TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tried the Wilson Cortex - Initial Thoughts & Pics

03trdblack

I hit the G400 Max. I didn't care for it. Felt like swinging a shoebox on a stick.

Did you try any other G400’s?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The G400 LST is a special club!

Ohhh it sure is

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The Cortex is a driver that can stand with the other drivers.

I did a review of the driver cortex review

The specs are interesting at not the standard OEM specs. particularly in length and swing weight.

I really didn't think the Fuji shaft was going to work in the club because of my previous bias to the construction of other models, thinking they were all the same. Wellllll,.. come to find out Im a bonehead and this white ATMOS is a pretty nice shaft.

I only wish Wilson would make this a part of one of their categories. There is a driver for the D and C models. How about putting it in the F category and follow it with a hybrid or FW. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

No matter what the ball speed or distance numbers are, the only number that really matters is price. I can't see anyone picking this up at $499, even W/S homers.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

21 minutes ago, JbcobbIII said:

I can't figure out why the DvD drivers (that sounds ridiculous as I type it), are stand alone clubs. As mentioned above, why not make it an F, C, D model? 

Because it’s not as much about the driver as it is the show and  uioding brand recognition and changing the perception of the brand.  The driver and “design” process is the tool used to draw attention to the show and brand 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Because it’s not as much about the driver as it is the show and  uioding brand recognition and changing the perception of the brand.  The driver and “design” process is the tool used to draw attention to the show and brand 

The problem with Wilson trying to build brand recognition is that Wilson still makes boxed clubs. They really should change the name of the upper line from Wilson Staff to Prostaff or something similar. That would take away any perception of Wilson not being an upper echelon brand.  

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

27 minutes ago, GB13 said:

The problem with Wilson trying to build brand recognition is that Wilson still makes boxed clubs. They really should change the name of the upper line from Wilson Staff to Prostaff or something similar. That would take away any perception of Wilson not being an upper echelon brand.  

Yeah that association doesn’t help. I don’t recall where I saw it but it sounded like they are actually looking st doing away with the staff part and the w/s logo. I’ve noticed some of their pros hats just have Wilson in the front now. Saw it a few times in the show too.

imo that’s not a good move for what you say about needing to separate the brand.  The bad thing is without those boxes sets w/s would t be around at all. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 hours ago, GB13 said:

This, in my opinion, is an out-dated and not entirely convincing argument. Callaway and Tour Edge both make boxed sets available at places like WalMart. Tour Edge's higher end line is the Tour Edge Exotics, which is one word difference, just like Wilson/Staff. Yet you don't normally hear people complain about TEE quality simply because they can buy a Tour Edge boxed set someplace. 

27 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

This, in my opinion, is an out-dated and not entirely convincing argument. Callaway and Tour Edge both make boxed sets available at places like WalMart. Tour Edge's higher end line is the Tour Edge Exotics, which is one word difference, just like Wilson/Staff. Yet you don't normally hear people complain about TEE quality simply because they can buy a Tour Edge boxed set someplace. 

I have to agree with you on this. Using my BMX history as an example, I used to get a bunch of flack from other kids because I rode a Mongoose (we're talking early 2000's Mongoose, not 1970/80's Mongoose). It was not uncommon to get a question or comment about buying my bike from Walmart, but I rode a Dennis McCoy model (look him up) and it was nothing like the box store bikes. Mongoose has long had a stable of pros in both BMX and MTB as well as pro level frames and components made available through local shops and a few online specialty retailers. It's a similar scenario with Goodyear, Samsung, LG, etc., etc.. Many large brands offer "made for" type products that are of lesser quality or have a smaller feature set and sold at a reduced price through big box stores. This is not an uncommon practice - especially for a company like Wilson which does not limit its products to just golf. Mizuno's portfolio of products is very similar to Wilson's and don't forget that Mizuno first started by making baseballs. So yeah, pretty weak on the whole "Wilson can't be taken seriously because they make box sets" argument...

As for the price, I think it's fully appropriate. You have to keep in mind that Wilson didn't release this driver with the expectation that avid golfers would flock to it (though I'm sure several will switch if the performance is there). Their expectation is that the recreational player who maybe hasn't even heard of club fitting will walk over to the rack, see a great looking driver with a price tag to match and give it a go. It's arguably even more in their favor to price it this way when considering someone brand new to the game because Wilson might be the only brand name they recognize.

All that said, I can almost guarantee I won't be buying a Cortex. I won't be buying a Taylormade or a Callaway either though. I'm not fully sold on the carbon fiber or sliding weights (movable weights yes, weight tracks not so much). There may come a day when I don't have much choice, but for now I'll stick with Ping or Titleist or maybe even go with a Mizuno.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Is it really though when Tim Clarke himself admits that the association with Wilson box sets us the reason for the perception and one of the reasons they are using DVD to help change people’s minds and show the consumer Wilson can make a high end club?  Tim has also said without the box sets Wilson would have been done in the golf industry.

Imo it can be confusing for the avg consumer when they hear the golf commercial Tim says it’s the best driver Wilson has ever produced yet they use the W/S logo on the driver toe. You have tour pros wearing hats that have Wilson on the front but clubs have W/S logos. 

Tour Edge to most golfers imo is as a cheap brand and not a lot of credibility. Whether that’s really the case or not for the brand they aren’t oit there trying to market themselves as an elite brand and change consumer minds.

Callaway is a marketing machine and as a result don’t have the image problem Wilson has even though they sell box sets or have gloves that can be bought at Costco.  Callaway is in a different league thanks to their marketing compared to Wilson and Tour edge

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I have to agree with you on this. Using my BMX history as an example, I used to get a bunch of flack from other kids because I rode a Mongoose (we're talking early 2000's Mongoose, not 1970/80's Mongoose). It was not uncommon to get a question or comment about buying my bike from Walmart, but I rode a Dennis McCoy model (look him up) and it was nothing like the box store bikes. Mongoose has long had a stable of pros in both BMX and MTB as well as pro level frames and components made available through local shops and a few online specialty retailers. It's a similar scenario with Goodyear, Samsung, LG, etc., etc.. Many large brands offer "made for" type products that are of lesser quality or have a smaller feature set and sold at a reduced price through big box stores. This is not an uncommon practice - especially for a company like Wilson which does not limit its products to just golf. Mizuno's portfolio of products is very similar to Wilson's and don't forget that Mizuno first started by making baseballs. So yeah, pretty weak on the whole "Wilson can't be taken seriously because they make box sets" argument...

I saw DMC when he was riding for Haro IIRC back in the late-80's. Skyway came around with Matt Hoffman at the same time. Those guys got some incredibly sick air. 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Is it really though when Tim Clarke himself admits that the association with Wilson box sets us the reason for the perception and one of the reasons they are using DVD to help change people’s minds and show the consumer Wilson can make a high end club?  Tim has also said without the box sets Wilson would have been done in the golf industry.

Doesn't that sort of prove my point, however, that it's an out-dated way of thinking? 

We can talk marketing budgets all we want - the vast majority of golfers aren't on forums or subscribing to magazines, they're walking into Dick's to buy some clubs, where the Callaway boxed sites are right next to the Wilsons and the Top Flites. It's great that the boxed sets kept Wilson afloat, but that doesn't correlate to people thinking Wilson = Wilson/Staff.

17 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I saw DMC when he was riding for Haro IIRC back in the late-80's. Skyway came around with Matt Hoffman at the same time. Those guys got some incredibly sick air. 

Doesn't that sort of prove my point, however, that it's an out-dated way of thinking? 

We can talk marketing budgets all we want - the vast majority of golfers aren't on forums or subscribing to magazines, they're walking into Dick's to buy some clubs, where the Callaway boxed sites are right next to the Wilsons and the Top Flites. It's great that the boxed sets kept Wilson afloat, but that doesn't correlate to people thinking Wilson = Wilson/Staff.

I don’t know if it’s an outdated way of thinking or not but it’s the reality of the moment. Wilson/Wilson staff perceived as cheap. 

Consumer sees Wilson and Wilson Staff and know they are same brand and due to the Walmart box sets see the whole golf brand as cheap, especially when watching DVD they show the outside of the HQ building and it’s Wilson logo.  

So even though other brands have similar models of box sets and other offerings brand perceptions are what they are. We all know perception is reality to many.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Tim says it’s the best driver Wilson has ever produced yet they use the W/S logo on the driver toe.

This phrase that everyone keeps using when they post reviews of the club including all of the YouTube reviewers;

"The best driver Wilson has ever produced".  

Let's break that saying down in terms of the auto industry.  Let's say KIA comes out with a super luxury vehicle and it's "The best KIA vehicle that they've ever built" and they want to charge $85,000+ for it and let's say it performs similar to what you can get with the main players in the luxury market.  Even if it was similar, would anyone with that kind of money to spend even give the KIA a second look when it's in the same price range as Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc? 

Same problem with the Wilson.  If someone has premium driver money to spend, why would they choose a Wilson driver over the main players such as Ping, Callaway, TM, Titleist, etc?  Especially when those players have a HUGE selection of shafts and demo heads to hit and get custom fit into.  Now if the Wilson had the same performance as the big names and came in at a lower price point of say $350-$399, it might entice more people who look for better value for money and they might overlook the lack of shafts and fitting options.

Back to the car analogy.  Hyundai came out with the luxury car Genesis and it was a fantastic vehicle that competed with the top luxury vehicles but cost less.  They still couldn't sell them as well due to the car having a Hyundai badge so they broke the luxury brand off and created a new luxury brand specifically called Genesis.  This allowed them to differentiate the nicer product from the cheaper value that Hyundai provided.

If Wilson could do something similar and create an upper tier brand that ONLY had the better equipment then they could start to command the higher price points as people would recognize this as the "luxury" brand.  As others have mentioned they have lost their way with the Wilson vs. Wilson Staff branding and they've slapped Wilson or Wilson Staff on whatever product they feel like using it on which doesn't let the consumer know if what they are using is box set quality or better.  

My bag is a revolving door!

1 minute ago, 03trdblack said:

This phrase that everyone keeps using when they post reviews of the club including all of the YouTube reviewers;

Let's break that saying down in terms of the auto industry.  Let's say KIA comes out with a super luxury vehicle and it's "The best KIA vehicle that they've ever built" and they want to charge $85,000+ for it and let's say it performs similar to what you can get with the main players in the luxury market.  Even if it was similar, would anyone with that kind of money to spend even give the KIA a second look when it's in the same price range as Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc? 

Same problem with the Wilson.  If someone has premium driver money to spend, why would they choose a Wilson driver over the main players such as Ping, Callaway, TM, Titleist, etc?  Especially when those players have a HUGE selection of shafts and demo heads to hit and get custom fit into.  Now if the Wilson had the same performance as the big names and came in at a lower price point of say $350-$399, it might entice more people who look for better value for money and they might overlook the lack of shafts and fitting options.

Back to the car analogy.  Hyundai came out with the luxury car Genesis and it was a fantastic vehicle that competed with the top luxury vehicles but cost less.  They still couldn't sell them as well due to the car having a Hyundai badge so they broke the luxury brand off and created a new luxury brand specifically called Genesis.  This allowed them to differentiate the nicer product from the cheaper value that Hyundai provided.

If Wilson could do something similar and create an upper tier brand that ONLY had the better equipment then they could start to command the higher price points as people would recognize this as the "luxury" brand.  As others have mentioned they have lost their way with the Wilson vs. Wilson Staff branding and they've slapped Wilson or Wilson Staff on whatever product they feel like using it on which doesn't let the consumer know if what they are using is box set quality or better.  

Agree but for whatever reason they seem to be doing away with the staff name in their branding and imo that will only lead to the continuation of the brand perception.  If they stopped making the box sets and kept everything Wilson then that might help but until they do a good job of separating the box sets their perception will be hard to change.

wilson makes some really good irons and their blades have been some of the best made and best looking. I don’t really care for their C and D lines but those are pretty good as well for who they are marketed too. 

Automotive is a great analogy. About 15 years ago VW (which owns Audi and other luxury lines) introduced a high end sedan called the Phaeton. It was priced at about $100k (again 15 years ago). It was a disaster in the US. Because of people's perception that it was just a very expensive VW. For the same price you could have bought a 7 series BMW. For 100k which would you rather have sitting in your driveway.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Well I ordered one just because it looks badass but it better person to best of my m3 that I've lived since day one unfortunately u didn't get my m3 until towards the end of the season so I only played it for a month or two but I've been please, but that cortex colors and deep face looked great to me

I tired the new srixon 785 driver as well and it was a beast but it could've best my m3 in finding fwys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived