TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tried the Wilson Cortex - Initial Thoughts & Pics

03trdblack

Had a chance to go to Golf Galaxy over the weekend and they had the Wilson Cortex on display.  Tried out the 9* head w/ the Fujikura Atmos Blue which on paper is the shaft that should suit me the best.  I tend to do well with shafts that have a stiffer butt and tip but a softer middle.  

From a looks perspective, the Cortex is very attractive and on a retail rack it commands the appeal of a premium club.  The face is nice and deep and at address the size and shape is just perfect to my eye.  It is very compact looking and I love the black carbon fiber look.  Some of the quality fades away as you get into the adjustment of the weights but I'll come back to that in a moment.  I was very excited to hit this club after standing over it at address and seeing the shape of the head and Wilson nailed the look behind the ball.

As I started to hit the club the feel and sound was pretty good.  Based on the initial reviews I had read online I somewhat expected the sound to be a little deeper or less metallic but it still have remnants of that weird sound that Wilson drivers have had in the past.  I've had the F5 and the Triton and have also hit the C300 and all of them have a very strange metallic noise that I can only associate with the brand.  Not sure what they are doing when they manufacture heads but the Cortex still had a little of that sound.  The sound is very good though, especially compared to their older drivers and of course the Triton.  I was also hitting indoors so the sound may change out on the course.  Still was pleased with the sound and feel.

The Atmos Blue feels very smooth and maybe just a tad loose in stiff flex.  I was swinging between 101-105 on this particular day according to the monitor and felt the Atmos Blue could be tipped about 1" and would feel perfect.  The shots coming off the face didn't look like they were rocketing off but ballspeed was average.  I'd say it was producing numbers that were in the lower end of most of the drivers I've hit.  Again, nothing bad but nothing really great either.

The biggest problem I had with the driver was trying to get the spin down.  I could not get spin to stay consistently below the 2800 and 3200 RPM range.  I hit a few low on the face and the spin shot way up to 3500+.  I was hitting a little bit of a fade so I swapped the 8 gram toe weight into the heel and put the 2 gram weight into the toe.  This didn't really seem to make any noticeable difference in my shot shape or any with my spin numbers.  I then moved the sliding weight all the way forward to try and see if I could drop the spin any and like the heel/toe weights, nothing really changed.  The feel of the club changed for the worse and my spin numbers seemed to actually go up.  The head definitely feels better with the weight towards the middle and back of the head.  Since the slider didn't do anything for my spin numbers, I moved it back towards the rear as the shots felt so much better.

There was a Wilson C300 9* driver on the used rack and I was able to hit it side by side with the Cortex.  It had the stock Fuji 58 Pro stiff shaft in it which wasn't exactly the same but I immediately dropped my spin by over 1000 RPM's.  I could barely get the C300 above the 2000 RPM mark and the highest spin I got was 2400 on a shot that over-faded to the right.  I immediately picked up 7-12 yards of carry due to the lower spin.  Ballspeed numbers between the Cortex and C300 were identical.  I did hit the C300 lower and found it harder to launch as high which also gave me a lot more roll after landing.  I launched the C300 around 9-11 degrees and the Cortex around 12-13 degrees.  

I didn't have a chance to try the Atmos Black but historically speaking the black's bend profile doesn't work for me.  Since no store will ever have any other shafts to try I doubt I'll have the chance to find another combination that might bring the spin down.  My theory is that the center of gravity of this head is not as low as it could be.  Even though the crown is carbon fiber to remove weight, most of the sole is also which removes that weight from the heavier bottom of the club.  You have weight freed up for the heel/toe weights and the slider but nothing low and back to pull that COG back down.  The carbon fiber inserts in the sole are also raised up into the head which means that the structure that holds them is also up higher in the head.  I can't wait to see where this club sits on the MyGolfSpy Center of Gravity chart!

I mentioned earlier that there was some quality issues as I adjusted the weights.  First off, the screw heads for all the weights are very shallow, shallower than any other weight screws I've adjusted, and the wrench slipped out of them very easily as I was trying to tighten them.  I PROMISE these screws will get stripped very quickly and easily if you adjust the weights a few times and Wilson's wrenches feel like they have a lot of torque to get them to click.  I also noticed that the heel and toe weights don't sit flush with the sole of the driver so it looks like you don't have them tightened all the way down.  Not really a huge deal but worth mentioning.  Also the heel/toe weight screws are very skinny and kind of hard to get started in the hole.  I dropped the damn 2 gram weight (which is just plastic) 3-4 times trying to line it up and get the screw started with the wrench.  It took forever and was slightly frustrating.  The shaft adapter also looks like the same adapter Wilson has been using which means that the hosel is plastic.  This means it will be impossible to reshaft because it will melt and the ferrules are not available without buying the entire tip.  Taylormade used to do this but at least you could get replacement plastic ferrules that had the loft measurements once you destroyed the original.  This means that even trying to find another shaft on my own would be impossible!

All in all I enjoyed hitting the club even though I could never get it to work for me.  The spin was too high and the options to try and get a better fit just don't exist.  Really too bad because the head is absolutely beautiful and perfect looking at address.

IMG_20181124_131318.jpg

IMG_20181124_131322.jpg

IMG_20181124_131326.jpg

IMG_20181124_131336.jpg

My bag is a revolving door!

Good review O3Black. I've actually been thinking about this driver and my interest has been at about a 10 since looking one over recently. I have not hit one yet. Today and after reading your comments/thoughts my interest level has dropped to a 7. The fitting issue might be a problem with me also as there are limited shaft options it seems. Some of the quality issues you mentioned are something for me to consider also. Next time I'm in our PS I'll take a closer look and ask about shaft options. I have a much slower driver SS than you do at around 85-90? but our hcps are close. All very interesting and thanks for posting your thoughts & photos.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great insight, thanks! It is a shame they cut corners during the manufacturing process since they priced it at $499. I did think it would be better performing in the ball speed category but I wasn't sure that the movable weights would make any difference. I have always loved the metallic sound of the Wilson drivers. 🤷‍♂️

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

@03trdblack Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts.  I am a little disappointed to hear about the cost cutting measures.  Despite those, I hope this will be a success for Wilson.  I cannot wait to get my hands on one to try as well.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

What a great write-up. I think this club (once discounted) will appeal to the 'walk-ins' buying off the rack for looks rather than performance or quality. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

What a great write-up. I think this club (once discounted) will appeal to the 'walk-ins' buying off the rack for looks rather than performance or quality. 

You made a good point Tony. At this time I'm a walk-up and have been attracted to the look of the club. However, quality and fitting might be a deal killer for me. We'll see and learn more as the story of this driver unfolds.

EDIT: I went back and looked on Wilson's site and the Cortex. There are 3 mfgs of shafts each with multi options. As with most drivers these days there are several loft, grip, and length options available too. However, I'm not sure how that works for shafts if the shop / fitter doesn't have those shafts available. At my course shop they only have 2 shaft options I think. Red or Blue of some flavor.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

You made a good point Tony. At this time I'm a walk-up and have been attracted to the look of the club. However, quality and fitting might be a deal killer for me. We'll see and learn more as the story of this driver unfolds.

EDIT: I went back and looked on Wilson's site and the Cortex. There are 3 mfgs of shafts each with multi options. As with most drivers these days there are several loft, grip, and length options available too. However, I'm not sure how that works for shafts if the shop / fitter doesn't have those shafts available. At my course shop they only have 2 shaft options I think. Red or Blue of some flavor.

I'd be surprised how many of those shafts end up at a store to try out.  Golf Galaxy said Wilson didn't even send them any demo clubs so we had to tape up one from the rack.

My bag is a revolving door!

Thanks for the great write up 03trdblack. I will admit every time I see a pic of the Cortex in the address position it gets better looking. I love the round compact shape. I am hoping to get somewhere soon to hold this bad boy in my own hands but if I was going to buy a club on looks alone, from the pics I have seen it would be the Cortex or the yellow Cobra F9. I think Wilson accomplished their goal of a premium looking driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I do think the Cortex looks the best of all the W/S driver so far, however I honestly have no idea if I'll even get a chance to demo one given how narrow their distribution is. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I hit it at Golf Galaxy on Black Friday while my wife spent too much money...lol

I’m not sure about it, just never really could get to work....too much spin for me too, I kept seeing a ballooning effect.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to PGA Superstore for a driver fitting. Didn’t have any specific driver in mind to replace my F8+(which I loved the looks of but didn’t get fit for) because the ball was just dropping out of the air. I hit some shots with my club and confirmed my spin was to low (1800rpm with a cut) for my 101 mph swing speed. So I told the fitter that I don’t like the look of a closed club face, because I hit a cut, and to bring me suggestions. After trying several head/shaft combos I was as surprised as anyone to have the Cortex come out on top.  Best combo of distance and dispersion and got my spin numbers up (2000-2400). 

Not to mention it is gorgeous!!

Ended up with 10.5 with the ATMOS Black shaft with the weight in the draw setting (to help keep the cut from over cutting) and spin weight in middle front.

PGA superstore gave me a good trade in on my F8+ to help take away the sting of the hefty price tag. 

Ill update it after it has made the trip to Hilton Head for a golf trip at the end of January. It will be a good test since most HH courses are tight driving holes. 

1 minute ago, JPT said:

I just went to PGA Superstore for a driver fitting. Didn’t have any specific driver in mind to replace my F8+(which I loved the looks of but didn’t get fit for) because the ball was just dropping out of the air. I hit some shots with my club and confirmed my spin was to low (1800rpm with a cut) for my 101 mph swing speed. So I told the fitter that I don’t like the look of a closed club face, because I hit a cut, and to bring me suggestions. After trying several head/shaft combos I was as surprised as anyone to have the Cortex come out on top.  Best combo of distance and dispersion and got my spin numbers up. Not to mention it is gorgeous!!

Ended up with 10.5 with the ATMOS Black shaft with the weight in the draw setting (to help keep the cut from over cutting) and spin weight in middle front.

PGA superstore gave me a good trade in on my F8+ to help take away the sting of the hefty price tag. 

Ill update it after it has made the trip to Hilton Head for a golf trip st end of January. It will be a good test since most HH courses are tight driving holes. 

Did they have fitting/demo heads? What shaft options did they have 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

31 minutes ago, JPT said:

They did have a demo head and the red, blue and black ATMOS shaft available to test. The ATMOS shaft is $300 bucks to buy alone but Wilson has no upcharge. 

Thanks. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 11/26/2018 at 6:16 PM, 03trdblack said:

I'd be surprised how many of those shafts end up at a store to try out.  Golf Galaxy said Wilson didn't even send them any demo clubs so we had to tape up one from the rack.

Great review-- Did not know you were over here too--- Hey you gotta post your Boston on your avatar here too--- These guys will love it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Still no interest in this, and the review I just read, doesn’t help. I wish I could like this one after watching the show, but I just can’t, and 499 with questionable screws and Adapter fittings sounds like Wilson missed again. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Ballspeed numbers are slower than just about anything else on the market and the 2019 drivers are looking to be hot off the face again this year! 

I haven’t seen a lot mentioning slower ball speeds. Everything I have read have been stating similar ball speeds but higher launch and spin. Granted I haven’t had a chance to hit it myself yet but I’m hoping to before too long. Also nobody seems to be able to demo with a shaft that fits so I wonder how skewed everyone’s numbers are and what they would be when properly fit.

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

Every review on youtube so far has had 2-4 mph less ballspeed, same with the C300. 

Everyone?  Rick Shiels review shows 111 CHS and 160.9 BS and that is 1mph slower than his optimal swing speed and above average for ball speed.  Plus keep in mind if he went with a shaft that is better suited for him to reduced the spin and help with launch, the cortex may very well be better than his G400 LST.  As it is he is within a yard or 2 in carry with of his fully fitted driver.  I just don't think your blanket statement that everybody is seeing less ball speed is correct.  It may very well be true for you and some others but certainly not everybody.  

On a side note, not everybody is concerned with ball speed.  I will gladly give up 5-10 yards to find the fairway more often.

Thank you so much for the review. I enjoyed reading it immensely.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

On 12/8/2018 at 3:35 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

. I wish I could like this one after watching the show,

Why?? It' s just a driver that got hyped up by a television show.  

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

14 hours ago, JbcobbIII said:

If the Cortex is equal to the major OEMs in performance and price, most people will choose the other brands! Wilson should have priced this driver at $400-450 to get more people to stop and take a look.

I agree. To win at retail this driver has to outperform other drivers, because at the price point people will go with more trusted brands. This year is shaping up to the Year of the Driver, so Wilson will have it's work cut out for it. 

A high-spin driver is not what the majority of the golfing public wants either, so it will be hard to win on the launch monitor if that's the reality. If I can spin an M1 above 4000 with the weights forward, I wonder what score I can get on this one!!!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

16 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

Why?? It' s just a driver that got hyped up by a television show.  

I didn’t like this one at all through the show, I felt like the Rozwell was better. I should have clarified why. I watch every elisode, and for me, as I watched, the better numbers all came from the Rozwell, I was looking forward to hitting that one, so I have no desire to hit a 400 dollar driver that I have no interest in. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

8 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

I agree. To win at retail this driver has to outperform other drivers, because at the price point people will go with more trusted brands. This year is shaping up to the Year of the Driver, so Wilson will have it's work cut out for it. 

A high-spin driver is not what the majority of the golfing public wants either, so it will be hard to win on the launch monitor if that's the reality. If I can spin an M1 above 4000 with the weights forward, I wonder what score I can get on this one!!!

The WS technology hasn't caught up with the WS marketing. DvD has an appeal to a niche customer base. But, that base also has pretty good knowledge about what they're looking for (re:data). So again, as stated in an earlier post, this driver once the price is lowered may have an appeal to the non discriminating economic buyer wowed by the looks.. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This is why the Tour Edge EXS driver has moved up to #1 on my list. Good reviews, performance numbers look good, low spin and good MOI, and $299.99. That's hard to beat!

To be fair it goes the same way for the TEE EXS at $299. For that price you can get a new Ping G400 (non max) driver with the drop in prices now.

Archived