just want shiny new toys; which is what helps them enjoy the game.

I wish you age group and retired was accurate. I am in the bottom of that bracket and probably won’t be retired when I hit the top of that bracket.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Saying "Attention All Golfers" in the MGS Forum is like saying, "Attention all Fish" in the ocean.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I think there are a lot of responses to posts about clubs stating that you should get fit. MGS forums are very fitting aware and we always recommend fitting. You are definitely correct that fitting is important, but I would say that it is recommended for all golfers and not based on ability or swing speed. You will also find that some people don’t care about performance and just want shiny new toys; which is what helps them enjoy the game.

I wish you age group and retired was accurate. I am in the bottom of that bracket and probably won’t be retired when I hit the top of that bracket.

Most of us this day and age won’t know what retirement is at al unfortunately.
Please don’t get me wrong I wasn’t implying only certain people need fitting I was just letting people know what those clubs on the wall were rated at. That’s something I had no clue about so my buddy was showing me how they did it and I just wanted to share that information with everyone.

Saying "Attention All Golfers" in the MGS Forum is like saying, "Attention all Fish" in the ocean.

🤣so it worked is what you’re saying

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, Mizuno_fan said:

The average golfer is 52-63 with swing speeds ranging from 60-85. These are mostly retired men and women that get to golf more often than the average joe working 40 hours a week.

Out of curiosity

Where did you get tthat information on the average age of golfer?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

The MGS age poll conducted a couple of years ago showed a standard bell curve with the largest age group being 41-50.  I'm guessing that the average MGS swing speed is more like 95-105 mph.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I thought this post was going to be some type of sales pitch. Happy it was not......

Still I’ll bite. I’m of average height with average strength and average athletic ability. Up until my recent inclusion in the Ping i210 irons review I had never been fitted. Ping fitted me to 2 degrees upright and an extra 3/4 of an inch on the shaft length. I played these irons exclusively for 90 days and I can honestly say (backed by statistical data) the fitting made no significant improvement in my overall iron play. Upon completion of the review I switched back to my original irons.

I bought my Mizuno MP-5s sight unseen; standard loft, lie, length, shaft and grips. So for arguments sake let’s say off the shelf clubs are absolutely fitting (play on words) for a large majority of Golfers. If Golf companies have researched the median requirements for the average golfer and provided equipment to that target group then most golfers can find exactly what best fits them without use of a strike plate, launch monitor or video swing analysis.

Another point to consider is the evolution of swing characteristics of a specific golfer. I bought my first set of irons in 1997. I replaced them in 2008. My current set I bought in 2016. There is almost a 10 year gap between each purchase. A golfers swing characteristics evolve all the time. If you are fitted too far from the left and or right of standard then over just a short period of time you might find yourself playing a club that is not even close to the specifications you need to optimize your game.

I guess my point here is..... not everyone needs to be fitted. The golf manufacturers know what they are doing and what they provide on the shelf is absolutely fitting for a large majority of Golfers.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I’m planning on retiring at age 55.

I’m also old enough to remember fitting carts carrying a 5 iron.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

13 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I guess my point here is..... not everyone needs to be fitted. The golf manufacturers know what they are doing and what they provide on the shelf is absolutely fitting for a large majority of Golfers.

Good point.  Back when I purchased my PE2's (1988) the "fitting" consisted of a couple physical measurements, hitting into a net, and and a striker plate.  My iron fitting this past summer in Bozeman, using a state-of-art LM, yielded a ton of data that basically matched, now 30 years later, the same conclusion except that I'm borderline for needing the +1/2 shaft length.  I agree that the golf manufacturers know what they are doing with respect to off-the-shelf club spec's.  It also showed an $1100 bill will get me roughly 8 more yards in distance and 3 yards closer to the center-stripe (still haven't made the leap 🤣).

I think what @Mizuno_fanis trying to point out is that, while the odds are one fits within the bell curve's average swing mechanics/measurements, there is the possibility they don't - so why not take advantage of the latest technology to be sure.  I would definitely advise those brand new to the game and journeymen players to get fitted by a competent PGA fitter that uses SOA LM technology.  It's a small price to pay and wise investment IMHO.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

You can also (if not seeing favorable results with your set) visit a reputable fitter, and have your existing clubs optimized. 

Ie: if you like your clubs, shots feel right but are not seeing your preferred ball flight, and have not discovered any known swing tendency changes. 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

On 12/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, bens197 said:

I’m planning on retiring at age 55.

I’m also old enough to remember fitting carts carrying a 5 iron.

Yeah and "our" 5 iron is like today's 6 iron---- Kinda like back in the day "This ain't your father's Oldsmobile" OH CRAP! they don't make Oldsmobiles any more either----- I am getting too damn old

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 12/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, SteddyGolf said:

I thought this post was going to be some type of sales pitch. Happy it was not......

Still I’ll bite. I’m of average height with average strength and average athletic ability. Up until my recent inclusion in the Ping i210 irons review I had never been fitted. Ping fitted me to 2 degrees upright and an extra 3/4 of an inch on the shaft length. I played these irons exclusively for 90 days and I can honestly say (backed by statistical data) the fitting made no significant improvement in my overall iron play. Upon completion of the review I switched back to my original irons.

I bought my Mizuno MP-5s sight unseen; standard loft, lie, length, shaft and grips. So for arguments sake let’s say off the shelf clubs are absolutely fitting (play on words) for a large majority of Golfers. If Golf companies have researched the median requirements for the average golfer and provided equipment to that target group then most golfers can find exactly what best fits them without use of a strike plate, launch monitor or video swing analysis.

Another point to consider is the evolution of swing characteristics of a specific golfer. I bought my first set of irons in 1997. I replaced them in 2008. My current set I bought in 2016. There is almost a 10 year gap between each purchase. A golfers swing characteristics evolve all the time. If you are fitted too far from the left and or right of standard then over just a short period of time you might find yourself playing a club that is not even close to the specifications you need to optimize your game.

You are absolutely correct on one's swing changing with time----- I have had to learn this reluctantly recently--- With me it has not had anything to do with swing mechanics per say but swing speed---- Yeah back in the day I was the big guy swing rebar shafts. As I have aged I have went softer and softer. In all honesty I have had trouble accepting it but I have came to deal with it. Yeah for me now it is regular soft shafts in the driver and FW and even vintage Hogan Apex #2 steel shafts (senior flex) in some of my vintage Macs. Recently I have been experimenting with graphite ( 90 gram) in a set of Forged KZG CBs. Something else that may be a urban legend but I have heard that people shrink with age height wise. I am not a doctor or scientist so I do not know on that. I do know for me at 61 I am the same height of 6' 2" that I was as a teenager. I can see if that is really the case one's swing and AOA would certainly change.  I do know this for a fact from my own experience that as we age the hand eye coordination changes. That has really affected me since basically I am a handsy feel player. My hands and eyes do not work as they used to. Something else I had to adapt to my game was that I can not pull off some of the shots I used to because I do not practice or play as much. Every now and then the testerone gets up and I will try something and it does not work and I have to sternly remind myself "Dammit Stuey you ain't 25 no more. Then again on the ballsy side I pull it of and chuckle "yeah man you still got it" 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yeah and "our" 5 iron is like today's 6 iron---- Kinda like back in the day "This ain't your father's Oldsmobile" OH CRAP! they don't make Oldsmobiles any more either----- I am getting too damn old

This was the greatest, most comfortable and easiest to repair vehicle ever made. Change my mind....

IMG_1787.JPG
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

While I agree a fitting is wise and I still hope to get a full driver fitting this winter, I am having a blast buying and selling the wrong heads and shafts!!!!  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

On 12/22/2018 at 12:42 PM, bens197 said:

This was the greatest, most comfortable and easiest to repair vehicle ever made. Change my mind....

IMG_1787.JPG

NAAH not that version--- Everything crammed under that small hood and the downsized interior to boot--- Plus one would catch hell trying to cram a staff bag in that tiny trunk---- Definitely not my Dad's Oldsmobile but then again my old man was a Ford man ( OOPS hope the mods do not slap my hand for the use of a four letter word here early on Christmas Eve). I think the last of the big Olds were made in 79 the trunks on those things you could load several staff bags and Jimmy Hoffa in😀

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I think the last of the big Olds were made in 79 the trunks on those things you could load several staff bags and Jimmy Hoffa in😀

Yes, but how many dead hookers would fit in it? 🤣

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

NAAH not that version--- Everything crammed under that small hood and the downsized interior to boot--- Plus one would catch hell trying to cram a staff bag in that tiny trunk---- Definitely not my Dad's Oldsmobile but then again my old man was a Ford man ( OOPS hope the mods do not slap my hand for the use of a four letter word here early on Christmas Eve). I think the last of the big Olds were made in 79 the trunks on those things you could load several staff bags and Jimmy Hoffa in😀

Ha Stu!! Funny.  No slapping of hands on Christmas Eve.  My very first car was a 1970 Ford Torino.  My current Is a 2018 Fod Edge...but lots of Toyotas in between the two. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

That reminded me - at one point I had a Buick Electra. It was like driving your living room sofa down the highway; soft, cushy and huge! How did I ever park that car??? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

That reminded me - at one point I had a Buick Electra. It was like driving your living room sofa down the highway; soft, cushy and huge! How did I ever park that car??? 

That’s what I miss. The bench seats with cloth that you could draw patterns with your hands. And who could forget that rubbing for the casual elegance. Those were machines.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

NAAH not that version--- Everything crammed under that small hood and the downsized interior to boot--- Plus one would catch hell trying to cram a staff bag in that tiny trunk---- Definitely not my Dad's Oldsmobile but then again my old man was a Ford man ( OOPS hope the mods do not slap my hand for the use of a four letter word here early on Christmas Eve). I think the last of the big Olds were made in 79 the trunks on those things you could load several staff bags and Jimmy Hoffa in

Hahaha I can’t argue that. But look at it from my point of view as a young kid driving. Scoop up one of these beauties from an auction with 6-10 years on it and 36,000 miles and you’re set.

Change the fluid, change the brakes, rotors and rotate the tires.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

6 hours ago, MattF said:

At least 6 or at least that is what a friend of mine said anyhow

G

Inquiring minds want to know!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 12/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, bens197 said:

IMG_1787.JPG

This was my Oldsmobile.  Well, not mine, but I had one in then exact same color.  One of the best cars I ever owned; wish i still did.  11mpg in town;  11 mpg on the hwy, but what the ...?!

31404.jpg.8c0b6eb7bc018c272c990d60602266d1.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This was my Oldsmobile.  Well, not mine, but I had one in then exact same color.  One of the best cars I ever owned; wish i still did.  11mpg in town;  11 mpg on the hwy, but what the ...?!
31404.jpg.8c0b6eb7bc018c272c990d60602266d1.jpg

Nice car - tell me it didn't have an automatic tranny

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

are trannys automatic now? what next? 😉😋😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

5 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Nice car - tell me it didn't have an automatic tranny

It didn't have an automatic tranny.

Close ratio 4-speed and 4:11 gears.  That's why it got 11 mpg no matter how or where you drove it.

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It didn't have an automatic tranny.

Close ratio 4-speed and 4:11 gears.  That's why it got 11 mpg no matter how or where you drove it.

Bet there was a bit of rubber laid down on the asphalt. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 11/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, Mizuno_fan said:

Companies that put their clubs in these stores target the “normal” golfer. Meaning their shafts, flex, and even weight is based on that average information of golfers. So when you buy those beautiful clubs off the shelf that you hit the 7 iron crisp and you think it’s an amazing feel and you are so eager to go play..... but then when u do you can’t seem to perform the way you did on that simulator you blame it on an adjustment period, but could the problem be they are wrong for you?

Please get fitted, spend the extra money, make the right choice for what’s going to be in your bag so you are not dropping money on irons left and right.

... If you have never gone through a fitting it is always a very good idea, but I think you might be underestimating the knowledge of forum members. Not all of course, but many know their swings and their equipment needs. I think they are more inclined to buy Mizuno 919 Forged with DGS 105 shafts and stock Mizuno grips that are on the rack, but will order them with Nippon NS Pro Modus 105's and MCC grips. I just don't see most forum members grabbing $1300 worth of irons off the rack and playing them without any custom adjustments. 

... Many of us have fit ourselves thru the years and know our specs pretty well. Mizuno asked me to do a review of their MP59's but wanted me to go through a fitting with their rep to make sure my review would be based on proper secs, which makes sense. I had written a review of the MP63's and played them with KBS Tour S flex at 1/2" long and I soft stepped them once, mostly to have different shafts in my 9 iron and pw. After going through the fitting with the Mizuno rep utilizing the Mizuno Optimizer my recommendation was KBS Tour S flex, 1/2"  long and soft stepped one. I have to admit I was very impressed with the soft step once recommendation. 

... So again, I agree getting fit is always a good idea, but more MGS members probably know what works for their game much better than the average golfer on the street pulling some clubs off the rack and heading to the course. MGS has some pretty savy members. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 12/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, chisag said:

... If you have never gone through a fitting it is always a very good idea, but I think you might be underestimating the knowledge of forum members. Not all of course, but many know their swings and their equipment needs. I think they are more inclined to buy Mizuno 919 Forged with DGS 105 shafts and stock Mizuno grips that are on the rack, but will order them with Nippon NS Pro Modus 105's and MCC grips. I just don't see most forum members grabbing $1300 worth of irons off the rack and playing them without any custom adjustments. 

... Many of us have fit ourselves thru the years and know our specs pretty well. Mizuno asked me to do a review of their MP59's but wanted me to go through a fitting with their rep to make sure my review would be based on proper secs, which makes sense. I had written a review of the MP63's and played them with KBS Tour S flex at 1/2" long and I soft stepped them once, mostly to have different shafts in my 9 iron and pw. After going through the fitting with the Mizuno rep utilizing the Mizuno Optimizer my recommendation was KBS Tour S flex, 1/2"  long and soft stepped one. I have to admit I was very impressed with the soft step once recommendation. 

... So again, I agree getting fit is always a good idea, but more MGS members probably know what works for their game much better than the average golfer on the street pulling some clubs off the rack and heading to the course. MGS has some pretty savy members. 

Good advice.  I know my specs inside and out and still once a year I go and get fit with the set that I have in the bag.  Last year I had to come to the realization that I just could not play X100s anymore and needed to go lighter.  I was shocked that I got fit into DG XP 105s and they play great for me.  Was also surprised that the best wedge shaft for my game was the KBS $ Taper which would not have been in the top 50 of wedge shafts that I would have considered.  Even when you think you know your game there is always room for improvement.  Heck, they even got me into my first sub 70g driver shaft for the first time in my life earlier in the season.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The MGS age poll conducted a couple of years ago showed a standard bell curve with the largest age group being 41-50.  I'm guessing that the average MGS swing speed is more like 95-105 mph.

I’m 72 and driver swing speed is 85. Hopefully gets better or stays same after shoulder surgery. Asked Doc for a bionic shoulder and he didn’t think that was all that funny. After PT going to get fitted and see what the new, if any specs are.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Archived